New 2013 Real Helmets

KRS1

Got a pic of the Bilmola? Hows the weight and balance compared to the REAL?

Here's the video of the owner giving the helmet an overview...

Here's the overview for the 2013 G-Force...

I think most of the shop's customers now it by now, but it's better to deal with the owner at the back than the girls up front, especially if you're still deciding on what to get.

*know

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got back from a visit to the helmet shop across Suriwong Bookstore.

That guy is a nice guy to deal with.

I also bought a Bilmola from him about 10 months ago

for the scooter. The open faced advantage I think it was called.

Bilmola makes some nice stuff at a good price point.

Recently got a dark shield for my AGV K4 from him too & the price was as good as any discounter in BK

from the web boards.

That other place on Chang Puak Road not far from the moat called Zeromet is a good place too.

The lady that runs it is also nice.

My only complaint about the Real Helmets we looked at for my wife

was they tend to use some really thin plastic around the rear spoiler

to channel air I guess? But it is very flimsy plastic.

I know now all their models use that though.

Also just bought my wife a LS2 full face from CNX Motogear on Chiangmai Lamphun road

was 500 baht cheaper than anyone else.

Nice Helmet too

Edited by mania

The two helmets look very similar in quality so how do the prices compare ?

You can get a G-Force g13 for 2400baht and the Defender for 2500 baht. These are the listed prices but honestly, I paid slightly less for mine since I've been a regular customer for a few years.

You can also get a G-Force g11(the 2011 model) for less than 2000 in the shop.

• 3 weeks later...

In the twelve years I've been riding in Thailand (and a decade before that in the US) I managed to keep my nogging at a safe distance to any kind of pavement. So I don't really care how a helmet holds up on impact, other things are more important to me.

It has to fit; my last helmet cost 1,700 baht, has a Yamaha logo on it and fit better than the other one for 2,400 baht. So I took the Yamaha one.

It has to be light. If it gives you pain after three hours, what's the use?

It has to be quiet. That you can only find out when you ride,after you bought it. The Yamaha helemt always sings a song above 100 km/h. Gets on nerves!

It has to stay cool. Some helmets make you look like you took a shower after a short ride. Hopefully they look good when you wear them on your elbow.

It has to able to get cleaned. Helmets start to stink after a while and submerging the whole thing in a bucket with shampoo over night is not practical.

The lock has to be easy to get to and to work flawlessly. I hate messing with cheap locks that don't open at the first try.

It doesn't have to last and it doesn't have to be expensive. I rather buy two cheap helmets than one expensive one that lasts the same time.

This REAL helmet for 2,400 baht with a liner looks good to me, thanks for the post, I'll check it out!

Edited by Rolo Tomazi

Seriously, what is the lightest good helmet made in Thailand? Reasonably priced - 2000 to 7000bt. Anything carbon under 7000?

HJC is offering the best prices for quality therefore offering a perfect value.

I bought one for gf last weekend from Paddock for 3950 thb and it is pretty good quality, much more better that any Thai brand, you can find sizes for all HJC models in Paddock.

I also see a very well made carbon HJC model for around 9 k there before if i am not remembering wrong.

Also, i see AGV helmets for 6900 thb in Dainese shop which have good graphics and of course quality. There were no sizes for my gf unfortunately so i bought HJC.

Also, Panda Rider has Airoh Helmets and some other brands for sale around 6 - 7 k, all import and very good quality.

if these do not work for you than as last resort, you can go for Real, Bilmola or Rider Helmets, their prices are varying from 1700 to 2500 thb and all of them have similar quality but Bilmola - Honda Bigwing threw special edition model for free and i am surprised by its quality - is the best among them IMO.

My humble opinion is, if it is helmet - which is the major factor drawing the line between life and death on a motorcycle accident- just pay some more and get a good quality recognized international brand and as long as the prices of recognized quality made, good designed brands like AGV or HJC are 2- 3 k more than Thai brands, it is not that meaningful to get Thai made helmet.

Edited by loserlazer

Thanks. It is the lightness in particular I am looking for. I have a Real Stealth, but wouldn't mind splashing out on something a few classes up (and quite a few pounds down...).

9000 is certainly the upper end for me, but I will check out the HJC.

ps - I'll be in Canada this spring - does anyone know if it is cheaper to buy something pretty good over there? Thanks...

It's always a good idea to get a helmet with the most recent safety rating (Snell 2010, ie)- even if it only increases the degree of protection by a slight amount, it's worth it- I would be willing to pay double for a 10% increase in safety.

That said, more expensive brands like Shoei and Arai do use higher quality materials- depending on the model, they also are more comfortable, quieter, lighter, and have superior airflow. The Shoei RF-1100 (XR-1100 in Europe) is my current model of choice- one thing I like about it is that the interior is now fully replaceable by the user- it greatly extends the life of the helmet- the new shield is also fantastic and easily replaceable as well.

It would be very hard to go back to a helmet that doesn't offer the same degree of comfort.

• Like 1

Seriously, what is the lightest good helmet made in Thailand? Reasonably priced - 2000 to 7000bt. Anything carbon under 7000?

HJC is offering the best prices for quality therefore offering a perfect value.

I bought one for gf last weekend from Paddock for 3950 thb and it is pretty good quality, much more better that any Thai brand, you can find sizes for all HJC models in Paddock.

I also see a very well made carbon HJC model for around 9 k there before if i am not remembering wrong.

Also, i see AGV helmets for 6900 thb in Dainese shop which have good graphics and of course quality. There were no sizes for my gf unfortunately so i bought HJC.

Also, Panda Rider has Airoh Helmets and some other brands for sale around 6 - 7 k, all import and very good quality.

if these do not work for you than as last resort, you can go for Real, Bilmola or Rider Helmets, their prices are varying from 1700 to 2500 thb and all of them have similar quality but Bilmola - Honda Bigwing threw special edition model for free and i am surprised by its quality - is the best among them IMO.

My humble opinion is, if it is the helmet - which is the major factor drawing the line between life and death in a motorcycle accident- just pay some more and get a good quality recognized international brand and as long as the prices of recognized quality made, good designed brands like AGV or HJC are 2- 3 k more than Thai brands, it is not that meaningful to get Thai made helmet.

I prefer to spend a few thousand baht more on top quality tires so my chances to get into an accident are much lower. Of course top notch tires and a good helmet are the best way to go!

Thanks. It is the lightness in particular I am looking for. I have a Real Stealth, but wouldn't mind splashing out on something a few classes up (and quite a few pounds down...).

9000 is certainly the upper end for me, but I will check out the HJC.

ps - I'll be in Canada this spring - does anyone know if it is cheaper to buy something pretty good over there? Thanks...

If you want to stick with REAL check out the G-force series.

I had the stealth limited edition and i hated it, too wide, too heavy and always fell off my mirror when hung up cuz it wasnt balanced well.

I really like OGK, the old ones were loud though.

info on helmet weights..

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm

lightest helmet...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nexx-xr1r-carbon/

or maybe not.... they changed something...

lightest flip front... i want one biggrin.png

http://www.designerhelmets.com/shop/helmets/brand/lazer/monaco-pure-carbon-gloss-white.html

Edited by thaicbr

I am wondering about the value statement. Has anyone ever actually tested these Real helmets or seen one after a crash?

For me, value comes from having a better price to performance ratio. That or offering similar performance at the same price and better features. That's why I buy HJC helmets.

Can only vouch for side impact. Hit the road at about 20-30 kph when the bike dropped instantly to the left after a dog ran into the side of the front wheel. Snapped the left collar bone, slight grazing on left arm through the long sleeve shirt, and gravel rash on the left knee where jeans tore open (only mentioning the slight injuries to give an idea of the accident). No hand injuries as was wearing gloves and my watch took most of the impact there! Was wearing a REAL GJ998, there were scratches on the side of the helmet and the side of the visor but didn't feel the head hit at all, and no bumps or bruises on the head. i don't think i had a headache from the head impact, but obviously had too many other things hurting to pay any attention!

I have had a few full face REAL Helmets since then. For running around town i think they are fine; they fit my head nicely anyway! As KRS1 said, i rather sweat a little and have the protection of a full face helmet. I've never had one stolen from my bike, i just hook it under the locked seat, maybe a HJC etc might be a more desirable target. The Bilmolas look nice too. Wanted a double visor helmet and couldn't find the Bilmola Replicon in my size to try the fit, so ended up getting the REAL Orbid, which is also a flip-up (prefer not to have that option as i guess it makes the helmet heavier) but it is supposedly ECE compliant.

Edited by taichiplanet
  • Like 1

In all fairness, i am all for good, safe, reliable helmet that can and does save your life, but wearing any one of those pictured while riding a 115cc or 150cc scooter not only looks ridiculous but also so so so hot, then when you park somewhere need to carry it with you, because it usually gets stolen.

MY 350 baht index half face helmets get stolen when i buy new if i do not take it with me.

Real do open face helmets too. So you can have a nice helmet for the beer run, rather than those Index death traps.