Barracuda And Sharks

HeijoshinCool

I have seen plenty of Giant Barracuda around Phuket. Ive heard two reliable reports of Tiger sharks. One at Koh Tao and one at Phi Phi. But thats 2 in 10 years

That's what I needed to hear, thanks. I believe the Tiger has the 2nd most human attacks, followed by the Great White.

Anyone else?

We see an occasional whale shark cruising by offshore platforms in the Gulf of Thailand- just a few each year and we have tho fill out a "Mammal Sighting Report" each time. Yes, I know....but it's a government form.

Uhm, pretty sure whale sharks are NOT mammals.......

• Like 1

We see an occasional whale shark cruising by offshore platforms in the Gulf of Thailand- just a few each year and we have tho fill out a "Mammal Sighting Report" each time. Yes, I know....but it's a government form.

Uhm, pretty sure whale sharks are NOT mammals.......

yes, but I also read already that Mammal Report for Whale Sharks.....crazy.gif

most dangerous sharks in Thailand are the loan sharks.

Unfortunately there aren't many sharks in Thai waters anymore, because Chinese pay huge amounts for shark fins. Even Manta Rays got finned

What an ignorant post. There is no so called "finning" in Thailand because shark meat is eaten here and the shark body is worth far more than the "fins" which have to undergo a very expensive process before they are edible. Also nearly all the sharks fins eaten by Chinese in Thailand comes from South Asia as a bye product of shark meat which is the staple diet of millions of poor coastal people.

A local dive shop owner says Thailand has Great Barracuda. Is this accurate, or just another case of calling cilantro coriander?

Also, what species of shark is considered the most dangerous in Thailand?

Thanks for any info.

Sharks are not really a danger in Thailand. In the early sixties we saw a lot around Pattaya before the "SCUBA invasion". One foreigner was killed by a shark in Koh Sichang in 1924. When I arrived in Thailand in 1963 and told people I wanted to dive they all mentioned this attack as if had happened just recently. No-one would come diving with me at first. I had all the islands around Pattaya all to myself!!

But I did have my third worst shark scare in 1975 at the lighthouse in Pattaya Bay. I had just speared a queenfish and my boat was anchored about 300 meters away and I was alone and it was getting dark when two 3 meter sharks appeared and followed me until I got to my boat. They were the largest sharks I ever saw whilst diving in Thailand.

The first and second most scary was in the Maldives in 1956 when a shark attacked me and the second in Sri Lanka in about 1960.

Unfortunately there aren't many sharks in Thai waters anymore, because Chinese pay huge amounts for shark fins. Even Manta Rays got finned

What an ignorant post. There is no so called "finning" in Thailand because shark meat is eaten here and the shark body is worth far more than the "fins" which have to undergo a very expensive process before they are edible. Also nearly all the sharks fins eaten by Chinese in Thailand comes from South Asia as a bye product of shark meat which is the staple diet of millions of poor coastal people.

Unfortunately not an ignorant post but the truth. Sometimes boats in Thailand get caught with plenty of shark fins aboard.

• Like 1

Unfortunately not an ignorant post but the truth. Sometimes boats in Thailand get caught with plenty of shark fins aboard.

Well put Steven.

I have seen plenty of Giant Barracuda around Phuket. Ive heard two reliable reports of Tiger sharks. One at Koh Tao and one at Phi Phi. But thats 2 in 10 years

That's what I needed to hear, thanks. I believe the Tiger has the 2nd most human attacks, followed by the Great White.

Anyone else?

Number one biter of man is the Bull Shark and we have plenty around here in Florida as well as in most parts of the world. The Great White was made famous in the movie, Jaws and was actually based on real life events on the east coast probably stemming from a Bull Shark. The great barracuda is no great threat but just looks menacing. I have dove many times in waters here with Great Barracuda and they just seem to pose for pictures for me in clear water. In murky water that could pose a different scenario because they are fast, opportunist predators and could give you a nasty gash with their teeth if they confuse you with their normal prey.

A local dive shop owner says Thailand has Great Barracuda. Is this accurate, or just another case of calling cilantro coriander?

Also, what species of shark is considered the most dangerous in Thailand?

Thanks for any info.

Sharks are not really a danger in Thailand. In the early sixties we saw a lot around Pattaya before the "SCUBA invasion". One foreigner was killed by a shark in Koh Sichang in 1924. When I arrived in Thailand in 1963 and told people I wanted to dive they all mentioned this attack as if had happened just recently. No-one would come diving with me at first. I had all the islands around Pattaya all to myself!!

But I did have my third worst shark scare in 1975 at the lighthouse in Pattaya Bay. I had just speared a queenfish and my boat was anchored about 300 meters away and I was alone and it was getting dark when two 3 meter sharks appeared and followed me until I got to my boat. They were the largest sharks I ever saw whilst diving in Thailand.

The first and second most scary was in the Maldives in 1956 when a shark attacked me and the second in Sri Lanka in about 1960.

u have had some luck ......i would think patts too dirty now ..but would attract sick sharks ..most people dont realise how valuable sharks r

I recommend to do like I do in forums about knitting....Simply don't write postings when you don't have a clue about it.

Fining is done in Thailand, but not much because not many sharks left. Thai boats are regularly found to do it where more sharks are (Indonesia, Myanmar). In Koh Payam they were proud to know that they can sell the tips of Manta Rays as Shark fins....

No idea if they somehow eat the rest of the shark or manta. Even if someone eat the shark, you write: "the shark body is worth far more than the "fins"" "staple diet of millions of poor coastal people".

Contradicting?

"Even Manta Rays got finned." THAT is way beyond sad.

Could you please provide documentation for your statement?