Palestinian Filmmaker Briefly Detained At U.s. Airport On Way To Oscars

News_Editor

Palestinian filmmaker briefly detained at U.S. airport on way to Oscars < br />

2013-02-21 16:39:29 GMT+7 (ICT)

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) -- Immigration officials at Los Angeles International Airport briefly detained the Palestinian filmmaker of the Oscar-nominated documentary "5 Broken Cameras" while he was on his way to a dinner preceding Sunday's Academy Awards.

Emad Burnat said the incident happened on Tuesday evening when he, along with his wife and 8-year-old son, arrived at Los Angeles International Airport after a flight from Turkey. He said he was questioned for more than an hour as immigration officials threatened to refuse him entry to the United States if he was unable to provide proof of his Oscar nomination.

"They told me that if I couldn't prove the reason for my visit, my wife Soraya, my son Gibreel and I would be sent back to Turkey on the same day," Burnat, whose "5 Broken Cameras" is competing for an Oscar in the Best Documentary Feature category, said in a statement on Wednesday.

The family was on its way to Beverly Hills to attend a dinner honoring the five nominated films for Best Documentary Feature. "5 Broken Cameras," which features a Palestinian farmer's non-violent resistance against the actions of the Israeli army, is the first Palestinian documentary ever nominated for an Oscar.

Oscar-winning filmmaker Michael Moore, who is a governor of the Academy's Documentary Branch, said Burnat and his family had already spent nearly 6 hours at an Israeli checkpoint as they drove to the Jordanian city of Amman to catch a plane. "While we awaited Emad's arrival from the airport I received an urgent text from Emad, written to me from a holding pen at the Los Angeles International Airport," he said.

Moore said immigration officials did not believe Burnat, a Palestinian olive farmer, when he told them he was on his way to Sunday's Academy Awards and events preceding it. "Apparently that was too much for Homeland Security to wrap its head around," said Moore, who immediately stepped in to help resolve the situation.

After more than 40 minutes of questioning, Burnat said his son Gibreel asked him why they were still being held in the small detention room at the airport. "I simply told him the truth: 'Maybe we'll have to go back.' I could see his heart sink," the Palestinian filmmaker said in his statement.

Moore said he immediately contacted Academy CEO Dawn Hudson and COO Ric Robertson after receiving Burnat's plea for help. "They got ahold of the Academy's attorney who is also partners with a top immigration attorney and they went to work on it," he said. "I called the State Department in D.C."

"After being held for somewhere between one and two hours, with repeated suggestions that the U.S. may not let him into the country - saying that they may send him back home - the authorities relented and released Emad and his family," Moore said, describing Burnat as "fairly shaken and upset" when he arrived at the dinner.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials declined to comment on the incident but described the country as a "welcoming nation," adding that travelers may be referred for further inspection for a variety of reasons. These reasons include identity verification, intent of travel, and confirmation of admissibility.

"Although this was an unpleasant experience, this is a daily occurrence for Palestinians, every single day, throughout he West Bank," Burnat said. "There are more than 500 Israeli checkpoints, roadblocks, and other barriers to movement across our land, and not a single one of us has been spared the experience that my family and I experienced [on Tuesday]. Ours was a very minor example of what my people face every day."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2013-02-21

Why didn't he have the appropriate documentation and visas for entering the country beforehand ?

Who said he didn't. Even if you have the visa and documents you can still be held for questioning and refused entry.

^^ I seriously doubt it. :) Israeli security was legendary even back in the '80's.

Regarding the US airport security. All i can say is "tough". I'm a US citizen, but because my name is on a "no fly list" (my name is just slightly less common than "joe smith") I go thru secondary, tertiary, and even more levels of screening. The blind, the handicapped, the young, the elderly, all gets treated with equal or greater scrutiny. And if you come from the middle east, or areas of unrest, you can expect even higher levels of scrutiny. (duh!) He expected red carpet treatment at the airport because he was nominated for an oscar?? the dude is dreaming. But the industry will make him feel better later. They know how to deal with prima donnas. But at the airport? no, those dudes (and gals) have no sense of humor. they take their jobs absolutely seriously for the most part.

Hungry for tourist dollars? yep, but we still have a lot of people that would like to come into the US and do harm. So for the near future, you can expect difficulty in getting Visa's. and be challenged. Even if you happen to be a citizen with a common name.

for me i'm ok with it. Every time they challenge me, i know they are doing their job, and my flight is safe as it could be. its an important factor when you fly on a weekly basis.

Lastly, my experience has been that the airport officials are very polite and professional about the challenges. I normally get a "sir, you've been selected for an additional screening, would you come this way?" if i didnt know any better, i would swear i just won a prize! then they might say, "sir just one more test. would you step this way?" If you're nice and polite, its a quick process. no more than 3 minutes per screening. but if you're antagonistic, you can expect greater scrutiny.

Lastly if you do get a visa and make it over there, you can expect on hell of a experience and good time :) If you can hold your ego in check thru the airport that is :)

just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Los Angeles (CNN) -- The Palestinian maker of a film nominated for an Oscar was briefly detained by U.S. officials who questioned the validity of his Academy Awards invitation as he and his family arrived in Los Angeles for this weekend's event, his publicist told CNN on Wednesday...

Julia Pacetti, Burnat's publicist, told CNN that Burnat e-mailed her and Moore about how "immigration authorities were telling him he needed to give them a reason for his visit.

"He asked me to send his invitation to the Oscars. But before I did, immigration authorities released him. It was a short-lived situation," Pacetti said.

Burnat told Moore that "It's nothing I'm not already used to" and "When u live under occupation, with no rights, this is a daily occurrence,"...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He was detained for about an hour. Nowhere has it been reported that he or his family were mistreated or dealt with unprofessionally. If this is a case of people being dealt with inappropriately or unjustifiably, then by all means let's object - but it appears to me this is more about an Oscar nominee and a friend of Michael Moore deserving special concern...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

• Like 1

I'm very glad his film was nominated and the subject will get attention.

I think any hand-wringing about his less than nightmarish ordeal at the airport is unnecessary, disingenuous and off-putting (and I'd wager Moore LOVES it that this happened).

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 2

Yawn. You're supposed to have that kind of evidence when you go through immigration. Ask any Thai who's traveled to the U.S. Prove where you're staying, what you're doing, when you're leaving, etc. U.S. immigration is a pain in the neck, I agree - but all their requirements are pretty much common knowledge to those who seek to go there. My wife and I traveled back there once, and she'd misplaced her green card. We were sent over to secondary and waited well over an hour while they check our other documents and verified things. In our case there was no one playing bad cop to try and see if we were legit, but I can see it happening.

The Israelis would have told USA immigration officials to give this guy a hard time because his movie was critical of Israel.

That isn't really a fair comment considering a competitor to the Palestinian film in question is an Israeli film, also very critical of Israeli policies.

...But at the airport? no, those dudes (and gals) have no sense of humor. they take their jobs absolutely seriously for the most part. ...

I know what you mean about sense of humor; Back in about 1997 I was travelling to the U.S and my travel companion was asked whether he had packed his case himself, to which he replied 'No a bearded stranger wearing a head dress packed it for me'. The icy reaction and extra screening he got would as time passed have resulted in refusal to board the plane and even prosecution as airport regulations and enforcement have got successively stricter. Perhaps the film maker should team up with Michael Moore and make a film about getting through U.S immigration for next year.
  • Like 2

Even US congressmen and senators bitch about the security at US airports.. big deal.. It's immigrations job to make sure non-US people entering the US have proper credentials and are not a threat to US security.. Are we going to go ballistic because they are doing their jobs? Does Michael Moore think he's above the law? yeah he does, but that's another story.

• Like 1

Even US congressmen and senators bitch about the security at US airports.. big deal.. It's immigrations job to make sure non-US people entering the US have proper credentials and are not a threat to US security.. Are we going to go ballistic because they are doing their jobs? Does Michael Moore think he's above the law? yeah he does, but that's another story.

That's fair enough, but they could at least have some manners and humility. Have visited on a number of occasions (1990s) and reception has always been glum (land and air) and easily the worst experience compared with the dozens of countries I've visited. Contrast with Canada, it is like a different world.

This is a perfect example of the clumsiness achieved when a position of power is given to someone (or even a group) who's ego exceeds their intelligence. The lack of common sense in many of these stories is frightening.

I take it you are referring to Michael Moore?

This is a perfect example of the clumsiness achieved when a position of power is given to someone (or even a group) who's ego exceeds their intelligence. The lack of common sense in many of these stories is frightening.

I take it you are referring to Michael Moore?

I was referring to the overzealous Immigration officials who failed to apply common sense. They made a choice not to be helpful to the Palestinian and his family. It would have taken very little effort for them to confirm his story. Instead they took the opportunity to flex their muscles - This is tantamount to an abuse of power, although Post 911 we cant make these accusations... Someone will always come back with a response that it is better this way than letting terrorists in country... This guy was no terrorist and it would have been a simple task for the Immigration Officials to take the initiative and find out.

That said, I agree that my comment readily fits Michael Moore and his conspiracy seeking, publicity hunting ego.

The light is fading fast on common sense...

• 3 weeks later...

Why didn't he have the appropriate documentation and visas for entering the country beforehand ?

The fact he was able to board the plane - means he did have the appropriate documentation (visa, etc.). The airline checks these things as people without visas would be returned at the cost of the airline.

What we have here is an immigration person who simply didn't believe him until he started receiving calls from the State department asking what the hell he was playing at, when he could have quite easily had someone google the guy and find he was up for an Oscar in a matter of seconds.

What it probably also means is that immigration at LAX stops people with valid visas all the time if they don't like the look of them. This is simply the one that made it into the news.