Homade Cottage Cheese

Samuimike1

What's milk? Not seen anything that tastes/looks like milk yet.

i tried it but the problem was curdling,you are lucky to get a couple of ounces out of 2lts.milk.i think the problem is toooooooooo much water added to the milk.had a problem with frothing the milk for coffee that was the cause.

I believe that a lot of the milk is imported in powder form (hopefully not from China). The only milk I buy (coffee and cornflakes) is Dutch Mill, and even that has numbers splashed all over the bottle suggesting that gunk has been added. The stuff from Chokchai Farms isn't milk.

I believe that a lot of the milk is imported in powder form (hopefully not from China). The only milk I buy (coffee and cornflakes) is Dutch Mill, and even that has numbers splashed all over the bottle suggesting that gunk has been added. The stuff from Chokchai Farms isn't milk.

We only buy CC milk....well we do buy DM when there is no CC......I find it better than all the other brands.

We live in the country and see all the local small dairies delivering their milk to 'wherever' each day.....so cannot be all imported powder.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heat 4 liters of Meji full milk to 90 degrees celsius using a kitchen thermometer,

remembering to stir the mils so it will not burn, turn heat off, add 1/4 cup vinegar,

any vinegar will do, stir vinegar with milk, leave alone for 15 minute, scoop the curdled

cheese into a porous container lined with a cheese cloth or similar, leave alone for

access water to drain, cover with the cheese cloth and refrigerate overnight and there

you have a semi hard white cheese good for sandwiches,

I am just doing this. Im worried that the CC will taste vinegar. i'm on the 15 min waiting now....... Some says you can rinse the CC in the cloth with water to remove excess vinegar.... i will try that.

I did rinse the cheese in the cloth thoroughly but it still have a hint of a sour taste. I mixed it with some cream but it did not help. I will have some renet next week and will make a new trial. I might also try to find fresh milk direct from a farmer even if it can be hard around Jomtien. Any suggestions?

417481_10151361377183877_771332551_n.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I have never made CC, I make yogurt about twice a month and make Queso Fresco quite often. I find my results from Thai milk satisfactory.I also use heavy creme to make butter with good results.

Does anyone have a lead on getting fresh milk from a dairy farm around Nakhon Sawan? Using full creme, fresh milk can only produce better results in ones homemade yogurt/cheese product.

Cheers:smile.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I make 2 litres of milk into yoghurt once a week - sometimes more and have found all of the different full cream milks I've used produce good yoghurt.

I've wanted to make cottage cheese for a while, but you need rennet and I don't think you can get it here.

I did rinse the cheese in the cloth thoroughly but it still have a hint of a sour taste. I mixed it with some cream but it did not help. I will have some renet next week and will make a new trial. I might also try to find fresh milk direct from a farmer even if it can be hard around Jomtien. Any suggestions?

if you add renet you will be making fresh mozzerella. vinegar is not necessary enough heat will seperate the curds nut a sour taste for cottage cheese is desirable. Cottage cheese is essentially ricotta cheese basic recipe 4:1 ratio whole milk:buttermilk sweeten with sugar bring to a soft boil add your lemon juice when the curds begin to seperate. It will act as a catalyst for seperation. seperate and drain Voila. do not seperate from the whey add your enzym Rennetand the curds will coagulate into mozzarella. you will have to make them into balls by hand.

Thanks for putting this up, anyone intersted can also Google out paneer
recepies for some great Indian curry dishes. Try out Mattar Paneer (CC
with peas in a curry), Kadhai Paneer (CC with assorted vegetables),
Paneer Butter Masala (CC with a butter rich curry) smile.png

Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes Ingredients:

• 1 litre full-cream milk (use Meiji)
  • ½ tsp citric acid/lemon juice (Kot Manao)
  • ½ cup warm water
Preparation:
  • Set the milk up to boil.
  • As the milk is readied, dissolve the citric acid/lemon juice in half a cup of warm water.
  • When the milk comes to a boil, pour the acid-water/lemon juice-water mix into it.
  • Reduce the heat and stir continuously until the milk is completely curdled.
  • Remove from the heat when the separation of the curds and yellowish whey is complete.
  • Strain the mixture through a clean muslin cloth.
  • Hold it under running water for a minute and then press out the excess water.
  • Hang the muslin for 15-20 minutes so that all the whey is drained out.
  • To make the paneer into a block tie the muslin and place it under something heavy.
  • The paneer can now be cut into chunks and used as required.

Oz

I bought some rennet to make ricotta when I was in Paris. It didn't work, so I went back to my old method: milk, heavy cream and lemon juice. I get perfect ricotta.

method and recipe would be appreciated!

Im doing cottage cheese with 4 liter Meji full fat milk and real animal rennet this time. But now after 80 minutes it doesn't cure as i had hoped. According to renet manufacturing website, it should be cured in 30-60 min.

I heated it to 37C as recommended, though it went up to 40C for some minutes before i noticed it and turned the heat off.

Any advice?