Nook, Best $100 I Ever Spent.

giddyup

I've always been an avid reader, but found it difficult to satisfy my appetite for books here in Thailand, unless I wanted to pay full price (secondhand supplies are limited) from book shops. Since I bought my Nook I have downloaded hundreds of books free, enough to keep me going for quite a while. I just wish I'd discovered the Nook earlier.

Been reading with a Kindle app on my Samsung S2 for a while, bought a Kindle paperwhite and really enjoyed it not for too long unfortunately, my GF decided she likes it too. Got a Kobo Min on sale for 50 US and been reading a lot on it.

For all you readers here is a good site mobileread.com/forum

there are a lot of useful info there.

Been reading with a Kindle app on my Samsung S2 for a while, bought a Kindle paperwhite and really enjoyed it not for too long unfortunately, my GF decided she likes it too. Got a Kobo Min on sale for 50 US and been reading a lot on it.

That link doesn't open for me.

Try mobileread.com/forums

Nope, still doesn't work

www.mobileread.com/forums/

Nope, still doesn't work

Edited by CMSteve

Just delete "forums"

Just delete "forums"

Tried that, it just won't open for me.

Nope, still doesn't work

I just clicked the link loaded fine looks a good site

Have you tried googling it?

jocko, on 23 Feb 2013 - 10:56, said:

CMSteve, on 23 Feb 2013 - 08:51, said:

Nope, still doesn't work

I just clicked the link loaded fine looks a good site

Have you tried googling it?

Yes, tried Google, it just won't open. Don't know if anti-virus is blocking it or what. No matter, I have 400 free books already downloaded, at roughly one a week that's 8 years of reading. Edited by giddyup

There are now many different brands of e-readers on the market. I started with the Kindle and my next one will be a Kindle Paperwhite. I am VERY happy with my Kindle and can see no reason to change brands. I will have a good friend bring me a new Paperwhite his next trip over just in case my old Kindle dies. I'd feel better having a spare and feel panicky that I could be without my Kindle.

There are now many different brands of e-readers on the market. I started with the Kindle and my next one will be a Kindle Paperwhite. I am VERY happy with my Kindle and can see no reason to change brands. I will have a good friend bring me a new Paperwhite his next trip over just in case my old Kindle dies. I'd feel better having a spare and feel panicky that I could be without my Kindle.

I haven't owned an e-reader before the Nook, so have nothing to compare it to, but all I can say is it satisfies my needs on all levels. It's easy on the eyes, quick response for flipping pages, simple to use etc. Can't really see how it could be improved.

I would think that they all work about the same. I'd likely be happy with any of them as long as they use e-ink and the text size is adjustable and are easy on my eyes.. I already have a lifetime supply of books on my computer and the free Calibre program will format them to suit nearly any device you may have.

Happy reading !

I like Kindle reader more than the Kobo mini but there are great discounts from the Kobo bookstore all the time. Yes you can find a lot of free books at Amazon, but they're usually the first book of the series so if you wanna keep reading the story, you have to buy the rest of the books. I've been buying from Kobo store only now. There are discount codes posted on mobileread.com/forums also there are software that can manage, backup and convert your books from one format to another one. Calibre is one of those software programs and with necessary plugins it can even remove the DMR from the books. Please note that removing the DMR is illegal in some countries (I think US one of them) as it enables books to be copied unlimited number of times, however I do that on my books for the reason that if I buy a book from Amazon for example I have every right to read it on a reader of my choice without having to spend on the Kindle. I do not share my books but I can read any of them on any reader I own now or will own in the future.