Helping Poorer School Kids With English

Just an idea, but as an extension of the Tourist Police conception. Why cannot some of the poorer schools on Samui with kids who cannot afford English lessons, have some kid of a Volunteer English teaching program. I am sure that there would be a few of us who would give up some of our time to help these kids and their 'not so good' English teachers.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe most of the state schools do have native English speakers ... But nothing is stoping people for going to their local state school and asking the head if they can help with the English lessons ! ( but not to sure on the criteria or checks needed , as a pedo could use this to target kids )

I believe most of the state schools do have native English speakers ... But nothing is stoping people for going to their local state school and asking the head if they can help with the English lessons ! ( but not to sure on the criteria or checks needed , as a pedo could use this to target kids )

Guess you are correct there ! but nothing ventured, nothing gained. And no one should be allowed to be alone with the kids. I am surprised that most state schools have native English speaking teachers, as you say !

Guess you are correct there ! but nothing ventured, nothing gained. And no one should be allowed to be alone with the kids. I am surprised that most state schools have native English speaking teachers, as you say !

I know the state schools where some friends send there kids have , but then only 1 or 2 for 500 kids ! So really you can never have to many ... But with the tides of Russians and chinese , maybe the Russian community could assit on basic russian lessons for the Thai kids to help them ...

There is so much the expat community can give to the local comunity in one way or another to asset to make samui a better place ( one could even be driving lessons ! )

I know the state schools where some friends send there kids have , but then only 1 or 2 for 500 kids ! So really you can never have to many ... But with the tides of Russians and chinese , maybe the Russian community could assit on basic russian lessons for the Thai kids to help them ...

There is so much the expat community can give to the local comunity in one way or another to asset to make samui a better place ( one could even be driving lessons ! )

Russian an international language ? ........You have got to be kidding ! Edited by PoorSucker
quote fixed
  • Like 1

Not all schools have a native English speaker.... I see the work sheets sometimes from some of the neighbour kids .... you might think Big C had a hand in writing the sentences w00t.gifrolleyes.gifbiggrin.png

A little sad really... sad.png

At the beginning of the last skool year, they had booklets from Cambridge University, they were so badly bound they fell apart.... blink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Not all schools have a native English speaker.... I see the work sheets sometimes from some of the neighbour kids .... you might think Big C had a hand in writing the sentences w00t.gifrolleyes.gifbiggrin.png

At the beginning of the last skool year, they had booklets from Cambridge University, they were so badly bound they fell apart.... blink.png

Yes, the skool booklets . rolleyes.gif

Yes, the skool booklets . rolleyes.gif

Just checking to see if the class is paying attention..... tongue.png:D

Edited by PoorSucker

They get a big whack of cash from the Govt to have a farang on board!

A few years ago I was contacted by the headmistress of the big Govt school in Lipa Noi and offered a job there. I'm an English graduate - ex-senior teacher, Head of Dept blah blah. When I arrived I was shown my teaching schedule - teaching science to a class of Thai 13 year-olds who could speak no English, there were no books, equipment or materials and it was in an ordinary classroom. I mentioned my English-language qualifications and was told that they already had a (Thai) English teacher, thank you. That's when I discovered that my 25,000 a month salary would be offset by an added 50,000 a month grant to the school just by having me there. (No work permit on the table, naturally . . . I'd have been of more use doing the gardens - except that they already had a gardener . . .)

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 2

Work permit?

I have asked this same question before about various forms of volunteering ... and was told by wise and experienced TV members that volunteeri work - requires a Work Permit... I have no reason to doubt their word... But citing an authoratative source would be very helpful. Anyone got a link ?

Work permit?

I have asked this same question before about various forms of volunteering ... and was told by wise and experienced TV members that volunteeri work - requires a Work Permit... I have no reason to doubt their word... But citing an authoratative source would be very helpful. Anyone got a link ?

Which is why I asked about a work permit in the first place. I have done this very same thing, though admittedly quite a few years back, but had to stop because the police informed the school that it was illegal. All I was doing was going in once a week for 30-40 minutes and letting the kids (11-13) ask me various questions in English so they could practice. If I have it in writing that I could do the same again without worry that the BiB being able to extort money from me then I would consider it. I say consider because I have been here long enough to know that that piece of paper has a value in reality of precisely zero.

However...

Not required.

I have a friend who listens to kids reading English here on the island, and he helps them on a voluntary basis. As long as you have the correct visa - no problem. Yes - he produced evidence from his country of residence that he did not have a criminal record. He has been doing this on Samui for some years.

Would be interesting to know what kind of visa this is and if it is a grey area or unwritten rule.

Work permit?

Which is why I asked about a work permit in the first place. I have done this very same thing, though admittedly quite a few years back, but had to stop because the police informed the school that it was illegal. All I was doing was going in once a week for 30-40 minutes and letting the kids (11-13) ask me various questions in English so they could practice. If I have it in writing that I could do the same again without worry that the BiB being able to extort money from me then I would consider it. I say consider because I have been here long enough to know that that piece of paper has a value in reality of precisely zero.

However...

>Not required.

I have a friend who listens to kids reading English here on the island, and he helps them on a voluntary basis. As long as you have the correct visa - no problem. Yes - he produced evidence from his country of residence that he did not have a criminal record. He has been doing this on Samui for some years.

Would be interesting to know what kind of visa this is and if it is a grey area or unwritten rule.

I think the simple fact is that it's entirely up to the immigration how they decide to uphold and exercise the law.

All the farangs currently working for Samui Rescue are volunteers and I've not heard of any of them being hassled. And if Samui Rescue is publicly and openly asking for other volunteers then it's safe to assume that it is with the blessing of the immigration department (nothing at all to do with the BIB, by the way).

It blows both ways. They can chose to turn a blind eye if they wish. Or they can be equally officious and pompous, like they were back in 2004 in Phuket when some tsunami volunteer relief workers were given the boot. I think even the Samui Thais have now caught on to the fact that we farangs have something called the Internet (I think they know it as Flaceblook) which allows us whities to talk with thousands of other whities and tell them about how nob-headed Samui Immigration is/was/might be, immediately and over long distances, plus with photos of the offenders. (Has the idea of Losing Flace Blook finally sunk in?)

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

I think the simple fact is that it's entirely up to the immigration how they decide to uphold and exercise the law.

All the farangs currently working for Samui Rescue are volunteers and I've not heard of any of them being hassled. And if Samui Rescue is publicly and openly asking for other volunteers then it's safe to assume that it is with the blessing of the immigration department (nothing at all to do with the BIB, by the way).

It blows both ways. They can chose to turn a blind eye if they wish. Or they can be equally officious and pompous, like they were back in 2004 in Phuket when some tsunami volunteer relief workers were given the boot. I think even the Samui Thais have now caught on to the fact that we farangs have something called the Internet (I think they know it as Flaceblook) which allows us whities to talk with thousands of other whities and tell them about how nob-headed Samui Immigration is/was/might be, immediately and over long distances, plus with photos of the offenders. (Has the idea of Losing Flace Blook finally sunk in?)

R

The Thai 'face' issue is only what 'they' perceive others to think rather than what is actually perceived and this knowledge is key to any farang who intends to stay here long term. I need to justify that comment so I give as an example the rice pledging scheme.. The PM thinks it is a great idea while the rest of the world knows and has said repeatedly that it is doomed to failure. So long as the PM thinks it is a good idea there can be no loss of face on the issue. I'll leave it there to stay on topic.

Can you see the potential for someone losing face in education is much much greater than the potential for someone losing face in the business of 'Samui rescue'? The English teachers in the school I helped at did not like me telling the kids that they were wrong, given that they had taught the kids that it was correct.

I help out the local kids with English, maths and science outside of school along with the odd free laptop when they come around and free internet. I'm doing my part I think while keeping my head down.

I did this middle of last year (video below) and got plenty of woooows. Couldn't find non safety matches here (but didn't look hard) so got a friend to bring a box of Swan Vestas over from the UK. Bleach I already had and hydrogen peroxide I got from a friend who runs a beauty salon (It's used to colour hair the world over). I didn't show the kids where I got the phosphorus from (red head matches) because of a fire risk nor did I let them touch the tomato because it was toxic.

The be all and end all is that I love teaching kids but I am not going to break the laws of Thailand to do so.

• Like 2

The Thai 'face' issue is only what 'they' perceive others to think rather than what is actually perceived and this knowledge is key to any farang who intends to stay here long term. I need to justify that comment so I give as an example the rice pledging scheme.. The PM thinks it is a great idea while the rest of the world knows and has said repeatedly that it is doomed to failure. So long as the PM thinks it is a good idea there can be no loss of face on the issue. I'll leave it there to stay on topic.

Can you see the potential for someone losing face in education is much much greater than the potential for someone losing face in the business of 'Samui rescue'? The English teachers in the school I helped at did not like me telling the kids that they were wrong, given that they had taught the kids that it was correct.

I help out the local kids with English, maths and science outside of school along with the odd free laptop when they come around and free internet. I'm doing my part I think while keeping my head down.

I did this middle of last year (video below) and got plenty of woooows. Couldn't find non safety matches here (but didn't look hard) so got a friend to bring a box of Swan Vestas over from the UK. Bleach I already had and hydrogen peroxide I got from a friend who runs a beauty salon (It's used to colour hair the world over). I didn't show the kids where I got the phosphorus from (red head matches) because of a fire risk nor did I let them touch the tomato because it was toxic.

The be all and end all is that I love teaching kids but I am not going to break the laws of Thailand to do so.

There is a huge difference between 'teaching kids' (definitely need a WP) and a volunteer listener working one on one helping a child with the difficult words (One year O visa - as recommended by the Thai embassy.) I'll check the source of the advice with my friend.

By the way - well done on trying to help the local kids.

As Rob said though - legal or not is irrelevant - it is all down to how the immigration people feel on the day.

• Like 1

There is a huge difference between 'teaching kids' (definitely need a WP) and a volunteer listener working one on one helping a child with the difficult words (One year O visa - as recommended by the Thai embassy.) I'll check the source of the advice with my friend.

By the way - well done on trying to help the local kids.

As Rob said though - legal or not is irrelevant - it is all down to how the immigration people feel on the day.

True enough mate but I'm on a tourist visa which no doubt increases the risk. It's a crying shame that someone could fall foul of immigration for helping to fine tune kids English for free. Edited by PoorSucker
quote fixed
  • Like 1

I could care less about what visa you should have. I live in a very rural area and I am retired. I give two hours one time a week to help at our local Primary School, Kindergarten to 6th grade only 110 students.. You live in the community and you can give back to that community.

p.s. Our P6 kids scores the highest they ever did on O-Net last year 80%. I am just glad I could help.

I could care less about what visa you should have. I live in a very rural area and I am retired. I give two hours one time a week to help at our local Primary School, Kindergarten to 6th grade only 110 students.. You live in the community and you can give back to that community.

p.s. Our P6 kids scores the highest they ever did on O-Net last year 80%. I am just glad I could help.

Would that mean that you do care or you do not care?

If you could care less then you are already caring a lot right now.

Or do you mean that you could not care any less than you do already?

R

post-4665-0-59749800-1361633770_thumb.jp

Edited by robsamui

people travelled from all around the world to help with the Tsunami and were told WP required no exceptions. I was asked by Head mistress at Bohpud if I would consider it, no work permit, I considered it and would have loved to have done it but a friend with many more years than me in Samui pointed out if you mark down or upset a child who's family just might happen to work for or be connected to immigration your fried and for nothing. Small chance but its still a chance. Father ray foundation does it in Pattaya but that's agreed with the Mayor. TIT

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/26847-charity-workers-must-get-work-permits/

• Like 1

people travelled from all around the world to help with the Tsunami and were told WP required no exceptions. I was asked by Head mistress at Bohpud if I would consider it, no work permit, I considered it and would have loved to have done it but a friend with many more years than me in Samui pointed out if you mark down or upset a child who's family just might happen to work for or be connected to immigration your fried and for nothing. Small chance but its still a chance. Father ray foundation does it in Pattaya but that's agreed with the Mayor. TIT

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/26847-charity-workers-must-get-work-permits/

Consider yourself as a (white) negro in the southern part of America in the 60s.

You may have more money, even tho you can't own property (here).

You may have more education and knowledge.

You may be tolerated and smiled upon from time to time - here and now.

You try to fit in, keep quiet and be helpful.

But look once in the wrong way at the plantation owner's daughter and the Thai equivalent of the guys wearing white hoods over their heads will swing into action.

It recall that was only a few years ago that the Thai Nationalist Party went round Samui painting out all the signposts for immigration. That's only a thin skin away from now.

This country is a superb getaway - if you understand the rules and limitations, play by them, and don't stick your head up and yell 'look at me'.

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

R

For the edification of our less traveled members 'I could care less' and 'I couldn't care less' mean the same thing depending on where you live coffee1.gif

• Like 1

For the edification of our less traveled members 'I could care less' and 'I couldn't care less' mean the same thing depending on where you live coffee1.gif

R

And how ignorant you are, or are not, of basic English usage and meaning . . .

Edited by robsamui

R

I'm not ignorant at all - just pointing out that there are 5 times as many English speakers in the USA who say 'I could care less' as there are English speakers in the UK who say ' I couldn't care less' yet both sets of speakers mean the same thing.

osted 30 minutes ago

robsamui, on 24 Feb 2013 - 11:59, said:snapback.png

endure, on 24 Feb 2013 - 06:30, said:snapback.png

Nowhereman60, on 23 Feb 2013 - 09:20, said:snapback.png

R

I'm not ignorant at all - just pointing out that there are 5 times as many English speakers in the USA who say 'I could care less' as there are English speakers in the UK who say ' I couldn't care less' yet both sets of speakers mean the same thing.

You mistake my meaning - apologies if you thought I was implying that you were ignorant!

I was referring to anyone who is speaking English who simply doesn't understand the meaning of the (English ) words they are using - no matter what they think the words mean.

Just because a misuse of the language is commonplace does not somehow make it correct. Acceptable, yes. It has now become acceptable for many American to say entirely the opposite of what they intend when they say "I could care less". They fact that somehow others manage to interpret their intentions only compounds the abuse of English!

I can't agree that vaguely smearing words around in an attempt to communicate your ideas shows anything less than being ignorant of the right words to express yourself with in the first place. The English language has evolved more than one million words now - each of them conveying precise shades of meaning. To only be able to command a few of these and not understand the implications of what you are saying is, to me, either laziness or ignorance.

I'm quite aware that this is my opinion and others don't agree - my 32 year-old daughter for one. She could care less whether I couldn't care less or not.

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

Work permit?

Not required.

Why are so many people negative about helping others?

Yes mate, this typical of many of the morons in TV. All they can do is poke fun of just about everything. Really nice people are'nt they. Probably never done anyone a favour in their lives but the first to take !