Helping Poorer School Kids With English

I believe most of the state schools do have native English speakers ... But nothing is stoping people for going to their local state school and asking the head if they can help with the English lessons ! ( but not to sure on the criteria or checks needed , as a pedo could use this to target kids )

Guess you are correct there ! but nothing ventured, nothing gained. And no one should be allowed to be alone with the kids. I am surprised that most state schools have native English speaking teachers, as you say !

They get a big whack of cash from the Govt to have a farang on board!

A few years ago I was contacted by the headmistress of the big Govt school in Lipa Noi and offered a job there. I'm an English graduate - ex-senior teacher, Head of Dept blah blah. When I arrived I was shown my teaching schedule - teaching science to a class of Thai 13 year-olds who could speak no English, there were no books, equipment or materials and it was in an ordinary classroom. I mentioned my English-language qualifications and was told that they already had a (Thai) English teacher, thank you. That's when I discovered that my 25,000 a month salary would be offset by an added 50,000 a month grant to the school just by having me there. (No work permit on the table, naturally . . . I'd have been of more use doing the gardens - except that they already had a gardener . . .)

R

I guess that we will never be able to fully understand how things work here Rob, as usually there is absolutely no logic ! Edited by oldsailor35

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could care less about what visa you should have. I live in a very rural area and I am retired. I give two hours one time a week to help at our local Primary School, Kindergarten to 6th grade only 110 students.. You live in the community and you can give back to that community.

p.s. Our P6 kids scores the highest they ever did on O-Net last year 80%. I am just glad I could help.

This is what i have in mind and think you are doing very well. Good luck

osted 30 minutes ago

robsamui, on 24 Feb 2013 - 11:59, said:snapback.png

endure, on 24 Feb 2013 - 06:30, said:snapback.png

For the edification of our less traveled members 'I could care less' and 'I couldn't care less' mean the same thing depending on where you live coffee1.gif

Nowhereman60, on 23 Feb 2013 - 09:20, said:snapback.png

I could care less about what visa you should have. I live in a very rural area and I am retired. I give two hours one time a week to help at our local Primary School, Kindergarten to 6th grade only 110 students.. You live in the community and you can give back to that community.

p.s. Our P6 kids scores the highest they ever did on O-Net last year 80%. I am just glad I could help.

Would that mean that you do care or you do not care?

If you could care less then you are already caring a lot right now.

Or do you mean that you could not care any less than you do already?

R

For the edification of our less traveled members 'I could care less' and 'I couldn't care less' mean the same thing depending on where you live coffee1.gif

And how ignorant you are, or are not, of basic English usage and meaning . . .

I'm not ignorant at all - just pointing out that there are 5 times as many English speakers in the USA who say 'I could care less' as there are English speakers in the UK who say ' I couldn't care less' yet both sets of speakers mean the same thing.

You mistake my meaning - apologies if you thought I was implying that you were ignorant!

I was referring to anyone who is speaking English who simply doesn't understand the meaning of the (English ) words they are using - no matter what they think the words mean.

Just because a misuse of the language is commonplace does not somehow make it correct. Acceptable, yes. It has now become acceptable for many American to say entirely the opposite of what they intend when they say "I could care less". They fact that somehow others manage to interpret their intentions only compounds the abuse of English!

I can't agree that vaguely smearing words around in an attempt to communicate your ideas shows anything less than being ignorant of the right words to express yourself with in the first place. The English language has evolved more than one million words now - each of them conveying precise shades of meaning. To only be able to command a few of these and not understand the implications of what you are saying is, to me, either laziness or ignorance.

I'm quite aware that this is my opinion and others don't agree - my 32 year-old daughter for one. She could care less whether I couldn't care less or not.

R

I could care less what you think.

• Like 1

R

I'm not ignorant at all - just pointing out that there are 5 times as many English speakers in the USA who say 'I could care less' as there are English speakers in the UK who say ' I couldn't care less' yet both sets of speakers mean the same thing.
That sounds like "double Dutch" to me !........."I could care less" ?? does'nt make sense in your context. What it tells me is that you are leaving out the word 'NOT'
  • Like 1

osted 30 minutes ago

robsamui, on 24 Feb 2013 - 11:59, said:snapback.png

endure, on 24 Feb 2013 - 06:30, said:snapback.png

Nowhereman60, on 23 Feb 2013 - 09:20, said:snapback.png

R

You mistake my meaning - apologies if you thought I was implying that you were ignorant!

I was referring to anyone who is speaking English who simply doesn't understand the meaning of the (English ) words they are using - no matter what they think the words mean.

Just because a misuse of the language is commonplace does not somehow make it correct. Acceptable, yes. It has now become acceptable for many American to say entirely the opposite of what they intend when they say "I could care less". They fact that somehow others manage to interpret their intentions only compounds the abuse of English!

I can't agree that vaguely smearing words around in an attempt to communicate your ideas shows anything less than being ignorant of the right words to express yourself with in the first place. The English language has evolved more than one million words now - each of them conveying precise shades of meaning. To only be able to command a few of these and not understand the implications of what you are saying is, to me, either laziness or ignorance.

I'm quite aware that this is my opinion and others don't agree - my 32 year-old daughter for one. She could care less whether I couldn't care less or not.

R

[/quote Anyhow i could not care less......Thats the NON lazy version.

It would be nice if TV members stopped their petty bickering. There really is no need for it.

I expected more from the 'Global Moderator' who wants to criticise others use of the English language.

This topic is about trying to help Thai children learn English.

I do my bit after seeing what poor English is taught at the local schools by teaching English to my neices for two hours on a Saturday and Sunday morning. I would happily invite other children from the village to come along but fear, even though I have refused offers of payment for doing so, that I would fall foul of the immigration laws.

Sorry Max - the Mod in question is not at fault - it was I who began this.

But how much more appropriate could it be? We're on about teaching Thai kids to speak English when half of the world's English speakers aren't able to master their own language.

I know I know I know - that's not the point. But it is A point and a valid one.

(I was in communication by email seven or eight years ago with the Head Of the English Department at one of the major Bangkok universities - and she was virtually illiterate. If she had to sit a UK GCSE exam pitched at school-leavers at 16, she would have failed. But she evidently knew more than the other Thai English teachers or she wouldn't have got the job.)

R

Thanks for your reply Rob. I just get fed up with the stupid bickering on this forum. Still there was no need for the 'Global Moderator' to carry on the bickering even though you started it. One would have expected better from him/her.

Not everyone has a degree in the English language but all can help others if given or allowed the oppurtunity.

I understand where you are coming from.

My wife saw a poster advertising English lessons and as we have her 15 year old neice living with us, we both agreed learning English at a higher standard than taught in the school would benefit ua all as a family. So we phoned the number and took the neice along for her first lesson. On the wall were certificates saying the teacher had completed modules 1 to 3 in the skills required for teaching English. from Cambridge.

After two weeks (even though I initially paid 1,300B for the month) we decided that I could teach her better. I went along for a talk with the teacher who asked to see me to enquire if I would be willing to help out. Tried to have a conversation with her but it was hopeless even though I tried to talk slowly to her with relatively simple words. I tried to explain that though I would like to help even if no payment was involved, it could cause me a problem with my visa application if anyone in authority should find out. The answers I was getting showed her knowledge of the English language very poor indeed. I can have a much easier conversation with my wife who knew very little English when we first met 4 years ago.

Just a friendly reminder:

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes
individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may
send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support
(at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy. Members should not block

contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.

I'm with member Endure on this.

I present you with three statements and ask you to define them.

Same.

Same same.

Same same but different.

Do you know?

This one is easy.

Same - it is the same (maybe) smile.png

Same same - it REALLY is the same. Honest. thumbsup.gif

Same same but different - nothing like it! wai.gif

• Like 2

Work permit?

Not required.

I have a friend who listens to kids reading English here on the island, and he helps them on a voluntary basis. As long as you have the correct visa - no problem. Yes - he produced evidence from his country of residence that he did not have a criminal record. He has been doing this on Samui for some years.

Why are so many people negative about helping others?

The only people being negative about people helping others are the Thai immigration rules, its a grey area and unless Khun Nok him self tells me its legal I would not do it. he once told me years ago that westerners who make a company to buy a house then work on it technically need a work permit ie cutting the grass. With immigration people who think like that I would not do anything to draw attention to myself. I feed neuter and medicate dogs every month, even that hacks people off.

http://www.thaivisa.com/462-0.html

http://www.siam-legal.com/Business-in-Thailand/thailand-foundation.php

Edited by marstons
  • Like 1

Work permit?

Not required.

I have a friend who listens to kids reading English here on the island, and he helps them on a voluntary basis. As long as you have the correct visa - no problem. Yes - he produced evidence from his country of residence that he did not have a criminal record. He has been doing this on Samui for some years.

Why are so many people negative about helping others?

The only people being negative about people helping others are the Thai immigration rules, its a grey area and unless Khun Nok him self tells me its legal I would not do it. he once told me years ago that westerners who make a company to buy a house then work on it technically need a work permit ie cutting the grass. With immigration people who think like that I would not do anything to draw attention to myself. I feed neuter and medicate dogs every month, even that hacks people off.

http://www.thaivisa.com/462-0.html

http://www.siam-legal.com/Business-in-Thailand/thailand-foundation.php

I'm 99% sure that the atmosphere surrounding all this sort of thing has changed a bit now. I was talking to a friend in BKK this afternoon who has been working as a volunteer in exactly such an English teaching situation as we're on about here. There are new agreements in place and the organisation he works for was required to submit all his details (copies of passports, extra photos etc) to Immigration for him to be officially registered and thus be able to work like this.

The only problem - as we're all only too aware - is that even though there are a million and one laws in Thailand (or maybe because of this) then every local authority decides which ones they are going to bother with each month - or not. And so what's fine in Chiang Rai/Phuket/Nakhohn Sri etc is being (or might be) penalised elsewhere.

I'd be interested to find out what, if any, agreements are in place with local schools/organisations and the immigration department.

Same thing holds true with the current topic about volunteering for Samui Rescue. Now I've heard about some volunteers actually being noted and recorded by Immigration departments in other areas (and that there are such schemes in existence) I'd expect there to be a similar registration scheme here. I certainly could care less lol-016.gif about volunteering without it.

R

• Like 1

Can anyone site a case where a person who volunteered a few hours a week at a local school without compensation was fined, deported or other actions taken against them. Please no friend of a friend told you situation.

Me. Read an earlier post of mine

I'm with member Endure on this.

I present you with three statements and ask you to define them.

Same.

Same same.

Same same but different.

Do you know?

This one is easy.

Same - it is the same (maybe) smile.png

Same same - it REALLY is the same. Honest. thumbsup.gif

Same same but different - nothing like it! wai.gif

You're not quite right on the last one, I reckon -

Same = similar

Same same = identical

SS but different = falls into the same category, but is nothing like it!

Said of a size 16 gumboot compared to a bar-girl's stiletto - or an old rusty Isuzu truck compared to a new Merc.

b-wink.gif

R

• Like 1

Can anyone site a case where a person who volunteered a few hours a week at a local school without compensation was fined, deported or other actions taken against them. Please no friend of a friend told you situation.

There was an example of where a teacher was helping local kids in his home, his girlfriend's child was one of the group, he split with her so she got her kid to say he was sexually abused by the guy giving his own time to teach. Of course police raided his home with a local camera crew and photographers, he was all over the newspapers and TV and lambasted on Thai Visa, castration, long prison,, hanging etc until the story came out it was revenge seeking by the childs mother. Pattaya forum will have it if you search

So to sum up he had his life destroyed by giving up his time voluntarily to help teach English.. Just the slightest thing here can seriously bite you in the bum , also I know from friends in volunteer police if you got insurance if your supposed to retired and some thing happens when working for free that insurance can be voided. Slightest thing and they will have ya.

Edited by marstons

Rob - I am never going to argue with you over the use of English! clap2.gif

(I looked for a bowing/scraping emopte - but could not find one. smile.png )

jus gtta mt up 4 a beer sumtime mate. ROFL

MSN-Emoticon-032.gif

R

Edited by robsamui

There was an example of where a teacher was helping local kids in his home, his girlfriend's child was one of the group, he split with her so she got her kid to say he was sexually abused by the guy giving his own time to teach. Of course police raided his home with a local camera crew and photographers, he was all over the newspapers and TV and lambasted on Thai Visa, castration, long prison,, hanging etc until the story came out it was revenge seeking by the childs mother. Pattaya forum will have it if you search

So to sum up he had his life destroyed by giving up his time voluntarily to help teach English.. Just the slightest thing here can seriously bite you in the bum , also I know from friends in volunteer police if you got insurance if your supposed to retired and some thing happens when working for free that insurance can be voided. Slightest thing and they will have ya.

What difference would a workpermit have made?

it was example of a question to has anybody got in bother for giving time volunteering. If he had not given his time free to help under privileged kids he would not have got in bother. So not helping kids learn englsih would have saved up the hassle of being arrested and branded a Pheodo .

Rob - I am never going to argue with you over the use of English! clap2.gif

(I looked for a bowing/scraping emopte - but could not find one. smile.png )

jus gtta mt up 4 a beer sumtime mate. ROFL

MSN-Emoticon-032.gif

R

Shudnt that bee m8? cheesy.gif

Seriously though, there can never be a definitive answer to the OP's question in LOS. I know someone is Issan who has been teaching kids English in the village out of school hours without a problem for years.

However there just maybe a Thai parent who gets upset at something and decides to do something about it. It is a risk.

There are many farangs on Samui and indeed throughout Thailand who regularly do great voluntary work (and have done for years), raising money to help the much under funded Temple Schools and underprivileged families, state hospitals etc. without any problems or threats whatsoever and without having work permits.

Conversely, I do know of someone who, a few years back was doing 'voluntary' work on Samui and was warned by immigration to desist immediately or risk arrest and deportation.

Edited by yorkie100

it was example of a question to has anybody got in bother for giving time volunteering. If he had not given his time free to help under privileged kids he would not have got in bother. So not helping kids learn englsih would have saved up the hassle of being arrested and branded a Pheodo .

Splitting with his girlfriend was the cause of his problem - not the working to help kids. sad.png

Had he had a WP she would still have called him a kiddie diddler and his troubles would still be large. blink.png

Moral of the story - don't hack off your girlfriend. (Unless it is at the neck whistling.gif )

• Like 2

Not really worth starting a new topic here ......this is a little off topic ....w00t.gif

Tomorrow evening at the Maenam Temple School off Soi 5 .... starting about 5.30 6 ish PM.

There is the annual School festival.... I always find these fun to see, with the traditional Thai dress, singing and dancing etc!

Also usually displays etc from the students.... An interesting way to spend the evening if you have nothing better to do! thumbsup.gif

This is one of the schools that does not have a native English teacher! sad.png