Advice On Where To Live Please....

Sottero

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are moving out to the region in and we will be working in Ban Chang and want to live somewhere quite lively but not too close to the Pattaya night life scene, close to the beach if possible and with good access to local amenities including gyms and sport facilities.

We are a young couple and will look in to getting mopeds or a small car. So which area do you think most suitable? Pattaya, Rayong etc... and which sub areas within?

Obviously, we will stay in the region for a few weeks before we rent but I would appreciate some seasoned expats opinions.

Many thanks,

Edited by Sottero

First bit of advice - unless you are both experienced and competent motorcyclists - get a car or use public transport (which is quite good and not expensive).

Second piece of advice - rent a place in Ban Chang for the first couple of months and do a bit of exploring before settling anywhere.

Sattahip is fairly close to Ban Chang and is an interesting town to visit for a day or two (Royal Thai Navy HQ) but not much to do after dark and many of the best beaches are not accessible to foreigners.

Bang Saray or Ban Amphur give easy access to all the great shopping, cinemas, international restaurants and entertainment of Pattaya/Jomtien whilst being well away from the mayhem, and still easily within commuting distance of Ban Chang. Also, some really good restaurants and OK beaches.

I'm not really familiar with Rayong, but it does seem to me that there is a lot less going on there. However, it's just 20 minutes or so to Ban Phe and Koh Samet (my personal favourite place to visit in Thailand), where you will find some of the best beaches on the eastern seaboard.

Hope this helps, and best wishes in your new jobs.

Ban Chang does have some nice beaches. Phala is one. Easy to live fairly close to the beach there. My just moved in and said it's a bit quiet...not as many expats as he was expecting. He travels up to Pattaya almost every week to meet up with friends. Which is normal from what I have heard from various people who have lived there in the past. It is a dangerous drive at night. Sukhumvit is termed the death highway due to the accidents and the back roads have lots of twists and turns with crazy drivers cutting the corner.

Bang Saray is almost between the two. Very easy to get into Pattaya (which is where you'll do a lot of shopping and entertaining) and not too far from BC. The beach is pretty good, there are some small markets and shopping. Both BC and BS get very busy on the weekends.

As mentioned above, if you are relying on scooters to get you home from Pattaya after dark...be very careful.

I'd go to BS and rent a hotel room for 3 nights and check things out. Do the same in BC.

Rayong is developing into a full service city also. Some nice shopping alternatives.

One other thing to consider is the pollution. They've had lots of industrial accidents in the past few years. Regulations are lax and many people have ended up in the hospital. This is for the area around Mataphut, not far from BC.

Best of luck!!

Quite a few good places to eat around Ban Chang too, directly opposite PTT a wooden looking building can never remember the name of it? Also a hidden gem is an Indian restaurant as you drive into the carpark at Tesco's, great food and cheap.

Down at Phayun and Nam Rin beaches there is some good seafood places.

It will take a while to find your way around, tends to be very spread out between Sukhumvit and the beach.