Recommendations For New Wireless Router

worgeordie

Not been technically mined ,I would like to ask which wireless router/modem

you would recommend,that works well and is reliable under Thai conditions,

and specifically with TOT.

At the moment I use a D-Link DSL-2640T ,which has worked well for last 3

years,but now I am having problems ,when I boot the computer,everything

works OK for 2-3 hrs, then the download speed gets as low as a few Bytes,

and have to switch off the router and start over again.

TOT,says I need a new router(they would never admit if it was a problem

with their line or service),recommends one of theirs,but I dont think so?

Another ?, from the small box where the TOT wire ends,I have run wire

into the house to a small box where I plug in the RJ45 ? connection to

the computer, the wire I used is very fine telephone wire,its working but

would better wire give faster speeds, what is the correct wire to use ?

I also have a D-Link DIR-615 wireless N router,that I bought off Ebay, UK,

will it work here?, and cannot work out how to connect it ,as it needs to

be connected to a Modem? does not have RJ45? connection only a

ethernet connection

Regards Worgeordie

D-link, Linksys, Belkin, Netgear are all OK. Your UK D-link router should work here if the power supply is compatible voltage-wise.

Here's your D-Link DIR-615. All these ports are RJ-45. Connect the INTERNET port to the modem. I assume you have a separate modem from TOT? If you still can't crack this tough nut, better call in somebody.

DIR615H2ImageLBack.png?h=353&w=628&crop=

One of two problems, it's either the line or the equipment.

Line: To troubleshoot this you'll need a known working router, lot's of patients, and a Thai friend to talk to the Thai staff. My wife had line problems at her house and it took 1 month of troubleshooting (by me) a lots of convincing to the "technical" engineers that the problem was not at the house. Prior to this, True would insist that the problem was at our side. You would need to be a technical geek (and know how to speak Thai) to convince those slack asses how to properly do their jobs. Long story short, True ran a new line at their expense and problem solved. Caution: you do need to know how to prove the problem is NOT at your end.

Equipment: To troubleshoot this you'll need a known working router (LOL!). The router seems fairly dated (old), but I've seen older routers work just fine and I've seen newer ones just lasting less than 1 year. Your old router does have built in dsl modem, so keep in mind that you'll need similar equipment. The DIR-615 does not have a built in modem, so you'll need to get one. A simpler way to troubleshoot is to find a friend with a similar dsl connection and ask if you or them can test your old modem at their place.

Note: If you are torrenting, downloading Linux distro's via bittorrent, this can show similar problems... things are seem ok for a while then seems to crawl afterwards. Rebooting solves the problem. Try changing your habits, don't download Linux distro's for a while to see if you are still having problems.

Also make sure you secured your WiFi and not inadvertently sharing your WiFi connection.

Hope the above tips can help.

Buy a Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H combined modem and router. About 2200 baht. Probably the best on the market. Worked wonders for me when I was having similar problems.

Was just thinking as my brother & i were just looking at router the other week

He has a double story house & was having trouble (has local phone company router )

So went down to local (big ) electronic shop , told us phone companie one aint that good & looked at a variety of routers with & without modems

The one suggested (top end or thereabouts) cam e in at 12000 bht

i was wandering would the thai ones be compatible for Australia

By putting your D-Link DSL-2640T into bridge mode as an ADSL modem only and then using the D-Link DIR-615 as your router/WiFi you will end up with a robust solution without buying any new equipment. In my opinion this will be better than even the most expensive all in one ADSL/Router/WiFi devices.

In this configuration, the phone line goes into the 2640 which is then connected by cable from any one of LAN ports to the WAN (Internet) port on the 615. All client devices then connect only to the 615. There are some threads here at TV discussing ADSL modems in bridge mode which will help you with configuration. If in doubt, post here and you will get plenty of help.

Though as indothai suggests, if there is a phone line problem then no hardware can help that. You can get a pretty good idea of your line conditions by going to the ADSL status page on your 2640 as in this sceenshot.

post-50983-0-01226500-1361664527_thumb.p

If you're not sure how to interpret those numbers then post your SNR Margin, Line Attenuation & Data Rate numbers here and other posters can help.

• Like 1

Buy a Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H combined modem and router. About 2200 baht. Probably the best on the market. Worked wonders for me when I was having similar problems.

Was just thinking as my brother & i were just looking at router the other week

He has a double story house & was having trouble (has local phone company router )

So went down to local (big ) electronic shop , told us phone companie one aint that good & looked at a variety of routers with & without modems

The one suggested (top end or thereabouts) cam e in at 12000 bht

i was wandering would the thai ones be compatible for Australia

Don't go back to that shop. THB12,000 is a ridiculous amount to spend on a home router.

Yes an ADSL modem/router purchased here will be compatible in Australia. Sometimes there are slight variations in the firmware for localised ADSL modems. However it will still work and the firmware can be changed pretty easily.

I had a Buffalo router and it was constantly dropping the connection (TOT) and required a re-boot. I bought an ASUS DSL-N55U after doing a lot of reading on stable routers.

My problems are solved, this is a very stable unit, not one disconnect since I hooked it up. Install was a snap with the ASUS quick connect, you select Thailand-TOT and it knows the settings already...just put in your user name and password and you are all set.

Bought it from InvadeIT

Just spoke to Thomas at InvadeIT, he reports that he has sold many of these routers and everyone is saying the same thing....very stable, no disconnects and no need to do reboots. I highly recommend this ADSL router ASUS DSL-N55U

The Asus DSL-N55U should be a solid router, most consider that line to be a prosumer router. I'm using the RT-N56U, and like it very much. I'm using a different firmware on my unit though.

If your gonna buy Asus which i recommend you do. may as well by the AC version RT-AC66U and future proof yoursefl for the coming year or 2.

Not sure what happened to the OP, but it sounds like they have an issue with their DSL line/service - it used to work acceptably but lately it has been experiencing issues - , and I'm not 100% sure a new modem/router/wifi ap will necessarily improve the situation.

I always recommend talking with neighbors to see if they are having similar issues, and what equipment might be working for them.

That said, we did have some D-Link DSL-2640BT units and they never seemed to work reliably on TOT or True. They did have a number of firmware releases, but none addressed basic connectivity.

We threw all of these in the trash, and have been deploying Asus DSL-N12U units ( ~ 1,800 THB: a single, integrated ADSL modem/4-port ethernet router/WiFI AP) with great results; we've also transitioned everyone onto True DSL.

Edited by lomatopo

The Asus DSL-N55U should be a solid router, most consider that line to be a prosumer router. I'm using the RT-N56U, and like it very much. I'm using a different firmware on my unit though.

If your gonna buy Asus which i recommend you do. may as well by the AC version RT-AC66U and future proof yoursefl for the coming year or 2.

The RT-AC66U is not an ADSL Modem/Router.....you still need a modem with it.

Not sure what happened to the OP, but it sounds like they have an issue with their DSL line/service - it used to work acceptably but lately it has been experiencing issues - , and I'm not 100% sure a new modem/router/wifi ap will necessarily improve the situation.

I always recommend talking with neighbors to see if they are having similar issues, and what equipment might be working for them.

That said, we did have some D-Link DSL-2640BT units and they never seemed to work reliably on TOT or True. They did have a number of firmware releases, but none addressed basic connectivity.

We threw all of these in the trash, and have been deploying Asus DSL-N12U units ( ~ 1,800 THB: a single, integrated ADSL modem/4-port ethernet router/WiFI AP) with great results; we've also transitioned everyone onto True DSL.

I have a box full of modem/routers here....D-link, Buffalo, Million, Thompson......all gave trouble of some sort. ASUS at this point is a winner for me and I'm sure the DSL-N12U is also a good unit (and a lot cheaper than the DSL N55U)

Hopefully the OP will spend the time to troubleshoot, I'm on True but have little faith with their "technicians" and their logic. The've gone out of their way to blame every DSL modem in the market, and didn't even bother to check to see if the problem was actually with themselves.

Here's a tip:

Ask them to check their logs on how many times you have logged on with your DSL modem. Assuming you've set your modem to always stay on, then should only see connect/disconnect every 12 hours or so. But if there are frequent connect/disconnects, then ask them to investigate why (again, here is where they will blame your modem settings and here is where you can show the technician that the settings are correct). If there are connects/disconnects every 2 or 3 minutes then that's a "hint" to a bad physical line, either loose connection or bad wire.

Remember, when talking to these guys be patient and depending on the situation always first try to prove yourself to be right.

At one time I had 5 different modems and the technician brought his "trusted" modem to finally fingure out that the problem was in fact at their side. Took a month to fix the problem, but definetly worth the effort.

From my experience, Belkin wireless routers do not play well with Apple Macs. With several different models of Belkin routers, I consistently experienced issues with TCP/IP, where data flow would stop, and the TCP/IP lease had to be renewed to get data going again.

all the best routers aren't.

The "Best" routers???? And if you care to look back at the OP's original post he asked, and I quote "I would like to ask which wireless router/modem

you would recommend"

The "Best" routers???? And if you care to look back at the OP's original post he asked, and I quote "I would like to ask which wireless router/modem

you would recommend"

I believe Negreanu is correct in what he says. Compared to a router only, combination ADSL modem/wifi routers are inherently unstable due to the fact that they share the resources of a single chipset for handling routing/NAT, WiFi (incl encryption) and modulation/demodulation of an ADSL connection.

Just like any computing device, if given too much work to do at once it will slow down. For a router only that's ok because it will recover and the effect of that momentary slowdown will not usually be noticeable. However an ADSL modem requires a constant sync between the modem and the Telco's DSLAM so even the slightest slowdown can cause the ADSL sync to be dropped requiring a reconnection which takes at least a few seconds and often more. This is very often the cause of constant dropped connections that so many ADSL users complain about.

I believe that the ASUS DSL range get around this problem to a large extent simply by having more horsepower (processor/RAM) available. So for the average home user they are an easy & workable solution. However, put enough strain on the device and it will also fail to maintain the ADSL sync.

The cheapest real solution to the above scenario is to put a cheap ADSL modem in bridge mode to a (non-ADSL) router. That way the full resources of the modem are always available to maintain the ADSL sync no matter how much strain is placed on the router.

To be honest, like Negreanu I always view those combination ADSL wifi routers as something of a toy as opposed to a real router. That's not to say I rubbish them completely, I don't. But I think it is useful to understand their limitations if you are likely to be connecting multiple wifi devices and/or doing heavy downloading/torrenting.

you would recommend"

I believe Negreanu is correct in what he says. Compared to a router only, combination ADSL modem/wifi routers are inherently unstable due to the fact that they share the resources of a single chipset for handling routing/NAT, WiFi (incl encryption) and modulation/demodulation of an ADSL connection.

Just like any computing device, if given too much work to do at once it will slow down. For a router only that's ok because it will recover and the effect of that momentary slowdown will not usually be noticeable. However an ADSL modem requires a constant sync between the modem and the Telco's DSLAM so even the slightest slowdown can cause the ADSL sync to be dropped requiring a reconnection which takes at least a few seconds and often more. This is very often the cause of constant dropped connections that so many ADSL users complain about.

I believe that the ASUS DSL range get around this problem to a large extent simply by having more horsepower (processor/RAM) available. So for the average home user they are an easy & workable solution. However, put enough strain on the device and it will also fail to maintain the ADSL sync.

The cheapest real solution to the above scenario is to put a cheap ADSL modem in bridge mode to a (non-ADSL) router. That way the full resources of the modem are always available to maintain the ADSL sync no matter how much strain is placed on the router.

To be honest, like Negreanu I always view those combination ADSL wifi routers as something of a toy as opposed to a real router. That's not to say I rubbish them completely, I don't. But I think it is useful to understand their limitations if you are likely to be connecting multiple wifi devices and/or doing heavy downloading/torrenting.

Maybe the case for cheap router/modem units......but the ASUS DSL N55u has a dual processor so that is not a problem. Regardless, the OP asked about a combo unit, so if I follow your logic I would like to add that Toyota makes the better car tongue.png

I should add, I have 15 clients connected to my ASUS DSL N55U, downloading on both Utorrent and Transmission simultaneously, uploading 4 cameras to an FTP site and my toy router/modem has not missed beat.

The OP asked a question and I gave my honest opinion on what he asked.