Anybody Else Considering A Move To Cambodia?

britgent

I spend a lot of time in Thailand but I live in Siem Reap; I have no idea how anyone can find Cambodia more expensive than Thailand.

$550 a month = 1 bedroom hotel apartment (living room, kitchen, bathroom and large bedroom) including all utility bills (electric, cable TV and internet) and regular maid service. Hotel has a salt water swimming pool (large one) and a pool table. Never have to carry anything heavy - hotel staff do it for you.

Beer, cheapest in town is 35 cents a beer in an incredible setting. Marlboro - $1.10 for 20. There's an artisan cheesemaker in town, best mature cheddar in Asia - $18 a kilo (try getting cheese for that price in Thailand), bread from a bakery is around $1 a loaf. Giant sized tub of marmite - $9 (roughly the same as a small pot in Tesco in Bangkok). And so on...

There is less choice than Bangkok. It is hard to find large sized clothing but a run to Bangkok every now again is both cheap and easy to solve that.

There's no cinema and entertainment options are more limited. Health care is poor but dentists are cheaper than Thailand and very good.

Could you live comfortably on $1,500 for two here? I know an Australian couple who live here with 5 children (of their own) who managed comfortably on less than $1,000 a month until recently.

$10 a meal in a restaurant? Sure, there are restaurants that charge that much. There are restaurants that charge more too. There are plenty of others that charge $2 a meal - dozens of them.

Long-term visas must be the easiest and cheapest of any destination in the world. One year, multiple entry, no police registration, no regular check ins, etc. = $285

It takes time to get to know Siem Reap - when you arrive, it's easy to get sucked into thinking that tourist Siem Reap is all that there is - it's not true. Cambodia is incredibly cheap to live in, and incredibly easy to live in.

And for the record, I've never been burgled, I've never been mugged and I've never seen a group of Khmer kicking the life out of a Westerner - no matter how much of an idiot that Westerner has been.

I live on that sum in a tier-2 city in Thailand......fixed it for ya..!

And? So What? Do you live in a hotel-serviced apartment and cover all the rest of your bills etc. on that sum? I doubt it. I could live in a shack for $40 a month here if I wanted to and spend less than $3 in food if I wanted to; I don't. Living a 3rd-rate life in the 3rd-world is not really something to be proud of. I didn't come to the developing world to live like a hillbilly - that's perfectly achievable back home. I came because I wanted a really nice life which is easily affordable. I got it.
  • Like 1

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spend a lot of time in Thailand but I live in Siem Reap;

How have you dealt with, or planned for, any medical/hospitalization needs that might arise???

Yes, I have full health insurance including a medical evacuation package. Costs about $200 a year more than the equivalent package in Thailand because medi-vac is not needed in LoS. Touch wood, I've never had to use it.

Thanks for the answer... Though, I also meant more basically, what if you need to see a doctor for some normal (non life threatening) treatment?

I'm assuming you don't get med-evacd for that? So what would you do for some treatment in-country?

Yes, the medical part is one thing I overlooked.

All packed and making arrangements to find suitable movers for the stuffs at home and my doggies then I'm set.

Healthcare related tips are duly appreciated.

Cambodia tends to have a bad reputation for local medical care, even at the larger facilities there including in PP.

Sheryl, our health forum moderator, seems very familiar with Cambodia medical stuff. And I've yet to see her offer a suggestion of anyplace there, as yet, that she'd feel comfortable referring people to.

I'm not looking to move. But really, local medical care in Cambodia remains the only one thing, from all the research I've done, that I haven't found a satisfactory answer to.

• Like 1

Cambodia tends to have a bad reputation for local medical care, even at the larger facilities there including in PP.

Sheryl, our health forum moderator, seems very familiar with Cambodia medical stuff. And I've yet to see her offer a suggestion of anyplace there, as yet, that she'd feel comfortable referring people to.

I'm not looking to move. But really, local medical care in Cambodia remains the only one thing, from all the research I've done, that I haven't found a satisfactory answer to.

I'm 46 and so far have no health issues whatsoever, but you'll never know.

Searching online for health insurance policies while awaiting answers.

Better safe than sorry, applies here.

Tosh. I paid $50 to see a British (fully qualified) doctor in Phnom Penh. I pay $25 to see a fully qualified British doctor in Siem Reap. My dentistry here is about half the cost of Thailand and just as good... for minor stuff, Cambodia's fine. For major stuff - flee to Thailand as fast as your legs, car, helicopter, etc. will carry you.

• Like 2

Tosh. I paid $50 to see a British (fully qualified) doctor in Phnom Penh. I pay $25 to see a fully qualified British doctor in Siem Reap. My dentistry here is about half the cost of Thailand and just as good... for minor stuff, Cambodia's fine. For major stuff - flee to Thailand as fast as your legs, car, helicopter, etc. will carry you.

Noted. Thank you:)

Sent from my iris405+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just curious, there are hardly any U.S. or UK doctors practicing (meaning treating) anywhere in Thailand, because, among other reasons, in order to do so, they have to pass the Thai medical boards that include proficiency in Thai language, which very few have or would be willing to obtain.

So I'm wondering, how it comes to pass that there are "fully qualified" British doctors able to be in business in PP and/or SR? And if they are "fully qualified," you'd kind of wonder why they're doing their medical business there... Perhaps Cambodia has different rules for accepting foreign doctors, or perhaps no rules that are enforced?

The British Doctor in Phnom Penh also serves the British embassy and runs a tropical disease clinic - I'm pretty certain he's certified. The one in Siem Reap came to work for an NGO as a volunteer and has just started his own practice after completing that run. He charges higher rates for tourists, lower rates for expats and treats most Khmer for free as part of the service.

Most of Cambodia runs on foreign doctors; Dr. Beat Richter is perhaps the most famous (and infamous depending on your point of view) of these.

Cambodia is not Thailand and trying to treat the two as similar is a waste of your time and effort.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent a few months in Cambodia mostly PP. I did quite enjoy SR, but never considered living there. Now having a look.

I love Thailand but the visa hoops alone is a drag. $550 for a serviced hotel that includes all bills sounds great! Add $20/day for food/drinking/entertainment is just $600 a month. My $1400 SS check would go far there! I can then just hop over to Thailand a few times a year.

How welcoming are the locals there to long term expats? I will say I felt safer in SR more than anywhere else in Cambodia. I never had a problem but do think you need to watch your back more than Thailand.

I have spent a few months in Cambodia mostly PP. I did quite enjoy SR, but never considered living there. Now having a look.

I love Thailand but the visa hoops alone is a drag. $550 for a serviced hotel that includes all bills sounds great! Add $20/day for food/drinking/entertainment is just $600 a month. My $1400 SS check would go far there! I can then just hop over to Thailand a few times a year.

How welcoming are the locals there to long term expats? I will say I felt safer in SR more than anywhere else in Cambodia. I never had a problem but do think you need to watch your back more than Thailand.

As long as you behave like a human being there is far, far less danger to the person in Siem Reap than in Thailand. I regularly stagger home squiffy down dark alleyways etc. and have never come across as so much as a hint of trouble. They like expats here, as long as we behave and spend money - we're welcome.

Crime here is normally snatch and grab thefts (solved by learning not to hold your iPhone in the air as motodops whizz past you) and burglary (solved by living somewhere secure and not living in a $40 Khmer shack). I've never had a problem in 3 years of living here. One nice thing about Cambodia is that if there is a problem - it is normally resolved between the two parties, you will not suddenly find an angry mob of Khmer chasing you down the street to kill you - unless you've done something that truly merits it (like killing someone).

I live here (with a partner) on about $2k a month and have a very good standard of living. $1,400 a month is also no problem (you can get a service hotel room - rather than an apartment for $2-300 a month and keep more for going out and the occasional trip to Bangkok). When money was tighter - I lived on $10 a day here (eating 3 meals out and having a few beers and maintaining my cigarette consumption) and it wasn't an unpleasant experience. Get away from Pub Street and you'll find that Siem Reap is a very easy place to live in and very cheap. (Confession, I loved Pub Street when I first arrived from China following a brief foray in Thailand but... now I never go. The food's bad for the local area and Pub Street just attracts annoying backpackers).

• Like 1

As long as you behave like a human being there is far, far less danger to the person in Siem Reap than in Thailand. I regularly stagger home squiffy down dark alleyways etc. and have never come across as so much as a hint of trouble. They like expats here, as long as we behave and spend money - we're welcome.

Crime here is normally snatch and grab thefts (solved by learning not to hold your iPhone in the air as motodops whizz past you) and burglary (solved by living somewhere secure and not living in a $40 Khmer shack). I've never had a problem in 3 years of living here. One nice thing about Cambodia is that if there is a problem - it is normally resolved between the two parties, you will not suddenly find an angry mob of Khmer chasing you down the street to kill you - unless you've done something that truly merits it (like killing someone).

I live here (with a partner) on about $2k a month and have a very good standard of living. $1,400 a month is also no problem (you can get a service hotel room - rather than an apartment for $2-300 a month and keep more for going out and the occasional trip to Bangkok). When money was tighter - I lived on $10 a day here (eating 3 meals out and having a few beers and maintaining my cigarette consumption) and it wasn't an unpleasant experience. Get away from Pub Street and you'll find that Siem Reap is a very easy place to live in and very cheap. (Confession, I loved Pub Street when I first arrived from China following a brief foray in Thailand but... now I never go. The food's bad for the local area and Pub Street just attracts annoying backpackers).

Thanks for that and love your screen name!

How do you get around? I remember it being very walkable and tuks tuks did not seem to hike their prices as much as PP.

I use to love those $5 foot massages as I had a beer watching a movie outside! I was there in April 2012.

Lets just hpe that visa stays the same! I like the idea of making Cambodia a home base and being able to come and go as I please. That too cost extra in Thailand for the reentry permit.

I am back in the US for now and interestingly noticed that is about the same to fly to PP then BKK. PP use to be quite a bit more. Ok I am just rambling now.

Thanks for that and love your screen name!

How do you get around? I remember it being very walkable and tuks tuks did not seem to hike their prices as much as PP.

I use to love those $5 foot massages as I had a beer watching a movie outside! I was there in April 2012.

Lets just hpe that visa stays the same! I like the idea of making Cambodia a home base and being able to come and go as I please. That too cost extra in Thailand for the reentry permit.

I am back in the US for now and interestingly noticed that is about the same to fly to PP then BKK. PP use to be quite a bit more. Ok I am just rambling now.

Thank you. :-) And yes, I get around by tuk-tuk - set a price before you get in for minimal arguments. Once you've been here a month or so... your local drivers will accept whatever you give for a journey without argument (as long as you don't take the piss).

Cheap foot massages are available still in spades. The additional cost of flight into Cambodia from Europe is about $100 more than BKK usually. No idea about the US.

I spend a lot of time in Thailand but I live in Siem Reap; I have no idea how anyone can find Cambodia more expensive than Thailand.

$550 a month = 1 bedroom hotel apartment (living room, kitchen, bathroom and large bedroom) including all utility bills (electric, cable TV and internet) and regular maid service. Hotel has a salt water swimming pool (large one) and a pool table. Never have to carry anything heavy - hotel staff do it for you.

Beer, cheapest in town is 35 cents a beer in an incredible setting. Marlboro - $1.10 for 20. There's an artisan cheesemaker in town, best mature cheddar in Asia - $18 a kilo (try getting cheese for that price in Thailand), bread from a bakery is around $1 a loaf. Giant sized tub of marmite - $9 (roughly the same as a small pot in Tesco in Bangkok). And so on...

There is less choice than Bangkok. It is hard to find large sized clothing but a run to Bangkok every now again is both cheap and easy to solve that.

There's no cinema and entertainment options are more limited. Health care is poor but dentists are cheaper than Thailand and very good.

Could you live comfortably on $1,500 for two here? I know an Australian couple who live here with 5 children (of their own) who managed comfortably on less than $1,000 a month until recently.

$10 a meal in a restaurant? Sure, there are restaurants that charge that much. There are restaurants that charge more too. There are plenty of others that charge $2 a meal - dozens of them.

Long-term visas must be the easiest and cheapest of any destination in the world. One year, multiple entry, no police registration, no regular check ins, etc. = $285

It takes time to get to know Siem Reap - when you arrive, it's easy to get sucked into thinking that tourist Siem Reap is all that there is - it's not true. Cambodia is incredibly cheap to live in, and incredibly easy to live in.

And for the record, I've never been burgled, I've never been mugged and I've never seen a group of Khmer kicking the life out of a Westerner - no matter how much of an idiot that Westerner has been.

I live on that sum in a tier-2 city in Thailand......fixed it for ya..!

And? So What? Do you live in a hotel-serviced apartment and cover all the rest of your bills etc. on that sum? I doubt it. I could live in a shack for $40 a month here if I wanted to and spend less than $3 in food if I wanted to; I don't. Living a 3rd-rate life in the 3rd-world is not really something to be proud of. I didn't come to the developing world to live like a hillbilly - that's perfectly achievable back home. I came because I wanted a really nice life which is easily affordable. I got it.

I don't live in a shack...you can live pretty comfortably here if you don't drink or whoremonger, on 600$...in ordinary cities...Hat Yai in my case.

I found it difficult in Cambo and with bad infrastructure.

I don't want to be "pretty comfortable" in the middle of nowhere. I want to be "very comfortable" in somewhere that has lots of options. The roads in Cambodia are crap but there are no other infrastructure problems in Siem Reap that I can think of. If you used to live in Cambodia a few years ago - you'd be amazed how much it has changed in a short time. I would like to live in Thailand (and may do so - I have an ED-visa permit but I haven't been able to pick it up - if my government ever condescends to process my passport; yes, I'm British) but not in Hat Yai or Buri Ram. I earn a decent living, I can choose to be elsewhere but I really do like Cambodia.

Out of all the places on earth to live Siem Reap seems like an odd choice. Is there an expat community there? The place is a ghost town half the year and a revolving door of dirty back packers for the other half. Sure the people are nice and it's cheap but I would loose my mind living there. Phnom Penh is a depressing dump but it's far more interesting. Never made it to the beach but I will check it out on my next visa run.

It has been several years since I was in Cambodia. I was in Siam Reap and I noticed yes there was a lot of English spoken. But it seemed to me that a lot of therm did not understand it when I would ask for information.

Also of concern to me was I had been to PP several times before and noticed there was not that many ATMs around. I would imagine that situation has improved in the last five years.

Was wondering about opening a bank account and transferring funds in from bank's in the States and Canada.

It has changed.

The Cambodians are WAY ahead of the Thais in their knowledge, use and interest in English language. It is most noticeable (but not exclusively so) in the youngsters. Young tykes selling postcards, books etc can, at the age of 11, hold a a conversation with you. Many can name the last 3 British prime ministers - and likely US presidents. 

A 24 year old waitress in a Pub Street restaurant, earning $120 a month, could speak Khmer, Thai, English and German - all to a reasonable conversational standard. A minibus driver earning $2 a day took great pride in pointing out "cow", "house" "dog" on a journey and told me how he learned English by listening to an English language radio station every night.

These people knew that being able to speak English would help them to earn more money - a perfectly reasonable motivation.

I find this interesting that I have encountered superior english speaking skills in both Laos and Cambodia not by all but by those with a vested interest dealing with foreigners. I really believe that the poor english of Thais is a lack of interest in learning or a resentment.  Laos and northern Isaan share a similar dialect yet the Laos can learn better and with few foreign teachers.   I also find it fascinating that the countries that have been colonized in the past seem to be more willing to learn foreign languages. 

• Like 1

Out of all the places on earth to live Siem Reap seems like an odd choice. Is there an expat community there? The place is a ghost town half the year and a revolving door of dirty back packers for the other half. Sure the people are nice and it's cheap but I would loose my mind living there. Phnom Penh is a depressing dump but it's far more interesting. Never made it to the beach but I will check it out on my next visa run.

The place is never a ghost town - that was once true but there are at least 20,000 people packed into Siem Reap every single day of the year - looking at the temples now. It's got a great expat community; if you know where to look. Phnom Penh is OK but the expat community is nowhere near as good and I don't like it anywhere near as much. I'd skip the beaches; Thailand has Cambodia beat there.

In spite of low season heat and humidity, Siem Reap was a delight for us. We spent 10 days beginning July 1.

4G internet from the local provider was cheap and very fast, both on the handset and tablet. I spent about 300 baht putting in new sims, and signing up for one month or one GB on each.

A four star quality boutique hotel cost us 500 baht a day, and the beautifully prepared fusion dishes turned out by the kitchen were 100-150 baht per. Happy hour Bloody Marys around the saltwater pool were 65 baht each, and superb.

Liquor is half the price of Thailand, and very good beers are available at similar prices to Thailand, but better quality.

Strolling at and after sundown is very pleasant. We stayed in the Wat Bo neighborhood, and could easily walk to the markets and Pub Street. If clubs are your thing, the scene is much more sophisticated than that in Chiang Mai, with a lot of options concentrated in a relatively small part of town. People speak English everywhere you go, and except for the occasional gonzo motosai guy running amok in the walking street area, it's safe as any place I've been.

I'm taking the advice of locals and plan to return in mid-November for a longer stay, and exploration of PP and Sihanoukville.

My first impression is I could live in Cambodia, but I'll need more experience before making a decision. I'll also need to know what problems may arise when I bring a Thai wife along with me. I've no idea whether she'll be able to come in under my one-year visa or will be required to enter as an ASEAN alien.

• Like 2

In spite of low season heat and humidity, Siem Reap was a delight for us. We spent 10 days beginning July 1.

4G internet from the local provider was cheap and very fast, both on the handset and tablet. I spent about 300 baht putting in new sims, and signing up for one month or one GB on each.

A four star quality boutique hotel cost us 500 baht a day, and the beautifully prepared fusion dishes turned out by the kitchen were 100-150 baht per. Happy hour Bloody Marys around the saltwater pool were 65 baht each, and superb.

Liquor is half the price of Thailand, and very good beers are available at similar prices to Thailand, but better quality.

Strolling at and after sundown is very pleasant. We stayed in the Wat Bo neighborhood, and could easily walk to the markets and Pub Street. If clubs are your thing, the scene is much more sophisticated than that in Chiang Mai, with a lot of options concentrated in a relatively small part of town. People speak English everywhere you go, and except for the occasional gonzo motosai guy running amok in the walking street area, it's safe as any place I've been.

I'm taking the advice of locals and plan to return in mid-November for a longer stay, and exploration of PP and Sihanoukville.

My first impression is I could live in Cambodia, but I'll need more experience before making a decision. I'll also need to know what problems may arise when I bring a Thai wife along with me. I've no idea whether she'll be able to come in under my one-year visa or will be required to enter as an ASEAN alien.

Zero issues for the Thai wife. She enters on a 14-day visa waiver and then buys a 1 year multi-entry ordinary visa (just like you will) from a travel agent. I've done this twice with my now-ex Thai girlfriend. There are only two visas in Cambodia (available to non-diplomats and non-NGOs anyway) tourist and ordinary; there are no ASEAN visas, etc.

• Like 2

The place is never a ghost town - that was once true but there are at least 20,000 people packed into Siem Reap every single day of the year - looking at the temples now. It's got a great expat community; if you know where to look. Phnom Penh is OK but the expat community is nowhere near as good and I don't like it anywhere near as much. I'd skip the beaches; Thailand has Cambodia beat there.

A thriving and diverse expat community, including artists, entrepreneurs etc.

• Like 1

Entirely true Sheryl. Siem Reap is much more than just a tourist town but it does take a little while to "hook a brother up" with the expat community because it's quite well-hidden at first glance.

• Like 1

Entirely true Sheryl. Siem Reap is much more than just a tourist town but it does take a little while to "hook a brother up" with the expat community because it's quite well-hidden at first glance.

Get ready. You may have another brother to hook up in the coming year. I loved the place.

Where in Thailand would I see something like this?

• Like 1

PP looks more interesting , I like the city life . And lots of restaurants and coffee shops with western food/drinks. Also a nice casino in PP if your into gambling and poker.  

If I'll have future problems with my visa here in Thailand I will consider a temporary move to PP .

Edited by balo

PP looks more interesting , I like the city life . And lots of restaurants and coffee shops with western food/drinks. Also a nice casino in PP if your into gambling and poker.  

If I'll have future problems with my visa here in Thailand I will consider a temporary move to PP .

SR doesn't have a casino and it has only one girly bar but it has more restaurant and coffee shops serving Western food than PP by a margin of around 2 to 1. We get the tourists so we get the stuff designed to attract their spending. There's not enough differentiation in the restaurant and bar scene in either city yet but they are both slowly improving. It's also worth noting that the best wine cellar in Asia (and one of the 10 best in the world) is in Siem Reap.

How is the Thai expat group currently in Siem Reap? Is there any kind of a community there for those of us who might be looking for an opportunity with a Thai family? I would think that a great number of the tourists would be Thai and therefore there should be a thriving community, but the last time I was there was over 10 years ago and there wasn't much of anything at all then.

Have some business ideas that might work well in the newly christened Kingdom of Wonder, but still trying to decide on how to convince the wife to go along with this. I was originally thinking Phnom Penh, but the more I consider it, it might make more sense to start out in a smaller market with more tourists.

Any insights in this regard?

How is the Thai expat group currently in Siem Reap? Is there any kind of a community there for those of us who might be looking for an opportunity with a Thai family? I would think that a great number of the tourists would be Thai and therefore there should be a thriving community, but the last time I was there was over 10 years ago and there wasn't much of anything at all then.

Have some business ideas that might work well in the newly christened Kingdom of Wonder, but still trying to decide on how to convince the wife to go along with this. I was originally thinking Phnom Penh, but the more I consider it, it might make more sense to start out in a smaller market with more tourists.

Any insights in this regard?

There are definitely Thai tourists here but they don't make up that significant a number (surprising perhaps given their proximity to here) and the Thai expat community is minimal all across Cambodia. Lots of Chinese, Viet, Koreans and even some Japanese but very few Thais.