Itunes Installation Problem

sierra01

You must be running Windows as Apple won't give an error about the registry, try right Click on the Setup File and Select "Run as Administrator"

Ps: The setup file needs to be run as an Administrator as it needs to access to your program files directory and certain places in the Registry (as you noticed). A "normal" user will have Read Only Access only to these places.

Edit : */ Added Ps:

Edited by MJCM

You must be running Windows as Apple won't give an error about the registry, try right Click on the Setup File and Select "Run as Administrator"

Ps: The setup file needs to be run as an Administrator as it needs to access to your program files directory and certain places in the Registry (as you noticed). A "normal" user will have Read Only Access only to these places.

Edit : */ Added Ps:

I did as you said, ran it as administrator, same ending : yes i'm using windows 7 home, nothing has changed on it so i dont understand what the problem is

1. In Windows 7 on the Start menu, click All Programs, click Accessories and click Run.
  2. Type in Regedit and click OK (this takes you to the Registry Editor).
  3. Click the reveal button (arrow or + sign) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  4. Click the reveal button (arrow or + sign) next to SOFTWARE under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  5. Click the reveal button (arrow or + sign) next to Classes.
  6. Click the reveal button (arrow or + sign) next to ".m4v."
    1. Select the .m4v key in the left hand list.
    2. On the File menu, click Export.
    3. In the dialogue that comes up, make sure the "Selected branch" button is selected for the Export Range.
    4. Save the file with a name and in a location that will be convenient to find, such as "m4v settings" saved to the Desktop.
  7. To save (make a backup) the original contents of the registry, so that you could go back to your original state if necessary:
  8. Find the heading OpenWithProgIds
  9. Right-click on OpenWithProgIds
  10. From the pop-up menu, click Permissions.
  11. Click the Add button. The Select Users or Groups dialogue opens.
  12. Click the Advanced button. A larger dialogue also labeled Select Users or Groups opens.
  13. Click the Find Now button.

The Find Now button should list all of the users on your system.

14. Select Everyone in the list of users.
  15. Click OK. This closes the second Select Users or Groups dialogue.

The first Select Users or Groups dialogue now lists Everyone in the Enter

the object names to select field.

16. Click OK in the dialogue box now on top. This closes the first Select Users or Groups dialogue.
  17. In the Permissions for Everyone section, select the Allow check box for Full Control. Click OK.

Close Regedit, restart the computer, and try the install again.

Edit: */ Added some more highlighting !!

Edited by MJCM

1. In Windows 7 on the Start menu, click All Programs, click Accessories and click Run.
  2. Type in Regedit and click OK (this takes you to the Registry Editor).
  3. Click the reveal button (arrow or + sign) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  4. Click the reveal button (arrow or + sign) next to SOFTWARE under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  5. Click the reveal button (arrow or + sign) next to Classes.
  6. Click the reveal button (arrow or + sign) next to ".m4v."
    1. Select the .m4v key in the left hand list.
    2. On the File menu, click Export.
    3. In the dialogue that comes up, make sure the "Selected branch" button is selected for the Export Range.
    4. Save the file with a name and in a location that will be convenient to find, such as "m4v settings" saved to the Desktop.
  7. To save (make a backup) the original contents of the registry, so that you could go back to your original state if necessary:
  8. Find the heading OpenWithProgIds
  9. Right-click on OpenWithProgIds
  10. From the pop-up menu, click Permissions.
  11. Click the Add button. The Select Users or Groups dialogue opens.
  12. Click the Advanced button. A larger dialogue also labeled Select Users or Groups opens.
  13. Click the Find Now button.

The Find Now button should list all of the users on your system.

14. Select Everyone in the list of users.
  15. Click OK. This closes the second Select Users or Groups dialogue.

The first Select Users or Groups dialogue now lists Everyone in the Enter

the object names to select field.

16. Click OK in the dialogue box now on top. This closes the first Select Users or Groups dialogue.
  17. In the Permissions for Everyone section, select the Allow check box for Full Control. Click OK.

Close Regedit, restart the computer, and try the install again.

Edit: */ Added some more highlighting !!

Big sigh sad.png Not my day is it.

post-21450-0-72494900-1361826957_thumb.j

Edited by sierra01

@sierra01, Did you run regedit as Administrator !!

1 In Windows Click Start, Where it says "Search Program and Files" Type in Regedit, right click and select "Run as Administrator"

And then do the procedure from step 3 again

Edited by MJCM

Uninstall completely, reboot, run ccleaner and clean registry from within ccleaner... reboot and install itunes.

Good advice, except uninstall will not clear the wrong permissions on a Registry Key, plus Ccleaner can clean too much (if you don't know what too clean) leaving the OP with a "dead" computer.

Can you take a screen shot of the Permissions ?? It looks like some user different then Admin is owner of the Key, which means that you have to take ownership

Right Click on the Key, Click Permissions, Click Advanced, Click Owner, and show me a screen shot.

If the Owner is system, you have to click the Administrator user (in the lower group), and check "Replace Owner on sub containers and objects" and click apply.

And then try again.

If that doesn't work, I have no clue other then that you maybe have a corrupt registry, then maybe somtanications uninstall and reinstall might work. But I hope in case that goes wrong you have a backup of you iTunes Library.

Edited by MJCM

Can you take a screen shot of the Permissions ?? It looks like some user different then Admin is owner of the Key, which means that you have to take ownership

Right Click on the Key, Click Permissions, Click Advanced, Click Owner, and show me a screen shot.

If the Owner is system, you have to click the Administrator user (in the lower group), and check "Replace Owner on sub containers and objects" and click apply.

And then try again.

If that doesn't work, I have no clue other then that you maybe have a corrupt registry, then maybe somtanications uninstall and reinstall might work. But I hope in case that goes wrong you have a backup of you iTunes Library.

I use icloud for back up. See the pic....

post-21450-0-97243500-1361872201_thumb.j

You see "Unable to display current owner" you now have to take ownership of the key as Administrator !!

Right Click on the Key, Click Permissions, Click Advanced, Click Owner

Click the Administrator user (in the lower group), and check "Replace Owner on sub containers and
objects" and click apply.

And then try again.

Edited by MJCM

You see "Unable to display current owner" you now have to take ownership of the key as Administrator !!

Click the Administrator user (in the lower group), and check "Replace Owner on sub containers and

And then try again.

It seems i'm blocked at every turn

post-21450-0-66666000-1361885745_thumb.j

And then try again.

It seems i'm blocked at every turn

Oke try to take ownership of the Top most key (meaning .M4V) and also deselect "Replace Owner on sub containers and objects" and click apply. Also try it with selecting "Replace Owner on sub containers and objects" and click apply.

Try this for every subkey, so all Openwith keys.

Question: Did this pc belong to a Domain ?? That would explain the "Unknown Owner" Message'

Here are some links which describe the whole process I am trying to do:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/take-full-permissions-control-edit-protected-registry-keys/

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/full-control-permission-to-delete-or-edit-restricted-windows-registry/

Ps The 2nd link (raymond.cc) also describes how to edit the registry by using the System Account. If all fails, I think you should try it via that way)

Ps2: Before you that, make sure you make a System Restore Point

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/Create-a-restore-point

Edited by MJCM

I understand that you are worried, but you are only dealing with 1 registry key and this registry key is not important for the working of your PC, but it is for the working of iTunes.

Oke can you try again to change the permissions as Admin after starting the PC in safe Mode ??

I understand that you are worried, but you are only dealing with 1 registry key and this registry key is not important for the working of your PC, but it is for the working of iTunes. Oke can you try again to change the permissions as Admin after starting the PC in safe Mode ??

ok, i'have a go when i get home from work tonight

Even in safe mode got the same result. I decided to remove anything and everything Apple, iTunes, iCloud, Bonjour and Quicktime, used a trusted registry cleaner 5 or 6 times, tried again to install iTunes.....same bloody result :( I'm going the whole hog now, wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows. My computer could probably do with freshening up so this is a good reason to do it.

Even in safe mode got the same result. I decided to remove anything and everything Apple, iTunes, iCloud, Bonjour and Quicktime, used a trusted registry cleaner 5 or 6 times, tried again to install iTunes.....same bloody result sad.png I'm going the whole hog now, wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows. My computer could probably do with freshening up so this is a good reason to do it.

I am real sorry to hear that, but I was already expecting that, as uninstall will not reset registry settings (they should but that's another story).

I am only wondering how this registry key had it's permission changed, as normal either the User System or someone in the Administrator Group (cq Trusted Installer) is owner of these keys.

Edited by MJCM

Even in safe mode got the same result. I decided to remove anything and everything Apple, iTunes, iCloud, Bonjour and Quicktime, used a trusted registry cleaner 5 or 6 times, tried again to install iTunes.....same bloody result sad.png I'm going the whole hog now, wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows. My computer could probably do with freshening up so this is a good reason to do it.

I am real sorry to hear that, but I was already expecting that, as uninstall will not reset registry settings (they should but that's another story).

I am only wondering how this registry key had it's permission changed, as normal either the User System or someone in the Administrator Group (cq Trusted Installer) is owner of these keys.

I didnt change any registry keys, honest guv :( all I did was try to install the latest version of iTunes

What a nightmare. Never heard of such a problem with itunes before. The issue would be to uninstall, reboot, run a registry scanner either from ccleaner or little registry cleaner. Reboot, run it again and then reinstall itunes.

Thats what I basically did!

I wiped the harddrive, installed a fresh copy on Windows 7, got the net up and running, installed a few programs, had another go at iTunes......:(( By this time I'm well pi$$ed off, did another clean install of Windows then immediately installed version 11.0.1 and hey presto no problems. For some reason my computer doesnt like the latest version, so I'll stick with the old version until a new one comes out. This will go down as one of my life's little mysteries. Anyway, thanks MJCM, can you be on standby for the next version please!

• Like 1