Yingluck ' Won't Be Meeting Thaksin' During Trip To Korea And Hong Kong

webfact

If You Want To Rule An Asian State As A Woman, You Better Have a Father Or Husband In Charge First

The election and swearing-in of Park Geun-hye as South Korea’s first female president marks a historic moment for the East Asian country and U.S. ally. While that may sound like a revolutionary development, it actually continues a less noble tradition in Asia -- the rise to power of women who are the wives or daughters of powerful male leaders.

Park Geun-hye, 61, who defeated liberal opponent Moon Jae-in in the general election in December did not get to the top entirely on her own. She is the daughter of Park Chung-hee, the military dictator who ruled South Korea with an iron fist from 1961 to 1979. Such family connections, while frequently dangerous, are of crucial importance to attaining power across Asia, even in “democratic” states like South Korea.

The current prime minister of Thailand, Yingluck Shinawatra, is not only the first female of her country to hold that post, but she is also the younger sister of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was removed by a military coup in 2006. (However, Yingluck is widely believed to be a puppet for her exiled brother).

Continued:

http://www.ibtimes.com/if-you-want-rule-asian-state-woman-you-better-have-father-or-husband-charge-first-1102901

I'm pleased that you are starting to show an understanding of how power works in Asia.

Well done.

Let me add the final paragraphs that you failed to reference.

"Still, women politicians continue to face difficulties breaking into the highest levels of politics, even in the West.

Part of it is driven by culture. It's only been recently that women

have started to move to prominent leadership roles in business and other

industries, and also because women have low participation rates in

government, due in a large part to legal, cultural, and socioeconomic

barriers,” Chandler explained.

“It's only been in the last few decades where women have had better

opportunities to win elected offices in the Western democracies -- and

in the last 10 to 12 years where more and more women have been elected

to the U.S. Congress.”

Indeed, some prominent Western countries, including the U.S., France,

Italy and Spain, have never had a woman leader, while Britain and

Germany have only had one each. ....."

For your further reading and progress, may I suggest "The Soong Dynasty " by Stirling Seagrave.

Puts a certain period into perspective.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If You Want To Rule An Asian State As A Woman, You Better Have a Father Or Husband In Charge First

The election and swearing-in of Park Geun-hye as South Koreas first female president marks a historic moment for the East Asian country and U.S. ally. While that may sound like a revolutionary development, it actually continues a less noble tradition in Asia -- the rise to power of women who are the wives or daughters of powerful male leaders.

Park Geun-hye, 61, who defeated liberal opponent Moon Jae-in in the general election in December did not get to the top entirely on her own. She is the daughter of Park Chung-hee, the military dictator who ruled South Korea with an iron fist from 1961 to 1979. Such family connections, while frequently dangerous, are of crucial importance to attaining power across Asia, even in democratic states like South Korea.

The current prime minister of Thailand, Yingluck Shinawatra, is not only the first female of her country to hold that post, but she is also the younger sister of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was removed by a military coup in 2006. (However, Yingluck is widely believed to be a puppet for her exiled brother).

Continued:

http://www.ibtimes.com/if-you-want-rule-asian-state-woman-you-better-have-father-or-husband-charge-first-1102901

I'm pleased that you are starting to show an understanding of how power works in Asia.

Well done.

"Still, women politicians continue to face difficulties breaking into the highest levels of politics, even in the West.

Part of it is driven by culture. It's only been recently that women

have started to move to prominent leadership roles in business and other

industries, and also because women have low participation rates in

government, due in a large part to legal, cultural, and socioeconomic

barriers, Chandler explained.

It's only been in the last few decades where women have had better

opportunities to win elected offices in the Western democracies -- and

in the last 10 to 12 years where more and more women have been elected

to the U.S. Congress.

Indeed, some prominent Western countries, including the U.S., France,

Italy and Spain, have never had a woman leader, while Britain and

Germany have only had one each. ....."

For your further reading and progress, may I suggest "The Soong Dynasty " by Stirling Seagrave.

Puts a certain period into perspective.

But Phil even you as a Yingluck supporter know that she only has the position of real PM because of Thaksin. Regardless of the above article and how difficult it is for women to break into the political fray. It is what it is here in LOS. Edited by Pimay1

The election and swearing-in of Park Geun-hye as South Korea’s first female president marks a historic moment for the East Asian country and U.S. ally. While that may sound like a revolutionary development, it actually continues a less noble tradition in Asia -- the rise to power of women who are the wives or daughters of powerful male leaders.

Park Geun-hye, 61, who defeated liberal opponent Moon Jae-in in the general election in December did not get to the top entirely on her own. She is the daughter of Park Chung-hee, the military dictator who ruled South Korea with an iron fist from 1961 to 1979. Such family connections, while frequently dangerous, are of crucial importance to attaining power across Asia, even in “democratic” states like South Korea.

Continued:

Well done.

< excessive quoting outside fair use snipped >

Thank you. I thought it was relevant that similar to other women leaders in Asia, Yingluck achieved her position through family ties and not on any of her own merits.

I didn't fail to reference anything. Just simply trying to comply with forum rules on fair use.

Edited by Buchholz

Continued:

Well done.

Thank you. I thought it was relevant that similar to other women leaders in Asia, Yingluck achieved her position through family ties and not on any of her own merits.

I didn't fail to reference anything. Just simply trying to comply with forum rules on fair use.

Sweet..............But i thought editing other peoples posts was infra dig, sort of.

But let me repeat.

"I'm pleased that you are starting to show an understanding of how power works in Asia.

Well done."

Continued:

Well done.

Sweet..............
Just removed your erroneous assumptions.

There's no need for you to repeat your error.