What Is Ur Education?

ajarnmark

Education Poll  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Khall,

Define progress.....another thread posits the same thesis albeit through the prism of whom we regard as the good or the great. Apart from the facile response expected from the usual retards, folk have inadvertently hit upon the key, it's not the century, it is the man( meant generically).

For me, my heroes are Isaac Newton and the guy who hit upon ' zero ' but in bleak moments I hanker after that old poof Da Vinci who concluded that people were in the main ' sacks for food' and ' fillers of pisspots '

But, of course, he had never been to the Gold Coast!

TG I did not mention "progress" in my post. Where is that coming from? I do not believe that education equals progress, but it sure helps in making informed decisions about the advancement of the planet. Many under-educated people have no idea about the mechanisms of planet Earth and therefore continue to trash their very lifeforce in the quest for short term wealth. Having said that, many so-called entrepreneurs are making squillions doing the same thing but in the guise of job creation. I'm gonna get dizzy chasing my tail here - but I sure as don't want to live on the Gold Coast. Been there done that! :o

Petal,

It's implicit in the thread but you seem to have missed the point. Education aka learning is how nature prepares its young for the environment it will encounter. Simple really, but most miss the obvious. Engage your brain please.....

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I despise the school of thought that expouses the theory that time spent in tertiary institutions equals superiority.

I certainly agree that it doesn't make a person superior, but it can impart a superior knowledge. This isn't everything, of course, but it can help. If you went to see a doctor and discovered that they had no formal learning, you might be a touch apprehensive.

I did some study later in my work career and have some qualifications, but they mean little to me.

What, not even the satisfaction of achieving something requiring hard work?

In the workplace I found I was always way ahead of the Masters or Doctorate degree holders in the practicalities of life and work.

The two are not mutually exclusive: it is possible for well-educated people to be practical, in the same way as it is possible for those without qualifications to be ignoramuses.

I consider excessive tertiary study to be a way of avoiding the real world and a pathetic attempt to gain status. Something that the British and Americans have in common.

But NEVER an Aussie, of course! :o

5555555555 Thanks Sadman. One of your rare serious posts. Red writing no less. I knew I would get some interest with this post.

I would agree with most of your rebutals. One doesn't neccesarily exclude the other.

Of course there are Aussie tight <deleted>, but far fewer than in the countries I mentioned.

Education, and the status it brings in the community, is not the same thing in Australia as it is in America and Britain. In Oz, generally you have to prove yourself as a capable person, not how long you hid in a Uni.

Oh God, it seems all those dreary american posters have missed the point of the thread.Quelle surprise?

I particularly like the the septic BEM, ex NSA, but gosh I can't say a word "I'm retired man but I just couldn't resist it, you know what I mean." Hey, Mr. Cryptoanalyst, how's the microwave perm or have we not reached that stage yet?

That of course will not mean anything to most, mods included, so don't knock yourselves out. But BEM is cool, aren't you buddy?

That aside, education beyond 16 - 17 is mostly conceit feeding the vanity of the alleged educated.

I have little formal education beyond 16 but I still read and ask why.

I had the one of highest IQs in my high school, but didn't go to uni. Instead I went "up north" and worked in many varied jobs for good money. I despise the school of thought that expouses the theory that time spent in tertiary institutions equals superiority. I did some study later in my work career and have some qualifications, but they mean little to me.

In the workplace I found I was always way ahead of the Masters or Doctorate degree holders in the practicalities of life and work.

I consider excessive tertiary study to be a way of avoiding the real world and a pathetic attempt to gain status. Something that the British and Americans have in common.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much......

Oh God, it seems all those dreary american posters have missed the point of the thread.Quelle surprise?

I particularly like the the septic BEM, ex NSA, but gosh I can't say a word "I'm retired man but I just couldn't resist it, you know what I mean." Hey, Mr. Cryptoanalyst, how's the microwave perm or have we not reached that stage yet?

That of course will not mean anything to most, mods included, so don't knock yourselves out. But BEM is cool, aren't you buddy?

That aside, education beyond 16 - 17 is mostly conceit feeding the vanity of the alleged educated.

I had the one of highest IQs in my high school, but didn't go to uni. Instead I went "up north" and worked in many varied jobs for good money. I despise the school of thought that expouses the theory that time spent in tertiary institutions equals superiority. I did some study later in my work career and have some qualifications, but they mean little to me.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much......

Thanks for that. On several fronts. :o

Khall,

Define progress.....another thread posits the same thesis albeit through the prism of whom we regard as the good or the great. Apart from the facile response expected from the usual retards, folk have inadvertently hit upon the key, it's not the century, it is the man( meant generically).

For me, my heroes are Isaac Newton and the guy who hit upon ' zero ' but in bleak moments I hanker after that old poof Da Vinci who concluded that people were in the main ' sacks for food' and ' fillers of pisspots '

But, of course, he had never been to the Gold Coast!

TG I did not mention "progress" in my post. Where is that coming from? I do not believe that education equals progress, but it sure helps in making informed decisions about the advancement of the planet. Many under-educated people have no idea about the mechanisms of planet Earth and therefore continue to trash their very lifeforce in the quest for short term wealth. Having said that, many so-called entrepreneurs are making squillions doing the same thing but in the guise of job creation. I'm gonna get dizzy chasing my tail here - but I sure as don't want to live on the Gold Coast. Been there done that! :o

Petal,

It's implicit in the thread but you seem to have missed the point. Education aka learning is how nature prepares its young for the environment it will encounter. Simple really, but most miss the obvious. Engage your brain please.....

I'm far from a mere petal.... however, nature (these days) prepares its young for the (harsh) environment it will encounter by instilling an engaged brain in the hardiest of the species in order to encounter (and survive) an environment that most of us never imagined. We were "promised" increased leisure with our new-technological world. Instead our flight has become fight in order to survive where our "ancestors" enjoyed a much simpler world without the need to stay in school for the better part of our young adulthoods. :D

Seven pages of thread and not one mention of the boys in orange.

They acquire a knowledge superior to any displayed here.

They are content in their life.

Their work is a vital part of Thai life.

They are revered and respected by all Thai.

What more could anyone need?

Thomas, have you noticed that many of the boys in orange wear Nikes and watches and carry mobile phones these days? :o

Not all monks are revered and respected by all Thais TM. Only the good ones, and many are not and haven't been in the past as many Thais will tell you.

Not all monks are revered and respected by all Thais TM. Only the good ones, and many are not and haven't been in the past as many Thais will tell you.

Not wishing to discuss this too much - at the risk of being disrespectful: I am fully aware of the "finishing school" aspect of some of these gentlemen and the often unfortunate consequences of those not suited for this life.

I am, of course, in my original posting (quoted above) referring to those who spend their lives being Buddhist monks.

Well said TM. Took the words out my mouth. Spiritual education is by far the most important thing, for me anyway.

Sad how some equate education to degrees, jobs, money then happiness.

I went to university just because it was expected. I got the best paying job as it seemed the best thing to do. I was miserable, it was all <deleted> - jealous of the guy next door as his porche was newer than mine, hooked on drugs/booze etc

I had my "moment of clarity" a few years back and went to India to study a kind of meditation/Hindu philosophy/Buddhism for 6 months. The only comparison to my engineering degree was the '2nd law of thermodynamics' was mentioned often. I then got instruction from Tibetan Buddhist monks in Dharamsala, including HH the Dalai Lama. I started going to temples in Thailand about 13 years ago - a few weeks at a time. I need my battereis charged right now but have too much going on with family/work etc.

How about marital arts education, does that count? Senior brown belt in Zuan Shu Kwan(Chinese Boxing) This can be both very useful and very dangerous for me.

I don't respect anyone just because they have a PhD or BA. Anyone can get a degree if they put their mind to it. I did as an active alcoholic. I was pissed as a fart before my final exams and stoned on temazepam during them. In fact I was drunk EVERY day and night for my whole final year.

As for learning about spiritual matters - this is something that I'll be trying for the rest of my life.

:o:D:D:D

:D:D:D

:D:D:D:D

:D:D:D

:D

Sorry, but now I have to apologize to "the gent."

I just find it hard to believe that he has figured out that I had a distributorship with NSA.

NSA is one of the world's leading distributors of in-home air and water filters. Improve the water that you drink and the air that you breathe with NSA's filters.

I actually got out of the business when they also started pushing air filters.

Below is a website for anyone that has a product or is interested.

http://www.nsafilters.com/

:o

<snip>

Sorry, but now I have to apologize to "the gent."

I just find it hard to believe that he has figured out that I had a distributorship with NSA.

NSA is one of the world's leading distributors of in-home air and water filters. Improve the water that you drink and the air that you breathe with NSA's filters.

I actually got out of the business when they also started pushing air filters.

Below is a website for anyone that has a product or is interested.

http://www.nsafilters.com/

:o

You were an NSA distributor? They tried to get me into that system many years ago in Germany. Would have required buying various filters worth about a thousand Deutschmark to start with...Actually, I borrowed an airfilter from those guys, brought it with me to a party and remember we blew cigar smoke into it. It came out of the other side in about the same amount as it went in. Maybe not a fair test for the device, but in our eyes it completely failed.... :D

:D Executive Aviator and Project Director ( Aerospace - Defense - Heavy Industry) with 4 degrees ( BA, BBA, MBA, Doctorate of Aviation Business Admin). Learned to fly before attending Ground School and worked years before any of my degrees were completed. Hands-on ( her bottom ) :o experience is the best way to go! :D

I have now begun to work in the factory, operating several machines...I can listen, with my MP3 player (a wonderful invention) to all a Beethoven’s string quartets, one after another, uninterrupted...
That's the problem with you doctors: Able to play a couple of instruments, knowing every note but acting like a peasant listening to Beethoven while working.

Sorry, but stupid me have to sit down overwhelmed when it comes to the (especially the late) string quartets :o. Can't even listen to them in Thailand...

Patex

Not wishing to discuss this too much - at the risk of being disrespectful: I am fully aware of the "finishing school" aspect of some of these gentlemen and the often unfortunate consequences of those not suited for this life.

I am, of course, in my original posting (quoted above) referring to those who spend their lives being Buddhist monks.

Actually TM, there are places of higher learning for monks as well and most of the higher level ones have gone to these institutions.

I was dropped kicked out of high school best thing that ever happened to me joined the army then the oil rigs and still making more money than most so call well ededcated people

But you should not confuse education with intelligents or commonsense

I go with you 100% Rigger with a similar c.v. expelled for not being brainwashed, miner, army and telecommunications, including working for crown agents.

I demonstrated i could do the job required better than 80 odd others most of which had masters qualifications ect.

I felt sick/unimpressed, listening to them telling anyone who would listen how good they where supposed to be.

The expelled bit is not a boast just a basic fact relevant to my schooling and what followed.

The most important education starts after you finish studying.

It,s called the education of life and no amount of tickets get you this.

If you do not have common sense to go with your intelligence you,ve got nothing.

Cassandra seems to be a good example of this when he goes on about education, spelling and petty things that are totally irrelevant when posters are offering their views, always nit picking.

Sorry but most of your posts back this up.

Understanding and getting your point across is all that is required.

I,m smiling as i type this as i,m tempted to purposely make hugh spelling/grammar errors.

In my experience the educated ones at masters degree level ect are like headless chickens when it comes to sorting out a problem in a practical manner.

They need a diagram to thread a nut and bolt together, ( all us non educated ones have seen it. )

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Well said TM. Took the words out my mouth. Spiritual education is by far the most important thing, for me anyway.

Sad how some equate education to degrees, jobs, money then happiness.

I went to university just because it was expected. I got the best paying job as it seemed the best thing to do. I was miserable, it was all &lt;deleted&gt; - jealous of the guy next door as his porche was newer than mine, hooked on drugs/booze etc

I had my "moment of clarity" a few years back and went to India to study a kind of meditation/Hindu philosophy/Buddhism for 6 months. The only comparison to my engineering degree was the '2nd law of thermodynamics' was mentioned often. I then got instruction from Tibetan Buddhist monks in Dharamsala, including HH the Dalai Lama. I started going to temples in Thailand about 13 years ago - a few weeks at a time. I need my battereis charged right now but have too much going on with family/work etc.

How about marital arts education, does that count? Senior brown belt in Zuan Shu Kwan(Chinese Boxing) This can be both very useful and very dangerous for me.

I don't respect anyone just because they have a PhD or BA. Anyone can get a degree if they put their mind to it. I did as an active alcoholic. I was pissed as a fart before my final exams and stoned on temazepam during them. In fact I was drunk EVERY day and night for my whole final year.

As for learning about spiritual matters - this is something that I'll be trying for the rest of my life.

Lovely, Neeranam. :o Nice to see that someone has finally giving recognition to a most worthy 'educational' pursuit.

I agree that spiritual education may be some of the best education one can receive. And yet since it's not taught in any university in the world there are no degrees to be handed out (not that I would want one anyway). It is accorded little value and yet for those who pursue it there is wealth of knowledge to which very little can compare.

As someone once observed, "There is no worthier pursuit than to understand who you are." And even more profound, yet absolutely true, "You can never truly understand the world until you first understand who you are."

I've never encountered a single topic (and I have many interests) which provides more food for thought or is more challenging both intellectually and emotionally (well, perhaps, possibly, conceivably, my dam computer! :D ). I've never known another subject which produces the degree of exhilaration that comes from being able to glimpse the pure magic of this world, myself and my fellows, and every other type of existence to be found here. To see, however slightly, beyond the veils of this magnificent illusion. If only a handful of concepts, just a handful, were accepted by the world en masse the beneficial changes these would produce would be staggering beyond the wildest of anyone's imagination.

Whether people continue on to 'higher' education via universities, colleges, trade or vocational schools or whether they drop out at the compulsary level and simply immerse themselves into life these are all individual choices made expressly for one reason: to find expression of themselves and then manifest those desired aspects of themselves into this wonderfully rich and mesmerizing sensual experience called physical life. Life teaches like no other.

There's one drawback to traveling on this road of knowledge - there are few who would be willing or interested in hearing of what you have learned or seen . . . nor would they believe you.

Understanding the teachings of the Lord Buddha or any other religious works: following their teachings to the letter is not much use if you know nothing of stress engineering and you want to design aircraft.

I love the title to this thread: What is 'ur' education! :o

I don't get out much and have limited Thai vocabulary skills but it reminds me of 'eer' เออ = 'yes' between friends pronounced like 'ur'! :D

Sorry for going 'off-topic' :D

I love the title to this thread: What is 'ur' education! :D

I don't get out much and have limited Thai vocabulary skills but it reminds me of 'eer' เออ = 'yes' between friends pronounced like 'ur'! :D

At least it wasnt a political off topic :o:D Sorry off topic :D

Gimme a break! :D

Gimme a break! :burp:

:D You dont deserve a bloody break :D So what ARE your political views on the current American education system. :D

At least it wasnt a political off topic Sorry off topic :D

Gimme a break! :D

:D You dont deserve a bloody break :D So what ARE your political views on the current American education system.

My education don't allow me to make an informed response.

Politics, we'll keep in Bedlam? :o

Understanding the teachings of the Lord Buddha or any other religious works: following their teachings to the letter is not much use if you know nothing of stress engineering and you want to design aircraft.

And the point is?

In my experience the educated ones at masters degree level ect are like headless chickens when it comes to sorting out a problem in a practical manner.

They need a diagram to thread a nut and bolt together, ( all us non educated ones have seen it. )

marshbags :D:D:D

So from the top of your head what's the tightening sequence with a torquewrench for a 36"x300lb flange assuming all bolts are numbered clockwise starting from #1? :o

marshbags :D:D:D

So from the top of your head what's the tightening sequence with a torquewrench for a 36"x300lb flange assuming all bolts are numbered clockwise starting from #1? :o

Is that the disconbooberating sequence, or the the "I am a pretentious silly bugger trying to score points over some one less fortunate than myself" sequence?

Either way, marshbags seems to have benefited more from his education than you have.