Rat Infestation......where Can I Borrow Some Snakes?

theblether

I've decided that there are far too many rats hanging around the moat ( long tail variety, I'll deal with the tuk tuk drivers and Loi Kroh regulars later ), and the solution is for me to borrow some snakes and sneakily position them at various rat hotspots.

Just in case the Thais get upset at my cunning plan, I've made little collars for the snakes saying " Property of Beetlejuice". My thinking is that his son is a policeman so Beetlejuice will have the connections to avoid any unfortunate retribution. If that doesn't work out well then that will be a shame, but as long as I don't get the blame I'm not caring.

So......where can I borrow some snakes? mellow.png

Snakes only eat one or two a week,. If there's no rat bait available, use some rat glue.

Be warned that dead and dying rats don't help neighbourly relations a lot, as they crawl into some remote corners for their last moments. Probably why rat glue is used. Disadvantages include having to drown them, after a night of squealing.

I have to say I never saw two rats as big as the two I saw scurry across the kitchen floor

of my favorite Jok place near the Moat a couple of nights ago.

Yes you probably know the place smile.png

I am not kidding I thought they were the owners chihuahuas till I realized what they were.

Of course I will continue to eat there as it is the best jok

smile.png

Edited by mania

I have to say I never saw two rats as big as the two I saw scurry across the kitchen floor

of my favorite Jok place near the Moat a couple of nights ago.

Yes you probably know the place smile.png

I am not kidding I thought they were the owners chihuahuas till I realized what they were.

Of course I will continue to eat there as it is the best jok

smile.png

The biggest rats anywhere can be found in the alleys behind the restaurants in Beverly Hills, California eating out of the dumpsters. No joke.

Major turn of events there, thebleter. Only last night you agreed the best thing for snakes was:

If cooked in olive oil with garlic and spices, very good eating. huh.png

I hope this exercise doesn't come back to, ahem, bite you on the bum. cool.png

Could this be a Scottish plot to corral some free diners?

• Like 1

Major turn of events there, thebleter. Only last night you agreed the best thing for snakes was:

If cooked in olive oil with garlic and spices, very good eating. huh.png

I hope this exercise doesn't come back to, ahem, bite you on the bum. cool.png

Nah.... this is our boy thinking ahead. He'll want some meat on his snakes, surely?

• Like 1

I'm planning a trip down south to Krabi where I hear they have some large King cobras. I'll see if I can import a few back in my carry-on luggage. I can then release them in the moat to take care of the rats around the area.

I'm planning a trip down south to Krabi where I hear they have some large King cobras. I'll see if I can import a few back in my carry-on luggage. I can then release them in the moat to take care of the rats around the area.

NOPE AINT GONNA HAPPEN smile.png

King Cobras only eat other Snakes

DiamondKing, on 25 Feb 2013 - 09:01, said:

rene123, on 25 Feb 2013 - 08:53, said:

NOPE AINT GONNA HAPPEN smile.png

King Cobras only eat other Snakes

I know that. I was just thinking of the riot at the airport if someone tried it. Rats are pretty adaptable critters and the only solution is to get rid of what they eat. Thais are not very good at getting rid of rubbish and excess food. The area around my hotel is infested with them. Eventually, you get used to them.

So are you here full time now blether?

I'm basically Fly in, fly out now......I'm currently In Scotland setting up a new company and premises, I'll be back in CM on 30 March, and I'll be there till 2 July, I need to return to Scotland for holiday cover for a month then I'll be back, month on, month off.

The Moat seems to be more infested with rats than ever, I was walking home the other week and it was like a horror movie, the ground was alive with them. The answer most likely is to bring in a few terriers, they would have great fun doing in the rats.

I'm not squeamish but there does come a point when they present a threat to human health........have a look at this story.........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1323594/Rat-disease-kills-Andy-Holmes-Rower-dead-days-water-borne-illness.html

We're only a few weeks away from Songkran and we know what water tends to be used around the Moat area. Not good. sad.png

Extract from the article........

article-1323594-0BC45F65000005DC-271_468

Edited by theblether

I had a word with my lad regarding the problem and he said; that so many snakes have been murdered by Thai visa members over the years, (has the pictures from various posts to prove it) that they are now extinct in Thailand. So when the snakes away, the rats will play.

He suggests that throwing a few tons of rat poison in the moat will solve the problem. This may lead to the deaths of some children and Australian back packers that enjoy swimming in there, but keeping with Thai tradition, we will worry about that when it happens. Lets get over one problem at a time, he said.

BTW, James Cagney never did say; You Dirty Rat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtOMHH_v0Qg

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

I'm not squeamish but there does come a point when they present a threat to human health........have a look at this story.........

We're only a few weeks away from Songkran and we know what water tends to be used around the Moat area. Not good. sad.png

I knew a guy whose wife died of that except we call it Leptospirosis in the US

She was only in her mid 30's but was misdiagnosed as having the flu

Also knew another lady who got it & survived as she was not misdiagnosed

The woman who died got it working in her garden. Had cuts on her hand & a puddle was

infected with Rat urine which got into the cuts.

The lady who lived was also working outside carrying a stalk of bananas she had a cut on her forearm

& got infected thru that.

Edited by mania

An important snippet of advice I received many many years ago; never drink directly from beer bottles, soft drink bottles and the like.

Always wipe the neck or use a straw.

crates of bottles in a back yard for days before going onto the shelves has rats running and pissing over them, increasing the chances of getting Weils disease.

As habit now I always give every piece of cutlery a wipe over with the tissues in restaurants in case anything else has been dragging its arse over them......

........but i reckon most of you take yours from a cellophane sleeve.

i had lepto, took more than 6 weeks to recover, then weak for a few months after. The obvious,( though not yet stated by the TV know- it- alls) solution is to stop the food supply, they feast nightly on all the trash left on the street. If CM invested in some rat-proof trash cans, the population would crash.

Edited by daoyai

I knew a guy whose wife died of that except we call it Leptospirosis in the US

She was only in her mid 30's but was misdiagnosed as having the flu

Also knew another lady who got it & survived as she was not misdiagnosed

The woman who died got it working in her garden. Had cuts on her hand & a puddle was

infected with Rat urine which got into the cuts.

The lady who lived was also working outside carrying a stalk of bananas she had a cut on her forearm

& got infected thru that.

Just goes to show how serious an issue it really is.......

@beetlejuice, excellent biggrin.png

@eyecatcher, very good advice re the bottles. wai.gif

Think anyone would get offended if i went down there with my slingshot?

Do rats really get attracted to cheese like in the cartoons? LOL

You know its funny but in the US what they call varmint hunting is a sport & a service

Many Ranchers/Farmers pay varmint hunters Some Varmint Hunters do it for free I guess too.

to park a truck on a hill.

& take the heads off of gophers when they pop their heads up out of their holes.

They use what they call varmint rifles. Heavy barrel small caliber scoped rifles.

I did not live in such areas but for ranchers I guess the gophers cause their horses & cattle to break their legs when their holes collapse

Also for the farmers they of course loose vegetable crops I guess like the old bugs bunny cartoons where the carrots disappear downwards laugh.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 1