Taxi To Airport, Cheaper Than 800 Baht?

flip

Hello!

I know, there have been few posts before but I'm still looking for a reasonable taxi from Rawai to the airport.

All the guys I was calling/phoning asking 800 Baht and more and I think, for a 45km trip this is just ridiculus! (and most of the "taxis" driving on LPG, so very cheap talking about gas/gasoline costs!)

Going to the airport at least 3times per month, so really looking for an affordable option.

Maybe you have some "friends" or know about some people, who are willing to drive to the airport for lets say 600 Baht?

Any infos/tips/recommendations are highly appreciated!

Thnks a lot

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fuel prices up??taxis and most of the "private" taxis/limousines using all LPG..! which is about 14 Baht per liter or even cheaper...! and there was not really a price increase if talking about LPG! so nothing to do with fuel prices really..

I think we should start our own forum taxi service.

Easy to do:

1. A list of members with cars, SUVs or pickups.

2. The members' location and availability.

3. No real names or registration numbers published.

4. TV would start a forum for requests, offers, recommendations, thanks, etc.

5. We can decide on our own price list from the various locations (e.g. at about 1/2 the Mafia fare)

6. Free sticker for the windscreen, such as: attachicon.giftaxi4.JPG (Optional)

This could be our own, completely anonymous, "Farang taxi club".

Waddya think?

attachicon.gifyes nod.gif or attachicon.gifno.gif

I wouldn't mind driving people to the airport, provided the time suits me. 600 Baht from Rawai.

i need to be at the airport tomorrow at 1pm. so looking for a ride from rawai at about 12. so, if anyone driving direction airport tomorrow, please let me know. (maybe even stevenl has time tomorrow?)

would be happy, to pay 600 Baht for the ride, no problem at all!

thnks a lot

Let's consider the economics of this taxi service. I always think that the distance to airport and back is roughly 100 klicks (just checked distance using Google earth - Rawaii to airport is 48 klicks) and it's at best 2 hours of stressful driving, wear and tear on your vehicle. How many of us use LPG ? So for me it works out at 4 baht/km on diesel and 5 baht/km on benzine. So, 400 baht (at best) for fuel cost and 200 baht 'profit' for time and wear & tear .... mmm think I'll give that a miss.

On the other hand, we always transport friends to/from the airport for free.

• Like 2

http://www.phuket-taxi-meter.com

i asked them before already... and they said, they are based at airport, so better to find a local taxidriver in rawai..

and they also said the "5/600 Baht" times are over...

Odd. They picked me up in September for 500 baht from my house and they took me from the airport to my house in December for 600 Baht. The driver gave me his card and said he could pick me up.

I think we should start our own forum taxi service.

Easy to do:

1. A list of members with cars, SUVs or pickups.

2. The members' location and availability.

3. No real names or registration numbers published.

4. TV would start a forum for requests, offers, recommendations, thanks, etc.

5. We can decide on our own price list from the various locations (e.g. at about 1/2 the Mafia fare)

6. Free sticker for the windscreen, such as: attachicon.giftaxi4.JPG (Optional)

This could be our own, completely anonymous, "Farang taxi club".

Waddya think?

attachicon.gifyes nod.gif or attachicon.gifno.gif

I wouldn't mind driving people to the airport, provided the time suits me. 600 Baht from Rawai.
So your work permit covers taxi driving? The dive indusrty must be slowing down a bit

So your work permit covers taxi driving? The dive indusrty must be slowing down a bit

biggrin.png

I would say - to anyone who asked - that I was driving a friend to the airport. Anything wrong in that, officer? :)

:D

I would say - to anyone who asked - that I was driving a friend to the airport. Anything wrong in that, officer? :)

I couldn't care less. But I find it amusing because most people in the dive industry are very preachy when it comes to rules. I refer to them as PADI police. But if farangs in Phuket want to advertise themselves as taxi drivers in Phuket I will sit back and smirk and watch the results. And correct me if Im wrong here but isn't self promotion against Thaivisa forum rules? I mean whats good for the goose is good for the gander right?
  • Like 1

Let's consider the economics of this taxi service. I always think that the distance to airport and back is roughly 100 klicks (just checked distance using Google earth - Rawaii to airport is 48 klicks) and it's at best 2 hours of stressful driving, wear and tear on your vehicle. How many of us use LPG ? So for me it works out at 4 baht/km on diesel and 5 baht/km on benzine. So, 400 baht (at best) for fuel cost and 200 baht 'profit' for time and wear & tear .... mmm think I'll give that a miss. On the other hand, we always transport friends to/from the airport for free.

What about a system where expats and/or guest house owners that have to go to the airport anyway, can advertise on TV that they are going to the airport to do a pick-up, or a drop-off, at a particular time and date. Eg. "I have to pick up my friend who is arriving at 2pm. I will be leaving Patong/Kata/Karon/Rawai at 12:45pm. I have room for 3 passengers. 500 baht."

Anyother example, "I have to take a guest to the airport at 1pm on the 28th from Rawai. I have room for 2 more passengers with average size luggage. 500 baht."

In effect, organising a car pool. The farang driver has to go to the airport and return anyway, so, he may as well have his fuel and time paid for by charging a moderate fee.

Just an idea.

I dont like the prices of Taxis in Phuket but really we are talking about 100 baht difference. Its one less tom yum goong and a can of chang. Even if I had to go up to the airport 5 timez a week I think I could manage. If not I think it would be time to go back to the motherland

Let's be very clear - members CANNOT advertise on the open forum.

Stevenl is offering his services. Isn't that advertising to a degree?
It seems this rule is not so clear. It looks open to interpretation. Farang Taxis Phuket is allowed. Edited by IrishIvan

Let's consider the economics of this taxi service. I always think that the distance to airport and back is roughly 100 klicks (just checked distance using Google earth - Rawaii to airport is 48 klicks) and it's at best 2 hours of stressful driving, wear and tear on your vehicle. How many of us use LPG ? So for me it works out at 4 baht/km on diesel and 5 baht/km on benzine. So, 400 baht (at best) for fuel cost and 200 baht 'profit' for time and wear & tear .... mmm think I'll give that a miss. On the other hand, we always transport friends to/from the airport for free.

What about a system where expats and/or guest house owners that have to go to the airport anyway, can advertise on TV that they are going to the airport to do a pick-up, or a drop-off, at a particular time and date. Eg. "I have to pick up my friend who is arriving at 2pm. I will be leaving Patong/Kata/Karon/Rawai at 12:45pm. I have room for 3 passengers. 500 baht."

Anyother example, "I have to take a guest to the airport at 1pm on the 28th from Rawai. I have room for 2 more passengers with average size luggage. 500 baht."

In effect, organising a car pool. The farang driver has to go to the airport and return anyway, so, he may as well have his fuel and time paid for by charging a moderate fee.

Just an idea.

I dont like the prices of Taxis in Phuket but really we are talking about 100 baht difference. Its one less tom yum goong and a can of chang. Even if I had to go up to the airport 5 timez a week I think I could manage. If not I think it would be time to go back to the motherland

There might only a small difference now, but since they have "legalised" all the black taxis, you watch the price skyrocket as they all get a thinner wedge of the pie. We've already seen a few price rises in the last 6 months. Of course, most can still afford it, but on principle, why give most of the fare to the mafia?

Also, you can't rely on many of the Thai drivers. They simple don't turn up. An expat may be more reliable. Just nominate a bar, cafe or restaurant to meet at and all sorted.

Edited by NamKangMan