Prison Stories

Star Dust

"In Thailand deportation doesn’t mean that you get deported because you have broken the law, or are not welcome. Not at all… It’s because of expired Visas, or work permits, or because of no

documentation at all."

"...expired Visas, or work permits, or because of no documentation at all."

You don't consider those things breaking the law?

Can you tell us why you were in jail?

Terry

No Terry, I don't consider those things breaking the law. But the immigration police does. In IDC were tourists detained under conditions you possibly can't imagine for overstaying their Visas for just a day or two. The Deportation Process in Thailand is like that. Yeah, if you overstay and go pay for that, then that's fine, but if you get arrested on an overstay, they will send you to IDC.

In my case I did time because I caused a traffic accident under the influence where a Thai guy broke his pinky. I offered enough money to compensate, but apparently that wasn't enough, so at the end I just refused to pay. I deserved doing time, don't get me wrong. After nine times attending court I was sentenced to freedom because the court got tired of me, an by that time I've stayed already longer in prison, then my sentence would have been. I walked out the front gate of the Kho Samui Deprtment of Corrections and was greeted by the immigration police and a pair of hancuffs. My Visa ran out while I was in prison. That's why I got deported.

if you dont considere them a crime, go and do it again then.

But you will not will you, thats because the system worked, thats why your on here writing about it, because it shook you to the core.

so in a sense your complaining about a system that worked.

you say you offered enough money to compensate, you dont screw up and get to choose the price,sheesh.

still they could of just sent you home

Several years ago Stickman reported being caught up in a drag net and with a recently expired

visa.

His description of his experience was chilling and he warned readers to take visa validity seriously.

It was not stickman but Philip Williams, owner of ajarn.com, who related his horror story of having been caught in an immigration swoop on a ONE day overstay and with an air ticket for Singapore in his possession for that same day. Reading the account of his five day sojourn in the IDC sent a shiver down my spine, as did the story of the unfortunate Belgian guy posted by the OP above. Despite the sanctimonious admonishments of the Thai apologists on this thread, both incidents clearly demonstrate how vulnerable we are, and just how easy it can be to run afoul of capricious Thai officialdom.

In my own case, I once inadvertently overstayed my Thai visa by a couple of days, due to a blurring on the entry stamp, which made a 6 look like an 8. Even the immigration officials at the border (several of them were called to scrutinize it) on departure admitted that the figure looked like an 8 - though they still made me pay the overstay fine of course. I was sweating cobs for a couple of hours or so afterwards at the thought of what could have happened if I had been caught at some checkpoint on the way to the border. This incident was a contributory factor in my decision to leave Thailand. I can put up with mayhem and disorder, but not when it affects my personal liberty and threatens time in some of the nastiest jails in the region

And to all those who say that the IDC is not as bad as a regular Thai jail, I suggest you read what Amnesty International has to say about conditions there.

Edited by Rumpole
  • Like 2

@rumpole.

And to all those who say that the IDC is not as bad as a regular Thai jail, I suggest you read what Amnesty International has to say about conditions there.

I don't have to read the Amnesty International report on IDC.

I have been there and it is nowhere as bad as it is described on this thread.

I think it maybe called "poetic licence" which is the kindest way to put it.

Edited by KarenBravo

• 2 weeks later...

Bit off topic, but immigration Chanegwattana's official advice to me, when I turned up a week before my extention expired, but lacking one of the required documents to process my work permit, was "go on overstay for a week". The logic being that if I got an extention, I would lose the required Non-Imm B Visa status. And then, I would need to get a new Non-Imm B to be eligible to apply for the work permit extention.

Her advice when asked what to do if I get arrested, was "stay at home".

• Like 1

Bit off topic, but immigration Chanegwattana's official advice to me, when I turned up a week before my extention expired, but lacking one of the required documents to process my work permit, was "go on overstay for a week". The logic being that if I got an extention, I would lose the required Non-Imm B Visa status. And then, I would need to get a new Non-Imm B to be eligible to apply for the work permit extention.

Her advice when asked what to do if I get arrested, was "stay at home".

LOL

@rumpole.

I don't have to read the Amnesty International report on IDC.

I have been there and it is nowhere as bad as it is described on this thread.

I think it maybe called "poetic licence" which is the kindest way to put it.

Yup.......there's a failure to understand that organizations such as Amnesty International set out to exaggerate. It's in their best interests to do so as it gets them maximum publicity.

It's one of the tragedies of human nature that well intentioned ideas end up being corrupted by people manipulating for their own ends.

• Like 1

Please excuse my ignorance but anyone kindly point me in the direction of any Amnesty International report in the last few years about the IDC in Bangkok whistling.gif

Link?

Please excuse my ignorance but anyone kindly point me in the direction of any Amnesty International report in the last few years about the IDC in Bangkok whistling.gif

Link?

Here's one from the UNHCR

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/news/refugees-held-thailand-must-freed-20081117

Here's one from Amnesty talking about Nong Khai

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/news/refugees-held-thailand-must-freed-20081117

• 6 months later...

A prisoner (especially foreign) speaking in Thai to a judge is an insult to court. That I learned on my first day in court.

I think you mean a foreign prisoner speaking pidgin Thai to a judge is an insult. When I've spoken in Thai to a Judge he told me that he was very impressed.

If you were a prisoner, I mean the kind with leg irons on, then I'm impresed.

I thought that the only prisoners they placed in leg irons in Thai prisons are those accused of murder?

It was not stickman but Philip Williams, owner of ajarn.com, who related his horror story of having been caught in an immigration swoop on a ONE day overstay and with an air ticket for Singapore in his possession for that same day. Reading the account of his five day sojourn in the IDC sent a shiver down my spine, as did the story of the unfortunate Belgian guy posted by the OP above. Despite the sanctimonious admonishments of the Thai apologists on this thread, both incidents clearly demonstrate how vulnerable we are, and just how easy it can be to run afoul of capricious Thai officialdom.

In my own case, I once inadvertently overstayed my Thai visa by a couple of days, due to a blurring on the entry stamp, which made a 6 look like an 8. Even the immigration officials at the border (several of them were called to scrutinize it) on departure admitted that the figure looked like an 8 - though they still made me pay the overstay fine of course. I was sweating cobs for a couple of hours or so afterwards at the thought of what could have happened if I had been caught at some checkpoint on the way to the border. This incident was a contributory factor in my decision to leave Thailand. I can put up with mayhem and disorder, but not when it affects my personal liberty and threatens time in some of the nastiest jails in the region

If I remember correctly, he was living in a 'dodgy' apartment on Petchaburi Road and it was because of the weekend that he couldn't get to the immigration. The moral of the story is if you are basically a tourist, make sure your visa is done in plenty of time. The longer you live here, the more you'll understand the way the system works and the importance of a 'poo yai' to help you in situations like this. The 'get out of jail' card is a MUST for any long term dweller. In a corrupt country, you must adapt and join them. If you can't do this then leaving may have been your best option.
  • Like 2

Hi, all, again.

I've got a silly question.

I'm leaving on the 23rd of April from Suvanabhumi airport. I don't know the airport well, other than I was deported from there almost exactly a year ago.

My worry yet again, is that my flight departs at 1.10 a.m. on the 23rd. My Visa expires on the 22nd. So actually I'm technically overstaying for 1 hour and 10 minutes. My e-ticket suggests that I should check in 3 hours prior to my departure, so yet again technically speaking I would check in on the 22nd at 10 p.m, still with a valid Visa, and pass immigration yet again before midnight on the 22nd, and after passing immigration, wait at my designated Gate for my flight at 1.10 a.m., and off I'd be.

Now could the immigration on the airport make me extend my visa, or give me any trouble? OR would they charge me for a day of overstay, because of 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and could anyone give me advice on that matter.

Still trusting in the good in humanity I'd say that it's probably no problem, but I do have to calculate the fact of the "Thai Mental Box"

I'm all ears guys'n girls. Hang'em high brigades are welcome, too.

Star Dust

Edited by paddyjenkins

• 3 weeks later...

A prisoner (especially foreign) speaking in Thai to a judge is an insult to court. That I learned on my first day in court.

I think you mean a foreign prisoner speaking pidgin Thai to a judge is an insult. When I've spoken in Thai to a Judge he told me that he was very impressed.

If you were a prisoner, I mean the kind with leg irons on, then I'm impresed.

I thought that the only prisoners they placed in leg irons in Thai prisons are those accused of murder?

Everyone puts them on when going to court. Some ppl have them on inside based on their crime, while others just have them on for a set period due to fighting.

What exactly is the OP's problem.?

Didn't read all the posts but fairly sure he's from the states

Clearly your the one with the problem. And im fairly sure you are either French or English. Both equally obnoxious

+ 1

my "like" is run out for today.

(how much idiot thing is this "like / day" limit?

may be we have to insert coins for more "like" possibility ???

I have been to Rannong many times, I have seen the place that Burmese come across the boarder to Thailand, I have been on a boat myself. I have seen at first hand experience the way they are treated as animals. My wife's, mother works in a Hospital in Sahmut Sahkon , who treat poor Burmese people I freely give a couple of weeks to work there doing odd jobs, I have never had any problems form police about working there as they know i do it for free. And One of my friends works for the Thai government with the Priministers office. I also have first hand experience of the Thai police, as the wife use to work for them, and many of her friends. A lot that has been said by the poster i can confirm is true. Life is cheap in prison. Not just for Falang and Burmese, also for Thai people.

If I remember correctly, he was living in a 'dodgy' apartment on Petchaburi Road and it was because of the weekend that he couldn't get to the immigration. The moral of the story is if you are basically a tourist, make sure your visa is done in plenty of time. The longer you live here, the more you'll understand the way the system works and the importance of a 'poo yai' to help you in situations like this. The 'get out of jail' card is a MUST for any long term dweller. In a corrupt country, you must adapt and join them. If you can't do this then leaving may have been your best option.

The Williams article is long gone, but I read it several times over the years, and I am certain that he was actually flying out to Singapore on a visa run on the morning of the immigration sweep, and he actually showed the officers the air ticket. And yes, he was living in a dodgy apartment building near the Malaysia Hotel. Immigration were apparently knocking on all the doors in the building checking passports and visas.

Edited by Rumpole

Yippie finally a great and use full read on this thaivisa site. Very interesting and as many have stated a stand out amongst so many stories like "my girlfriend wants to leave should I pay her" still better "is the word farang offensive"

Please keep more coming and maybe other members may also share any experience. Also ignore all the so rightious hang em high <deleted>.

Today we see in news a NZ lad pissed the other night stole phone from taxi driver then arrested. You have to shake your head at the <deleted> saying just throw him in a cell ,has it coming. Ta for your post OP. Keep em coming

• Like 1

Do they allow prisoners to work out at any of the locations you know of?

How much would you have had to pay to get free?

Who set the price to pay the judge, or was it decided between lawyers, or the victim?

Could you pay at any time, or once the offer was refused in court that was it and you had to do your time?

Edited by donniereadit

Love your posts. Such interesting read. Currently there is a forum related to the 18 year old that recently after night on piss was accused of stealing bike taxi phone etc. Was banged up with signed confession . Now in lock up. Point is so many posts from members saying to lock him up throw away the key.....give the lowlife 3 years...etc etc. Wish they would read your posts. Yes like you he did something wrong and yes I know this is Thailand....but <deleted> can we all have bit more understanding for people stuffing up and not calling to have their balls cut off. By way is there a way to donate food or something to the people in this centre

• Like 1

Given the methods of arrest and prosecution here, and the Crime Scene Forensics situation, makes me think how Thailand might compare with this.

BBC (Today)

Full Link

http://www.timescolonist.com/cmlink/gmg-glacier-media-group/canadian-press/news/world/us-has-record-number-of-exonerations-in-2013-after-push-to-find-wrongful-convictions-1.812916

Snippet

ST. LOUIS - A push by prosecutors and police across the United States to re-examine possible wrongful convictions contributed to a record number of exonerations in 2013, according to a report released Tuesday.

The National Registry of Exonerations says 87 people falsely convicted of crimes were exonerated last year, four more than in 2009, the year with the next highest total. The joint effort by the Northwestern University and University of Michigan law schools has documented more than 1,300 such cases in the U.S. since 1989 while also identifying another 1,100 "group exonerations" involving widespread police misconduct, primarily related to planted drug and gun evidence.

The new report shows that nearly 40 per cent of exonerations recorded in 2013 were either initiated by law enforcement or included police and prosecutors' co-operation. One year earlier, nearly half of the exonerations involved such reviews.

• 2 months later...

All this now seems so real. I am on overstay 3 years or so.

I do not have the money for fine. So jail wait the sentence out.then borrow ticket from us embassy. I just do not think I can now do it but really have anywhere now to go or stay.

It all seems hopeless

I am just talkinv real or crazy or both.