Prison Stories

Star Dust

Stardust, just finished reading your story, I must admit I jumped to the end due to time constraints at the moment but will go back to it.

I just wanted to say a big thank you for sharing your experiences, it make sa change from some of the whinging diatribes that sometimes appears.

Good luck to you and I hope it all works out for you and your family.

• Like 1

In my experience: They typically do not charge for one day overstay. I.e. overstay fines typically begin at 24 hours and 1 second. Given your history, I wouldn't want to risk it, but an hours overstay and 500 baht already in hand + a smile would likely ensure no hassle and probably no fine.

Edited by OxfordWill

Stardust, did everything go ok?

My wife's been telling me about some law changes just recently, about blacklists for ppl even just for overstays. Anyone heard anything about this? I'm planning to apply for my visa next month and go back around September.

Surely any changes to the law wouldn't affect offences committed before that came into play.

Hi fauxie.

Yeah I'm ok.

Back in Vienna, Austria since 2 days. I'll return in 8 month.

No, I haven't heard of any changes prior to my departure. And if there are any they would certainly affect you. Apply for your Visa like you planned, and you'll be fine.

Greetings from a sunny Vienna.

Star Dust

I'm glad things are fine for you. For me they look a little less positive right now. Been starting to get things together for applying for a non-imm O multi visa, so called Birmingham and Hull consulates to ask about what I need and whether my deportation for overstay would be an issue. They both said they can issue the visa. Birmingham said if there's nothing more than just about overstay in my exit stamp I should be ok. When I told them my overstay was over a year they were a bit less positive. They said immigration can decide not to let me in, it's just up to them. I called Hull and the lady I spoke said she thought I wouldn't get in, but that I should check with London to see if I'm blacklisted. I'm IMing with my wife right now and this stuff is killing us. I'm shaking as I type this. Today could be one of the worst of my life. I've got to call London, but I'm scared. This feels worse than being in prison. I'd do another 6 months right now if I knew at the end of it I could be with my wife in Thailand. I know we've brought this on ourselves, but this is tough. Wish me luck! Going to call the consulate in London now.

My wife's been telling me about some law changes just recently, about blacklists for ppl even just for overstays. Anyone heard anything about this? I'm planning to apply for my visa next month and go back around September.

Surely any changes to the law wouldn't affect offences committed before that came into play.

Hi fauxie.

Yeah I'm ok.

No, I haven't heard of any changes prior to my departure. And if there are any they would certainly affect you. Apply for your Visa like you planned, and you'll be fine.

Star Dust

I'm glad things are fine for you. For me they look a little less positive right now. Been starting to get things together for applying for a non-imm O multi visa, so called Birmingham and Hull consulates to ask about what I need and whether my deportation for overstay would be an issue. They both said they can issue the visa. Birmingham said if there's nothing more than just about overstay in my exit stamp I should be ok. When I told them my overstay was over a year they were a bit less positive. They said immigration can decide not to let me in, it's just up to them. I called Hull and the lady I spoke said she thought I wouldn't get in, but that I should check with London to see if I'm blacklisted. I'm IMing with my wife right now and this stuff is killing us. I'm shaking as I type this. Today could be one of the worst of my life. I've got to call London, but I'm scared. This feels worse than being in prison. I'd do another 6 months right now if I knew at the end of it I could be with my wife in Thailand. I know we've brought this on ourselves, but this is tough. Wish me luck! Going to call the consulate in London now.

I wish you luck, man. I know the feeling. Am since a week in Vienna, and the feeling is sick.gif .

I still don't get it. Why haven't I had any troubles re-entering? Keep me posted.

GOOD LUCK

Hi fauxie.

Yeah I'm ok.

Star Dust

I wish you luck, man. I know the feeling. Am since a week in Vienna, and the feeling is sick.gif .

I still don't get it. Why haven't I had any troubles re-entering? Keep me posted.

GOOD LUCK

The woman at Birmingham changed her tone when I told her I'd overstayed just over 1 year. Of course, I've never overstayed in my life really, but I can't say why it happened. What it seems is that they're saying it's all up to the discretion of immigration on the day I get there. They can't really say what will happen. Surely though, since I went to IDC and was processed fully there as just an overstayer, and my stamp says nothing more than that (not about being blacklisted or anything else), if I turn up with a 1 year multi non-O in my passport they won't overrule it. I wasn't arrested and sent to IDC, after all. I arranged to go and pay the fine and leave. That's what I'm hoping will help me here. London can tell me if I'm blacklisted or not though, but I don't really want to ask specifically about that unless their general advice about my chances of getting in after this overstay is very pessimistic. The British Embassy said I wasn't blacklisted. They said I could come back without any problems, but that doesn't reassure me all that much now. This phone call (have to wait to 2pm to call the relevant department) is going to determine so much for my wife and I. It's truly frightening to contemplate. Ugh!

Anyway, it has to be faced. Thanks buddy. Have a good one. I'll let you know how it goes.

I spoke to the embassy in London and the lady said they'd seen lots of ppl even with mutliple overstays return to Thailand without any problems. She said I wouldn't have been blacklisted just for overstay. She also said ultimately it's up to the discretion of immigration at the airport though, and that in order to be more sure before I go I should contact immigration in Bangkok. Not sure I want to stir things up. I wish I could ask the woman at the Brit Emb. who handled my 'situation' last year to ask on my behalf, but I think I'd be asking too much (taking the piss, basically) . She has her job to do with new ppl in trouble over there and probably doesn't need the trouble of dealing with ppl long since sent packing.

Good signs though. I'm not as distraught as I was earlier, at least. Now let's just hope overstay is all that ever comes up when I come and go in Thailand. i don't want this to be like a timebomb.

• Like 1

Man, you are reminding me so much about myself. Just in January this
year I was in the exact same spot you're in right now. Well, I didn't
check much in advance before I returned "home". I just flew in, and got in line for Visas on arrival. I took it as it came along.

But
my emotions were the same as yours are right now. Can I get in without
trouble? Will they refuse to let me enter Thailand at the airport?
Sleepless nights, this uncertainty in my chest, like a worry far worse
than being imprisoned, endless conversations with my wife over the
phone, walking 10 km within my appartment while talking to my wife over
the phone, shaking on arrival at Suvanabum Airport. I was SO nervous. I
will never forget that day. That day was the reason why I decided to
make my story puplic. I just had to let it out. From a emotional point
of view I mean. I didn't care what people think of me. I wondered what
they would feel, or how they would feel about it.

I know how you feel, from right here, while I'm typing this.

On
that day, you will be standing on the airport in Bangkok, passed the
immigration, with your Visa in you passport, heading home; Remember:

I was there, feeling just like you, not too long ago.

I hope you'll be fine.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The thing is......after all this time.....that I do still have my occasional backflashes.....from time to time... which make me shiver down to the core of my very bone. It's like it doesn't want to go away, and that is....

what makes me strong.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to ask you a question....i have a friend that been on the run from united states and he got caught by interpol fbi and he is being held in idc....how long do you think he is goin to be there until he gets extradite back to the us? I can imagine what is goin on in that idc prison....plus my friend is white with tattoos all over please reply i would like to know thank you

• Like 1

I feel no compassion for the OP, if you commit the crime you have to do the time. Prisons were not meant to be "Country Clubs",

The law in Thailand or anywhere else if broken, one must pay the consequences and the failure to abide by immigration laws and its requirements "is" breaking the law.

One is not free to choose what laws they are willing to abide by in their home countries, as they are guest in Thailand, one must abide by the law. As these same laws also protect you in your visit to Thailand.

The conditions in the Thai facilities are not that much different than Mexican jails. A small room with a hole in the floor as your toilet, cardboard to sleep on, 2 meals a day served in a large wash tub for all to partake of with their hands in a cell that has no running water to at least wash up. With savage beatings dealt to people who did not like your looks or just to prove their dominance.

Many have voiced their displeasure how the law breakers are treated in Thailand, they failed to do their homework prior to coming to Thailand, the OP has chosen to return to Thailand, Why??? if the Thai system is so unfair!!

I have run across many falangs and their devil may care attitude while in a drunken state, that have no respect for Thai's much less Thai law. That end up having to pay the price for running afoul of the law!

When one drives in Thailand they take upon them selves the more opportunities to come into contact with the local BIB, I do not believe that the OP was jailed for his refusal to pay 750,000 baht to a Thai for a "broken" pinkie.

The unfairness of the law is at times to be exactly that reason the law is on the books, in the US the vast majority of drug user and traffickers are members of the dominate society, that uses the powdered cocaine, which by law is a very slight penalty for having small amounts on you at the time of arrest.

Crack cocaine is the drug of choice for the minority population, that one is dealt with severely for its use or procession by a mandatory sentence of at least 5-10 years of prison. Which results in a high percentage of minorities in the over 2 million US prison population.

While one can argue about the unfairness of that dual system of justice, one must consider that as a reason not to break the drug laws.

I do my best to comply with the laws in Thailand, there are many ways to do such, the overstaying of ones visa has some included safe guards, one you have a grace period for your overstay and is usually results in a fine base on the days of your overstay.

Also the required 90 day address reporting, my wife is allowed to submit my paper work and passport to immigration without my physically presenting myself in person (because of medical limitations) at no extra charge. As at times my step-daughter can submit my paper work but is charged a 100 baht fee.

One of the requirements to being allowed to stay in Thailand is showing that you have a clean record verified by securing a statement to such from your local police department.

So breaking the law in Thailand could result in deportation, I heard once of a man deported for the stealing of a towel from his Pattaya hotel, which by the way is a common practice in the old country.

Cheers:smile.png

Check in early and have 500 baht spare in your pocket, that way your safe both ways. If you don't have to pay the 500 baht go immediately to a bar and drink it!

Safe trip man, stay in touch on the forums!

Sent using the iPad App.

do not drink too much with it. If you get drunk and they do not let you on the flight the IRC awaits.

Your story is very interesting. You should find a "Ghost writer" as i am sure you have a story in you.

As someone has previously said, he was abused for saying he visited a jail. Over a period of many months i used to visit the jail on Koh Samui, taking food and items like towels and soap i could only see one prisoner, an Englishman who was pardoned and deported after 2 years, but they used to share what i took for them. And yes, some of the "hang em high brigade" told me on TV that i was a fool and was being conned and should'nt bother pampering to criminals etc. but i got great satisfaction even if helping in only a small way. That man was not allowed back into Thailand, but he planned to meet up with his Thai wife and young son in Cambodia.

• Like 1

Nice reading with one load of exaggerations, just two things (purely math by the way...):

15x4 cell with 134 inmates leaves a square per inmate of 66cm side length... that’s about the width of your shoulders... and that does not include the separate room, the water tank and the toilets the OP talks about... so basically just impossible that anybody ever lays down or walk around too much, as those 134 inmates will be squeezed together like in a cramped rock concert...

And then assuming the cell is 4m high (without window, only one door that opens from time to time...), so has minimal influx of fresh air... that gives approximately 240 cubic meter of air. Air has approx 21% oxygen and a human in a (airtight) room will breath approx 1m3 of air per 4 hours until the CO2 saturation will be too high to stay conscious... so calculating that, it would take approx 8 hours (240m3 / 134 = 2m3 = 2x4h) and all inmates would be unconscious (not taking into account that the CO2 settles towards the floor and thus, the time remaining is lower).

Not only are your calculations boring, they, like your cheese, have lots of holes in.

The overwhelming majority of the cheese does NOT have holes in it whistling.gif

Tiz a bit "rubbery" though coffee1.gif

Interesting read. I just got out of 'Phiset Thonburi' in December, having served 14 months of a 16 and a half month sentence. I was supposed to be picked up by police upon release and taken to IDC for deportation based on my offense, but come release day no-one was there. My elation was indescribable. I went home and spent 6 days with my wife. After speaking with my Embassy we decided the best course of action was to turn myself in to IDC and get deported for visa overstay (expired while I was inside), allowing me to avoid being blacklisted.

I can speak Thai well, almost fluently. It helped a LOT. There were only a handful of English-speaking prisoners out of thousands in my building. While I was there an Irishman was there briefly for 2 days (stole a jackhammer while drunk) and an Englishman for about 10 days (marijuana possession). Otherwise I was the only white westerner there during my time. I hate that I put my families (my wife was sentenced too) through such stress and worry, but it was an interesting experience that I coped well with all in all and found a lot of positives in. I'm thinking about writing about my experience further, but I'm undecided about whether I'd rather just move on or not.

p.s. here's a story. A ladyboy spent a whole week at Thonburi women's prison before turning himself/herself in and being sent to the men's prison. Amazing!

Nice one, mate. Glad you pulled through. While I was in Kho Samui Prison another English fellow inmate received a letter from a friend who was as well released from a Prison in Bangkok. I can't remember the name of the Prison, but I remember that the letter said that he was as well released and had waited for the Immigration to pick him up. He then just wandered off to his gf in the Eesan. That was in Dec. 2011 Never heard of him again though. Apparently the paperwork of the Immigration get's mixed up sometimes. When I was rearrested and spent time in the Police station on Kho Samui, I had to go back to court 3 weeks later to pay for my fine for the overstay. After I had paid no one (police) came to pick me up again and bring me back in the police station. I had to phone them and asked if they have forgotten me. They apologized, and asked me to take a taxi. NO REFUND!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no choice. Doing a runner would have been worse.

We had a guy in prison who started screaming everyday that he was supposed to be released weeks ago. Day and night he rebelled. Until he was then listened to by the prison director. He was right. They forgot to release him. Amazing.

I've moved on. But it's an interesting topic. Not my case, but all the stories. The sad, funny, and amazing ones I came along while imprisoned are the ones I'd lake to share. Maybe we could team up. I'm still in contact with a couple of guys still serving their sentences. I could ask them to share their stories too.

Thanks for sharing your story with me. biggrin.pngwai.gif

Hey there. It doesn't surprise me they forgot about you lol.

So what happened to you about the blacklist? I'm supposedly not blacklisted, and the Embassy tell me I'm in the clear and can apply for a visa without issue because I was deported only for overstay (and had notified them). I hope to apply for my usual 1 year multiple from Birmingham and fly out on a one-way ticket in about 4 or 5 months. I'm concerned (very, very!) I'll run into problems at immigration. I'm not sure I'll ever feel fully secure entering Thailand ever again, but that's my own fault.

Another concern to me is the informant who helped police catch us riding his motorbike past our house regularly and slowing down to look in the house, presumably checking to see if I'm back (my wife tells me). He's also been seen hanging out drinking with a guy from CSD who was in the team who came to arrest us. The informant's son calls him uncle (I know it doesn't necessarily mean they're family, but clearly rather tight). None of this fills me with confidence that I'm going to be left alone even if I'm able to come back without issue. I fear getting set up and extorted.

Thailands a big place, move away !

What exactly is the OP's problem.?

Didn't read all the posts but fairly sure he's from the states

That must be why the Austrian Embassy visited him.

Hey ! I was fairly sure flattered when I wrote that commend. I had a good laugh. Infact all of the negative posts made me LOL. But it wouldn't had surprised me if I had a visit from the Australian Embassy at all.

Bugger off mate.............they don't even visit their own. w00t.gif

Are you jealous, that you never had the balls to whack a Thai Officer of the law.

Jealous? Balls? Maybe he just isn't stupid.

I never said him being stupid. I'm just tired of the "I know it all" guys who make thoughtless statements about things they have no experience about.

They are here all the time Star Dust..........just hanging around like ticks on a soi dogs balls. Just looking for the chance to make idiots of themselves.

Are you jealous, that you never had the balls to whack a Thai Officer of the law.

When was you in IDC and how long? what was your room number?

Wake up Mr Red, he has already told us that. facepalm.gif

Errrrm........firstly I do have experience in IDC.

Secondly, you don't think hitting a policeman is kinda stupid?

Thirdly, there have now been three posters that have been in IDC that don't agree that the conditions are as described by the OP.

I have to conclude that the OP is a bit of a "drama queen" and has a penchant for self-martyrdom.

You mention your experience with the IDC but the way I read the OP, Star Dust was in a real prison for 223 days, then in a cell at the Kho Samui Police Station in Chawaeng Beach, is currently at home, and expects to be held at some time in the future at the Surathani Police Station, then at a Ranong Police Station close to the border to Burma and finally at the IDC in Bangkok prior to deportation. Having said that, I agree that it is rather difficult to make much sense of his rambling story. He talks about "a couple of chapters from the texts I've written while I was a prisoner in Thailand in 2011 and 2012" and if this means that he is writing a book I expect that his editor will help him out.

Errrrm........firstly I do have experience in IDC.

Secondly, you don't think hitting a policeman is kinda stupid?

Thirdly, there have now been three posters that have been in IDC that don't agree that the conditions are as described by the OP.

I have to conclude that the OP is a bit of a "drama queen" and has a penchant for self-martyrdom.

You mention your experience with the IDC but the way I read the OP, Star Dust was in a real prison for 223 days, then in a cell at the Kho Samui Police Station in Chawaeng Beach, is currently at home, and expects to be held at some time in the future at the Surathani Police Station, then at a Ranong Police Station close to the border to Burma and finally at the IDC in Bangkok prior to deportation. Having said that, I agree that it is rather difficult to make much sense of his rambling story. He talks about "a couple of chapters from the texts I've written while I was a prisoner in Thailand in 2011 and 2012" and if this means that he is writing a book I expect that his editor will help him out.

And so he did. THX for understanding...(and they really thought I post the hole thing on a lousy TV forum?) published yet already''''only in German" Muahahahahaha/.............

I never said him being stupid. I'm just tired of the "I know it all" guys who make thoughtless statements about things they have no experience about.

They are here all the time Star Dust..........just hanging around like ticks on a soi dogs balls. Just looking for the chance to make idiots of themselves.

Well, I heard a lot. But you made me laugh real hard.......I'm still in tears.....LOL

I feel no compassion for the OP, if you commit the crime you have to do the time. Prisons were not meant to be "Country Clubs",

The law in Thailand or anywhere else if broken, one must pay the consequences and the failure to abide by immigration laws and its requirements "is" breaking the law.

One is not free to choose what laws they are willing to abide by in their home countries, as they are guest in Thailand, one must abide by the law. As these same laws also protect you in your visit to Thailand.

The conditions in the Thai facilities are not that much different than Mexican jails. A small room with a hole in the floor as your toilet, cardboard to sleep on, 2 meals a day served in a large wash tub for all to partake of with their hands in a cell that has no running water to at least wash up. With savage beatings dealt to people who did not like your looks or just to prove their dominance.

Many have voiced their displeasure how the law breakers are treated in Thailand, they failed to do their homework prior to coming to Thailand, the OP has chosen to return to Thailand, Why??? if the Thai system is so unfair!!

I have run across many falangs and their devil may care attitude while in a drunken state, that have no respect for Thai's much less Thai law. That end up having to pay the price for running afoul of the law!

When one drives in Thailand they take upon them selves the more opportunities to come into contact with the local BIB, I do not believe that the OP was jailed for his refusal to pay 750,000 baht to a Thai for a "broken" pinkie.

The unfairness of the law is at times to be exactly that reason the law is on the books, in the US the vast majority of drug user and traffickers are members of the dominate society, that uses the powdered cocaine, which by law is a very slight penalty for having small amounts on you at the time of arrest.

Crack cocaine is the drug of choice for the minority population, that one is dealt with severely for its use or procession by a mandatory sentence of at least 5-10 years of prison. Which results in a high percentage of minorities in the over 2 million US prison population.

While one can argue about the unfairness of that dual system of justice, one must consider that as a reason not to break the drug laws.

I do my best to comply with the laws in Thailand, there are many ways to do such, the overstaying of ones visa has some included safe guards, one you have a grace period for your overstay and is usually results in a fine base on the days of your overstay.

Also the required 90 day address reporting, my wife is allowed to submit my paper work and passport to immigration without my physically presenting myself in person (because of medical limitations) at no extra charge. As at times my step-daughter can submit my paper work but is charged a 100 baht fee.

One of the requirements to being allowed to stay in Thailand is showing that you have a clean record verified by securing a statement to such from your local police department.

So breaking the law in Thailand could result in deportation, I heard once of a man deported for the stealing of a towel from his Pattaya hotel, which by the way is a common practice in the old country.

Cheers:smile.png

Then maybe you should have written my story for me, EINSTEIN.

• Like 1