Who Wai's Who?

sms747

If they wai me, I wai them. If I wai them, they wai me.. This ia always followed by a handshake as that is my custom and I made an effort to try and understand theirs.

If you wait for them to wai you every time, you are just as rude as someone who doesn't wai at all.

Do you wait for monks to wai you, before you return the wai?

If so, better to not wai at all, than to be so rude as to wai second.

If your superiority complex makes you happy then that is a matter for you.

What if I really am superior? Someone has to be top dog, Fdog.

Anyway, whole thing is silly.

You want to wai, doff your cap, tug your forelock or kneel to anyone else, go ahead, ain't nobody looking stupid but you.

Your wrong.

So Mr.farang. Tell me the difference between shaking a gents and ladies hand in your country. coffee1.gif

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they wai me, I wai them. If I wai them, they wai me.. This ia always followed by a handshake as that is my custom and I made an effort to try and understand theirs.

If you wait for them to wai you every time, you are just as rude as someone who doesn't wai at all.

You want to wai, doff your cap, tug your forelock, kneel, bow or scrape to anyone else, go ahead, ain't nobody looking stupid but you.

I'm sure someone as important as you doesn't care what I look like.

So Mr.farang. Tell me the difference between shaking a gents and ladies hand in your country. coffee1.gifYour wrong.

I generally avoid shaking hands, as previously posted, too many dirty people around.

But I have no moral principles against it, as shaking hands is not a demonstration of superior/inferior status (as far as I know).

• Like 1

So Mr.farang. Tell me the difference between shaking a gents and ladies hand in your country. coffee1.gifYour wrong.

I generally avoid shaking hands, as previously posted, too many dirty people around.

But I have no moral principles against it, as shaking hands is not a demonstration of superior/inferior status (as far as I know).

Answer my question as your a pure farang.

• Like 1

It's called mutual respect. Those of you that don't give a shit are just morons that are acting just the same as the Thais you despise, it's all about face for you.

If you don't wai then you just have no self respect and the Thais know it. I

Good at least that's clear then.

Must admit I am no wiser but thanks for the replies. Not wai-ing anyone is a good start but would upset even more if I started to do that after 8 years. It's nice when somebody does offer their hand, usually a person with a bit of education, or a muslim, none of them in the family though.

Not sure I want to shake hands with someone who just wiped their arse with said hand, and probably didn't wash the hand after.

the wai is a greeting and a sign of respect to an older person, not unlike a handshake or in japan a bow

Un fortunatly TommoPhysicist has a problem with being polite,,, or just likes to be rude.

your last comment is disgusting, and my husband tells me that it's mostly falang men who don't wash hands after going bathroom, a western handshake is done with the RIGHT hand, Thai people wash with the left hand, so maybe it's some people who may not wish to shake YOUR hand!!!

no ones saying you have to change to thai culture, but to show a little respect it wont hurt you will it?

You've never been in a Thai mens toilet have you ?

Wash their hands. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Even in places like paragon only about 1 in 10 does.

• Like 2

You want to wai, doff your cap, tug your forelock, kneel, bow or scrape to anyone else, go ahead, ain't nobody looking stupid but you.

they say that man descended from trees, but some (TommoPhysicist) just fell too a lower limb!

• Like 1

The Wai is nothing to do with respect, it's to aknowledge a master and servant status in a feudal society.

For your info: a monk wais nobody not even the King . And to expect a monk to wai first just proves your ignorance Edited by hanuman2543
  • Like 1

NO'P wrong agian...

if a hand is offered palm upward it's a sign of openess and trust, if the hand is offered palm down then that would be a sign of soperiority.

• Like 1

The Wai is nothing to do with respect, it's to aknowledge a master and servant status in a feudal society.

For your info: a monk wais nobody not even the king .

I probably mistook praying for wai-ing, my bad.

Don't care much for the 'false' Buddist monks you find in Thailand either ..... with their mobile phones, etc.

• Like 1

if a hand is offered palm upward it's a sign of openess and trust, if the hand is offered palm down then that would be a sign of soperiority.NO'P wrong agian...

It's not worth the effort.

There we have it, NOT worth the effort. Rest my case. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

if a hand is offered palm upward it's a sign of openess and trust, if the hand is offered palm down then that would be a sign of soperiority.NO'P wrong agian...

Just remembered

If a Thai girl shakes your hand and taps her finger in the palm of your hand it means bed-time.

That was worth the effort after all.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

if you read my post I said "MY HUSBAND" so NO i dont go too men's toilet, firstly because I am a woman and secondly you can smell them before you can see them,

and Maybe you counting of men in toilets washing and not washing,,,, I think maybe you spend a little to much time in mens toilets???

You husband appears to be counting. sad.png

Edited by wooloomooloo

Just remembered

If a Thai girl shakes your hand and taps her finger in the palm of your hand it means bed-time.

Think you are clutching at straws this thread. smile.png You still haven't answered my question. Loads of time for Google. laugh.png

Just remembered

Think you are clutching at straws this thread. smile.png You still haven't answered my question. Loads of time for Google. laugh.png

The topic is about Thai wais .... you are off topic.

be

the wai is a greeting and a sign of respect to an older person, not unlike a handshake or in japan a bow

Un fortunatly TommoPhysicist has a problem with being polite,,, or just likes to be rude.

your last comment is disgusting, and my husband tells me that it's mostly falang men who don't wash hands after going bathroom, a western handshake is done with the RIGHT hand, Thai people wash with the left hand, so maybe it's some people who may not wish to shake YOUR hand!!!

no ones saying you have to change to thai culture, but to show a little respect it wont hurt you will it?

You've never been in a Thai mens toilet have you ?

Wash their hands. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Even in places like paragon only about 1 in 10 does.

Your not to clever are you?

if you read my post I said "MY HUSBAND" so NO i dont go too men's toilet, firstly because I am a woman and secondly you can smell them before you can see them,

and Maybe you counting of men in toilets washing and not washing,,,, I think maybe you spend a little to much time in mens toilets???sick.gifblink.pngwai2.gif

I'll take that as a compliment. smile.png

Your wrong.

So Mr.farang. Tell me the difference between shaking a gents and ladies hand in your country. coffee1.gif

Is there one ?

Indeed. Us gents know. smile.png

I'm too young I suppose. tongue.png

Aaaaaah, perhaps your right. I remember wearing a suite when out to dinner and could smoke a cigar. Those were the days. thumbsup.gif