LaoPo

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Winston Churchill

The master statesman stood alone against fascism and renewed the world's faith in the superiority of democracy

By JOHN KEEGAN

There are so many people from different categories it is a hard question to answer, but politically Winston was a great.

Edited by lopburiguy

Winston Churchill

The master statesman stood alone against fascism and renewed the world's faith in the superiority of democracy

By JOHN KEEGAN

There are so many people from different categories it is a hard question to answer, but politically Winston was a great.

I have to agree, although he made a few blunders early in his career, he was and is great.

Plus the fact that he drank like a fish and smoked like a trooper and still lived into his late eighties! :o

the chinese, for thinking and a people way ahead of thier time until they diccovered opium, then the egyptians, then the greeks, romans closly followed by winny churchill and maggie :D

...and the Babylonians, Mayas, Indians, Persians, Arabs, and in fact everybody :D

yes my friend, we were taught at school life is but a circle,

and how true it is.

is it true the chinese were the first organised civilisation, leading the world in the then technology of that time, if this is correct then in fifty years time they will have come full circle as they will probably be leading the world then.

DALAI LAMA for World President..... anybody? :o

Mahatma Gandhi. Peace, non-violent conflict resolution.

post-566-1141610334_thumb.jpg

"...........Nobody would be more happy than ourselves if by any chance our countrymen at home should succeed in liberating themselves through their own efforts or by any chance, the British Government accepts your `Quit India' resolution and gives effect to it. We are, however proceeding on the assumption that neither of the above is possible and that a struggle is inevitable.

Father of our Nation in this holy war for India's liberation, we ask for your blessings and good wishes".

Ghandi was certainly a great man.However his non-violent conflict resolution worked well because he was dealing with the British who ultimately were shamed into leaving India.If he had been dealing with the Japanese, Nazi Germany or the Chinese, there would have been bloodshed on a massive scale (though probably not as extensive as when the Hindus and Muslims stated murdering each other).The British were no saints -sometimes with an unpleasant racist undercurrent- but there was an element of humanity quite lacking in other colonial powers.Unfashionable comment I know but I have Indian friends who though fiercely nationalistic recognise the British contribution.

There was bloodshed on a massive scale!?!?

Noam Chomsky. He knows a thing or two about a thing or two.

Winston Churchill

By JOHN KEEGAN

You don't think it had anything to do with preserving the British Empire and keeping the colonies, do you?

Winston Churchill

By JOHN KEEGAN

You don't think it had anything to do with preserving the British Empire and keeping the colonies, do you?

No, I don't! By the time Churchill was PM the empire was dismantling itself. The writing was on the wall for empires. By the end of WWII there wasn't anything credible in trying to maintain one, the time was right for independance or devolution. It's still going on today in some shape or form.

What about his plan when he was Home Secretary to sterilize 100,000 "mental degenerates" and send several thousand others to state-run labour camps? And quotes like this...

"I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."

...and this....

"I do not understand the squeamishness about the use of gas, I am strongly in favor of using poison gas against uncivilized tribes."

Not exactly fashionable in today's climate.

As an opponent of communism he admired Italian fascism because it "proved the necessary antidote to the Communist poison."

Charming.

Edited by robitusson

What about his plan when he was Home Secretary to sterilize 100,000 "mental degenerates" and send several thousand others to state-run labour camps? And quotes like this...

"I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."

...and this....

"I do not understand the squeamishness about the use of gas, I am strongly in favor of using poison gas against uncivilized tribes."

As an opponent of communism he admired Italian fascism because it "proved the necessary antidote to the Communist poison."

Charming.

Back before Political Correctness, one could call a spade a spade! :o

:D

William Shakespeare

"""

William Shakespeare: Talented And Daring

"To be, or not to be, that is the question."

William Shakespeare was born in Stratford-upon-Avon, England in1564 He has enduring fame because he dared to be different, though he is known mainly through his plays. One of the most famous plays he wrote is Romeo and Juliet, a well-known love story. Also, he wrote Hamlet and Macbeth, two other well known plays. He is famous because of his creativity and giftedness with writing plays as well as his acting abilities.

"""

LaoPo

John F. Kennedy 1917-1963

I'm very curious how you look upon him...was he one of the greatest people?

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

...and this....

Charming.

I agree, as has been said, and I suppose it's true of everyone, not all he did was great! And yes he did do and say some abhorrent things. I suppose a detailed exposition of anyone would prove to be an exercise in discovering some nasty truths and some greatness. Churchill was there and necessary in Britain's darkest hour.

...and this....

Charming.

I agree, as has been said, and I suppose it's true of everyone, not all he did was great! And yes he did do and say some abhorrent things. I suppose a detailed exposition of anyone would prove to be an exercise in discovering some nasty truths and some greatness. Churchill was there and necessary in Britain's darkest hour.

Sorry for pushing it. Not the forum to be debating these things.

...Not the forum to be debating these things.

Well, if everybody would simply post a name and a short discribtion, this thread would be as interesting to read as the telephone book. But luckly it's not. (BTW i read with great pleasure the religion-discussion and I can't forgive myself for being to late to join it now... :o )

I personally dont have one particular "greatest person" although I think a few people did have great influence on the developments of humankind, certainly scientists more than politicians. Philosophers / "religion founders" might be considered but they got missinterpretated far too often mostly after they died and couldn't explain their views properly again.

Uma named her father earlier and I'm just wondering why so less (1) people share the idea of naming relatives, as they usually mean much more to one than some guys elsewhere in the world or some guys that passed away long time ago. BTW, less women named as well...

Just a thought,

KY :D

Nice post KY. I suppose if we were all honest in terms of 'influence' we would probably choose parents or teachers or friends. Would this make for an interesting post? Maybe!

Let's try.

I'm choosing my Uncle Tosh (short for Thomas) he had a wrist watch that had dirt in it. He laughed at all my jokes. He brought me bananas when he visited. After he died I found out the the uncle I loved had brain damage from an accident he'd been in years before. As a child I never realised, I just took him as I found him. I was about 10 years old when he used to visit. I still miss him!

A GREAT, sometimes forgotten Lady...next door :D

Aung San Suu Kyi - Burma/Myanmar - Born, June 19, 1945

Nobel Prize for Peace 1991 !

:D The Generals are still in control :D

In my opinion one of the Greatest Ladies in today's world; she refused to leave her country and stay with her people....

Her (dying) English husband was denied a visa by the military Junta in Burma to come and see his wife for the last time and died in 1999. :o Her children remain in the UK.

quote of Mrs. Aung San Suu Kyi:

"It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aung_San_Suu_Kyi

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

In my opinion one of the Greatest Ladies in today's world; she refused to leave her country and stay with her people....

Her (dying) English husband was denied a visa by the military Junta in Burma to come and see his wife for the last time and died in 1999. :o Her children remain in the UK.

"It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it."

LaoPo

She's great in her own right, not as a great-lady or great-politician, or Asian-leader. Hail Aung San Suu Kyi.

LaoPo

She's great in her own right, not as a great-lady or great-politician, or Asian-leader. Hail Aung San Suu Kyi.

Aung San Suu Kyi

:D She was democratically elected by her own people and she was honoured with the Nobel prize for Peace.

Doesn't that make her a great Lady or great Politician? :D (for the latter; she was thrown 'aside/away' by the Military for their own benefit instead of democracy for the people of Myanmar/Burma :D )

LaoPo