Dengue Fever Situation In Thailand Expected To Worsen This Year

webfact

Here's an org, but not particularly in Asia.

An earlier post stated that the biomass of mossies is a necessary thing but it was Man that introduced this particular mossy to many parts of the world.

It makes sense to me that Man should take care of his mistake and fix it.

Would I be right in thinking that all vulnerable areas, world wide, that could continue to transport the larvae are routinely sprayed?

If not, why not?

If there is a continuing resupply of larvae, all local measures will be ineffective.

Sounds like a project for the WHO.

http://www.rollbackmalaria.org/globaladvocacy/mediacentre.html

Man is responsible largely for creating an environment in which the mozzie thrives - the Aedes mozzies loves towns etc with a bit of water lying around. THis particular mozzie has now spread to Europe and I believe the States.

as said before spraying alone is not the solution.

Thanks, I read the article but to be honest, it rather sounded like Peter Sellars Political Speech.

A lot of talk but nothing said:-

... My friends, in the light of present-day developments let me say right away that I do not regard existing conditions likely. On the contrary, I have always regarded them as subjects of the gravest responsibility and shall ever continue to do so. Indeed, I will go further and state quite categorically that I am more than sensible of the (exact) definition of the precise issues which are at this very moment concerning us all. We must build, but we must build surely. Hear, hear!

- Let me say just this: If any part of what I am saying is challenged, then I am more than ready to meet such a challenge. For I have no doubt whatsoever that whatever I may have said in the past, or what I am saying now, is the exact, literal and absolute truth as to the state (?) of the case. - Hear, hear!

-I put it to you that this is not the time for vague promises of better things to come. For, if I were to convey to you a spirit of false optimism, then I should be neither fair to you nor true to myself. But does this mean, I hear you cry, that we can no longer look forward to the future that is to come?

Certainly not! Voice from the audience: What about the workers?

“What about the workers?”; indeed sir! Grasp, I beseech you, with both hands [Aside: I’m so sorry, I beg your pardon, madam.] the opportunities that are offered. Let us assume a bold front and go forward together. Let us carry the fight [noise of a blow being struck] against ignorance to the four corners of the earth because it is a fight which concerns us all. Now, finally my friends, in conclusion, let me say just this: [bIG SILENCE !!!]

Peter Sellers

...and your point being? Politics will have to play a role in the fight against Dengue and orgs like the above try to organise the work...this takes money and to get it you have to play the game.

The org seemed to have: A lot of talk but nothing said:-

I do not knock them but this is something that cannot be talked away.

Dengue fever is now the fastest spreading insect-borne virus. It has reached “epidemic potential,” the World Health Organization says.

in fact that's why I suggested it would need the World Health Organisation to get a project going.

On the WHO website, they describe Dengue but they don't appear to be heading any initiative to get rid of it.

http://www.who.int/topics/dengue/en/

I'd like to know what you are basing this assessment on!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had it twice in the last 3 years in Chiang Mai. How much worse can it get ??

Hey man you need to be careful. There are 5 strains of dengue and catching one brings immunity TO THAT ONE. However there is a cumulative effect and it makes catching the next one more serious. The third often kills...........

I don't know about death and "often" as death from Dengue is very rare compared with the flu or other common illness.

My advice to everyone is to avoid bites at all costs when there is lots of the buggers around, keep an ear out for anyone in your building or area that has it, as you are most likely to get bitten when you are lounging around in shorts relaxed at home, before you cover up and deet up..

I always seem to get a few bites even with spray, but it sure helps for a while.

• Like 1

I have had it twice in the last 3 years in Chiang Mai. How much worse can it get ??

Hey man you need to be careful. There are 5 strains of dengue and catching one brings immunity TO THAT ONE. However there is a cumulative effect and it makes catching the next one more serious. The third often kills...........

I don't know about death and "often" as death from Dengue is very rare compared with the flu or other common illness.

My advice to everyone is to avoid bites at all costs when there is lots of the buggers around, keep an ear out for anyone in your building or area that has it, as you are most likely to get bitten when you are lounging around in shorts relaxed at home, before you cover up and deet up..

I always seem to get a few bites even with spray, but it sure helps for a while.

"as you are most likely to get bitten when you are lounging around in shorts relaxed at home"

Can you say what you are basing this statement on?

Dengue spreads best in densely populated areas, but as infected people can travel before they show symptoms it can move about the country (or the world) quite easily these days.

whilst I accept that covering up is the best prophylactic, are you suggesting that location is a factor here and that people are more likely to be bitten if they are in a relaxed state and at their own home?

"as you are most likely to get bitten when you are lounging around in shorts relaxed at home"

Can you say what you are basing this statement on?

Dengue spreads best in densely populated areas, but as infected people can travel before they show symptoms it can move about the country (or the world) quite easily these days.

whilst I accept that covering up is the best prophylactic, are you suggesting that location is a factor here and that people are more likely to be bitten if they are in a relaxed state and at their own home?

Yes you are more likely to get it before you cover up and put deet on, for tourist you guesthouse could be a breeding ground. Having breakfast in your underwear is a popular time to get it

Some observations on the Dengue carrying Mosquito.....

Where you are is of little significance - why you are undressed in also irrelevant.

Aedes mozzies only need the smallest amounts of water to breed - they fly day and night and are particularly active dawn and dusk.

they as with most mosquitoes have a limited flight range and a limited life span. it isn't the mosquito that makes you sick it is the dengue virus they can carry.

in general to infect you they have first to bite an infected person and then another parson who may subsequently contract the illness.

Due to their limited lifespan and range it is easier for the disease to pass around if people are close together. It has little bering on whether a place is "clean" or not, it depends on whether there is somewhere suitable for breeding.

Once someone has been infected they may well travel some distance before the symptoms present and thus the disease has been moved on to a different region or country. as the Aedes mosquito is now present in eve wider regions it mean that the disease too ca spread.

At present prevention is the only option - don't get bitten.....Best is to cover up....

Mozzies preferred target is something like a buffalo - big hot and steamy presenting a black silhouette, so do your best not to resemble this too much....light colors are considered better and emission of CO2 seems to attract them.

people who claim they have been bitten several times in the night by one mosquito are in general mistaken as the animals only bight once or twice a day. They may have a few aborted attempts but they can only consume so much blood (think about it). the truth is that if you experience multiple bites there are probably multiple mozzies too, you just don't see them or think it's the same one over and over.

indoors mozzies like to hang out in dark places, under furniture in curtains or on laundry - good idea to shake the latter or spray it before you bring it indoors.

bites - people react to bites differently - the British Army's official line is that EVERYONE gets bitten but some people simply get no effect at all....others get ghastly red holes everywhere. This does not have to correlate with the likelihood of contracting the disease.

I don't know how effective the Aedes mosquito is at transmitting the virus (percent per bite) or how many (percentage) actually carry it, perhaps someone has found some info on this. I suspect one can be bitten many, many times without getting dengue, I suspect it's a bit like Russian roulette.

DEET - is the most effect repellant but over about 30% has been shown to be of no advantage. There are medical concerns about the effects of DEEt on the wearer and it is not usually recommended to wear it for long periods - some authorities recommend showering it off one inside and never sleeping with it still on.

Mozzie coils - The chemicals used in coils also have had some serious criticism - they don't fall under usual medical legislation and the stuff in then can be a matter for concern.

...........so in the end, regardless of where you are or what you are doing, if you think there are mozzies about, cover up.....or use a mozzie net.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Where you are is of little significance - why you are undressed in also irrelevant.

Aedes mozzies only need the smallest amounts of water to breed - they fly day and night and are particularly active dawn and dusk.

they as with most mosquitoes have a limited flight range and a limited life span. it isn't the mosquito that makes you sick it is the dengue virus they can carry.

in general to infect you they have first to bite an infected person and then another parson who may subsequently contract the illness.

Due to their limited lifespan and range it is easier for the disease to pass around if people are close together. It has little bering on whether a place is "clean" or not, it depends on whether there is somewhere suitable for breeding.

Once someone has been infected they may well travel some distance before the symptoms present and thus the disease has been moved on to a different region or country. as the Aedes mosquito is now present in eve wider regions it mean that the disease too ca spread.

At present prevention is the only option - don't get bitten.....Best is to cover up....

Mozzies preferred target is something like a buffalo - big hot and steamy presenting a black silhouette, so do your best not to resemble this too much....light colors are considered better and emission of CO2 seems to attract them.

people who claim they have been bitten several times in the night by one mosquito are in general mistaken as the animals only bight once or twice a day. They may have a few aborted attempts but they can only consume so much blood (think about it). the truth is that if you experience multiple bites there are probably multiple mozzies too, you just don't see them or think it's the same one over and over.

indoors mozzies like to hang out in dark places, under furniture in curtains or on laundry - good idea to shake the latter or spray it before you bring it indoors.

bites - people react to bites differently - the British Army's official line is that EVERYONE gets bitten but some people simply get no effect at all....others get ghastly red holes everywhere. This does not have to correlate with the likelihood of contracting the disease.

I don't know how effective the Aedes mosquito is at transmitting the virus (percent per bite) or how many (percentage) actually carry it, perhaps someone has found some info on this. I suspect one can be bitten many, many times without getting dengue, I suspect it's a bit like Russian roulette.

DEET - is the most effect repellant but over about 30% has been shown to be of no advantage. There are medical concerns about the effects of DEEt on the wearer and it is not usually recommended to wear it for long periods - some authorities recommend showering it off one inside and never sleeping with it still on.

Mozzie coils - The chemicals used in coils also have had some serious criticism - they don't fall under usual medical legislation and the stuff in then can be a matter for concern.

...........so in the end, regardless of where you are or what you are doing, if you think there are mozzies about, cover up.....or use a mozzie net.

Nice post. All the good info in one place.

Thanks.

Be particularly care full early in the morning when you 1st get up at a busy guesthouse in a city.

A mosquito can fly up two 2 Km from its point of origin, especially if there is wind.

The village lady announced last week that there had been a case of dengue at the local hospital. Two days later an inspector came round the village checking for unnecessary stagnant water, the day after a guy was scattering larvicide (innocuous for fish) into the water. I was getting bitten every night before that, mosquito free since.

No fogging, this seems pointless as the next generation of mossies is still in the water. However what you can do in Isaan will be difficult in a place like Pattaya - a favourite place for mossie larvae is inside old tyres for instance.

A mosquito can fly up two 2 Km from its point of origin, especially if there is wind.

The village lady announced last week that there had been a case of dengue at the local hospital. Two days later an inspector came round the village checking for unnecessary stagnant water, the day after a guy was scattering larvicide (innocuous for fish) into the water. I was getting bitten every night before that, mosquito free since.

No fogging, this seems pointless as the next generation of mossies is still in the water. However what you can do in Isaan will be difficult in a place like Pattaya - a favourite place for mossie larvae is inside old tyres for instance.

The other night while buying my food from a stall, i happened to peer into the long stagnant storm drain. Millions of mosquitos.

So fog all you like, if the local govt isn't going t to clean up the drains.

Where did you get that figure from?

Although it is not 100% certain the generally accepted range is considered to be to be much less: - 50 to 400 meters.

some mozzies have a greater range but it is the Aedes mozzies (various species) that carries Dengue, amongst other diseases.

WHO...

"Flight range studies suggest that most female Ae. aegypti may spend their lifetime in or around the houses where they emerge as adults and they usually fly an average of 400 metres. This means that people, rather than mosquitoes, rapidly move the virus within and between communities and places."

Edited by wilcopops

Fogging - I believe the chemicals used actually enter the surface of the water and can kill larvae and wrigglers, this is why it presents a danger to fish.

Although it is not 100% certain the generally accepted range is considered to be to be much less: - 50 to 400 meters.

some mozzies have a greater range but it is the Aedes mozzies (various species) that carries Dengue, amongst other diseases.

WHO...

"Flight range studies suggest that most female Ae. aegypti may spend their lifetime in or around the houses where they emerge as adults and they usually fly an average of 400 metres. This means that people, rather than mosquitoes, rapidly move the virus within and between communities and places."

The word used is average. I did mention the wind factor.

Quick google search gave me: most mosquitoes stay within a mile or two of their source. However, some have been recorded as far as 75 miles from their breeding source.

WHO...

The word used is average. I did mention the wind factor.

Quick google search gave me: most mosquitoes stay within a mile or two of their source. However, some have been recorded as far as 75 miles from their breeding source.

So are you suggesting a wide variance from the mean? I don't think this is likely.

If you google a bit more you will find the Aedes mozzies have a limited range - and this is taken into account when preventing the spread of the disease.

"..........

• Only the female aedes mosquito bites as it needs the protein in blood to develop its eggs.
  • The mosquito becomes infective approximately 7 days after it has bitten a person carrying the virus. This is the extrinsic incubation period, during which time the virus replicates in the mosquito and reaches the salivary glands.
  • Peak biting is at dawn and dusk.
  • The average lifespan of an Aedes mosquito in Nature is 2 weeks
  • The mosquito can lay eggs about 3 times in its lifetime, and about 100 eggs are produced each time.
  • The eggs can lie dormant in dry conditions for up to about 9 months, after which they can hatch if exposed to favourable conditions, i.e. water and food......."

It is of course perfectly possible for mozzies to "hitch a ride" over great distances, as it is possible for an infected person to travel half way round the world before they get bitten by another mozzie, however in the prevention on a national basis it is important to prevent mozzies biting an infected person and then moving on to infect another, therefore a lot of research has been done into how far they usually fly and I con't find anywhere the suggestion that the Aedes mozzie travels more than a few hundred metres under normal circumstances.

google in an immensely useful tool but like any tool one needs to know how to use it and it requires certain skills and techniques.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Ok ok if it makes you happy.

Now you've got me; I can't see what it has to do with me or my happiness........ Or are you being petulant because I pulled you up on a point that you don't seem to have connected to the subject correctly? Dengue is quite a serious illness and although we all make mistakes from time to time when posting it is important that the information posted is as accurate and therefore as helpful as possible. If you post something that flies in the face of the accepted information about a topic then you need to have your facts straight. I can't see the need or benefit of starting from zero and then posting the fist piece of information you find on Google without checking if it's pertinent or not.

Fogging - I believe the chemicals used actually enter the surface of the water and can kill larvae and wrigglers, this is why it presents a danger to fish.

They are cold blooded, so can't break down the toxin. That's why i was surprised about cats and permethrins.

They are cold blooded, so can't break down the toxin. That's why i was surprised about cats and permethrins.

Permethrin acts as a neurotoxin, slowing down the nervous system through binding to sodium channels. This action is negatively correlated

to temperature, thus, in general, showing more acute effects on cold-blooded animals (insects, fish, frogs...) over warm-blooded animals (mammals and

birds):

(this doesn't mean warm blooded animal aren't affected)

Pesticide grade permethrin is toxic to cats. Many cats die after being given flea treatments intended for dogs, or by contact with dogs having recently been treated with permethrin. Only the less toxic human, pharmaceutical grade Permethrin with well defined impurities and a reduced CIS:TRANS ratio is considered safe for pet use.

Edited by wilcopops

• 2 weeks later...

there are 4 strains and it is suggested that it gets worse each time - so be careful.

I have been told that also. However I found that the second time was not quite as horrendous as the first. Maybe it depends on the strain ???? It might be that if you get the same strain again it is worse but I am not sure. Bloody horrible no matter how you look at it. And thanks for the advice. I will try to be more careful that is for sure. Mosquitos seem to enjoy my blood for some reason. sad.png
Do you remember getting the actual bites that resulted in these two infections and was it during the daytime?

I am like you. A virtual magnet for these things. In my case I drink milk and they say they are attractive to people with the smell of lactic acid. Do you drink milk?

there are 4 strains and it is suggested that it gets worse each time - so be careful.

I have been told that also. However I found that the second time was not quite as horrendous as the first. Maybe it depends on the strain ???? It might be that if you get the same strain again it is worse but I am not sure. Bloody horrible no matter how you look at it. And thanks for the advice. I will try to be more careful that is for sure. Mosquitos seem to enjoy my blood for some reason. sad.png
Do you remember getting the actual bites that resulted in these two infections and was it during the daytime?

I am like you. A virtual magnet for these things. In my case I drink milk and they say they are attractive to people with the smell of lactic acid. Do you drink milk?

I am not too much of a milk drinker. I don't remember the actual bites that caused the infection but obvioulsy I do notice getting bitten. It would have been in the daytime as only daytime Mossies carry the virus. I have my suspicions on where I came in contact with the culprits but I have no evidence.

I'm like you, a real mozzy magnet.

I remember reading years ago that some blood is easier to extract than others so they go for the easy ones.

I found this link which you may find interesting.

I've snipped a bit of it here.

http://scienceline.org/2007/09/ask-knight-mosquitoes/

Snip>Scientists have identified several proteins found in mosquitoes’ antennae and heads that latch on to chemical markers, or odorants, emitted from our skin. These markers are produced by the natural processes of our bodies and, like neon signs, they let the mosquitoes’ smell center know you’re around (though the process that then guides them to you is not well understood). Flies and mosquitoes share a number of the same genes that dictate production of these odorant-binding proteins, which have specific sites that will catch or bind with certain chemicals in the air. Some scientists suggest that certain characteristics attract mosquitoes, thereby leading us to have more bites than others. Some of the top candidates: the amount of carbon dioxide in the breath, pregnancy, body temperature, alcohol and odorant markers based on blood type.

Blood-type markers are chemicals released by people of a specific blood type – so if someone with AB blood emitted a marker, it would be different than that released by B. One study found persons with Type O blood suffered more mosquito landings because of the odorant markers they emit than any other blood type, making their juices a hot commodity for blood banks, as well as Asian Tiger Mosquitoes, which carry West Nile Virus. Not only were Type O’s more likely to be landed on, but the study found that for any blood type, people who secreted a chemical marker about their blood type through their skin (both blood type and secretor status are determined by genes) were bitten much more than non-secretors; 24 percent in the case of the Type O’s. Other researchers estimate about 15 percent of the population, based on their genes, don’t emit chemical markers of their blood type through their skin and saliva, so something else has to be calling the mosquitoes to them.<Snip>

• Like 2

Do we really have to give up the booze?

For the last 8 months I have been eating more than 6 whole cloves of fresh raw crushed garlic.

My wife says that it has changed the smell of my skin.

The mozzies still queue up for me!

There are a number of links to follow, each one with a bit more info.

The question is:

Are they reporting real research, or are they just repeating what the saw somewhere else?

e.g.

Scientists do know that genetics account for a whopping 85% of our susceptibility to mosquito bites. They've also identified certain elements of our body chemistry that, when found in excess on the skin's surface, make mosquitoes swarm closer.

"People with high concentrations of steroids or cholesterol on their skin surface attract mosquitoes," Butler tells WebMD. That doesn't necessarily mean that mosquitoes prey on people with higher overall levels of cholesterol, Butler explains. These people simply may be more efficient at processing cholesterol, the byproducts of which remain on the skin's surface.

Mosquitoes also target people who produce excess amounts of certain acids, such as uric acid, explains entomologist John Edman, PhD, spokesman for the Entomological Society of America. These substances can trigger mosquitoes' sense of smell, luring them to land on unsuspecting victims.

But the process of attraction begins long before the landing. Mosquitoes can smell their dinner from an impressive distance of up to 50 meters, explains Edman. This doesn't bode well for people who emit large quantities of carbon dioxide.

"Any type of carbon dioxide is attractive, even over a long distance," Conlon says. Larger people tend to give off more carbon dioxide, which is why mosquitoes typically prefer munching on adults to small children. Pregnant women are also at increased risk, as they produce a greater-than-normal amount of exhaled carbon dioxide. Movement and heat also attract mosquitoes.

So if you want to avoid an onslaught of mosquito bites at your next outdoor gathering, stake out a chaise lounge rather than a spot on the volleyball team. Here's why. As you run around the volleyball court, the mosquitoes sense your movement and head toward you. When you pant from exertion, the smell of carbon dioxide from your heavy breathing draws them closer. So does the lactic acid from your sweat glands. And then -- gotcha.

Coma - The opinion states that is is SUSPECTED the subsequent bout of Dengue can be more serious. No-one has suggested this is hundred percent - it never is - you are only one example of hundreds of thousands of people who have suffered from Dengue........in these numbers the trend is suggested.

Who diagnosed you with Dengue?

Can someone actually give me the reference to the scientists who made the statements about genetic propensity?

"susceptible"? do they mean bitten more often or likely to have more significant reaction to a bite?

Is it because some are genetically more prone to giving off enticing smells etc.......??

Edited by wilcopops