Domains

diddums

Any differance between using say godaddy and easydomains or 123domains etc.

Whats the diff between .com and .co in reality ? (apart from the missing M of course)

Will .co's become just as sought after as .com's ?

Oh...and .org's.....are they purely for non profits or can get away with using it for other uses ?

for registering a website in Thailand.

Edited by diddums

>> Any differance between using say godaddy and easydomains or 123domains etc.

Not really. Much of a muchness. Domain registration is a commodity. You might find differences in service.

>> Whats the diff between .com and .co in reality ? (apart from the missing M of course)

Quite a large difference. Ask your friends what they'd type in to find a website and see how many refer to .co. Given a choice between mydomain.com and mydomain.co I'll take the former every time.

>> Will .co's become just as sought after as .com's ?

No. Some .co's have sold for large amounts, but nothing like the value of equivalent .com's. Only one-word generics have value, and these are all long since gone.

>> Oh...and .org's.....are they purely for non profits or can get away with using it for other uses ?

Anyone can register a .org domain. No restrictions. There may be some public perception that .org is for non-profits and charities etc. but the reality is that .org's can be used by anyone.

If you're starting a business I'd go with .com, or .co.th if your target market is Thai.

For registering there is very little worry about. Make sure that you can change your Name Server records. I know some registration companies that have their own hosting will not allow you to move your NS away from their servers without some wrangling. I have never used GoDaddy but I have some clients using GoDaddy and they seem happy enough.

Indeed there are far worth registrars out there than Godaddy. But Godaddy are not the best anymore IMHO.

I'm switching my domains to namecheap as they expire.

Godaddy = $15

Namecheap = $10

Pretty simple choice.

It's worth noting that .co domains also cost twice as much as .com which makes them even less desirable.

Edited by dave111223

If it's .co.th domains you are referring to, there is only one registrar and you can only register a name that closely matches the name of a registered company or brandname. Guess that's 2 reasons why there aren't many of them.

Thanks for the info.

Is godaddy considered bad because they are successful and all things big poppy can be damned ?

Or is there a good reason for it ?

I do not wish to use the website as a .com.th

The name I want is not available on .com so wondering if .co's will be just as popular worldwide sooner or later....as you cannot get too many .coms now....so something has to replace it sooner or later and in several years be equally as popular or easily recognised etc.

Godaddy have problems because they are very big and also they are very inflexible. Obviously for just one or two domains they are probably going to do everything you need without hassle.

Different search engines have varying policies on how they treat the differences between TLDs but in general there is little technical reason to worry unless you are selling something only in a particular location.

.COMs are preferable because the non-tech buying public think they are preferable and a more reliable/recognisable/familiar way for a website to look.

Nothing is likely to replace the popularity of .com, bear in mind people fail to renew their .coms all the time so they become newly available again to the public, and you can buy and sell .coms between people very easily. Its the gold standard TLD and always will be in my opinion.

wondering if .co's will be just as popular worldwide sooner or later....

No, they will not...(sooner or later)

Look at .net and .org are they just as populate as .com? They've been around just as long. IMHO the only reason to buy a .CO domain is if you already own the .COM and you want to make sure someone doesn't squat your typos (try and earn money off people mistyping your domain)

Buying the .co because .com is already taken, IMHO, is the dumbest move. Anything else would be better; .in.th, .co.th, .us, .net or changing to a different name all together). If you have the .CO many customers will end up going to .COM by mistake

Also see if the .COM you want is available for sale. If there is no real website there then it's probably for sale, use WHOIS to find the owner and contact them to see how much they want: http://whois.domaintools.com/

Can use this tool to get a rough idea how much the domain itself might be worth, for negotiation purposes: http://www.valuate.com/

Edited by dave111223

Just get your domain through Google Apps, $10 a year with no BS, plus you get free gmail. calendar, drive etc. under your own domain name and automatically set up for you. (NB: You get a choice of registrar, choose enom).

Alternatively, if you love having endless amounts of upsell crap forcibly shoved down your throat with absolutely no way to stop it, use Godaddy. Their control panel is *painful* to look at.

Sure .com is best, no argument, but what i am saying if it is not available and any good .com name is gone these days.......not paying silly money for a name for something new.

What are the .com domains you are interested in?

then the secret will be out

Just get your domain through Google Apps, $10 a year with no BS, plus you get free gmail. calendar, drive etc. under your own domain name and automatically set up for you. (NB: You get a choice of registrar, choose enom).

Alternatively, if you love having endless amounts of upsell crap forcibly shoved down your throat with absolutely no way to stop it, use Godaddy. Their control panel is *painful* to look at.

But don't you have to also pay for Google Apps ($5/user/month), so if all you want is a domain, you'd end up paying $60 per year?

The domain i want is available as .org and it may suffice......another close one is available as .co..........the .com one i want is available at auction for $500........auction finished yesterday with not one bid or any interest.......thought it might revert to best offer, but it just recycled to another auction date in 90 days time.

But don't you have to also pay for Google Apps ($5/user/month), so if all you want is a domain, you'd end up paying $60 per year?

Yeah, sorry it seems they killed the free version of Google Apps in December.

The domain i want is available as .org and it may suffice......another close one is available as .co..........the .com one i want is available at auction for $500........auction finished yesterday with not one bid or any interest.......thought it might revert to best offer, but it just recycled to another auction date in 90 days time.

$500 is really not that much, if it's a decent short .com domain. If they are listing it at $500 you could probably contact the owner and start somewhere at $250...or even $150.

You do realize that domains can be worth millions of dollars? http://www.domaining.com/topsales/

But if their list price is $500...it's probably not a decent domain (and seeing as you are unwilling to tell us it, then i guess we can't advise on this)

Edited by dave111223

$500 is really not that much, if it's a decent short .com domain. If they are listing it at $500 you could probably contact the owner and start somewhere at $250...or even $150.

You do realize that domains can be worth millions of dollars? http://www.domaining.com/topsales/

But if their list price is $500...it's probably not a decent domain (and seeing as you are unwilling to tell us it, then i guess we can't advise on this)

Its not a short snappy name no....but it is useful for what I want it for and has a ring to it for that reason only.

Tried to offer $50 through the auction thingy....but would not let you offer less than their bottom line amount of 500......and as you stated....no interest in it, so not a screaming success crying out to be bought...so I do not wish to pay anything to much for it.

• 2 months later...

I am wondering about this also.

I have a name I wish to register, but the .com is not available.

I can respell the word a little and get the .com, would this be advisable over going for any of the other .nets. .biz, .info etc as they all seem to be available in the correct spelling.

The word/letter change is quite simple, but does not look quite as good.

It is 3 words together and one of those words is 'BLUE'. The .com with the correct spelling is not available, but with it spelt as 'BLU' is.

What say you?

Forget Godaddy, it's the biggest yet one of the worst webhosting providers out there and this company is totally rotten. Apart from that it's owner loves to kil African elephants as hobby. Justhost (UK) is also total crap, same for 123domains.

I have good experiences with One.com (excellent service from Scandinavia, although they just allow only 1 domain per package) and Dynadot is very good.

About domains: forget .co (colombia), simply said, it's totally useless if you not also own the .com version. The .co hype is over since long time and will never become of any importance.

Edited by rubberduck

GoDaddy does ok job with domain hosting. But that's about the only thing they do well. If encountered an problem with them it's just pain in the behind.

.CO is for Colombia and controlled by their laws. .COM is controlled by US laws. One reason why people use .CO domains is that they don't wish to give control of the domain to the US. At least that's how I understood it works.

I am wondering about this also.

I have a name I wish to register, but the .com is not available.

I can respell the word a little and get the .com, would this be advisable over going for any of the other .nets. .biz, .info etc as they all seem to be available in the correct spelling.

The word/letter change is quite simple, but does not look quite as good.

It is 3 words together and one of those words is 'BLUE'. The .com with the correct spelling is not available, but with it spelt as 'BLU' is.

What say you?

Forget Godaddy.

avoid .biz

com net org are Top Level domains (TLD) and some argue .co which infact is the country domain for the county of Colombia.

I did not know that re .co thanks.

I can get .org and .net, so may just go with the org one I think.

Thanks.

Do check if there is no trademark in the US on the name you want, perhaps by the .com holder. Otherwise they would just ask you to handover your us governed domain, when your activities are too similar to their business.

At first i was excited about .co, as it seems to be short for company. But for the masses, i realized it's always going to look like the "m" is missing. Every time you tell someone, you'll have to clarifiy. For the unwashed masses, it's no good. Also they went big on marketing and you'll be paying them back for that.

A domain I've been getting into lately is the .in.th domain. (Obviously for stuff IN Thailand) Lots of dictonary words still left, and "IN" is actually a word. Cars.in.th - User would think "Cars in thailand" I think better than "cars.co.th" "cars company thailand".