Vfw Offering Large Dukes Pizza At A Discount Price

BarnicaleBob

BTW guys, if anyone can organise a coupon to be brought to The Olde Bell, I'll happily stump up 350 Baht as I'm a sucker for Duke's pizzas and have several friends in VFW.

Ignore the detractors!!

That's a good idea. If you started selling The Duke's pizza I'd visit your pub a lot more often.

• Like 1

I won't be bothered to explain a charitable contribution made by an individual or business and a "promotion" by a

business and a charity to ostensibly to raise funds for a charity. The question I initially posed was a request to

understand how much the VFW was getting from this promotion? That is totally legitimate, particularly in light

of how some of these "promotions" work ( one of the world's largest charity fundraiser is the Girl Scout Cookie Sale

in the USA- do a little research and find where more than 90% of the purchase price ends up going).

What I got was an answer and a feeble attack on my education and sanity. Stupidity and simplicity make a good

combination.

Why are you so upset about Dukes reducing the normal price of their Pizza and also giving something to charity? I may not be as clever as you so can't get your logic - I was able to graduate in less than 20 years however. lol - well done Dukes - I love your Pizza by the way

For me a deal that includes hassle, and ends up still costing more than that I would pay back home for a pizza isnt really a good value in my books.

So pop home and get one... wink.png

Indeed. Besides you won't find a pizza in Europe or America for 350 THB. I recently checked a number of places I used to go to in both Europe and USA and the pizzas were around the 15 Euro/USD 20 mark.

Wrong. I can get a pizza in Europe for 4 euros (160 baht) in a restauraunt setting. That is a large size pizza compared to Thailand, and I can pick the 4 toppings for it. The Turkish/Middle-Easterners have hundreds of these places in Europe, and the prices varies from 4 to 8 euros. A pizza by one of the more known franchises is about 5-10 euros. The size is smaller, but still about the same size as Thai pizzas. The family versions are a little more than double of this at the franchises, but at the Turkish places the family pizzas might sell as low as 8 euros, and sometimes they include a free 1.5 l soda as well. Thats good value and a good pizza. Though the regular size (4 euros/160 baht) is big enough for 2 thais.

Please dont try to educate me on the price of pizzas in Europe. You are just wrong. The profit margins here for Pizzas are great. Pizza company use to deliver 2 medium X-pan pizzas for 199 baht not long ago until they realized they can charge more.

I appreciate the effort, and would just rather donate directly to the organizations bank account than jump hoops to help.

Please dont try to educate me on the price of pizzas in Europe. You are just wrong. The profit margins here for Pizzas are great. Pizza company use to deliver 2 medium X-pan pizzas for 199 baht not long ago until they realized they can charge more.

I appreciate the effort, and would just rather donate directly to the organizations bank account than jump hoops to help.

Let's suppose that the owner of The Duke's is telling the truth when he says that it costs him about 250 baht to make those pizzas. Then what they would be the morally correct amount for him to charge? Not a baht over 250?

Edited by AngelsLariat

It is just a bloody pizza voucher. If you think it is a good deal buy it. If you don't get on with your life. I am not a great patron of Dukes but I feel sorry for the poor bastards who have tried to do the right thing and some people, for whatever reason, want to hang them out to dry.

• Like 1

For me a deal that includes hassle, and ends up still costing more than that I would pay back home for a pizza isnt really a good value in my books.

So pop home and get one...

Indeed. Besides you won't find a pizza in Europe or America for 350 THB. I recently checked a number of places I used to go to in both Europe and USA and the pizzas were around the 15 Euro/USD 20 mark.

Wrong. I can get a pizza in Europe for 4 euros (160 baht) in a restauraunt setting. That is a large size pizza compared to Thailand, and I can pick the 4 toppings for it. The Turkish/Middle-Easterners have hundreds of these places in Europe, and the prices varies from 4 to 8 euros. A pizza by one of the more known franchises is about 5-10 euros. The size is smaller, but still about the same size as Thai pizzas. The family versions are a little more than double of this at the franchises, but at the Turkish places the family pizzas might sell as low as 8 euros, and sometimes they include a free 1.5 l soda as well. Thats good value and a good pizza. Though the regular size (4 euros/160 baht) is big enough for 2 thais.

Strange indeed, but there may be some other readers out there , who, based on your writing, just do not see you as a giving and donating type of person. I humbly suggest that you take the time to step back and try and read your posts with anothers eye. They are not creating a favorable image of you

This would require me to care what about people think about me on the internet forums.

Anyways when I am told im lying I like to correct the facts.

Good luck with your efforts. Never said you were not with the wrong cause.

You are in good cause and dont let the sidetalk of pizza economics get to you. What is the Organizations info for direct donation

I'm sure if you came before the meeting or after the meeting they would gladly accept your donation.

Strange indeed, but there may be some other readers out there , who, based on your writing, just do not see you as a giving and donating type of person. I humbly suggest that you take the time to step back and try and read your posts with anothers eye. They are not creating a favorable image of you

This would require me to care what about people think about me on the internet forums.

Someone said that you were lying?

Not to belabor on a point of semantics, but forgive me if I misunderstood you and your statement. Your first sentence above sounds like a little bit of a fib, as you indicate in your second sentence. If you honestly and truly did not care what people thought about you on the internet your second sentence shows that you do care..... In any event your third sentence gives you a one out of three .....

wai2.gif

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I for one am having a hard time figuring out the hoops he is jumping through. Make a phone call is hardly what I would call a hoop.

He may be right about pizza prices in Europe but he has no conception of the prices in Canada or the States. He talks about raising prices because they cas obviously no conception of the economy here in Thailand.

I think L&J raised some valid points, but the hostile nature of his wording created the backlash and Dave's response was perhaps too quick and childish. (I don't think he knows L&J or else he wouldn't have called him the names he did.)

But L&J is really talking about two different types of charity fund-raising events. The program from The Dukes is an easy way for the VFW to take in 100 baht for each voucher sold. Yes, The Dukes will benefit when diners buy drinks, etc, but the offer is attractive and will undoubtedly raise some nice funds for a good cause, with a small amount of effort on the part of the VFW.

The other type of fund-raiser that L&J mentions are one-shot major charity events -- often fancy dress affairs held at high-end hotels or resorts. Yes, (speaking as someone who has organized this type of event) usually the costs of staging the event (space rental, meal, PA system, stage, entertainment, security, advertising, signage) is about equal to the money taken in ticket sales. Where the charity makes their "profit" is in the silent auctions, live auctions, raffles, drawings, games, liquor sales, whatever activity that causes the attendes to spend more than the price of the entry ticket. These events are much more difficult to organize than something like selling restaurant vouchers because the income to the charity depends upon the charity solicting donations of merchandise and services, mostly from local businesses for the auctions, attracting many attendees and then staging an attractive event where attendees have fun and spend much more money than just the price of entry.

There's a place for both types of fund raising activities. But, it's wrong for L&J to highlight the shortcomings of the second activity and use it to paint the Dukes coupon sales in a negative light. Instead, the only valid question is "how much of the sale price of the voucher actually goes to the charity?" That's a fair question and it was answered.

Edited by NancyL

Yes, Nancy, you're right. I should not have called anyone names and it was childish. I apologize. I'll stick to the positive. It's a simple way for the VFW to raise funds. I never said that The Duke's does not make any money on the 250 Baht and while some buy drinks there is no drink or other requirement to redeem the coupons. They are fairly easy to get from Bill and he does make himself available.

I'm happy this this subject has received so much attention. However, in spite of all the attention here our coupon sales have not increased much. So don't forget this is for a good cause and you can save a little bit of cash on a good pizza at the same time.

Call Bill at 087-302-9830 and let him know where to meet you to sell you a coupon. By the way there is no limit on the number of coupons you want to purchase, Bill will sell you as many as you want to buy.

Yes, Nancy, you're right. I should not have called anyone names and it was childish. I apologize. I'll stick to the positive. It's a simple way for the VFW to raise funds. I never said that The Duke's does not make any money on the 250 Baht and while some buy drinks there is no drink or other requirement to redeem the coupons. They are fairly easy to get from Bill and he does make himself available.

You might add that Dukes stands a chance of losing money on the deal with the free water they dispense very readily.

Why bother with this rant - go back and eat the Turkish pizza and let your blood pressure settle down. a low price is not everything, sometimes it is better to pay a little more for quality. Not really interested in the price in Europe as it is irrelevant.

I have been contacted by some asking if the VFW could set up a point where people could go to in order to buy their Duke's pizza coupon. Bill says he goes to Cafe da L'Amour Right next door to Whole earth restuarant on Sri doan Chi. Close to Pantip Plaza every Tuesdays 9am to 11am and every Thrusdays 9am to 11am. So if you don't have time to set up a meeting with Bill, just show up at the Cafe da L'Amour on the above days and times. Bill is a tall mature man and will be wearing a VFW ballcap.

I'll send you the google map for the fastest route to the airport. Don't want cold pizza now do we.