Bangkok Pattaya Hospital

luudee

Just talked to a friend who submitted his 70yo wife into BKK-PTT on Monday Morning 2 a.m. suffering from a major heart attack.

Until now, the bill has added up until a whopping THB 581,000:

- 4 days ICU @ THB 60,000

- emergency operation and placement of 2 stents @ THB ?????

- 4 days of medical treatment and kind words of doctors and nurses.

I'm sorry OP.........for me BKK-PTT is still a freakin' moneymaking machine and the company-lawyer will have a case added to his list.

THB 581, 000 is not "whopping" by any stretch of the imagination...go and get a stent done at a private hosptial in the US...you will be paying anywhere between US $30,000 and US$ 50,000 or go and get it done in a private hosptial in the UK and you will be looking at between GBP 10,000 and GBP 15,000....so it would appear what your friend paid is comparable with UK prices and cheaper than the US prices

Having used the Bangkok group of hosptials over many years, including BPH.. service is as good as or better than some of the hosptials I have been in, in so called 1st world countries..

I suspect most the naysayers on TV have come from the nanny state and are used to free/discounted medical treatment and expect the same in Thailand at a private hosptial...rolleyes.gif

I have to agree, the price is high but not out of ordinary.

I too had a surgery at BHB and it was expansive for Thai standards but much cheaper comparing to the rest of the Western World.

The care, in my opinion was actually much better than back in Oz, for starters the nurse did not look like a man :)

I was in for 2 days, 350 000 baht, had a great room, with extra bed for the guest, nurse checked up on me every 20 mins or so, they helped me shower(was a problem though, as i wanted the younger nurse to help, but older one insisted she would-haha)

All in all positive experience from the hospital point of view.

Sure, there are cheaper places, but cheapness comes at a price.

Perhaps rooms not as nice, nurses not as well trained or spoken, older equipment, cheaper medication and list goes on.

• Like 1

Just a very simple example of how BKK-PTT works:

On Thursday afternoon, Cardiology and the Consultant predicted that the patient could go home on Friday Afternoon.

On Friday Morning, they made another X-ray, did some tests and Cardiology said.........for whatever reason it's better to stay 2 more days.

The Consultant was surprised, but didn't say much.

The "victims" husband phoned to England, explained the situation to their daughter who is assistant at a cardiology station in a hospital and the daughter came up with some technical questions to be asked to the cardiologist.

The cardiologist immediately backed off and decided within a minute that she could be released on Thursday Afternoon as planned.

Please stop comparing US and UK hospitals and hospital-costs here; the topic is about BKK-PTT Hospital.

Once more it has been proven that BKK-PTT is just a money making machine and a total ripp-off!!

Anyway, all medical files, all bills and a detailed report of the stay from admittance until release will be send to the lawyer.

If you agree on such excessive costs, knowing that it can be done for half, please be me guest and keep up paying.

• Like 2

I agree with joepattaya1961 !

BPH is a Thai hospital in Thailand run by Thais, so it should not be compared to hospitals in your home country.

And compared to other Thai hospitals BPH is way overpriced.

I know one cannot put a price on one's health but paying exorbitant prices is not going to help you.

Just my 2 cents

Yermanee wai.gif

BPH is a Thai hospital in Thailand run by Thais, so it should not be compared to hospitals in your home country.

I know one cannot put a price on one's health but paying exorbitant prices is not going to help you.

Just my 2 cents

Yermanee wai.gif

Yes but almost all doctors at BH are with education over seas, and all their equipment is top notch, while cheaper hospitals are totally opposite, where a large number of doctors can not even speak English

Just my 2 cents

Yermanee wai.gif

Yes but almost all doctors at BH are with education over seas, and all their equipment is top notch, while cheaper hospitals are totally opposite, where a large number of doctors can not even speak English

So are you saying that only doctors that have studied overseas are qualified ?

That's a strange thing to say.

And as far as not speaking English is concerned that doesn't bother me in the least. I've taken the trouble to learn the local lingo.

BTW you do know that all the doctors at BPH do not only work at BPH but at other hospitals as well including Queen Sirikit in Sattahip, Phya Tai in Sri Racha etc. etc. and as Mobi has testified the top cardiologist in Thailand works in a Government hospital in Bangkok.

I do understand that you are quite happy with BPH, but don't expect others to feel the same.

Good to know they have adapted to a better and more open policy, but they won't see any of my money and that's my choice.

A lesser crook is still a crook.

Enough said

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents

Yermanee wai.gif

And as far as not speaking English is concerned that doesn't bother me in the least. I've taken the trouble to learn the local lingo.

BTW you do know that all the doctors at BPH do not only work at BPH but at other hospitals as well including Queen Sirikit in Sattahip, Phya Tai in Sri Racha etc. etc. and as Mobi has testified the top cardiologist in Thailand works in a Government hospital in Bangkok.

I do understand that you are quite happy with BPH, but don't expect others to feel the same.

Good to know they have adapted to a better and more open policy, but they won't see any of my money and that's my choice.

Enough said

Yermanee wai.gif

What i am saying is that the ones who studied overseas did actually study and did not just buy their grades, it also means they have a broader knowledge.

In regards to speaking Thai, i am sorry but you really make me laugh.

It is almost certain that everyone on Thai Visa speaks fluent enough Thai.

I have been living here for over 10 years now, run a business, went to school and i would not call myself "speaking lingo" Yes i can get by, but thats about as far as i will go.

In all my time here, i have met countless "fluent" speakers, who considered saying 2 words in Thai in a sentence of 10 words is speaking fluent Thai

Anyhow, about Doctors working elsewhere, this has already been discussed on another thread,so no point going into it.

If public and "cheap" system was as good as you making it out to be, the expansive hospitals would be out of business, NOT opening more branches.

You do not need to be happy with BHP, because no one is forcing you to use it, as i mentioned you can go to a public hospital. Those who want fast service from skilled professionals happy to pay.

Surely if i had a flue, i would not be going to BHP, but for surgery i would never go public, especially in Thailand, but again thats me, you do not have to feel same way.

Calling BHP crooks is simply silly, only because in your opinion its expansive for you.

Ferrari cost 10 -20 times more than a toyota,5 star hotels cost 5 times more than 3 star hotels. Hospital is no different, you pay for what you get.

• Like 2

I saw the same doctor at Queen Sirikit for 1/10th the price of what they charge at the big hospitals here in Pattaya. Same doc.

Just because a doc works at BPH doesn't mean they are the best. As Mobi pointed out, his was the best and he worked at a government hospital. The government hospitals are some of the best in Thailand. And offer the best value for your money. If you can deal with the wait times.

As for having a choice, that's not always possible. If you are brought in during an emergency, you might not have a choice. That's where you'll get stuck with big fees at the big private hospitals.

The best hospitals are in Bangkok.

I saw the same doctor at Queen Sirikit for 1/10th the price of what they charge at the big hospitals here in Pattaya. Same doc.

Just because a doc works at BPH doesn't mean they are the best. As Mobi pointed out, his was the best and he worked at a government hospital. The government hospitals are some of the best in Thailand. And offer the best value for your money. If you can deal with the wait times.

As for having a choice, that's not always possible. If you are brought in during an emergency, you might not have a choice. That's where you'll get stuck with big fees at the big private hospitals.

The best hospitals are in Bangkok.

Strange, i think it is a free for all with all the hospitals, a friend of mine was in Queen Sirikit hospital in ICU and he was charged more than twice the daily rate of what the OP of this thread posted, i was thinking the charges the OP mentioned were very reasonable!, i guess you need to negotiate with any of them as hard as you can - but obviously during an emergency that may not always be possible.

Edit again.... Sorry, it was not the OP's costs i was meaning, it was joepattaya1961 i was referring to, the prices he was quoting seemed very light to have any complaint.

Edit to add....I heard that the Queen Sirikit hospital now has signs up in the reception saying that foreigners will be charged more than Thai nationals?

Edited by LennyW

Just my 2 cents

Yermanee wai.gif

Enough said

Yermanee wai.gif

What i am saying is that the ones who studied overseas did actually study and did not just buy their grades, it also means they have a broader knowledge.

In regards to speaking Thai, i am sorry but you really make me laugh.

It is almost certain that everyone on Thai Visa speaks fluent enough Thai.

I have been living here for over 10 years now, run a business, went to school and i would not call myself "speaking lingo" Yes i can get by, but thats about as far as i will go.

In all my time here, i have met countless "fluent" speakers, who considered saying 2 words in Thai in a sentence of 10 words is speaking fluent Thai

Anyhow, about Doctors working elsewhere, this has already been discussed on another thread,so no point going into it.

If public and "cheap" system was as good as you making it out to be, the expansive hospitals would be out of business, NOT opening more branches.

You do not need to be happy with BHP, because no one is forcing you to use it, as i mentioned you can go to a public hospital. Those who want fast service from skilled professionals happy to pay.

Surely if i had a flue, i would not be going to BHP, but for surgery i would never go public, especially in Thailand, but again thats me, you do not have to feel same way.

Calling BHP crooks is simply silly, only because in your opinion its expansive for you.

Ferrari cost 10 -20 times more than a toyota,5 star hotels cost 5 times more than 3 star hotels. Hospital is no different, you pay for what you get.

You do seem intend on attacking someone who does not agree with you.

I'm 77 have lived here for over 26 years and do know a thing or two about things in Thailand.

I've called them crooks because in my opinion that's exactly what they are,

I was here when they opened the BPH.

At first it was a welcome alternative to the then local hospitals such as PIH and Memorial.

But gradually with the expansion of the buildings and services greed took over, to the point that people died because of their refusal to treat them for lack of financial guarantees and that in my book can never be forgiven.

End of.

Yermanee wai.gif

cheesy.gif Are you friends with KerryK by any chance? he is 80, been here for 100 years, also knew it all, also married a young Chinese from a hi -so family, knew everything and even managed to get 100% bank loan in his name to buy land and build a house, naturally also spoke fluent Thai(not sure what happened to him, he stopped to post)

I was not attacking but simply posting the obvious

I guess your rationale is very logical, they are crooks because you think sorolleyes.gif

So following your logic, i guess you are an ....... because i think so???thumbsup.gif

cheesy.gif Are you friends with KerryK by any chance? he is 80, been here for 100 years, also knew it all, also married a young Chinese from a hi -so family, knew everything and even managed to get 100% bank loan in his name to buy land and build a house, naturally also spoke fluent Thai(not sure what happened to him, he stopped to post)

I was not attacking but simply posting the obvious

I guess your rationale is very logical, they are crooks because you think sorolleyes.gif

So following your logic, i guess you are an ....... because i think so???thumbsup.gif

You have just proven my point.

Yermanee

On the issue of doctors' education: the doc who screwed my leg back together about half a year ago was Thai educated. Did a top notch job and is working full time at a government hospital. I consider myself lucky that he was on duty at the other international hospital in town the day I had my accident.

I have had mixed experiences at BPH. Had some dental work done there which was fantastic. I am prone to minor ear infections, have been all my life. Had this treated at BPH, long story short ended up with 70% hearing loss in one ear.

Edited by canman

• 6 months later...

Potentially libellous post removed:

6) Not to post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.Defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

Very good hospital, my daughter was born there and have no real complaints, oh and it is very clean too.

My only critisism is the doctors fee malake...for example when you take your child to have a vaccination each and every time they insist that the doctor see the child, total waste of time...but they won't let them just go straight in to have the vaccination...makes my blood boil.

PS: I won't be re-visiting this thread as no dount it is engilfed with the usual suspects slagging the place off.

Just my 2 cents

Yermanee wai.gif

Well I'm from the UK and the hospitals there are shocking....would much rather be holed up in a hospial here (I have insurance)

History....10 years ago I had a damaged disc removed from my neck in a UK private hospital. No problems at all since then but for about 4 weeks now I've been having bad pain at night on my neck and shoulder.

I decided to get some advice and discounted BPH from my research and options because of previous experience and threads such as this regarding cost and overpricing.

After some research I found a neurosurgeon who visits Pattaya Memorial on the first Wednesday of each month, and saw him on appointment last Wednesday for advice. Apparently he works at a Government hospital in Sriracha full time. He prescribed three lots of tablets for me and wouldn't accept that I could buy at a pharmacy outside. I knew the main tablet was available elsewhere. He was certain that I would be pain free within 2 days....I was doubtful... and after 5 days I still had the same pain. His cost was 800 baht. Total bill with medication was 2,950 baht. I asked about three tiered pricing at the hospital as I was afraid I would be charged tourist price. The cashiers and reception management were reticent about any information until I asked them the direct question "Have I been charged tourist rate?" to which the answer was "Yes". The next day surprisingly I received a call saying that henceforth I would be charged resident falang price, but no discount on the original bill. That was after really pressing them and getting the name of the lady who was going to "ask my boss" and call me back.

Yesterday I went to BPH in order to see a neurologist or neurosurgeon. On the way there I was full of negative emotions and prepared for an expensive bill. On reaching the reception desk in the appropriate department I was told that I had to have a blood pressure test. I declined and the receptionist just shrugged her shoulders when I said "peng" i.e "expensive". The lady doctor I saw was extremely good. I asked her about levels of cost i.e. tourist price vs. resident falang vs. Thai prices, and she was a little taken aback but asked her nurse to find out. The nurse confirmed price levels and I was told that I would be charged resident falang price. The doc said she thought I should have an MRI, but booked me in for an ordinary x-ray after I asked about the price of the MRI (neck and shoulder 14,000 baht). She advised me to take some "new on the market" tablets and come back to see her in two weeks. I asked her if I could buy outside and she was quite happy to write down the name of the medicine for me. Overall, a good experience....total cost 750 baht. The tablets I bought at Fascino though, were about 100 baht each. Last night I had the best pain free sleep for maybe 4 weeks.

My conclusion is BPH seems to have a new, different attitude. Well done! Hope it continues!

steady on man

i know from experience that posting positive things about BPH on TV can be damaging to your health

best put your tin hat on and dig in...

Was there for a knee operation 2 year ago everything okay stuff and doctors very friendly and helpfully ! Only the food quality was terrible!

I had an operation for a rupture,the food was amazing,and they gave my gf food too,it was steak and chips,huge platefuls too.Obviously it was put on the bill,but very happy with bp hospital,especialy if one has private insurance