Rimping Express At Mae Hia Market

Mekong Bob

The sign says opening 18th March. I drive by it everyday but didn't notice the construction. Will have to look closer next time.

Two things here:

1. Mae Hia market: More shops, more apartments, less parking. They've just taken away a dozen car parking spaces near the food place. Now isn't that typical? Haven't they just done the same thing at Central Airport Plaza - built a whacking great DiY store in the car park. I guess we won't be wasting our time going there any more: ditto Mae Hia. No parking!!!

2. Sure Rimping's current shop in Kad Farang will close, but if you look at the large billboard, they're building a larger and better one to replace it. Presumably a seamless operation.

The sign says opening 18th March. I drive by it everyday but didn't notice the construction. Will have to look closer next time.

Two things here:

1. Mae Hia market: More shops, more apartments, less parking. They've just taken away a dozen car parking spaces near the food place. Now isn't that typical? Haven't they just done the same thing at Central Airport Plaza - built a whacking great DiY store in the car park. I guess we won't be wasting our time going there any more: ditto Mae Hia. No parking!!!

2. Sure Rimping's current shop in Kad Farang will close, but if you look at the large billboard, they're building a larger and better one to replace it. Presumably a seamless operation.

billboard? what billboard? please tell us what you saw at Kat Farang!

A photo of the billboard would be good - so we can all have fun trying to interpret the intentions of the supermarket . . .

Two things here:

No, no, you see that all wrong. It's an ancient tradition that fresh market areas shall not have adequate parking. That's why from Mae Rim to Hang Dong traffic doesn't have more than half a lane available to squeeze past a market. Also Kad Luang, Kad Thanin, Ton Payom, Sanpakhoi, Chiang Mai Gate, and everywhere else.

What you're suggesting is highly un-Thai Western strip-mall thinking. We're not having any of that. Mae Hia should strive to become a traditional local market area, which implies a complete zoo, traffic-wise.

Try Central Festival when it opens.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think the bank will open March 18th, but Rimping is "soon".

You're correct, I just scanned the date and missed the reo reo ni at the end. But I was also wondering about parking there and have never actually gone to that market in the last few years due to what appears to be a nightmare.

Pity. The development is spoiling an otherwise lovely market that has seen improvements over the 3 years I've been shopping there. Nice friendly merchants with excellent produce. You can now get ripe Thai avocados, radishes, celery, lemons and most anything else you need. Rimping is for poseurs.

• 6 months later...

No, no, you see that all wrong. It's an ancient tradition that fresh market areas shall not have adequate parking. That's why from Mae Rim to Hang Dong traffic doesn't have more than half a lane available to squeeze past a market. Also Kad Luang, Kad Thanin, Ton Payom, Sanpakhoi, Chiang Mai Gate, and everywhere else.

Yesterday Kad Thanin did not have one car parked in front of the food court building and the fresh market was so clean and clutter free. True I happened to be watching Masterchef on tv but it was nice to see a bit of our home town on the telly. They even called Chiang Mai the food capital of Thailand, just another title to put in our cap!

sign says will open October 3rd - that's one week from today. do you belive it?

The sign is back? I thought they changed their minds about opening there.

(Maybe due to parking concerns)

Parking is brutal there, and the road design there is AWFUL for the congestion, add to that the fact that some people want to proceed as fast as possible, there will be some pretty bad accidents there regularly.

Two things here:

What you're suggesting is highly un-Thai Western strip-mall thinking. We're not having any of that. Mae Hia should strive to become a traditional local market area, which implies a complete zoo, traffic-wise.

Try Central Festival when it opens.

Yep! biggrin.png

Looks like i quit at the wrong time---tho not happy to see my recipes they "promised" they wouldnt use IE "steal" when i left...post-4641-1156694005.gif

Can someone own recipes?

If you were employed as a chef and showed the staff how to cook certain items for sale it would be strange to assume that they can not continue to make and sell the items if you leave? Surely they have designed packaging, lables, bar codes, pricing perhaps bought equipment etc....

According to a senior member of staff at Meechok Rimping, Mae Hia will open on Friday 04 October as another Rimping "Grocery" brand.

The Grocery is a downscaled model of the main Rimping supermarkets, stocks the same upscale products at the same prices, but is obviously restricted in volume and variety due to the smaller size of the shop units.

They are not therefore the same as 'Express' Tescos, nor remotely similar to 7-Elevens, which stock only the fastest-selling household basics. In that way they are really quite valuable additions to our shopping options.

I'm also told that another Rimping Grocery will open at Maya Mall, on Huay Kaew Road, just up from the Rincome/Superhighway intersection, late this year or early 2014 - a handy location for Nimmanhaemin and Huay Kaew residents.

This will make at total of four Groceries (JJ Market, Star Avenue, Mae Hia and Maya Mall) and four Supermarkets (Nim City, Nawarat, Meechok and Promenada)

That equals a total of nine Rimpings, from just four, in 2012.

A huge expansion in just one year - let's hope they can survive the competition.

Mae Hia market place is well patronised by farangs.

A mini Rimping will do well in the shopping precinct which has undergone quite a lot of redevelopment ... even had a few more car spaces added!

While the parking situation around the market is pretty dire there is a plus people don't spend much time buying their goods and there is a fair turnover of parking places.

Like Rob I think they will do quite well but am really looking forward to the new store at Kad Farang. With Big C ,Makro , Rimping ,Tesco all south of town we are getting spoilt

According to a senior member of staff at Meechok Rimping, Mae Hia will open on Friday 04 October as another Rimping "Grocery" brand.

The Grocery is a downscaled model of the main Rimping supermarkets, stocks the same upscale products at the same prices, but is obviously restricted in volume and variety due to the smaller size of the shop units.

They are not therefore the same as 'Express' Tescos, nor remotely similar to 7-Elevens, which stock only the fastest-selling household basics. In that way they are really quite valuable additions to our shopping options.

I'm also told that another Rimping Grocery will open at Maya Mall, on Huay Kaew Road, just up from the Rincome/Superhighway intersection, late this year or early 2014 - a handy location for Nimmanhaemin and Huay Kaew residents.

This will make at total of four Groceries (JJ Market, Star Avenue, Mae Hia and Maya Mall) and four Supermarkets (Nim City, Nawarat, Meechok and Promenada)

That equals a total of nine Rimpings, from just four, in 2012.

A huge expansion in just one year - let's hope they can survive the competition.

Correction:

I got it wrong - the opening at Mae Hia is scheduled for THURSDAY 03 OCTOBER - not as 04 October above

Also it should read:

"This will make at total of four Groceries (JJ Market, Star Avenue, Mae Hia and Maya Mall) and five Supermarkets (Kad Farang, Nim City, Nawarat, Meechok and Promenada)"

My apologies!

Edited by jko

Looks like i quit at the wrong time---tho not happy to see my recipes they "promised" they wouldnt use IE "steal" when i left...post-4641-1156694005.gif

Can someone own recipes?

If you were employed as a chef and showed the staff how to cook certain items for sale it would be strange to assume that they can not continue to make and sell the items if you leave? Surely they have designed packaging, lables, bar codes, pricing perhaps bought equipment etc....

I was the one to approach them about a prepared foods dept and it the took them a year to get me work

permit and send me to laos for a visa....then when costing food it appeared that they were simply copying

my recipes to the last ingredient..I asked the boss 3! times about this and said it appeared he was in fact

doing this and would be letting me go after my 2 month trial...he "assured" me this was NOT the case and

that they would NEVER do this..ha..hindsight is 20/20...so he blantanly lied to me 3 times...

When i left i said i would be taking my recipes that i designed and he said fine--i even helped him with

a new menu..upon return a year later, lo and behold guess whats back on the shelves, even to this day

So yes i feel lied to and duped, i made the mistake of taking his word and trusting them-amazing thailand!

And yes i feel a bit upset when im scratching to get by here and i walk in and see my exact recipes there.

As they would have never been there to begin with as i spent weeks trying to contact them with the idea.

It was not our agreement to teach them cooking styles or recipes they requested, these were my ideas.

But thats just me...they kept putting honey in the egg salad after i told them 4 times so they will shoot themselves in the foot..they are cooking too high end dishes now---french style--i couldnt even sell buffalo

chicken as they thought it was "buffalo"..chicken..pesto pasta with shrimp/nope..waldorf salad...arai na???

I could tell you some horror stories in regards to food storage and temps but im sure id just get blocked

• Like 2

Interesting, share what you know-I buy a lot of their pre cooked meals, being a single parent with a permanently ravenous child, and we have not got sick to date- what should I know....... PM me if you can be bothered.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app