Double Glazing?

Rarely seen double glazing being used in condos here which is daft as it is every bit as effective at keeping heat out as it is at keeping it in. Who in his right mind would use single glazing in Europe these days? Good for sound insulation also.

Low build quality and general all-round penny-pinching strikes again, I suppose.

We are having double glazed installed on our house shortly (still under construction). The frames are aluminum and seemed very good quality based on the show models, company is "Win Master" and the office we went to is in ChokChai4 Lat Pla Khoa, but I think they have a few offices.

Our windows are actually laminated (2 bits of glass with plastic sandwiched in the middle). But they also do double glazed with an air gap in the middle. As I understand it air gap is better for sound/heat insulation, but laminated stops robbers better.

Price of an opening window size: 75cm X 145cm with 4mm+4mm laminated glass = 7,500THB

Plus the roll up bug screens: 2,000 THB per window

Edited by dave111223

That's a pretty small window, I just found this company, http://www.pvcwindows-thailand.com/double_glazing.html will have a look at win master

Well obviously they don't sell them only in 1 size cheesy.gif

That is to give you an idea of price.

yeah my mistake I just got the measure about and not that small, cheaper than i expected. Just have to convince the mrs it's not a waste of money! Have you got a contact for them as don;t seem to come up on Google, thanks

Edited by sms747

I'm with K.Jean, unless you like Arctic conditions or have a noise problem I'm not convinced that the benefits will be worth the costs.

We might as well not have windows or doors, they spend 99% of the time open anyway.

Double glazing is a must in most western countries, in Thailand it helps a little.

One full side of my condo is glass. It is single glazed. The amount of heat coming off it is quite amazing, and double-glazing would reduce this substantially. Heat-reflective glass would help also. Proper frames that avoid thermal bridging would also be of huge benefit.

If I owned the place the first thing I would do is replace all the glazing and frames and I suspect that this would pay for itself within two or three years.

In a house less area may be devoted to windows and so the saving would be less, so it does rather depend on the type of building you live in.