Buying Wedding Rings

Aranyrammie

I came to Thailand with three wedding rings. They were from my previous marriages. I had them all in a pocket of my sports jacket. I gave them to bar girls at Nana plaza; kind of like prizes in a box of cracker jacks because they weren't Thai gold. Thai women don't wear wedding rings.

Jesus H Christ. Can you get any more crap out of your mouth?

post-73727-0-39132900-1362398468_thumb.j

Usually treasured and passed down to the next generation, sold only as a last option in case of emergencies.

Been in Thailand a long time?

Yes, very long. But probably in a completely different section of society where there is no need or reason to run to the pawn shop. As i said earlier, this would be common only among the lower economic classes and not unique just to thailand.

Guess I should have married a Hi-So, and move to a different location where I only meet this "different section of society".

Yeah cos there are no women in between the rural poor Thais and their rich, hi-so counterparts, ya see rolleyes.gif

Usually treasured and passed down to the next generation, sold only as a last option in case of emergencies.

Yes, very long. But probably in a completely different section of society where there is no need or reason to run to the pawn shop. As i said earlier, this would be common only among the lower economic classes and not unique just to thailand.

Guess I should have married a Hi-So, and move to a different location where I only meet this "different section of society".

Or don't judge everyone else by the section of society that you did meet !!

Those are your words, not mine. I dont even know if you are married or to whom. I just said that pawning gold is common among all poor (and therefore under educated and under previliged) sections all over, not just in thailand. And btw, the poor are not necessarily loso nor the rich hiso. There are lots of poor but happy people of good character.

The usual crap from the usual people...

We bought Thai gold rings for both of us, my wife is happy to wear her wedding ring.

Because the Thai gold is very soft, and I enjoy DIY in the house, my ring was getting out of shape and scratched. So, whilst we were in the UK, I traded in some 9 carat gold, including my previous wedding ring, and bought a new 9 carat ring for me to wear. Being harder material, it is still round and very little scratched.

Returning to Thailand, I had the intention of selling my Thai gold ring, but, the price of gold had plummeted in the meantime,so I'm still waiting for a substantial increase in the gold price before I sell.

The usual crap from the usual people...

We bought Thai gold rings for both of us, my wife is happy to wear her wedding ring.

Because the Thai gold is very soft, and I enjoy DIY in the house, my ring was getting out of shape and scratched. So, whilst we were in the UK, I traded in some 9 carat gold, including my previous wedding ring, and bought a new 9 carat ring for me to wear. Being harder material, it is still round and very little scratched.

Returning to Thailand, I had the intention of selling my Thai gold ring, but, the price of gold had plummeted in the meantime,so I'm still waiting for a substantial increase in the gold price before I sell.

Hmmmmmmmmm, sorry but crap from A usual people. sad.png Your mrs knows you are wearing crap gold. w00t.gif ..laugh.png

Ooooooooops forgot, AND the Village. cheesy.gif

Edited by transam

I came to Thailand with three wedding rings. They were from my previous marriages. I had them all in a pocket of my sports jacket. I gave them to bar girls at Nana plaza; kind of like prizes in a box of cracker jacks because they weren't Thai gold. Thai women don't wear wedding rings.

Jesus H Christ. Can you get any more crap out of your mouth?

Love this quote,

Thai women don't wear wedding rings.

Maybe more of an indication of the (peasant) class he associates with than the norm.

There are many Thai women wear wedding rings with pride, more of a "face" thing.

• Like 1

The wife and i brought our wedding rings in Thailand. But they were made in Italy, going by the stamp. My wife thinks more of her ring than i think of mine. She says she can't take it off because that is unlucky and it will end are marrage.

Love this quote,

Maybe more of an indication of the (peasant) class he associates with than the norm.

There are many Thai women wear wedding rings with pride, more of a "face" thing.

10 years ago I got a job tutoring Thai doctors at Pattaya Memorial hospital. None of them wore wedding rings. If you think Thai women wear wedding rings that's cool. After you have lived here for a while you will notice that I'm right; they don't.

Peasant women! Oh pleasesmile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 1

Love this quote,

10 years ago I got a job tutoring Thai doctors at Pattaya Memorial hospital. None of them wore wedding rings. If you think Thai women wear wedding rings that's cool. After you have lived here for a while you will notice that I'm right; they don't.

Peasant women! Oh please:)

What TF has,

I got a job tutoring Thai doctors at Pattaya Memorial hospital.

Got to do with the price of fish in Bangladesh?

After you have lived here for a while

How long is " a while"?

Plenty of Thai women round my way wear a wedding band, your problem is your judgement may be clouded by the fact you were in Pattaya, no he aint heavy he is my brother, jing jing na ka.

• Like 1

Love this quote,

What TF has,

How long is " a while"?

Plenty of Thai women round my way wear a wedding band, your problem is your judgement may be clouded by the fact you were in Pattaya, no he aint heavy he is my brother, jing jing na ka.

I thought it was obvious. Doctors are not lo so types. Most doctors that I taught 10 years ago didn't wear wedding bands.

What percent of Thai women who live in Thailand wear wedding bands? 10% , 5%? Get real.

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 1

I dont know any jeweler that will do a ring in pure gold. its too soft. scratches too easily, and cannot hold a setting.

so the best answer is

DONT DO IT at ALL!

What, you nuts? Havent you read the stories on here?blink.png

Just to be clear, I'm a recent divorcee. whistling.gif

My views maybe slightly skewed, but deadly clear!wai.gif

Edited by jamhar

Love this quote,

What TF has,

How long is " a while"?

I thought it was obvious. Doctors are not lo so types. Most doctors that I taught 10 years ago didn't wear wedding bands.

What percent of Thai women who live in Thailand wear wedding bands? 10% , 5%? Get real.

I have no idea, you are the one who stated,

Do you actually live in Thailand?

Who mentioned Doctors, most doctors I have spoken to here speak better English than native English speakers

What hospital were you teaching at, not "the clinic" in Pattaya was it?

I bought my thai girl a fake diamond and gold ring on ebay from china. It cost AUD$12.70 including postage.

It is hallmarked (fake) for 18 carat.

My girl is none the wiser and I am none the poorer...

The ring is now 3 years old and still in great condition...

When we go away...my girl likes to store it in my safe so no one can steal it....

If you do want to buy a genuine ring...make sure it is 18 carat gold and has gem stones set in it.

Thai gold shops will not generally purchase an 18 carat ring as they are not used to dealing with non thai gold. They also don't know what value to place on the gemstones.

Of course there would be nothing stopping your girl from selling the ring for a few hundred baht to one of the dead beat guys in her village...should some pressing matter...such as the jungle lottery...arise

I recommend you check out the Jewellery Trade Centre on Silom road next to the Holiday Inn. Jewellery at trade prices, cheaper than the high mark-up jewellery shops elsewhere.

Note most businesses in the JTC follow normal hours i.e. about 10.00 to 5.00 mon-fri

I'd recommend the same place. Where I buy all my jewelry. Just like anywhere else buyer beware. A lot of very reputable stores and a few that are not. You can also get anything you buy checked, valued, and certified at several appraisers there.

First, one must ask is the lady in question Thai?

If she is Thai, only Thai gold will do.

If she is Thai, remember she will attach no sentimental value to the ring.

In other words, first time she is short of cash, it get's sold.

As CC says, you want her to keep it, buy silver.

PS

Exchange of wedding rings is not a Thai custom, they don't do it, and they rarely wear them.

Young Thai's often give rings now. Have a look in the malls.

Except my wife wanted platinum.

She understands well the importance we in the west put to our rings.

Not easy, neigh impossible I bet to pawn a platinum ring at fair price

For all your ramblings Tommo you are more often wrong than right.

Your cynicism often just reads as churlish and petulent.

Love this quote,

Yeah, middle aged Thai men with money don't like to explain to the karoke girls they are married - but F it eh? Dampens the fun.

So CMK that would make these guys about 55 minimum today yes?

Young people getting married in Bangkok very often have rings.

Since when could Pattaya be used as a normal gauge for anything anyway?

The older Chinese I often see wearing rings, maybe its the Christian influence.

Some extremely sad and sarcastic comments coming from people who have probably never had any good experiences so they see only the negatives. In most asian countries, gold is always given in marraiges in jewellery form. Usually treasured and passed down to the next generation, sold only as a last option in case of emergencies.

It is of course different in the poor (and hence undereducated, underpreviliged) sections of society where it may get sold soon after marraige for a bottle of alcohol (sold by the husband).

But that would then confirm "Thai man no good husband"

Love this quote,

10 years I was teaching doctors who worked at Pattaya Memorial hospital. They were married and not peasants and didn't wear wedding rings as most people in Thailand don't wear wedding rings. It is not a Thai custom to wear wedding bands.

Gee, you must be old...you are repeating yourself in writing (as opposed to talking)

I tell people that if I start repeating myself, for goodness sake tell me, it's a real sign of getting old.

- buy a Thai gold ring

- don't she will see it

- hiso don't sell the rings

- doctors don't wear rings

- yes they do

- no they don't

- but loso will sell

- not if you buy fake

- my wife wears wedding rings

- mine does not

- ... (to be continued endlessly...)

blink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.png

anybody ever thought about telling the OP that wearing wedding rings and the decision what and where to buy is a completely individual decision?

anybody ever thought about the fact that whether or not to wear and / or sell is a completely individual decision?

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

10 years I was teaching doctors who worked at Pattaya Memorial hospital. They were married and not peasants and didn't wear wedding rings as most people in Thailand don't wear wedding rings. It is not a Thai custom to wear wedding bands.

Thats like saying its not Thai custom to eat at McDonalds... Yet we see many Thai's there... Customs, Traditions and Culture are not fixed, rather they evolve and are in a constant state of development. It might be accurate to suggest that 100 years ago Thai's didn't wear wedding rings, but today that generalisation is simply to broad...

The fact of the matter is, many do, many don't and each situation is individual...

- buy a Thai gold ring

- don't she will see it

- hiso don't sell the rings

- doctors don't wear rings

- yes they do

- no they don't

- but loso will sell

- not if you buy fake

- my wife wears wedding rings

- mine does not

- ... (to be continued endlessly...)

blink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.png

anybody ever thought about telling the OP that wearing wedding rings and the decision what and where to buy is a completely individual decision?

anybody ever thought about the fact that whether or not to wear and / or sell is a completely individual decision?

coffee1.gif

Yes - In Post # 12.....

Op: Your situation is as individual as anyone else's and only you can know whether your Wife will mirror the symbolic value you place on a Wedding Ring.

Thats like saying its not Thai custom to eat at McDonalds... Yet we see many Thai's there... Customs, Traditions and Culture are not fixed, rather they evolve and are in a constant state of development. It might be accurate to suggest that 100 years ago Thai's didn't wear wedding rings, but today that generalisation is simply to broad...

The fact of the matter is, many do, many don't and each situation is individual...

1. I have never heard a Thai say it's not a Thai custom to eat at McDonalds. 2. There are many Thai style dishes at McDonalds because it is a McDonalds tradition to make money. 3. 90% of Thais don't wear wedding rings can also be worded, Thais don't wear wedding rings. The fact of the matter is not many Thais wear wedding rings which is odd seeing how much Thai women like gold.