How Do You Insulate A Naked Roof / Ceiling?

What I am trying to do is to insulate a bedroom. It's not my house so no thoughts of a suspended ceiling etc.

post-104736-0-16484700-1362266069_thumb. post-104736-0-87575900-1362266065_thumb.*

So I have a 'bare' roof ... one type where you see the underside of the roof tiles.

To something like this.

92446-stripping-paint-off-exposed-beams-

Not exactly that ... but the best visual I could get off the internet.

So, first I have to fix the water leaks from the roof.

Then I will use an insulation layer directly under the tiles.

But that's ugly to view naked, as are the exposed roof tiles.

So the plan then to place the white Polystyrene sheets as both a visual barrier and an second layer of insulation.

* It's looks pink because of viewing through the mosquito net

• Like 1

Didn't I read somewhere that stuff puts out nasty fumes in a fire.

Must be a better product available than styrofoam?

Yes, could use the cement fibro sheet that they use in bathrooms instead but I have to paint it and has limited insulation qualities.

But it's not my house, but want to repair the room where my gf lives at the Family Farm until we build in a few years time.

try these guys they did 3 of my homes

http:/xxx.lohr-trade.com/

kind of pricey but well worth the money

In an ideal world, a great solution ... but not really an option for me.

Cheers though and thanks for the reply.

After you fix the leaks. You could use the insulation rolls and then box it in with gypsum board and finsh with wood strips.

I was told that rats and snaked love Polystyrene. I was going to hide our suspended ceiling with a fireproof sheeting of Polystyrene but couldn't find any. Wayne's idea is probably the best solution as regards price and insulation.

• Like 1

After you fix the leaks. You could use the insulation rolls and then box it in with gypsum board and finsh with wood strips.

Yep, was going to use the cover wood strips.

Why gypsum over a cement fibro sheet?

I worry about the roof leaking and affecting the gypsum sheeting

Well you need to fix the roof first, wet insulation won't insulate. Judging by your foto you can then easily fix reflective foil to the underside of the beams, use tape to join the gaps. This should keep out any residual leaking water / water vapour. Bung up fibre glass insulation, R15 or higher, finish off with fibro cement sheets, MAKING SURE that they don't contain asbestos. Or gypsum (heavy).

• Like 1

Well you need to fix the roof first, wet insulation won't insulate. Judging by your foto you can then easily fix reflective foil to the underside of the beams, use tape to join the gaps. This should keep out any residual leaking water / water vapour. Bung up fibre glass insulation, R15 or higher, finish off with fibro cement sheets, MAKING SURE that they don't contain asbestos. Or gypsum (heavy).

If I were to use the foil backed insulation ... should the foil be facing the tiles or facing the floor?

I presume that was meant to be R1.5 Insulation batts?

The fibro cement sheets do look like a serious option to finish off with as they won't sag, are paintable, fireproof and generally inert.

Was looking at cheaper options and don't wish to over think this.

Foil should face the floor. But as stated earlier if you don't fix the leaks first whatever you do it will be a disaster since there is no crawl space to go in and do it later!!!

• Like 1

Yep, was going to use the cover wood strips.

Why gypsum over a cement fibro sheet?

I worry about the roof leaking and affecting the gypsum sheeting

Once you fix the leaks, turn your hose on and water test it. If it ever does leak you can always patch the gypsum. Cheap and easy.

The foil needs to face the living space, no?

I honestly don't know.

Logic for me would be that the foil faces the roof tiles as the idea is to reflect the heat back.

But I'm guessing ...

I think you will get condensation trapped in the area between the foil and drywall installed that way.

You need to keep the moisture off the drywall so foil against drywall is the way to go. No?

This may not apply in a tropical climate?

Edited by DiNiro

The foil needs to face the living space, no?

I honestly don't know.

Logic for me would be that the foil faces the roof tiles as the idea is to reflect the heat back.

But I'm guessing ...

I think you will get condensation trapped in the area between the foil and drywall installed that way.

You need to keep the moisture off the drywall so foil against drywall is the way to go. No?

This may not apply in a tropical climate?

No dry walls here!

Roof tiles ...

Could you view the opening photo. It's bare, naked roof tiles.

Or maybe I'm not understanding your reply?

It is very important that there is air circulation in the enclosed area, otherwise there will be moisture build up which will eventually damage the wooden rafters. The ends of the roofing should either remain open or have plastic vents installed before putting on the facia board (To keep out birds and other varmits). If the roof was a flat plywood roof with shingles (not your type) you should install baffels prior to installing the insulation. This is common practise in the US where you have a catherdral ceiling.

Since you have the corrigated concrete roof panels, it is very important the the leaks are fixed befor you do anything else. My roof is installed using "C" brackets that require that they be accessable from both the inside and out side if a panel needs to be replaced. So once you close it in if you have to replace a broken panel it's a real problem. I have drop ceilings in my house and have had to replace many panels over the past 14 years. My Gazebo and FIL's house has gypsum ceilings and I had to install acess doors after the first panel broke to gain access, but there is still and "attic". If I had catherdral ceilings I would have had to remove part of the ceiling to gain access to replace the panel.

Properly insulated drop ceilings are good if you have airconditioning, but do trap the heat since ther is no place for the hot air to vent as it rises. Just my 2 cents worth from past experiences.

• Like 1

I have put some thought into this. I honestly think trees are the answer, properly placed. A good understanding of the sun and its movements would be important for placing them properly. We do get more southerly exposure here, but we are south of the tropic of cancer, so after a certain point we also get the north facings exposed. Anything else is just totally undoable imo. Then there is what type of tree species to use, haven't researched that yet. Of course it would not be immediate as well, but well worth the investment.

Edited by isawasnake

Thanks for that and, in the right circumstances, that would be a great suggestion.

I'm all in favour of environmental solutions ... I did the environmental display house for the government where I worked.

However, in this circumstances ... it won't be a practical solution.

It's a 2 story house with the bedroom in question on the upper level.

It's not my place. There are no trees on the property that aren't fruit producing.

Must be done in the next 6 months.

Thanks for your thoughts ...

• Like 1