Cost To Run Outside Lights All Night For Security

ROBINPATTAYA

Hi all,

This may seem trivial but can anyone tell me the approx. cost to run say a 15 watt energy saver type (equiv. to 75 watt) globe all night.

There are 6 around my house & as I have been robbed previously, I was thinking about leaving them on all night, say for 12 hours.

Please don't say the cost is less than the robbery, I already know that but that horse has bolted.

It is an interesting calculation regardless I think.

Thanks

With all that lighting, it will attract burglars to your house like moths to a light. They'll wonder at how much gold you have in the house that you need to have all this security. Then they'll break in during the daytime when you go out.

I do have security armed on every window & door that rings my phone if set off.

Theives are opportunists & rarely plan a robbery with any detail.

I live in a village with guards & security card access, that & daylight should be enough to stop a daylight robbery.

The guards are probably the cause of most robberies in Pattaya Villages.

The best defence is light & sound I believe, oh, and a savage rottweiller on a strict diet...

As others have pointed out, lighting is fairly economical. For us, the hot water heater is the costly appliance, even more so than air conditioning.

I keep the inside lights on when we are gone as I have a MacBook running Security Spy software using USB cameras. ( http://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/ ) It has motion detection capability so it only records video when there is movement. I designated a Flash Drive that is attached to my desk and hard to remove for my video storage. It is a very impressive set up with all kinds of nifty features. All our neighbors say there is no crime in our area but since our place is rather isolated, I hate taking chances.

I have sensor lights around my place and they come on for 30 seconds. If there is still movement during this time the sensor picks it up and they stay on until movement stops.

I also have a timer set up in the house that comes on and off through the night,just lion enough as if you were heading to the toilet and back. At least they will think someone is at home.

Another good deterrent if you have not thought of it, is if you have a car with an alarm on it, normally they have a panic button on the ignition key. If you are sure someone is there at night, or during the day for that matter, press the button and they will scamper off and the neighbours will hear it as well.

We have lights all around at night as do our neighbours ,we also have alarms on all doors and windows , all our neighbours have two dogs that bark at the slightest bloody thing , so come on make my wifes day cause she has a gun ,so does our neighbour who chased the last guy down the street shooting at him (i kid you not) he is now in prison ,that is the guy he was chasing ,the lights by the way cost very little.

I have sensor lights around my place and they come on for 30 seconds. If there is still movement during this time the sensor picks it up and they stay on until movement stops.

I also have a timer set up in the house that comes on and off through the night,just lion enough as if you were heading to the toilet and back. At least they will think someone is at home.

Another good deterrent if you have not thought of it, is if you have a car with an alarm on it, normally they have a panic button on the ignition key. If you are sure someone is there at night, or during the day for that matter, press the button and they will scamper off and the neighbours will hear it as well.

And they will say, without moving their head away from the Thai soap their watching, when our neighbour gonne fix his <deleted> alarm. biggrin.png

I have 32 lights around the walls of my property, in the communal entrance drive there are street lamps, there is a guard, and I have 2 dogs......

But I still would not be surprised if someone tried to break-in

We have lights all around at night as do our neighbours ,we also have alarms on all doors and windows , all our neighbours have two dogs that bark at the slightest bloody thing , so come on make my wifes day cause she has a gun ,so does our neighbour who chased the last guy down the street shooting at him (i kid you not) he is now in prison ,that is the guy he was chasing ,the lights by the way cost very little.

I have 32 lights around the walls of my property, in the communal entrance drive there are street lamps, there is a guard, and I have 2 dogs......

Wow.

I'm just glad I live in a condo.

Wow.

But the gated villages are perfectly safe and buying a "shoebox" condo doesn't make any sense :cheesy:

>We have lights all around at night as do our neighbours ,we also have alarms on all doors and windows , all our neighbours have two dogs that bark at the slightest bloody thing , so come on make my wifes day cause she has a gun ,so does our neighbour who chased the last guy down the street shooting at him (i kid you not) he is now in prison ,that is the guy he was chasing ,the lights by the way cost very little.

Wow.

We are all glad you live in a condo too, please keep on posting in every thread telling us how happy you are about it., reading about it is not getting tiresome at all.

• Like 1

We are all glad you live in a condo too, please keep on posting in every thread telling us how happy you are about it., reading about it is not getting tiresome at all.

I wasn't aware that I was obliging you to read my posts.

When I read a catalogue of security nightmares such as those posted above, it just reminds me how lucky I am and I like to share the joy.