jonwilly

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sad.png

Don't know what to say, really. I hope that does not mean........

If this becomes the next Phuket, Koh Chang, Pattaya, etc.....I'm outta here.

I`m afraid it does.

This is the end of life in Chiang Mai as we know it and now the Russians are boldly going, where no Russians have boldly gone before.

I have decided to drop my Thai language course and have taken up Russian instead. I mean, we have to keep up with the majority, don`t we?

Edited by Beetlejuice

Seems like alot of ignorant responses...if you read the news on a daily basis, regarding Pattaya and Phuket, you would know the Russian mafia has taken over numerous businesses (massage, bars, travel, etc) and they are very ruthless in their business dealings. If they move into Chiang Mai it would be disasterous....but I'm leaving anyway.

Can't say I like the idea of Russians showing up, but I cannot say either that I like the Anglo-Saxons, in all their various world-conquering forms, showing up either. Or any of the other Europeans. And so on and so forth.

• Like 2

Can't say I like the idea of Russians showing up, but I cannot say either that I like the Anglo-Saxons, in all their various world-conquering forms, showing up either. Or any of the other Europeans. And so on and so forth.

Must ask where you are from. ?

They already are so best all round if you moved on, or, that good ole TV nugget, GO HOME. giggle.gif

Seems like alot of ignorant responses...if you read the news on a daily basis, regarding Pattaya and Phuket, you would know the Russian mafia has taken over numerous businesses (massage, bars, travel, etc) and they are very ruthless in their business dealings. If they move into Chiang Mai it would be disasterous....but I'm leaving anyway.

This is great news.

With all these ex-pats leaving Chiang Mai, there will be no more queues at Immigration.

Would anyone like a lift to the airport?

It makes no difference what nationality they are. Whatever Thai city becomes overwhelmed by farangs it will turn to grot, just like Pattaya and what is now happening in Phuket. I see no difference between Russians and any other Western migrants living in Thailand and neither do the Thais.

For those who plied a lot of resources into getting out of Farangland, I`m afraid that soon, Farangland may come to us.

I am not prejudice against other farangs, only the usually types of undesirables that seem to be plonking themselves here.

post-110219-0-49459700-1362581259_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Let them take over massage parlours, bars and travel etc and be as ruthless as they like.....won't bother me one iota.

Whatever happened to the friendly spirit of multi ethnic Chiang Mai? biggrin.png

• Like 1

Well.... 40 odd replies generally "judging the book by the cover"

not one of you has made the effort to go and check out the new owners.......they may not even be Russian, after all you dont always find an Italian running a pizza shop or a swede doing swedish massage.

Nikolai and his girlfreind khun Ning are probably your average couple like most of us here trying to make a life together.

A nice welcome for them if they decide to become members of Thai visa tomorrow to try and find some general expat info and start by reading the above comments.

stone/cast/first/sin comes to mind....da svedanya

• Like 1

sorta sounds like you guys are members of the KKK. Me, I welcome anyone from any ethnic group as long as they have decent manners and business ethics and i see a lot of fear mongering in this post. Let's wait until they arrive and set up shop before we set up a lynching party to drive them out of town or burn them at the stakes. I would welcome a change from the hamburger/noodle/and British fish and chips and will reserve judgement until i get to know our new neighbors.

• Like 2

Well.... 40 odd replies generally "judging the book by the cover"

not one of you has made the effort to go and check out the new owners.......they may not even be Russian, after all you dont always find an Italian running a pizza shop or a swede doing swedish massage.

Nikolai and his girlfreind khun Ning are probably your average couple like most of us here trying to make a life together.

A nice welcome for them if they decide to become members of Thai visa tomorrow to try and find some general expat info and start by reading the above comments.

stone/cast/first/sin comes to mind....da svedanya

If they are a respectable couple, law abiding business owners and nothing shady, than they certainly deserve a warm welcome to the community of Thai visa members.

As for the those who consider themselves superior to the Russians who if above board have also equal rights to be here the same as us, go and praise your superiority on a mountain, as no one`s interested.

• Like 1

many Russians are warm and caring people actually - have many of you been to Russia? I have many times - this stereotyping wears a bit thin

I was friends with a number of Russians when I lived in Europe and most of them were fine people. I also knew some Russians who had lived in America for many years and were my neighbors when I lived there. They were extremely decent people whom I liked very much. Unfortunately, many of the Russians who come to Thailand on cheap holiday are very poorly behaved, disrespectful, only deal with Russian merchants/travel agents, etc. and cut the local Thais out of making any money from tourism. Most never bothered to take a peek on the Internet or open a book to learn some of the customs here before coming. The same could be said that the Chinese tourists are poorly behaved, although they are less "in your face". Both the Russians and the Chinese are, for the most part, new world travelers and hopefully over time they will become more aware...

I won't even begin to get into the criminal element that some of the Russians bring here.

• Like 1

many Russians are warm and caring people actually - have many of you been to Russia? I have many times - this stereotyping wears a bit thin

I was friends with a number of Russians when I lived in Europe and most of them were fine people. I also knew some Russians who had lived in America for many years and were my neighbors when I lived there. They were extremely decent people whom I liked very much. Unfortunately, many of the Russians who come to Thailand on cheap holiday are very poorly behaved, disrespectful, only deal with Russian merchants/travel agents, etc. and cut the local Thais out of making any money from tourism. Most never bothered to take a peek on the Internet or open a book to learn some of the customs here before coming. The same could be said that the Chinese tourists are poorly behaved, although they are less "in your face". Both the Russians and the Chinese are, for the most part, new world travelers and hopefully over time they will become more aware...

I won't even begin to get into the criminal element that some of the Russians bring here.

Chiang Mai tends to attract the creme de la creme of most nationalities, so it should be no different for Russian visitors wink.png

No, but I have been to Phuket and Koh Chang, does that count?

haha NO! tongue.png

I was lucky to be in Russia over 10 times and have fond memories of Russian people and still have friends there - now if we categorized we don't want Russian MAFIA here that would be entirely different and all would concur

I found Russian's a warm, sensitive and cultured people and nothing like the stereotype which was promoted for decades by the politicians and media in the West mostly through ignorance

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 1