Backpacker Hostels Keeping Records Of Guests

persianpower

backpacker hostels keeping records of guests

Why do you backpacker hostels and guesthouses keep a record of guests' passport numbers and issue/expiry dates?

I have no specific reason for asking, I'm just curious what these businesses do with my personal information after I check out?

Because it's required by law. Your details are passed on to the authorities.

Bcakpacker hostels/hotels, all the same, its required by law as Endure said. I'm not sure they are passed onto authorities so much as they're available records if the authroities need them. For example if you go missing, they will be able to retrace your steps or soemthing. Nothing to get paranoid about, it's just standard procedure.

Just think of it this way. Every Thai has a house registration and an ID card, which is registered with the authorities. As this can't be duplicated with sort term foreigners, hotel/hostel registration for vacationers, or the 90 day reporting requirment for long term visa holders is required.

All hotels/guesthouses/bungalows etc must do so. Feel lucky, apparently in Vietnam they take your passport and turn it into the local police until you leave.

Not really, sbk, in Vietnam they do as in Thailand. You fill in your registration form (or the guy at the front desk does it for you), they compare your (yellow) copy stamped by immigration, your passport number and your visa, if any. That's it.

i've stayed in places that they don't seem to bother. no names but mostly in small places with only 4 rooms etc.

In Egypt, you have to leave your passport at the reception desk.

In Dubai, they photocopy your passport and give it back to you (although some places may try and keep it until you protest).

In Thailand, all I've ever had to do was fill in some details on the hotel form. If I could remember the details well enough, I didn't even have to show my passport.

They can't keep your passport in Thailand, as by law, you are required to have it with you at all times.

(I had to explain this to the Thai girl working in the Canadian Embassy last November. After applying for a new passport, the girl asked if I wanted to leave my old one there until it was time to come back and pick up my new one (two weeks later). I reminder her that it was illegal for me to be without my passport. She just shrugged and said OK.)

Some countries require hotels/guesthouses to inform the police, within 24 hours, of any foreigners staying there.

i've stayed in places that they don't seem to bother. no names but mostly in small places with only 4 rooms etc.

In Egypt, you have to leave your passport at the reception desk.

In Dubai, they photocopy your passport and give it back to you (although some places may try and keep it until you protest).

In Thailand, all I've ever had to do was fill in some details on the hotel form. If I could remember the details well enough, I didn't even have to show my passport.

They can't keep your passport in Thailand, as by law, you are required to have it with you at all times.

(I had to explain this to the Thai girl working in the Canadian Embassy last November. After applying for a new passport, the girl asked if I wanted to leave my old one there until it was time to come back and pick up my new one (two weeks later). I reminder her that it was illegal for me to be without my passport. She just shrugged and said OK.)

Some countries require hotels/guesthouses to inform the police, within 24 hours, of any foreigners staying there.

I am amazed you did not have to surrender your old passport with your application for the new one, you would recieve the old one back with one of the corners cut off when you collected the new passport.

The reciept from the Embassy saying you were waiting for them to issue a new passport would have been just fine should you have had to produce it for the reletive authorities.