Renewing 1 Year "temporary" To 5 Year "full" License (Bangkok)

corkman

Hi All,

My Mrs. phoned up today - all I need is license (both Thai 1 year Temporary and my Irish license), passport, work permit, and medical cert.

I just ready that my 1 year license must already be expired before applying for the 5 year one. Is this true?

Any other information greatly received.

Note, every province/DLT counter agent has a different take on what is required. Where you are living is important to know before anyone can answer your question.

The prevailing opinion in previous threads is that if you let it expire, you have to watch the TV movie on driving in Thailand (and possibly do the driving tests). Before expiry, you just need to pass the vision/reaction tests. But really, get your Mrs to phone again. That's the only (hopefully) sure way to get an answer.

I upgraded from 1-year to 5-year last October at Banglamung (Pattaya), two months after my license expiry. I did the briefest of vision/reaction tests and handed over some baht and presto, 2 fresh licenses.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

if you renew before the expiry or on the day of expiry you can only get 1 year, however if you renew the day after the expiry, you get 5 years.

Makes no sense, but this is how it is.

Also be aware if you are in Pattaya, better to get someone to drive you there, because there is usually a cop right there for this very same reason- most people have expired license :)

if you renew before the expiry or on the day of expiry you can only get 1 year, however if you renew the day after the expiry, you get 5 years.

Also be aware if you are in Pattaya, better to get someone to drive you there, because there is usually a cop right there for this very same reason- most people have expired license smile.png

How long has that been happening? Went twice last year - July and November and never saw any police either in or close to the centre?

Also be aware if you are in Pattaya, better to get someone to drive you there, because there is usually a cop right there for this very same reason- most people have expired license smile.png

How long has that been happening? Went twice last year - July and November and never saw any police either in or close to the centre?

I can not really give any more information than i already did, because last time i renewed mine was a few years ago. I believe he might still be there but timing might be different.

When i i did mine, he was there at 8-30am, a mate of mine was done by the same guy close to 9am.

That location is simply the best, because pretty much every vehicle is without a license

Since last October, I've been there 5-6 times, from early in the morning to just after lunch and never saw a policeman. Doesn't mean there never is one. I can see the rich plucking to be had, though, since many people do arrive and leave without a licence.

Since last October, I've been there 5-6 times, from early in the morning to just after lunch and never saw a policeman. Doesn't mean there never is one. I can see the rich plucking to be had, though, since many people do arrive and leave without a licence.

May be someone complained or the policeman retired and did not give out information on his golden goosegiggle.gif

It was not even like printing money, but more like photocopying it, Keep in mind nearest police station is a distance away, and you there to get your license and what to do it as fast as possible, so you pay and get on with your business.

Would not actually even surprise me if he was a fake cop., just too easy