Alcholics Anonymous In Thailand

homeownership

I have read dozens of posts about farangs that have come to Thailand and because of boredom, frustration and their own personal reasons have sought solace in alcohol.

Although I do enjoy a drink everyday, I by no means are compelled to drink or drink to excess. But it strikes me that the AA may be a good place to meet friends.

I know one of the requirements of joining the AA is to stay sober and I certainly dont want to reign on that parade.

I am looking at things from a different perspective. Lets say a 37 year old turns up in Chiang Mai, goes to a meeting, where he listens to others recant stories about their drinking days and how it ruined their lives. Its strikes me as the last thing that person would do is hit the bottle.

He is being treated as a preventitive measure, rather than as treatment. It is also a good way to meet other ex-pats and make new friends.

Is there any legs in this idea or is it just plain stupid. I am only thinking about how many people could be saved from a life or drinking themselves into an early grave while have the payoff of meeting new people from back home.

What's the worst that could happen? Don't knock it till you've tried it I say.

This reminds me of an evening back at university. My roommate and I decided to attend a sexual addicts anon meeting in the hope of picking up easy tail. Didn't work but was a fun evening and met some characters. I think we were expecting to walk into a room full of beautiful women who were DTF but the reality was more like walking into a pub where the best looking lady is probably 25 years past her sell by date.

Edited by wellred
  • Like 2

Try a couple of open meetings and see if you like the people. Anyone is allowed to attend open meetings.

To attend closed meetings, "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking" Yes, that is an exact quote.

Doesn't say you have to stay sober (though it's strongly suggested). Doesn't even say you have to be an alcoholic, just that you have a desire to stop drinking.

The best friends I have had in the world, I have met in AA meetings. I wandered into an open meeting 24 years ago and liked it... Obviously, there's more to the story, but it's all that simple really.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Try a couple of open meetings and see if you like the people. Anyone is allowed to attend open meetings.

To attend closed meetings, "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking" Yes, that is an exact quote.

Doesn't say you have to stay sober (though it's strongly suggested). Doesn't even say you have to be an alcoholic, just that you have a desire to stop drinking.

The best friends I have had in the world, I have met in AA meetings. I wandered into an open meeting 24 years ago and liked it... Obviously, there's more to the story, but it's all that simple really.

Sadly, there are a quite a few imposters going to AA in Thailand. Usually lonely older guys looking for friends.There are also those who need some kind of counselling but are are too stingy to pay the going rates. There are also ex-heavy drinkers and alcohol abusers who are not alcoholics(alcohol dependents)
AA is not some kind of social club for anyone - it is for alcoholics, who suffer from a progressively fatal disease, which there is no cure. The purpose of AA is to show members how to find a power greater than themselves to help them recover.
It doesn't say that you have to be an alcoholic but it's pretty bloody obvious - the name is Alcoholics Anonymous - the requirement is being an alcoholic AND having a desire to stop drinking.
IMHO, non-alcoholics going to AA meetings weakens the whole organization as only an alcoholic can understand and help another alcoholic. A non-alcoholic doesn't need to work the 12 steps to save his life.
Sure, there are open meetings where drug addicts, sex addicts(not many recovering in this country!), over-eaters, medical personnel, nut-jobs etc are welcome.

AA is not some kind of social club for anyone - it is for alcoholics, who suffer from a progressively fatal disease, which there is no cure. The purpose of AA is to show members how to find a power greater than themselves to help them recover.

which there is no cure

Mmmm. An alcoholic will always be an alcoholic.

But alcoholism can be cured.

In other words, an alcoholic who quits alcohol is still an alcoholic, but he no longer suffers from alcoholism.

which there is no cure

Mmmm. An alcoholic will always be an alcoholic.

But alcoholism can be cured.

In other words, an alcoholic who quits alcohol is still an alcoholic, but he no longer suffers from alcoholism.

No. I haven't drank alcohol for over 10 years but I still suffer from alcoholism. It can be treated but not cured. Alcoholism is a three faceted disease

1. A physical allergy.

2. A mental obsession.

3. A spiritual malady.

Say what you want. "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking"- it's black and white with no grey, no reading between the lines, no asterisks and no qualifiers.

I don't know too many people who have a desire stop drinking for no reason. I do know lots of people who are alcoholics and don't know it yet.

If a guy is considering going to AA, perhaps he belongs. Only he can decide, and only after giving it a try. I didn't consider myself one 24 years ago when I walked in. A few meetings later, I saw that my understanding of alcoholism was a little limited and perhaps I was one. 24 years later, I'm pretty convinced...

As for the people who need counseling and are too poor or stingy to pay, there are a multitude of stories just like those guys in the Big Book. I'll practice my program and I'll let them practice theirs.