Checking The Yes Box For "have You Ever Been Arrested"

My boyfriend who is Thai and seeking a visitor visas for both the US and Canada for a month in total was arrested 4 years ago for playing cards. He was released in 3 days. Should we just give up now on the visa process or do we still have a chance?

My boyfriend who is Thai and seeking a visitor visas for both the US and Canada for a month in total was arrested 4 years ago for playing cards. He was released in 3 days. Should we just give up now on the visa process or do we still have a chance?

I'd have to think major criminal offense would be what they meant. Prob have a good laff if you put playing cards down on the visa. :o

Minor offence say nothing.............. if they took Photo's prints etc I would probably own up .... but put playing cards

Yes they took pictures. We are definetly going to tell the truth. Also we are going to include a police report in the visa package.

Exactlty. Chances are they will ignore such a minor offence (the UK certainly would) but get caught telling a lie, and they wont believe anything else you say. Result; no visa!

Always tell the truth.

Exactlty. Chances are they will ignore such a minor offence (the UK certainly would) but get caught telling a lie, and they wont believe anything else you say. Result; no visa!

Always tell the truth.

Better be safe than sorry this is true, mind you I think they will still have a laff on the cards bit. :D Goodluck! :o

From a lot of chatter on UK newsgroups the US require you admit to an offence if it is major - over 5 years in prison, or three minor offences that can result in a total of over 5 years in prison.

But the general advice for the US is own up to all offences.

Guest endure
From a lot of chatter on UK newsgroups the US require you admit to an offence if it is major - over 5 years in prison, or three minor offences that can result in a total of over 5 years in prison.

But the general advice for the US is own up to all offences.

US visa regulations require anyone who has ever been arrested to admit this on their visa application. They do not have to have been convicted. All arrests, even those for traffic offences etc., must be mentioned. From the US Consulate website in London:

"Under United States visa law people who have been arrested are required to declare the arrest when applying for a visa. If the arrest resulted in a conviction, the individual may be permanently ineligible to receive a visa. In order to travel, a waiver of the permanent ineligibility is required. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to United States visa law. Therefore, even travelers with a spent conviction are required to declare the arrest and/or conviction."

If not asked there is no need to tell; but if asked, don't lie! They may not, probably wont, check; but if they do.............

Any way, the OP was asking about the US and Canada, not Thailand.

How can they check unless you tell them?

EG:a few years ago, a friend of mine was applying for an American visa.he had a conviction for drugs (Ganja) When he was young. Another friend of mine worked for NZ Customs.The advise given was.."don't tell the yanks, they will never know.If you tell them , you won't get a visa"

The visa was obtained without any problem. :o

How can they check unless you tell them?
Police/court/criminal records. Todays technology makes it quite easy, really. I'm not saying that they will definitely check, but they could do so if they wished. Up to individuals if they want to take the risk.

Not divulging unasked for information is not lying, but as most visa applications to most countries ask about past arrests/convictions, then saying "none" when you do have some is lying.