Fish Farming ... When It Goes Belly Up

David48

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RBH trying your formula with 2,000 fish sounds like about .6 a bag a day, So for me 4 kilos in the norning 4 at lunch and 4 in the evening Sound about right?

The Plam Mor are lazy eaters. But, I will give it a try if have to much floating food I will cut back.

I will do it myslef till I see how things go.

Edited by ray23

ray, we are talking about Pla Duk and the guide line is meant for it, not Pla Mor.

But as long as you feed them untill they are full (satiation) and manage your pond and water quality well, there shouldn't be any problem in term of growth.

Growth takes time, you can't force them to eat anymore when they are full already.

It would be a good practice on your part to keep track of things like having a log book recording its progress also for future reference.

All the way mate. thumbsup.gif

Edited by RedBullHorn

i keep a good spread sheet, time to take the next step and record feeding results.

I will try four in the morning if I still have floating at lunch time that is to much. Just have see how it goes.

Thanks

Edited by ray23

Will do I will start at a half Kilo the first day and then add more at each feeding if the previous one has been cleaned up.

If it is then I will try at kilo a each feeding. The slow eaters, never saw them swarm food yet.

I will find the level.

Thanks

Edited by ray23

Will do I will start at a half Kilo the first day and then add more at each feeding if the previous one has been cleaned up.

If it is then I will try at kilo a each feeding. The slow eaters, never saw them swarm food yet.

I will find the level.

Thanks

1/2 kg for 2000 fish sounds like less than 1 pellet per fish.

Well we will be finishing off the 32% today, this is just baout how they have been eating remeber yhis is three times a day. I think I will be going to a kilo tomorrow just have to see how today pans out

2,000 is based on what I bought, I have no idea what is really in there now. Keep in mind I don't work out there every day. I asked the worker to count the dead and wounded. The I walked over to a tree amd the same coversation with the same results.

I abe to play it by ear for a bit, I will do the feeding myself for the next week.

610 baht about the same in your neighborhood for 30%?

Well we will be finishing off the 32% today, this is just baout how they have been eating remeber yhis is three times a day. I think I will be going to a kilo tomorrow just have to see how today pans out

2,000 is based on what I bought, I have no idea what is really in there now. Keep in mind I don't work out there every day. I asked the worker to count the dead and wounded. The I walked over to a tree amd the same coversation with the same results.

I abe to play it by ear for a bit, I will do the feeding myself for the next week.

610 baht about the same in your neighborhood for 30%

They gave t/w a list the other day, seems they have three brands of 30%, priced at 470 bt, 520 bt , and 560 bt. I dont know what size pellets they are but have to get stocks in next couple of days so will get more details for you.

Thanks that would make it worth a drive.

He gave me an outregeous price for 16.5% Pla Nin as well.

I send the brother in law over sometime this week an see what his price is.

The ate the half kilo this morning so I uped to a kilo at lunch.

Edited by ray23

Ray,

in our near by small town (10km away) i can recall there is 5 shops selling feed/fertiliser.

sorry, but it is a bit hard to believe that in Udon there is only one shop near to you.

look around, shop around! if you dont know where to look, some locals sure would be able to point your wife or b-i-l to some other shops near to your place.

Now that we have found the first one, we have a lead on another, we need to check out 110 baht a bag less. So that's on the Agenda now.

If it works out that way then the guy lost a active repeat customer.

There is not many places in Udon that do farrange pricing this might just have been one of them.

We use a Tuk Tuk driver to deliver to our storage room. He found this one for us. I had been asking till I was blue in the face. Finally, may have just gotten a break through. At the time I made the buy s didnlt know waht the pricing was and the only place I could find. Now things are opening up.

The pace we normally use, we get pla Nin at 335 Baht

For the money we are taling about I would go to Doms area with a rental pickup and buy thirty at a time

Now that we have found the first one, we have a lead on another, we need to check out 110 baht a bag less. So that's on the Agenda now.

If it works out that way then the guy lost a active repeat customer.

There is not many places in Udon that do farrange pricing this might just have been one of them.

We use a Tuk Tuk driver to deliver to our storage room. He found this one for us. I had been asking till I was blue in the face. Finally, may have just gotten a break through. At the time I made the buy s didnlt know waht the pricing was and the only place I could find. Now things are opening up.

The pace we normally use, we get pla Nin at 335 Baht

For the money we are taling about I would go to Doms area with a rental pickup and buy thirty at a time

Ray, two feed shops I have used in Udon, one= drive north west on Phosi Rd toward Lake Prajak ,turn left on the Soi just before Tang Ngee Soon Supermarket,1 1/2 blocks along on left is a big feed store.

Another is Udon Dutsadi Rd (Nong Khai Rd),It is on the left heading north,about 1km back from the ring Rd.look for the last gas station before the ring rd and the shop is next door.

Ray,

in our near by small town (10km away) i can recall there is 5 shops selling feed/fertiliser.

sorry, but it is a bit hard to believe that in Udon there is only one shop near to you.

look around, shop around! if you dont know where to look, some locals sure would be able to point your wife or b-i-l to some other shops near to your place.

I must admit feed shops are a bit thin on the ground in Udon, Probably because it is a n urban area.

Its a bit like taking coal to Newcastle.

Most shops are located in the rural towns and villages nearby where the actual farms are.

Will do, sometimes it is diffficult to get the help you need, in dealing with the Thai language. We were rtold the the othe is 500 baht a bag for 30% don't know the size of pellets though. I will keep looking bought some time at least.

2nd day so they are at 1.5 Kilos three times a day now.

Edited by ray23

Ray,

I must admit feed shops are a bit thin on the ground in Udon, Probably because it is a n urban area.

Its a bit like taking coal to Newcastle.

Most shops are located in the rural towns and villages nearby where the actual farms are.

true.

thus driving 10-15km around shouldnt be toward the town center direction.

maybe for future reference 2 things i would like to say:

1. when the fish is in the lake, it is already a bit late to check out the feed options....in this case i think Ray planned a long time for pla mor, in fact had to special order it, if i remember well. that means plenty time to shop around. or should mean...

2. usually there isnt too much farang pricing, anyway, there is a thai wife, drag her around, or better, sen her to scout, if you feel there is double standards.

more often the case that shops carry different brands, and those prices sometimes rather wide...same % of protein, but 100thb different in price is common.

again, shop around.

Shopping on price is not always the best course,I have not been happy with growth rates this season, but attributed this to the terrible growing conditions we have had (heat ,low water ,etc).

So I recently changed to the highest priced pellets on the market and can see an improvement already.I am now paying a 15% premium on the price I had negotiated on the original brand but figure its worth it.

I had learned from qualified industry sources that the original pellets were not manufactured by the brand company but supplied to them by an unknown manufacturer.

Unless feed formula is tested and verified by an independant authority ,the buyer can only hope as to the honesty of the manufacturer.

The major source of protein is usually fish meal or soy bean meal which are the most expensive components of the mix and and could possibly be manipulated to give a higher profit to a manufacturer and thence a lower protein product to the end user.

I am not saying that this occurs but the only fish food tests that I know of done some years ago showed marked variations in the protein content as stated.

Man this was a tough one for sure. I started the same feedinb progarm wuiht the Pla Nin, I expect begin catching the3m in November, possibly October.

Went to 2,25 kilos three tiems a day. At 1.5 the pond had floating pellets last night all gone this morning, Since my scoop is 3/4 a kilo, so the next step after this is 3 kilos, three times a day. if I don't have floating food tomorrow morning

I think I will leave the Pla Nin at this level.

I have put about 25 Kilos ( over a preiod of time) of fertilizer in the big pond so far having a hard time getting algea growth.

The small pond has penlty of it Pla Mor don't need it. I would l;ike to transfe wate back and forth but I have water going out the drains now. So I will have to wait a bit. I add a kilo to two a day wait a few days to see the result . I think I'm close now.

Got all the floating pens our now, no more of that..

Edited by ray23

No it looks like nine kilos a day. Few more days and I will know. Current 4 kilos three times day. Nothing floating in the morning.

That would seem to me be more then enough for growth.

But we will see, thye eat it but they don't storm it like cat fish.

David:

These fish look like they are mostly pla nin. I did see some larger ones, what were they? What was the average age of the pla nin?

Many thanks.

It was the GF's Aunt's Pond, so I don't have any direct information of the Age of the catch.

Pla Nin's life-cycle is between 9 - 12 months from fry to marketable size ... depending on feed and water conditions.

They are all Mono-sex ... only way to go.

I have a whole series of that catch and when I can nail the information, I'll do a new OP on the catch.

Cheers ...

Well at three kilos had food floating so I cut back to 2.25

Dom whne yuo changed food brands did you stay with 16.5 %?

The only place I coudl get fry at the time I retocked wa the fish departmetn here. I have thousand of fry, that i have to get rid of yes mono is the only way to go.

David:

These fish look like they are mostly pla nin. I did see some larger ones, what were they? What was the average age of the pla nin?

Many thanks.

err~ David...may i ? smile.png (I hope you don't mind)

Donald, it's Pla Sawai, AKA Striped catfish (Pangasius hypophthalmus) Bottom/general feeder.

Edited by RedBullHorn

David:

Many thanks.

err~ David...may i ? smile.png (I hope you don't mind)

Donald, it's Pla Sawai, AKA Striped catfish (Pangasius hypophthalmus) Bottom/general feeder.

RBH, because of the TWINS thread .. I've ran out of likes.

Will a thumbs up do? ... thumbsup.gif

I'll post a few more photos of the catch and you can identify them if you have some time ... biggrin.png