About Aeon Atm Fees In Chaing Mai

PaigeLeo

I went to get cash on Aeon ATM and from what people said their ATM wont change fee (150 baht)

first time I got 1000 baht and it was no fee, and then i went to get another 3000 baht in another week..

seem ok after i checked on my online bank after got money 3 days(alloewd my bank to adjust my status) but then today i check it again they charged me two time for fee (for my ฿3000) one was 5 dollars and another one was 1.01 dollars (which is i think both of them together is 150 baht.

however it didnt charge my 1000 baht for fee at all

i use different cards but they are from the same bank.

can anyone tell me why they charge some and didnt some ??

AEON ATMs in Thailand don't charge any fees for cash withdrawals made with VISA or MC logo bank cards.

So in all likelihood, it was the OP's card-issuing bank that charged those fees. Some banks have flat fees for using any ATM other than those in their network. Some banks charge percentage fees based on the amount withdrawn when the withdrawal is in any foreign country. Some do both.

The OP doesn't say what kind of bank card he was using. But if it happened to be a credit card instead of a debit card, credit cards also generally have cash advance fees for anytime they are used to withdraw money from an ATM, regardless of whether it's in your home country or abroad.

why they charged on 3000 baht one but not on 1000 baht one?

It's hard to clearly understand your situation when we don't know what country you're from, what bank issued your cards, and what kind of two different cards you were using for the withdrawals. The devil is always in the details.

But AEON ATMs don't charge extra fees for cash withdrawals in Thailand.

Bank of America (not American) is one of the worst banks in the U.S. for charging fees on foreign ATM transactions.

Last time I checked, they charge a flat fee on most foreign ATM withdrawals (except for when using a few foreign banks that are part of their network, none of which are in Thailand), and then they also charge a percentage fee based on the amount withdrawn.

Never ever ever not ever use a BofA ATM/debit card in Thailand, unless you enjoy throwing your money away.

ATM - Non-Bank of America (outside the U.S.) $5 each

Withdrawals, transfers and balance inquiries from a non-Bank of America ATM outside the U.S.

By using a non-Bank of America ATM, you may be charged (by the ATM
operator or any associated network) an additional fee for each
transaction, including a balance inquiry even if you do not withdraw
cash.

A non-Bank of America ATM does not prominently display the Bank of America logo.

Important Information

The non-Bank of America ATM fees do not apply at some ATMs located outside
the United States. You will not pay a transaction fee when you use ATMs
of our Global Alliance partner banks in the following countries:

• Barclays (United Kingdom)
  • BNP Paribas (France)
  • China Construction Bank (China)
  • Deutsche Bank (Germany)
  • Santander Serfin (Mexico)
  • Scotiabank (Canada)
  • Westpac (Australia and New Zealand)
Non-participating banks may charge additional fees.
BofA's website seems to also indicate they currently charge a 1% foreign currency fee on ATM withdrawals made outside of their international network described above.
So in Thailand for a BofA card, it would be $5 charge from BofA plus a 1% BofA charge on the amount withdrawn. And then if you used any Thai ATM other than AEON such as Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial, Kasikorn, etc., the Thai bank would charge you their own 150 baht fee for using a foreign card, which works out to another $5+ U.S.
Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 4 months later...

Is there Aeon atm anymore at airport plaza? I got really frustrated walking there and not finding it, so I gave up and wasted 150 baht by using other atm. I bet it has been moved. Anyone can confirm this or am I just blind.

Edited by Jaakko

Aeon dont like Mastercard atm debit cards, i was only able to use it once.

Visa atm card never had a problem though.

What are the exchange rates for Aeon though?

AEON at Airport Plaza moved near IT City and in the back.

Exchange rates are set by the card issuing institution.

I have used my MasterCard debit card in AEON ATM machines. Maybe, again, it is the card issuing institution.

Edited by hml367

I got 2000 THB from Aeon, yesterday. It cost me 64.61 USD or 30.9549605 THB per Dollar. Why do so may TV posters seem to have a knack for doing things the hard way? BTW, there is an Aeon ATM in front of the Tesco at Lake Phayao; didn't see anyone wearing circus pants, though, so you all would probably stay away from there.

• Like 1

Is there Aeon atm anymore at airport plaza? I got really frustrated walking there and not finding it, so I gave up and wasted 150 baht by using other atm. I bet it has been moved. Anyone can confirm this or am I just blind.

This is a reasonable question. They moved it, so you have to walk through one of the IT areas. Still on floor 3. The first thai lady I asked told me in very decent English. Don't be shy next time. Most of them are nice people.

My bank, Scotiabank (Canadian) charges me a flat $5.00 per transaction but, as someone already suggested, the difference from published exchange and what I am charged is about 1% so I think most banks will take a little off the top. AEON ATMs however, do not charge my debit card any fees. I'm suspect they get a cut of the fee from my bank though.

My bank, Scotiabank (Canadian) charges me a flat $5.00 per transaction but, as someone already suggested, the difference from published exchange and what I am charged is about 1% so I think most banks will take a little off the top. AEON ATMs however, do not charge my debit card any fees. I'm suspect they get a cut of the fee from my bank though.

The interchange fees, which are charged the financial institutions, is what gets paid to financial institutions or ATM owners. The card issuing institution can charge their customers, but they are not required to. They can also charge more than the interchange fee charged the institution.

Check your disclosures from the card issuing bank and these things must be disclosed.

The methods used are available on the web sites of Visa. I would guess they are also on MasterCard and probably other web sites. You can also contact the brands (Visa, MasterCard, Maestro, etc.) directly. However, it is the card issuing institutions responsibility to give you the disclosures.

The Visa charge to the institution for currency exchange was .8% and another charge of .2%, which makes the charge to the institution 1% for currency exchange. It is not AEON charging any currency exchange fees.

A reply from Visa Corporate, USA:

Thank you for contacting Visa.

For more information about exchange rates, including currency conversions, we invite you to visit the Exchange Rate section of the Visa Corporate web site at the following address: http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_rates.jsp

For specific information regarding how the exchange rate is applied to your account, please contact the financial institution that issued your Visa card.

In addition to the above, each bank sets its own ATM fees and limits. Fees or transaction limits would be located on the ATM screen before completion of your transaction. You can also inquire inside of the bank regarding any ATM limitations or fees.

To locate the nearest ATMs near where you will be traveling, we suggest that you use our ATM locator. For your convenience, we have provided the link:

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/jsp/SearchPage.jsp

Any additional limitations or fees charged by the bank which issued your Visa card should be indicated in your cardholder agreement/contract with your bank. For additional information or to request a PIN code, please contact the financial institution that issued your Visa card using the address or telephone number on the Visa statement to inquire further. This number may also appear on the back of the card. The financial institution can directly address your inquiry.

We hope this information proves helpful.

Edited by hml367

Indeed, but what is the exchange rate at the same time someone takes money out of a BB or SCB ATM? I would bet my left nut they are making that 5 bucks. It would be no business sense, as far as 'this is Thailand' is concerned, to not do so.

Edited by jackr

Indeed, but what is the exchange rate at the same time someone takes money out of a BB or SCB ATM? I would bet my left nut they are making that 5 bucks. It would be no business sense, as far as 'this is Thailand' is concerned, to not do so.

Careful what you wager.

No Jackr... the exchange rates provided by AEON ATMs almost always are better than the buying TT rates offered by the Thai banks, anywhere from 0.05 to 0.15 satang better. - assuming your home country/card issuing bank isn't adding on fees.

The rates AEON uses when you withdraw with a non-Thai card are the VISA and MC card network rates, depending on which log card you use.

For local exchange like Exchange Booths and money exchange at their counters, the Thai banks each set their own individual rates, some higher and some lower than each other. But almost always lower than the card network rates.

Now...note I said, the exchange rates offered by AEON ATMs. That doesn't take into account any foreign currency fees that your card issuing bank may deduct from the card network rates.

If you use a no-fee home country bank card with AEON ATMs, you'll get the full card networks rate for that day.

If you use a home country bank that charges a 1, 2 or 3% foreign currency fee, you'll get the card networks rate minus the amount skimmed by your card issuing bank.

BTW, don't worry about AEON's profits. Given that their main business is charging 20% to 28% on unsecured loans and credit cards issued to Thais, they're making plenty of money. They're not a bank, so they don't operate the same way as the Thai banks do.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

exchange rates are the same for Aeon vs BB and SCB ATM machines. The rate is set by the card issuer not by the company who owns the ATM.

exchange rates are the same for Aeon vs BB and SCB ATM machines. The rate is set by the card issuer not by the company who owns the ATM.

The rate is set by Visa and has to fall within a limited range. This was introduced by Visa because certain banks in countries with volatile exchange rates would hang onto the slips and enter them into the settlement and clearing system when they were advantageous, leading to lots of customer complaints.

I can't remember the details, but I believe it's linked to LIBOR.

The rate is set by Visa and has to fall within a limited range. This was introduced by Visa because certain banks in countries with volatile exchange rates would hang onto the slips and enter them into the settlement and clearing system when they were advantageous, leading to lots of customer complaints.

GOD HELP US THEN if it's LIBOR ;-) Weren't Barclays "setting" that rate not so long ago ;-)

Edited by stament

GOD HELP US THEN if it's LIBOR ;-) Weren't Barclays "setting" that rate not so long ago ;-)

Whether it's linked to LIBOR or not, it's higher (better for the customer) than the TT rate offered by Thai banks.

I don't know how it's done or which bank charges what, and I don't really care. A few years ago I made a withdrawal from Siam Commercial and the next day I made the same withdrawal amount from Aeon. I went on the internet to check how much came out of my bank account and, based on the exchange rates at the time, I got 99% of my US dollars converted to Thai baht using Aeon, and between 96% and 97% using Siam. I now only use Aeon. I still check the withdrawals from my bank and with Aeon I consistently get about 99%, which I consider reasonable.

I don't know how it's done or which bank charges what, and I don't really care. A few years ago I made a withdrawal from Siam Commercial and the next day I made the same withdrawal amount from Aeon. I went on the internet to check how much came out of my bank account and, based on the exchange rates at the time, I got 99% of my US dollars converted to Thai baht using Aeon, and between 96% and 97% using Siam. I now only use Aeon. I still check the withdrawals from my bank and with Aeon I consistently get about 99%, which I consider reasonable.

That's the way that it usually works out (that it's advantageous to use Aeon if your bank at home doesn't refund ATM fees).

Let me correct what I said earlier, when Jackr asked about the exchange rate with Thai banks' ATMs... I thought, wrongly, he was asking about the Thai banks local exchange rates.

So... yes, if you use a foreign VISA or MC logo debit card in an AEON or Bangkok Bank or Siam Commercial Bank ATM, it's going to be processed using the same exchange rate, that set for that day by the VISA or MC card networks -- minus any extra charges added in by your home country/card issuing bank. And so long as the Thai bank doesn't goad you into accepting DCC (Dynamic Currency Exchange" where only with MCs are they allowed to substitute their own local, lower rate if you specifically give permission for that.

The difference between AEON ATMs and the Thai bank ATMs is... AEON ATMs don't charge any local withdrawal fee, whereas the Thai banks now charge 150b per withdrawal for VISA logo cards and 180b per withdrawal for MC logo cards, regardless of the amount withdrawn.

What I was saying in my prior post was.... the AEON ATM exchange rate (especially when using a VISA card where VISA sets that rate) usually is going to be better than the local buying TT rates offering by Thai banks at their currency counters and for buying baht with cash inside the banks.