Hilton Buffet, When ?

yoslim

Do you need to book ahead now if you want a table inside?

I would recommend that people on a budget skip 2 lunches and enjoy an evening buffet instead.

The price has indeed gone up to 410B (with water) but it's still pretty good value.

I never book and I have rarely seen it full inside. A couple of times on holidays and when they have had large corporate groups perhaps. Certainly most of the best tables by the window are pre-booked most days, but I've also noticed that some of the people who have booked dont always turn up.

The evening buffet is better, no doubt about it. I'm not sure that it's twice as good though, and personally I try to avoid heavy meals in the evening. So I would rather go twice at lunchtime.

I would recommend that people on a budget skip 2 lunches and enjoy an evening buffet instead.

The price has indeed gone up to 410B (with water) but it's still pretty good value.

I never book and I have rarely seen it full inside. A couple of times on holidays and when they have had large corporate groups perhaps. Certainly most of the best tables by the window are pre-booked most days, but I've also noticed that some of the people who have booked dont always turn up.

The evening buffet is better, no doubt about it. I'm not sure that it's twice as good though, and personally I try to avoid heavy meals in the evening. So I would rather go twice at lunchtime.

That's good. It maybe worth a revisit then. Don't get me wrong, I never had any complaints about the lunch time layout it was just the over crowded sh*t fight which put me off. It sounds like things have quietened down a lot

On some occasions, after they had stopped serving fresh salmon sashimi, I saw guys loading up on the salmon sushi and taking the salmon off the rice. I don't enjoy lunch in the company of too many pigs. I wasn't surprised they had cut back on the fresh salmon as it must have been costing them a fortune.

.......... I have rarely seen it full inside.

That's because you don't go on Wednesday's. Last time we had to wait and were asked if we had a reservation. You know all those cheap Charlie Americans paying 500 baht looking for good imported beef.

That's good. It maybe worth a revisit then. Don't get me wrong, I never had any complaints about the lunch time layout it was just the over crowded sh*t fight which put me off. It sounds like things have quietened down a lot

On some occasions, after they had stopped serving fresh salmon sashimi, I saw guys loading up on the salmon sushi and taking the salmon off the rice. I don't enjoy lunch in the company of too many pigs. I wasn't surprised they had cut back on the fresh salmon as it must have been costing them a fortune.

Probably the Eskimos. Lot of Eskimos in Pattaya this season.

That's because you don't go on Wednesday's. Last time we had to wait and were asked if we had a reservation. You know all those cheap Charlie Americans paying 500 baht looking for good imported beef.

Really? Wow. Now I'm even happier that I dont like hamburgers. biggrin.png

This is a whole new aspect to the Hilton that I was previously unaware of. Surprising how much a place can change from one day to another when they do special menus.

If you've not been for a while at lunchtime you will surely notice that they have cut back on the cost of ingredients over the last year. Not surprising really. It's still good, but with cheaper produce.

If you've not been for a while at lunchtime you will surely notice that they have cut back on the cost of ingredients over the last year. Not surprising really. It's still good, but with cheaper produce.

Yeah, when I was going it was a fresh promotion and they brought out all the good stuff - but even then I could see them pulling back on it over a period of a few weeks. You'd often see one diner coming along and taking all the sashimi in one hit.

Last night being Friday was the most expensive evening buffet they do.

I wonder what your wife is comparing it to when she says it was nothing special?

Maybe she wasn't so happy there was no som tam and takaten biggrin.png

I wonder what your wife is comparing it to when she says it was nothing special?

She probably went straight for the Thai food counter.

What was his wife doing there on here own?

Perhaps she went to eat.smile.png

Spending his money, isn't that why people get a Thai wife ? giggle.gif

Spending his money, isn't that why people get a Thai wife ? giggle.gif

No.whistling.gif

Dunno but she's pretty clued up on food, Said it was nice but nothing special, Can't comment as I've never been there.

Sure its pretty good, Hilton's don't normally disappoint.

Dunno but she's pretty clued up on food, Said it was nice but nothing special, Can't comment as I've never been there.

Having eaten there many times I can comment. It is very special for Pattaya. I would take your wife's comments with a grain of salt and try it yourself.

BTW, what places in Pattaya does your wife think are special?

Having eaten there many times I can comment. It is very special for Pattaya. I would take your wife's comments with a grain of salt and try it yourself.

I will go there one day.

She's quite adventurous with food and will at least try most things from different countries although she doesn't eat a lot so maybe she was reffering to the price.

As for special I don't really know what places she considers special, She likes Cafe des Amis a lot.

Her best friends Swiss BF who took them to eat there also mentioned that for the 4000bht he paid all in they could have gone to a nice restaurant and eaten better.

As said I can't comment as I have never tried it.

I will go there one day.

She's quite adventurous with food and will at least try most things from different countries although she doesn't eat a lot so maybe she was reffering to the price.

As for special I don't really know what places she considers special, She likes Cafe des Amis a lot.

Her best friends Swiss BF who took them to eat there also mentioned that for the 4000bht he paid all in they could have gone to a nice restaurant and eaten better.

As said I can't comment as I have never tried it.

I disagree with your wife's best friend's BF. (he didn't invite you?) He doesn't know what he's talking about. 3 people for food would have cost about 1000 each on Friday, the rest would have been drinks. Drinks are expensive there but the food is a bargain.

You can get your 850 baht money's worth just eating one decent plate of sashimi, sushi and smoked salmon without touching anything else.,..and without going anywhere near the oysters or dessert buffet.

A buffet is a specific style of eating. It doesn't suit everyone. You can't compare it to ala carte. Next door in the steak and seafood restaurant one small steak will set you back over 1000 baht. A small entree (starters or appetizers for the Americans who don't understand what an entree is biggrin.png) will set you back 500 baht.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Yes indeed. 1000B doesnt go very far in a "nice" a la carte restaurant here, and at best you will only get a couple or three dishes. And dont forget the cheese. I've seen a la carte places here that charge several hundred Baht for a go at their cheeseboard.

Much better choice to be had for that money at the Hilton (or indeed the weekend evening thing at the Royal Cliff, or a couple of other places), assuming that you like what they offer and the way they offer it, of course.

I disagree with your wife's best friend's BF. (he didn't invite you?)

He doesn't know what he's talking about. 3 people for food would have

cost about 1000 each on Friday, the rest would have been drinks. Drinks

are expensive there but the food is a bargain.

You can get your 850 baht money's worth just eating one decent plate

of sashimi, sushi and smoked salmon without touching anything

else.,..and without going anywhere near the oysters or dessert buffet.

A buffet is a specific style of eating. It doesn't suit everyone. You

can't compare it to ala carte. Next door in the steak and seafood

restaurant one small steak will set you back over 1000 baht. A

small entree (starters or appetizers for the Americans who don't

understand what an entree is biggrin.png) will set you back 500 baht.

As said I haven't been there so can't comment. Just saying what all 3 of them said, nice but nothing special, I may disagree completely with their views.

They go out to dinner together at least once a week either to Ban Ampur, or local to Gians or Mata Hari etc, Of course I get invited but on this occasion I was with friends on the piss so decided not to go.

smile.png

Edited by davethailand