Uk Oap Visa

Rarely am I gob-smacked - but I can safely say I am gob-smacked.

I had read about a Non-Immigrant O visa for 65 Year olds and the fact they simply had to show proof of receipt of the state pension (no figures mentioned at all), but I had not come across anyone who had obtained one.

Yesterday my friend received his visa in the post and, true to their word, all he send was a copy of his entitlement to the state pension. For the record he receives circa 28,000 Baht per month.

Maybe I am just jealous. As an over 50 year old visiting Thailand I have to show income of GBP 1,200 (increased this year from GBP 900). If I wanted to stay here on a retirement extension I would have to show 800k Baht in the bank or 65,000 Baht p.m. income (or a combination). If I chose to marry I would still need to show 400k Baht or 40k p.m. income. I have no problem satisfying any of those criteria but it suits me to operate with Non-Inn O visa for now.

The ease at which a 65 year old+ can obtain a visa seems at odds with all the financial constraints placed on your ability to stay in Thailand. I cannot believe this 'soft' visa will stay around for long and I am sure that the Thai government does not intend to welcome low-income UK pensioners with open arms - whilst, at the same time, making it more difficult for those with a reasonable level of income.

Edited by cardholder

But it is a multiple entry visa which means border runs every 90 days.

Indeed - that is no issue. In my case I go out of Thailand most months so the Non-Imm O suits me fine.

The real point is that he would not qualify for any other type of visa or extension.

I don't know if it is still the case but at the Embassy they used to put the amount up on the income letter, so it was over 65000baht per month for those who wanted to get a retirement extension.

Sorry beano, but what has that got to do with my post about Non-Imm O for 65 year olds.

Have I missed something ?

That has to do with you saying you have to show 65000baht income for an extension in Thailand, this was not the case, as I said the Embassy put the amount upto 65000baht if you were short.

Also like someone has pointed out it would be a multi entry or single entry visa so more running around for the OAP's when they eventually got here, not worth it in my point of view.

That has to do with you saying you have to show 65000baht income for an extension in Thailand, this was not the case, as I said the Embassy put the amount upto 65000baht if you were short.

Also like someone has pointed out it would be a multi entry or single entry visa so more running around for the OAP's when they eventually got here, not worth it in my point of view.

sorry about the blank posts - aircard playing up............

My friend does not have any other options. It is very high risk to rely on the embassy to falsify the figures (I know the US embassy don't care).

Border runs are no issue for him - he lives close to the border and he visits Cambodia.

My point is about how soft it is to get a visa as a 65 year old.

Don't dismiss Non-Imm O lightly - I and several friends prefer the freedom of a Non-Imm O. No bowing and scraping to immigration and no address reporting. Horses for courses.

Edited by cardholder

"Yesterday my friend received his visa in the post and, true to their word, all he send was a copy of his entitlement to the state pension. For the record he receives circa 28,000 Baht per month".

Good luck to him aint it great to get a visa so easily?

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

There are many honorary Thai consulates that will issue a non-o based upon being over 50 years old with no proof of income of any kind. The same for being married to a Thai.

Hull is the only location that mentions the OAP on their website.

• Like 1

There are many honorary Thai consulates that will issue a non-o based upon being over 50 years old with no proof of income of any kind. The same for being married to a Thai.

Hull is the only location that mentions the OAP on their website.

This is true Joe, and Hull have always tended to be 'helpful'.

I am probably making the time-honoured mistake of following the rules. I always believe that the best place to start is in understanding the rules i.e. instructions on a consulate website or a police order/thai immigration website for extensions etc.

I guess I was just trying to highlight what appears to be the inconsistency between the 'rules' for a 50 year old and the 'rules' for a 65 year old. Usually, where there is inconsistency changes often follow quite quickly.

If an over 50 (or even over 65) go to a Thai embassy or official consulate they will not get an O visa for retirement of any kind. They only do OA visas (long stay on websites).

I think Hull had a bit of a problem a couple years ago and came up with some written rules of their own for issuing non-o visas.

If you look at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website the only mention of financial requirements is the standard 20k baht requirement for non immigrant visas. See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

Well this OAP from the UK got a 3 month Non-Imm O visa from New Zealand where I finished my working life and came back to Thailand.

went to the UK Embasy in BKK with my pension letters and got a letter verifying my pensions from them and went to Mae Sot and converted the visa into a retirement extension and have done every year.

I live 200 km from Mae Sot andthe cost of travelling there 4 times a year plus the traveling time for me just isn't worth the trouble.

Where will the guy go next yeat to get his visa? Back to the UK as I don't think he will get one like that in Asian countries and that will entail more costs and travelling time.

Too much hassle for me.