Ko Chang For Songkran

Tilted Grin

• 2 weeks later...

^Thanks for the discussion. Certainly White Sands at the end of last year was rammo'd with Russian peeps. I stayed at the Mac Resort which hosted a few all-day vodka benders for these charming people. The police were only summoned a few times to try and assist the flamboyant types into paying their bills / not be extremely rude to the staff.

Good luck. The place is heaving with miserable, hard-drinking Russians nowadays

Did you stay at VJ Plaza?

That's an idiotic statement. There are a couple of Russian Ghetto areas - Kae Bae and Chai Chet (Particualry 7/11 and V-Mart), and certainly there are more of them - but they have not ruined Koh Chang, and are generally easily avoided. There are plenty of nice areas still here.

• Like 1

Good luck. The place is heaving with miserable, hard-drinking Russians nowadays

No it's not.

I live here and 80% of the tourists are Russian.

So do I and your figure seems to me a bit high, maybe i just dont go to the same places as these cheap charlie vodka swilling russians others are talking about. But then again when there are so many places that are not over-run by them why would I?

I'm not saying they are not here, just that there are many places they are not.

They are hard to miss though in Kae BaE, dragging their knuckles along the floor as they walk in the middle of the road, totally oblivious to traffic. Nearly everyday, I have had to swerve around these idiots.

They are hard to miss though in Kae BaE, dragging their knuckles along the floor as they walk in the middle of the road, totally oblivious to traffic. Nearly everyday, I have had to swerve around these idiots.

Relax a bit..Those " idiots " how you call them are on holiday in what is supposed to be a National Park.

The main road is narrow indeed, no hope for sidewalks too. Personally i think too many cars are more a problem than " idiots " walking in the middle of the road.

Now, let's hope that not every tourist and resident get a car, it would be the end for this once lovely island.

• Like 1

Relax a bit..Those " idiots " how you call them are on holiday in what is supposed to be a National Park.

The main road is narrow indeed, no hope for sidewalks too. Personally i think too many cars are more a problem than " idiots " walking in the middle of the road.

Now, let's hope that not every tourist and resident get a car, it would be the end for this once lovely island.

I believe that there will be a road going around the back of Kae Bae soon, and that it may be access only through the town, that will improve it. Believe me, standing in the middle of the road looking up at the sky, or 4 people walking side by side is idiotic. I will await to see that it is like later today, when I drive through.

I believe that there will be a road going around the back of Kae Bae soon, and that it may be access only through the town, that will improve it. Believe me, standing in the middle of the road looking up at the sky, or 4 people walking side by side is idiotic. I will await to see that it is like later today, when I drive through.

I understand you, i had people ( not necessarily Russians ) cross my road abruptly and without looking while i'm riding the motorbike, and look offended when i curse at them..blink.png

But they are people on holiday, some full of booze since the early morning.

It takes nothing to have an accident on that road, so it's just better to be patient in the high season.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking of coming down for a few days over Sonkhran, can anybody telol me the best place to stay that is still a bit lively but not a 'Russian Ghetto'? Last time I stayed in Kae Bae but that was a few years ago and not very Russified then. Previously stayed in White Sands but understand that is getting like a mini Pattaya now? I don't want total seclusion with no bars/restaurants nearby.

Also how about the ferries if I were to drive down on Friday or Saturday (12th/13th), will I be queueing for hours? What time is the last ferry from the mainland?

Appreciate any advice.