Violence Against Women: Men's Sense Of ' Sexual Entitlement' To Blame, U N Study Reveals

webfact

Men's sense of 'sexual entitlement' to blame
Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- At least half of 10,178 male respondents from six Asia-Pacific countries said they had a history of physical and/or sexual violence against women, a United Nations study has revealed.

The research - carried out in Cambodia, China, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Papua New Guinea - also discovered that a quarter of these men admitted to committing rape, while 4 per cent of the men said they had participated in gang rape.

The research, revealed at a UN function marking International Women's Day yesterday, said some of the underlying problems included a sense of "sexual entitlement" among men who believe they have the right to a woman's body, observers said.

Masculinity is also associated with violence against women, as 88 per cent of those questioned said that to be a man, you needed to be tough.

Countries with greater equality between the sexes appear to have a lower level of violence against women, the research concludes, adding that violence is fundamentally about power and control over women. However, preliminary findings show that violence against women can be prevented. Measures to be taken include reduction of vulnerability, increasing equality, addressing consequences of conflicts and empowering women.

Four women who faced or suffered some form of violence briefly spoke at the event at the UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (Escap) office in Bangkok. Malaysian sex worker Fatimah Abdullah, who was gang-raped, said: "Sex workers are also human beings. We can be raped."

Another speaker, Patcharawan Saengsunthorn, who is deaf, told the audience about her struggle against her parents, who wanted her to be sterilised and remain single. She eventually got married and now has two children.

"Many [deaf women] are still being forced to become sterilised," she said. "This forced sterilisation is a form of violence against women."

Also onstage were a former Indonesian domestic worker in Hong Kong, who escaped after eight months of servitude, and an Australian human-rights advocate who is still coming to terms with sexual assault from her past.

Noeleen Heyzer, UN under secretary-general and Escap executive secretary, said violence against women was a manifestation of unequal power. Custom and tradition, she said, should never be used to justify violence against women.

"Progress for women is progress for all," Heyzer said.

Statistics and figures in many countries in the Asia-Pacific region are not encouraging. In the Pacific region, as many as seven out of 10 women and eight out of 10 children experience violence and/or abuse at some point in their lives.

While several countries in the Asia-Pacific region have national action plans on violence against women and girls in place, they are being constrained by poor budgeting and a lack of clarity and responsibilities of key actors, which prevent their implementation.

In rural Thailand, 47 per cent of women reported experiencing sexual and/or physical violence by their partners, while the number of victims in the Solomon Islands stands at 64 per cent.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-09

Asia-Pacific countries: not exactly the most educated/civilised of regions of the world.

Edit: added 'civilised'

Just who are you including in Asia-Pacific?

Australia? New Zealand? West coast USA?

And your country of origin? never happens there of course, you must be 'civilised'!!

and, to add to the mix

South Africa dangerous for women

9 March 2013

In South Africa, statistics say someone gets raped every four minutes. Only 66,196 incidents were reported to police last year and their investigations led to only 4,500 convictions.

"If data for all violent assaults, rapes and other sexual assaults against women are taken into account, then approximately 200,000 adult women are reported as being attacked in South Africa every year," Lerato Moloi of the South African Institute for Race Relations said. The real figure is considerably higher, she said, since most cases never are reported.

The rate of murders of women in South Africa is equally troubling.

A woman is killed by an intimate partner every eight hours in South Africa, a probable underestimate because no perpetrator is identified in 20 percent of killings, according to a study published in August and co-authored by Professor Rachel Jewkes of the South African Medical Research Council.

That is double the rate of such murders in the United States, according to the report. The study was based on a sample of deceased females aged 14 years and older at national mortuaries, since police statistics do not separate the killings of women by partners from those by strangers.

Asia-Pacific countries: not exactly the most educated/civilised of regions of the world.

Edit: added 'civilised'

Just who are you including in Asia-Pacific?

Australia? New Zealand? West coast USA?

And your country of origin? never happens there of course, you must be 'civilised'!!

<snip>

Try reading the second paragraph of the OP.

also discovered that a quarter of these men admitted to committing rape, while 4 per cent of the men said they had participated in gang rape.

What a terrifying statistic

What is more terrifying is they probably all got away with it!

Me, facing imminent bankruptcy and pouring over the statements for the wife's credit cards: "Are you aware that you spent over 35 thousand dollars last year in beauty, clothing and shoe shops?"

Her: "Don't you dare tell me how I can, or cannot spend my money? You're a control freak."

Me: "Are you aware that the monthly interest payments on your outstanding credit card debt is more than a thousand dollars."

Her: "That's none of your business."

Me: "Well it is my business because the debt you are racking up to buy worthless sh_t is sending us bankrupt."

Her: "Stop abusing me. Telling me how I can spend money is domestic violence. If you don't shut up I am going to the police to file charges."

The socio political fabric of Western society is now entirely disfunctional because it has been highjacked by the feminist narrative. Thailand must avoid adopting this narrative at ALL COST.

Edited by Phronesis
  • Like 1

Me, facing imminent bankruptcy and pouring over the statements for the wife's credit cards: "Are you aware that you spent over 35 thousand dollars last year in beauty, clothing and shoe shops?"

Her: "Don't you dare tell me how I can, or cannot spend my money? You're a control freak."

Me: "Are you aware that the monthly interest payments on your outstanding credit card debt is more than a thousand dollars."

Me: "Well it is my business because the debt you are racking up to buy worthless sh_t is sending us bankrupt."

Her: "Stop abusing me. Telling me how I can spend money is domestic violence. If you don't shut up I am going to the police to file charges."

The socio political fabric of Western society is now entirely disfunctional because it has been highjacked by the feminist narrative. Thailand must avoid adopting this narrative at ALL COST.

So you married a woman who spends your money and makes empty legal threats, and on the strength of this 'experience' you argue, what, that societies that tolerate high levels of sexual violence against women are better than those that don't? That's stupid. I mean, even leaving aside the morality of it (which I find abhorrent) , it doesn't even hang together as a coherent thought.

Actually--astonishingly-- a claim that the husband has criticized their spending habits has successfully been used as domestic abuse. Google it.

So you married a woman who spends your money and makes empty legal threats, and on the strength of this 'experience' you argue, what, that societies that tolerate high levels of sexual violence against women are better than those that don't? That's stupid. I mean, even leaving aside the morality of it (which I find abhorrent) , it doesn't even hang together as a coherent thought.

Actually--astonishingly-- a claim that the husband has criticized their spending habits has successfully been used as domestic abuse. Google it.

I didn't find anything. Even assuming the case does actually exist the phrasing of it in these terms reeks of a lie by omission.

It's lies in the culture of the country. This IMHO! in a country like Thailand where thousand of years of embedded into women that they are second class and they don't even know it. Any time a country allows regardless of the form that a man can have two wives legal or not. A system although there are laws that allow a man to just walk away from their responsibility of supporting a child. The proof of all the young girls that are working in the sex business sending money back home to support their kids. I've seen it first hand over and over again here kids right out of school 15 years of age.. boys waiting like a pack of Soi dogs waiting to pouch on the virgin and as soon as they are pregnant gone like the wind! The girls and later as women feel if they don't have a man around people will look down on them, call them worthless and even pick on them. I have first hand seen and heard it. So it seems they take whatever they can get even another women man and the men also from thousand of years have learn this so they go about doing what they are doing. I use to keep this to myself but within the last year I have read articles in the Bangkok post talking about this especially in relationship to Thai women and other Asian races like Korean and Japanese.

Due to the increase exposure to T.V. soaps from Korea, many Thai women see on T.V. how romantic things are and many hook up from go-go's and bars with Koreans and Japanese and go abroad that things aren't much different. The are made to feel like second class citizens cooking,cleaning seen but not heard. Many find themselves in a verbal or physical abuse and come back to Thailand. Article like this written by Thais suggest that Thai women need to have more self respect for themselves and need to wait it out for something better to come along until that happens their own men will never step up to the plate instead continue to do what they do hit and run as I call it?

This type of mentality carry by men in the Middle East, SEA, Asia as a whole anywhere that feels women aren't equal to men! and of course even in Western countries it happens too! As far as I'm concern a man that hits a women or abuses one isn't much a man but nothing but a coward!

As for the guy that complaining about his wife using the credit card, this can also be construe as reverse verbal abuse! But my best suggestion is get a divorce and run for the hills no matter what it cost you. In the end, it would be cheaper and you would be happier!

• Like 2

snippet from #16

"Thai women see on T.V. how romantic things are and many hook up from
go-go's and bars with Koreans and Japanese and go abroad that things
aren't much different."

Go Go girls are primarily attracted to Japanese /Koreans for one and one reason only; they pay more. Secondarily they are asian also and impressed with white skin. Much of thai society likes Japan/Korea cause of the white skin, soaps, boy bands. The average thai has no idea the korean education system is rated with the top countries in the world. Japan education is nothing to laugh at either. While there is truth in many Japanese women playing traditional roles as mothers/housewives, a lot of that has changed. One CANNOT compare Japanese women to Thai. Japan culture/ society creates highly efficient, quality educated,highly MOTIVATED, organized women. It is largely a middle class society. I have both worked with and dated Japanese women as well as Thai women, and in general (exceptions duly noted) there is a HUGE difference.

It's lies in the culture of the country. This IMHO! in a country like Thailand where thousand of years of embedded into women that they are second class and they don't even know it. Any time a country allows regardless of the form that a man can have two wives legal or not. A system although there are laws that allow a man to just walk away from their responsibility of supporting a child. The proof of all the young girls that are working in the sex business sending money back home to support their kids. I've seen it first hand over and over again here kids right out of school 15 years of age.. boys waiting like a pack of Soi dogs waiting to pouch on the virgin and as soon as they are pregnant gone like the wind! The girls and later as women feel if they don't have a man around people will look down on them, call them worthless and even pick on them. I have first hand seen and heard it. So it seems they take whatever they can get even another women man and the men also from thousand of years have learn this so they go about doing what they are doing. I use to keep this to myself but within the last year I have read articles in the Bangkok post talking about this especially in relationship to Thai women and other Asian races like Korean and Japanese.

Due to the increase exposure to T.V. soaps from Korea, many Thai women see on T.V. how romantic things are and many hook up from go-go's and bars with Koreans and Japanese and go abroad that things aren't much different. The are made to feel like second class citizens cooking,cleaning seen but not heard. Many find themselves in a verbal or physical abuse and come back to Thailand. Article like this written by Thais suggest that Thai women need to have more self respect for themselves and need to wait it out for something better to come along until that happens their own men will never step up to the plate instead continue to do what they do hit and run as I call it?

This type of mentality carry by men in the Middle East, SEA, Asia as a whole anywhere that feels women aren't equal to men! and of course even in Western countries it happens too! As far as I'm concern a man that hits a women or abuses one isn't much a man but nothing but a coward!

As for the guy that complaining about his wife using the credit card, this can also be construe as reverse verbal abuse! But my best suggestion is get a divorce and run for the hills no matter what it cost you. In the end, it would be cheaper and you would be happier!

Korea has one of the highest rates of divorce in the world.

A Thai man can divorce his wife if she withholds sex, but not the other way round. That equality huh?

snippet from #16

aren't much different."

Go Go girls are primarily attracted to Japanese /Koreans for one and one reason only; they pay more. Secondarily they are asian also and impressed with white skin. Much of thai society likes Japan/Korea cause of the white skin, soaps, boy bands. The average thai has no idea the korean education system is rated with the top countries in the world. Japan education is nothing to laugh at either. While there is truth in many Japanese women playing traditional roles as mothers/housewives, a lot of that has changed. One CANNOT compare Japanese women to Thai. Japan culture/ society creates highly efficient, quality educated,highly MOTIVATED, organized women. It is largely a middle class society. I have both worked with and dated Japanese women as well as Thai women, and in general (exceptions duly noted) there is a HUGE difference.

I agree in someways and in someways I don't? Sure Korea and Japans education is far more better than Thailand will ever be in my life time. In my opinion due to education in these countries basically to say in short their women don't put up with their macho bullshit any longer. They expect more from their men and at the same time know like the western women are going to speak their peace and do it with a educated point of view? This is exactly what I'm saying and also articles written by Thais are saying that women need to educate themselves better with more self respect for themselves and have a greater expectation from their own men under that happens they will continue to be second class and wait hand and foot to their men even when they are bunch of useless you know what?

When it comes to P4P, this is what attracts Japanese/Korean and even western men to Thai women. They basically take care of us the old fashion way in more ways than one. I'm Asian and have been to the new Korea and Japan and the old guys think about the old days of their women and the new guys wish for the same taught to them by their fathers that is why they are here along with the sex the new generation of women in their own country don't put up any longer. The macho thinking seems to be handed down to them but not exactly like the old sumuria thinking days.

I've been in Thailand a long time and being Asian Thai women meet and want to stay with me and it's not because I'm handsome man. I don't know how many times Thai women have told me I look like them and that being said I'm half way there along with as you say we pay more at the clubs that is the best of both worlds along with when they walk down the street with us they are not looked apon as working girls like they are looked at when they are with a white guy!

In the end, even educated men beat their women no matter where they come from?

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 2

snippet from #16

aren't much different."

When it comes to P4P, this is what attracts Japanese/Korean and even western men to Thai women. They basically take care of us the old fashion way in more ways than one.

It'd be nice if they could maintain this "taking care of their men" mentality while at the same time feeling powerful enough to stand up to abuse. In western countries some of the feminist-inspired women act like men are villains and act like to take care of a husband in the traditional way is somehow tantamount to surrendering to the man. Those types of sharp-clawed feminists are the opposite extreme of the man who feels "sexually entitled".

This also reminds me of the arguments given by many Arabian and other Muslim men such as Malaysians - and also by a judge in Indonesia recently - that women who don't cover up are "asking" to be raped. Hope that people will stand up to this nonsense, again without resorting to the opposite extreme, that men are somehow villains.

Edited by squarethecircle

Don't give her the credit card in the first place...problem solved....Hahahahha

snippet from #16

aren't much different."

I agree in someways and in someways I don't? Sure Korea and Japans education is far more better than Thailand will ever be in my life time. In my opinion due to education in these countries basically to say in short their women don't put up with their macho bullshit any longer. They expect more from their men and at the same time know like the western women are going to speak their peace and do it with a educated point of view? This is exactly what I'm saying and also articles written by Thais are saying that women need to educate themselves better with more self respect for themselves and have a greater expectation from their own men under that happens they will continue to be second class and wait hand and foot to their men even when they are bunch of useless you know what?

When it comes to P4P, this is what attracts Japanese/Korean and even western men to Thai women. They basically take care of us the old fashion way in more ways than one. I'm Asian and have been to the new Korea and Japan and the old guys think about the old days of their women and the new guys wish for the same taught to them by their fathers that is why they are here along with the sex the new generation of women in their own country don't put up any longer. The macho thinking seems to be handed down to them but not exactly like the old sumuria thinking days.

I've been in Thailand a long time and being Asian Thai women meet and want to stay with me and it's not because I'm handsome man. I don't know how many times Thai women have told me I look like them and that being said I'm half way there along with as you say we pay more at the clubs that is the best of both worlds along with when they walk down the street with us they are not looked apon as working girls like they are looked at when they are with a white guy!

There is much wisdom in your words. Mainstream Thai people as well as some expats with experience living here still usually know who bar girls are even if they are with asian guys. Their demeanor, attitudes, physical appearance, spoken/written Thai, accent.

Soi Taniya in BKK is a street with a multitude of entertainment venues catering to Japanese males. The girls are basically standard sukhumwit/Nana style but dressed to appeal to Japanese. Yes I know there are some Chinese/Thai looking ones at more upscale venues. Girls at Thermae also try to appeal to Japanese but all it takes is to listen to 1 minute of those girls talking to know there is not too much upstairs and their sole quest is money. Even the better looking ones. How to put it; they're mentalities(very limited) are like participants on the Jerry Springer TV show (USA) A good Japanese friend that lives in Thailand told me on occasion a lady can be fun but gets boring very fast.

Edited by atyclb

snippet from #16

aren't much different."

"In the end, even educated men beat their women no matter where they come from?"

What? I can't believe I'm reading this. I hope this last sentence is some kind of twisted attempt at irony or levity on your part, but I fear it is not. It appears to be an utterly demented and despicable thing to say. I hope you are not trying to normalize violence toward women.

Edited by DeepInTheForest

Luckily our PM will stamp out this objectionable male attitude, allegedly that is.

Personally I don't mind the foot stamping, but it's the high spike heels which worry me somewhat rolleyes.gif

snippet from #16

aren't much different."

"In the end, even educated men beat their women no matter where they come from?"

What? I can't believe I'm reading this. I hope this last sentence is some kind of twisted attempt at irony or levity on your part, but I fear it is not. It appears to be an utterly demented and despicable thing to say. I hope you are not trying to normalize violence toward women.

Oh no! I don't know how you got that impression? Maybe I wasn't clear? All I'm saying is although this article refers to SEA, abused towards women happens throughout the world and not only because of the lack of education. We see today increase laws even in the U.S. that abusing women is unacceptable regardless coming from uneducated or educated. There are generally no limits to who could be a abuser?

As I noted in a past post that I personally dislike anyone that abuses or hits a women I consider them cowards and I don't care where they come from so saying that I certainly would never try to normalize violence toward women or anyone!

snippet from #16

aren't much different."

Oh no! I don't know how you got that impression? Maybe I wasn't clear? All I'm saying is although this article refers to SEA, abused towards women happens throughout the world and not only because of the lack of education. We see today increase laws even in the U.S. that abusing women is unacceptable regardless coming from uneducated or educated. There are generally no limits to who could be a abuser?

As I noted in a past post that I personally dislike anyone that abuses or hits a women I consider them cowards and I don't care where they come from so saying that I certainly would never try to normalize violence toward women or anyone!

Ah, now I understand what you were getting at. Thanks for the clarification. It is true enough. Violence toward women does not know class or political boundaries, though it is worse in some places than in others.

In rural Thailand, 47 per cent of women reported experiencing sexual and/or physical violence by their partners

Wow ! ohmy.png
The other 43 percent have THAI husbands.....

Is that supposed to add up to 100 percent?

no, at least 10% are lesbians and tomboys :)

Here in Thailand it is still a mans world far moreso than in the Western Countries and the men get away with "nearly anything" they want concerning women and how they treat women...if they want...meaning the majority do not treat the women badly rather only a small percent make the rest of the men look bad....but more than enough to be of serious concern to women and the rest of society.

Meantime there is still plenty of rape going on in the supposedly more civilised western countries and it is far more publicised.

** The amount of perpetrated rape in the westernised countries is also extremely disturbing and reflects very badly on men overall while being a social issue that men in unity have to resolve rather than having enforced laws and or the rest of society having to harshly force men to comply with higher levels of social decorum**

There is plenty of info and data concerning rape and the whole social issue of rape perpetrated by men against women in countries such as the U.S.A. and Canada and the other said to be westernised countries.

Meantime what has to be factored in is the amount of violence perpetrated by women against men that commonly goes unheared of and seldom if ever publicised.

Years ago I started to look up the info and data concerning rape ( not a pretty picture at all especially when it is brutal rape )

and "also" learned that often ( as in all too often ) a significant percent of the domestic violence is perpetrated by women.

In some states the records show that up to 40% plus of the violence between men and women is perpetrated by women.

By no means is that an excuse or argument on behalf of rape against women or a means to belittle rape victims rather it is revealing the fact that women can also be considered violent and abusive and down right mean and nasty also.

In the poor countries the women are at a great disadvantage and continually subjected to historic male mentalities and their male "sexual libidos" and their practised sense of sexual "entitlement" concerning how they can and or often do treat the women while their crimes against the women are most often perpetrated with impunity.