Hitler Fashion Statements Confuse, Offend Tourists In Thailand

webfact

My University educated girlfriend never even heard of WWII. A bit shocking they don't teach any type of history. I've shown many Thai people a swastika and asked them what it means. Or if they know who hitler was. Still have not had one person know what they are. From what I know, it's mostly young people who are wearing these clothes. Same as young people every where. They like to get a reaction from people. Don't waste your time giving them one.

My university educated wife knows all about WWII. Take yours back and get a Chula grad.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My University educated girlfriend never even heard of WWII. A bit shocking they don't teach any type of history. I've shown many Thai people a swastika and asked them what it means. Or if they know who hitler was. Still have not had one person know what they are. From what I know, it's mostly young people who are wearing these clothes. Same as young people every where. They like to get a reaction from people. Don't waste your time giving them one.

My university educated wife knows all about WWII. Take yours back and get a Chula grad.

hahaha She studied food science at Burapha. I'm guessing they don't have many elective classes outside of their field of study.

Well being completely ignorant of it, is better than knowingly offending someone. But then again, they also reckon that the Japan just passed through here after the Thais graciously allowed them in.

Surely this is about sensitivity, something rather lacking sometimes.

I love the way that Thais stand still in public when the National Anthem is played

but I can't understand what someone was thinking when he wore a tee shirt saying Merry Clitoris

to a funeral! Well it was late April after all!

• Like 1

My wife is a Thammasat grad, and she didn't know much at all about it. I'm sure there are some Harvard grads (among others from every learning institution in the world) who also don't know or can't recall. Your comment is unnecessarily personal and attacking which really reflects poorly on you. How could you belittle someone's significant other on an anonymous board?

And, Thammasat and Chula (Assumption), they are not all they are cracked up to be. There are some students at the upper end in those universities, but students are still part of the greater Thai education system with its methods of rote memorization over creative, introspective and reflective thinking and problem solving.

Wanna know how I know? I interview/hire these kids nearly every couple of months for positions in our firm.

Boring

Edited by PaullyW
  • Like 1

hahaha She studied food science at Burapha. I'm guessing they don't have many elective classes outside of their field of study.

Also it depends on how much one wants to discuss WWII at home at night. I have found that after we watch the history channel in Thai that it is best for me to shut up; because she has a scowl on her face when confronted by the recent specials about Japan in Asia and the Thai assistance during WWII.

My wife is a Thammasat grad, and she didn't know much at all about it. I'm sure there are some Harvard grads (among others from every learning institution in the world) who also don't know or can't recall. Your comment is unnecessarily personal and attacking which really reflects poorly on you. How could you belittle someone's significant other on an anonymous board?

Boring

It was a humor; like anyone would pick a wife based on history knowledge ya ya.

My old GF doesn't have a clue but she went to school about forty five years ago. The guy who takes care of the house and grounds graduated from high school about twenty years ago and he knows all about Hitler. But I would expect he is an exception to the rule as he is an avid reader of many books. Rare in Esaan I think.

Mine as well, the views are a bit strange and I guess she doesn't know the exact details but in overview of course.

But I guess she knows more details about the Japanese in the WW2 than I. Checking on my staff, they all know Hitler, and WWII. I guess not much detail but they have heard about it....Universities are very different in Thailand....some good, some you only pay there and sit there others you only pay :-))

My feeling about this is that being mocked like that is much more damaging for Hitler's image, ridiculizing him, than permanent consorship fueled by a mix of anger, fear and respect.

Think about it: which famous persons that were really great got such a treatment of being ridiculed like that?

The Thais, even those who know the whole story, see the funny side of it, and I do too.

No way that a girl wearing a Hitler-themed pyjama in the street could inspire any positive feelings or respect for Hitler, LOL.

It's a bit like Charlie Chaplin's "Dictator".

Edited by manarak

Don't be naive thinking that they don't know who Hittler was, I happend to be Jewish, and when I was at colledge-here- I met once one guy in with a t-shirt with a portrait of hitler and saying: "Kill the Jews whereever you find them, Allah will help yoy" i went to the guy and I told him that I was a Jew, I ask him if he knew who Hittler was and he told me that he did , I was surprised, I asked him if he knew how many millions of jews Hittler killed- including my grandpa and almost all his familly- he told me that he knew it and that Thailand was a friend of Hittler, that Jews deserved to die and that was it, I couldnt take it any more so I beat the hell out of him, and after that people is the uni knew that I was a jew, an they attacked me but my buddhist friends helped me( this is not a problem of relligions, I think , since I dont believe in god), so don't think that they dont know who hitler was, and if you can read thai you will see that many young thais( most of them muslims) wear T-shirts preaching hate against the jews etc

My wife fully understands how historical accounts of the Eastern front were primary shaped by self-serving source material of the German Army and how this became generally accepted as the closest version of historiographic truth. As a mater of fact, she is even regularly participating in the village women's reenactment of the battle of Pearl Harbor.

Edited by Morakot

Don't be naive thinking that they don't know who Hittler was, I happend to be Jewish, and when I was at colledge-here- I met once one guy in with a t-shirt with a portrait of hitler and saying: "Kill the Jews whereever you find them, Allah will help yoy" i went to the guy and I told him that I was a Jew, I ask him if he knew who Hittler was and he told me that he did , I was surprised, I asked him if he knew how many millions of jews Hittler killed- including my grandpa and almost all his familly- he told me that he knew it and that Thailand was a friend of Hittler, that Jews deserved to die and that was it, I couldnt take it any more so I beat the hell out of him, and after that people is the uni knew that I was a jew, an they attacked me but my buddhist friends helped me( this is not a problem of relligions, I think , since I dont believe in god), so don't think that they dont know who hitler was, and if you can read thai you will see that many young thais( most of them muslims) wear T-shirts preaching hate against the jews etc

I would say you are a troll, if Hitler killed your Grandfather you would know how to spell him.

If you beat the hell out of him, for sure you are the worse of you two. One wearing a TShirts and talks nonsense one is beating people.....

• Like 1

Oh, the hitler thread again. Whoopee. All we need now is a thread full of raging farang complaining about being called farang and our day will be complete.

Yesterday a couple of Thai kids laughed as I went past them and when I asked them why they laughed they replied because you are farang that looks like Hitler. House is on the market, car on the market and I'm leaving and going back to UK.

Just because a couple of stupid kids laughed at you you're going to run away? I think there's more to this story than you're telling us. Come clean!

I would say you are a troll, if Hitler killed your Grandfather you would know how to spell him.If you beat the hell out of him, for sure you are the worse of you two. One wearing a TShirts and talks nonsense one is beating people.....

Agree 100%

I would say you are a troll, if Hitler killed your Grandfather you would know how to spell him.

If you beat the hell out of him, for sure you are the worse of you two. One wearing a TShirts and talks nonsense one is beating people.....

And I would say that u r stupid or a chicken or maybe a combination of both if u see people that intent to kill ur people, that praise Hittler and u dont do something about it, especially when I said to that POS that Hittler had killed my grandpa.

What can I say? I see t-shirts, swastikas on touringcars, helmets etc. Sure the 2th world war should be forgotten by now, but there are still living people who doesn't like this sh@t. What I think is the most offending of all, it that the thai who use/wear this, do not have any respect. While they still complain about the Birmese who kick ass hundereds of years a go.

I couldnt take it any more so I beat the hell out of him

Please tell me what part of Thailand you live in, so I can avoid you.

Do you make a point of regularly beating the shit out of people who dont agree with your personal point of view?

The hub of "I-was-brainwashed-so-I-didn't--know"whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

More like "I-was-never-educated-so-I-didn't-know"

Hitler had a physical ridiculous image, so it is obvious that the Thais take it from there, but by now they should be aware of the real character and avoid this kind of fashion statements. I can't imagine them doing the same with Pol Pot (better not to give them ideas).

-Pol Pot- ?

Wait 50 years ! whistling.gif

• Like 1

Do you make a point of regularly beating the shit out of people who dont agree with your personal point of view?

I live in Bangkok, and if ur can take that some one tell you in ur face that Hittler killed ur grandpa and it was ok, then dont worry, I dont wanna meet you neither.

He may be a troll but saying the Jews deserve to die directly to a Jew invites a beating, quite reasonably. It's hardly a mere point of view. It's a racist, genocidal provocation.

Exactly! an regarding to the trolling thing.... trolling who? i mean this is a personal and sensitive stuff to be kidding with, not a topic to kid about.

Oh, the hitler thread again. Whoopee. All we need now is a thread full of raging farang complaining about being called farang and our day will be complete.

Yesterday a couple of Thai kids laughed as I went past them and when I asked them why they laughed they replied because you are farang that looks like Hitler. House is on the market, car on the market and I'm leaving and going back to UK.

how much you want for the car?

• Like 2

I live in Bangkok, and if ur can take that some one tell you in ur face that Hittler killed ur grandpa and it was ok, then dont worry, I dont wanna meet you neither.

It may be a bit off topic but you brought it up where you live. I thought you said in another thread you could not stay in Thailand because you do no qualify for a long term visa.