Indian Grub At Sausage King

jonwilly

COD.

There are TWO restaurants in town where COD is on the menue.

Yummy is B210 for COD & Chips and Monkey Kitchen is B239 for their US East Coast version of Fish & Chips with COD.

Yummy is best for us Brits. Onest.

If SK follows his plans there will be THREE.

john

Why oh Why should COD not be on sale in CM ?

So, jonwilly, what's the deal?

Cod and Haddock are not widely sold in Thailand because these Atlantic fish are EXPENSIVE to import. Personally, if locally available, I am willing to pay that high price for the real thing once in a while. Same for the "kho-khun" beef - expensive, but delicious!

Yummy Pizza (Tony) has now determined that the nice fish & chips he's added to his menu is not cod, as listed. Is this correct? So what is it?

What about Monkey Kitchen - is it cod, or is it not? I doubt if it's cod, but who really cares?

Big C Hang Dong is now carrying the dreaded Panga Fish, labeling it as "pla sawai" (ปลาสวาย). The Panga Fish has been discussed extensively in another thread on TV Forum.

Happy Dining!

It's Pacific Cod processed in China, that's what's on the package, could be horse fish though...lol

Sounds good. We'll check it out soon.

COD.

Yummy is B210 for COD & Chips and Monkey Kitchen is B239 for their US East Coast version of Fish & Chips with COD.

john

So, jonwilly, what's the deal?

Cod and Haddock are not widely sold in Thailand because these Atlantic fish are EXPENSIVE to import. Personally, if locally available, I am willing to pay that high price for the real thing once in a while. Same for the "kho-khun" beef - expensive, but delicious!

Yummy Pizza (Tony) has now determined that the nice fish & chips he's added to his menu is not cod, as listed. Is this correct? So what is it?

What about Monkey Kitchen - is it cod, or is it not? I doubt if it's cod, but who really cares?

Big C Hang Dong is now carrying the dreaded Panga Fish, labeling it as "pla sawai" (ปลาสวาย). The Panga Fish has been discussed extensively in another thread on TV Forum.

Happy Dining!

It's Pacific Cod processed in China, that's what's on the package, could be horse fish though...lol

Sounds good. We'll check it out soon.

why havent you tried cobia,its a sea fish and the taste and texture is good,a lot of take-aways in the uk got caught selling it as cod as you couldnt tell the diff.it was known as cobba. 180bht.a kilo makro

Hmmm, never saw that before, i will definately keep an eye out for it,

as this Pacific cod is rather expensive, thanks for the tip meat boy!

there was quite a lot of posts in the western food forum on the best fish,as i was brought up on fish and six loved cod and haddock,but since i have lived here i missed my fish till this [cobia] was recomended by someone in patts.with a fish and chip shop,deep fried in batter i wont have nothing else.

there was quite a lot of posts in the western food forum on the best fish,as i was brought up on fish and six loved cod and haddock,but since i have lived here i missed my fish till this [cobia] was recomended by someone in patts.with a fish and chip shop,deep fried in batter i wont have nothing else.

This thread began with sausages at Sausage King, and then moved to cod fish at Yummy Pizza. Both topics of interest to many, I am sure.

Meatboy brought to our attention an ocean (saltwater) fish available in Thailand that he said is a very good substitute for the Atlantic cod and haddock used in authentic English fish & chips. It's cobia fish, a sustainable white fish fillet that is a high-quality alternative to the more costly and often difficult to obtain grouper, red snapper, halibut, mahi mahi, and cod. It's also known as Black Kingfish, but in Thailand it's better known as "pla-chon tha-le" (ปลาช่อนทะเล). This fish is now being commercially farmed in the Phuket area. It's nalso available in frozen fillets in Makro (Hang Dong), and I tried it yesterday evening. Very nice fish!

The Thai name given to this fish is quite misleading. The term can mean "ocean snakehead fish," but I don't think these two fish are of the same species at all. You may order "copia" and be served "snakehead"!

Anyone care to start another "fish & chips" thread?

This thread began with sausages at Sausage King, and then moved to cod fish at Yummy Pizza. Both topics of interest to many, I am sure.

Meatboy brought to our attention an ocean (saltwater) fish available in Thailand that he said is a very good substitute for the Atlantic cod and haddock used in authentic English fish & chips. It's cobia fish, a sustainable white fish fillet that is a high-quality alternative to the more costly and often difficult to obtain grouper, red snapper, halibut, mahi mahi, and cod. It's also known as Black Kingfish, but in Thailand it's better known as "pla-chon tha-le" (ปลาช่อนทะเล). This fish is now being commercially farmed in the Phuket area. It's nalso available in frozen fillets in Makro (Hang Dong), and I tried it yesterday evening. Very nice fish!

The Thai name given to this fish is quite misleading. The term can mean "ocean snakehead fish," but I don't think these two fish are of the same species at all. You may order "copia" and be served "snakehead"!

Anyone care to start another "fish & chips" thread?

I was just in Makro today and seen this Copia fish, but did not buy because it did not look very appetizing,as it was a brownish colour,and looking it up on Google it says its an oily fish,while Cod is not except for the livers, I have tried NZ Hokki,Alaska Pollock both from Makro and they also had an oily after taste,so the wife had to eat them ,she who will eat anything !, So Mekong Bob did it have an oily taste?

They also have Grouper at Makro, the fillets are about size of large Goldfish !, if they are catching small stuff like that no wonder there is

no fish left in the Ocean.Think the nearest thing to Cod available here would be Red Snapper or White Snapper (Burimundi) and they sometimes have large fresh fillets at Makro and Rim Ping, and the skin is still on so better chance you get what you are paying for.

regards Worgeordie

COBIA is ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS when i lived in Belize when the fishermen caught a cobia it was NEVER SOLD but kept because it is that tasy had no idea it was in Macro and will be sure to pick some up I resume its in the frozen section, is it labelled in thai or english

COD.

john

cheers

I was just in Makro today and seen this Copia fish, but did not buy because it did not look very appetizing,as it was a brownish colour,and looking it up on Google it says its an oily fish,while Cod is not except for the livers, I have tried NZ Hokki,Alaska Pollock both from Makro and they also had an oily after taste,so the wife had to eat them ,she who will eat anything !, So Mekong Bob did it have an oily taste?

Does not sound like it is Cobia then since Cobia is a white chunky meat similar to cod

• Like 1

Does not sound like it is Cobia then since Cobia is a white chunky meat similar to cod

The cobia I bought at Makro yesterday was labeled in both English & Thai (cobia & pla-chon tha-le) fish "slices" (fillets). White chunks with subtle tan streaks. Not snow-white like the snowfish served in Zen Restaurant, but not brown chunks either. The taste was excellent, not oily at all. The clear plastic bag was labeled "Twin Fish" Frozen Cobia Slice, produced in Samut Sakhon Province by Ao Thai Frozen Foods, net weight 800 grams, 190 Thai baht.. A bit of "freezer burn" on the contents, no big deal.

The cobia I bought at Makro yesterday was labeled in both English & Thai (cobia & pla-chon tha-le) fish "slices" (fillets). White chunks with subtle tan streaks. Not snow-white like the snowfish served in Zen Restaurant, but not brown chunks either. The taste was excellent, not oily at all. The clear plastic bag was labeled "Twin Fish" Frozen Cobia Slice, produced in Samut Sakhon Province by Ao Thai Frozen Foods, net weight 800 grams, 190 Thai baht.. A bit of "freezer burn" on the contents, no big deal.

Which Makro? They don't always stock the same stuff.

Which Makro? They don't always stock the same stuff.

Makro Hang Dong, near Big C. I'm beginning to think I should have bought some shares in Ao Thai Frozen Foods! Good luck!

• Like 1

Well, myself, Mrs Pikey and assorted friends all piled over to Sausage King to feast on the doner and to a man, we were not disappointed. An absolutely huge portion of really good lamb kebab with salad e.t.c all presented on a good sized pitta and accompanied by 3 or 4 sauces plus chopped onions. Rolled it all up and got going. Full as a boot by the time we'd all finished.

The place was packed and Rob and his staff were rushed off their feet but the service was definitely not slow and everything came with a smile.

If I had to criticize anything, it would be that the doner meat could have been a bit warmer but given that it was the first attempt, it was tip-top and I hope it becomes a regular thing. Thanks for putting it on Rob.

Cheers,

Pikey.

• Like 1

I had never had a donner kabab before coming to Thailand, but have been told the ones at Zoe in Yellow are pretty authentic and they taste good to me. What do the experts think?

NOTHING LIKE it UG

The ones we are talking about are Lamb never seen one in the 8 years I have been here this is the first time I had one that was remotely like one back home in the UK.

I enjoyed the DONER kebab today at Sausage King Gardent Restaurant. I used to make them 30 years ago (had a chip shop and kebabs) and while Robs was very good I said to him I could not place what was missing from it we had a chat about the Lamb and that is when I realized what it was, Doner is made from the underbelly of Lambs the fatty part either side as they slit the stomach open, it has lots of fat and Rob used pure lamb because the bellys were not available here in Thailandit was still really tasty but very lean and could of done with a lot more fat in it but certainly I am not complaining.

Looking forward to the next one.

Edited by DiamondKing
  • Like 2

It needed more sliced onions in it.

Apart from that very good.

Another bloke thought there was to much onion, another thought the onions were over cooked, another thought they were under done, another don't like raw onions, come on now,fellas,be thankful you're getting what you are getting,a few years back there was nothing like this, show some gratitude and don't post trivial, unnecessary remarks, if you want more onions, ask for em!! we are here to serve your every need!!! whistling.gif

• Like 2

It needed more sliced onions in it.

Apart from that very good.

Another bloke thought there was to much onion, another thought the onions were over cooked, another thought they were under done, another don't like raw onions, come on now,fellas,be thankful you're getting what you are getting,a few years back there was nothing like this, show some gratitude and don't post trivial, unnecessary remarks, if you want more onions, ask for em!! we are here to serve your every need!!! whistling.gif

I thought they were always raw?

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday is Donner kebab day at sausage king he told me tonight. He has
some great food on his menu. I had a fill and went to cafe vino which is
ok for only the wine buffet. Love sk place and prices and think
everyone should try at some point.

I had never had a donner kabab before coming to Thailand, but have been told the ones at Zoe in Yellow are pretty authentic and they taste good to me. What do the experts think?

NOTHING LIKE it UG

The ones we are talking about are Lamb never seen one in the 8 years I have been here this is the first time I had one that was remotely like one back home in the UK.

I enjoyed the DONER kebab today at Sausage King Gardent Restaurant. I used to make them 30 years ago (had a chip shop and kebabs) and while Robs was very good I said to him I could not place what was missing from it we had a chat about the Lamb and that is when I realized what it was, Doner is made from the underbelly of Lambs the fatty part either side as they slit the stomach open, it has lots of fat and Rob used pure lamb because the bellys were not available here in Thailandit was still really tasty but very lean and could of done with a lot more fat in it but certainly I am not complaining.

Looking forward to the next one.