What To Eat To Lose Weight In Thailand?

MrHammer

Sugar is a bigger potential evil than just the calories it brings.

For many people who have poor digestion or low hydrochloric stomach acid it is a potential disaster. Many people as they get older suffer from low hydrochloric stomach acid but you don't have to be older to suffer from this condition.

The symptoms are similar to high acid with reflux and IBS, bloating etc common symptoms.

When you add sugar into a person with these problems and there are a lot of people suffering this which goes undiagnosed in many cases you get even more problems like candida and yeast overgrowth in the digestive tract. This leads to all sorts of health issues including things like malabsorption vit b deficiency, liver issues, osteoporosis, heart disease etc.

If you have ridges in your fingernails you may want to check out if you are suffering from low hydrochloric acid in your stomach.

This is all rather depressing.....

Here's some good news for once. A thumbs up for red meatthumbsup.gif

"why red meat is good for you"

http://chriskresser.com/does-red-meat-cause-inflammation?inf_contact_key=69e3103a746635b463d7b43e6acdee8879b3b89095dfbe123175b84f946796d2

The kefir should help with most digestive issues so you shouldn't need to worry too much.

Interesting to note that frying or grilling red meat is not that good for you according to the link you provided. I would also add that you should try to get organic cuts of red meat because what our ancestors ate and what we are eating now bears very little resemblance.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For many people who have poor digestion or low hydrochloric stomach acid it is a potential disaster. Many people as they get older suffer from low hydrochloric stomach acid but you don't have to be older to suffer from this condition.

The symptoms are similar to high acid with reflux and IBS, bloating etc common symptoms.

When you add sugar into a person with these problems and there are a lot of people suffering this which goes undiagnosed in many cases you get even more problems like candida and yeast overgrowth in the digestive tract. This leads to all sorts of health issues including things like malabsorption vit b deficiency, liver issues, osteoporosis, heart disease etc.

If you have ridges in your fingernails you may want to check out if you are suffering from low hydrochloric acid in your stomach.

I just cut sugar completely out of my diet, I was not trying to lose weight particularly, it was more for the reasons you say, but I quickly lost 5 kilo's

"Whats making you fat, is it all the running"

I just cut sugar completely out of my diet, I was not trying to lose weight particularly, it was more for the reasons you say, but I quickly lost 5 kilo's

Of course you'll lose weight if you cut out sugar. That could be a lot of extra calories you don't need.

Cut calories - lose weight. It's works every time.

(here's comes Jsixpack to set me straight again...... smile.png )

That video is a classic. Thanks for posting it.

Edited by tropo

Yeah starting at 112kg meant that my weight flies off relatively quickly, particularly as I did have a really terrible diet previously (Yum Mu Grob is probably my favourite Thai dish lol. mmmm crispy fatty pork...., and drinking around 1L of soft drink a day didn't help either lol), not to mention that I hadn't done much exercise for a year or so.

Losing weight can be easy for someone who has a very rich diet because it's easy to identify the culprits. I have a friend who's struggling and he doesn't eat much at all never mind obvious junk.

I'm not a doctor, but I had the same symptoms. It turned out to be low thyroid. Once my thyroid enzymes were back in tolerances, my weight issues went away.

Yeah starting at 112kg meant that my weight flies off relatively quickly, particularly as I did have a really terrible diet previously (Yum Mu Grob is probably my favourite Thai dish lol. mmmm crispy fatty pork...., and drinking around 1L of soft drink a day didn't help either lol), not to mention that I hadn't done much exercise for a year or so.

Losing weight can be easy for someone who has a very rich diet because it's easy to identify the culprits. I have a friend who's struggling and he doesn't eat much at all never mind obvious junk.

I'm not a doctor, but I had the same symptoms. It turned out to be low thyroid. Once my thyroid enzymes were back in tolerances, my weight issues went away.

How long for it to go away ?

Here's some good news for once. A thumbs up for red meatthumbsup.gif

http://chriskresser.com/does-red-meat-cause-inflammation?inf_contact_key=69e3103a746635b463d7b43e6acdee8879b3b89095dfbe123175b84f946796d2

The kefir should help with most digestive issues so you shouldn't need to worry too much.

Interesting to note that frying or grilling red meat is not that good for you according to the link you provided. I would also add that you should try to get organic cuts of red meat because what our ancestors ate and what we are eating now bears very little resemblance.

Or at least grass fed beef. I have a dealer who gets his stuff from NZ, good stuff!

Of course you'll lose weight if you cut out sugar. That could be a lot of extra calories you don't need.

The sugar is more than just calories though....it is actually anti-nutritive. Sugar, processed grains, alcohol - all end up leaching nutrition from your body - causing inflammation, etc.

The sugar is more than just calories though....it is actually anti-nutritive. Sugar, processed grains, alcohol - all end up leaching nutrition from your body - causing inflammation, etc.

Yes, but here we're mainly discussing weight loss rather than the in and outs of a healthy diet.

I've gone back to real sugar in my coffee. I'm taking a break from artificial sweeteners and stevia.

Here's some good news for once. A thumbs up for red meat:thumbsup:

Or at least grass fed beef. I have a dealer who gets his stuff from NZ, good stuff!
Yes grass fed is best and the quality of meat in NZ is very high.

Yes, but here we're mainly discussing weight loss rather than the in and outs of a healthy diet.

I've gone back to real sugar in my coffee. I'm taking a break from artificial sweeteners and stevia.

Stevia is probably the best option if you want something that is not sugar but is sugar like. It is a herb isn't it.

What about honey that is certainly better than refined sugar although you would want a good natural honey?

I've decided to do a version of intermittent fasting called the Warrior Diet by Ori Hoffmekler.

The basic idea is to only eat one large meal - a feast - at night and fast during the day except for some juice, fruit and nuts. I've done this before and for me it can work.

I need something that is simple and allows me to eat pretty much what I want. This diet does this, except on it, when you eat your one large meal you start with eating soup, then greens, then meat and last carbs, then sweets if you're still up for it. This is quite effective in allowing you to eat whatever you like while not eating too much of the bad stuff as you quelch the hunger eating greens and meat - not carbs as is usual.

Well, it's not for everyone, many will probably think it is unhealthy. Personally, this is one of the few diets I can manage, since I would hate thinking about what food to eat or not all the time. This is much simpler. Also gives you more focus during the day as strange as it may sound. None of that carb-tiredness around noon.

Add to that I am going to get out the apartment in the morning everyday and walk to a coffeeshop/co-working space. Since I work for myself, it is much too tempting to spend 8 hours on the sofa. I assume that is a big reason for my overweight. Training is going to be 45 minutes of cardio every day (cycling, swimming) along with 2 heavy weights sessions a week.

Goal is to lose 1 kg a week for 10 kg in 3 months.

Might make a new thread and update it once I get going.

No rice.

No potatoes.

No bread.

Needless to say, no alcohol.

In general, do not "drink calories" (that includes fruit juice)

Lots of protein...in REASONABLE portions (meaning, probably 1/3 of what you're used to eating). Think grilled meats and steamed fish. Easy to do in Thailand.

Eat a good protein-rich breakfast every day.

Eat several small meals a day (at least three), and no big ones.

Lots of drinks of cold water.

Do sprints: 8 seconds of running your absolute fastest, followed by 12 seconds of jogging at a regular pace. Repeat 60 times (until you've done 20 minutes). Do this three times a week. Lifting weights will not help you lose fat.

• Like 1

No rice.

No potatoes.

No bread.

Lots of protein...in REASONABLE portions (meaning, probably 1/3 of what you're used to eating). Think grilled meats and steamed fish. Easy to do in Thailand.

Do sprints: 8 seconds of running your absolute fastest, followed by 12 seconds of jogging at a regular pace. Repeat 60 times (until you've done 20 minutes). Do this three times a week. Lifting weights will not help you lose fat.

Oops, sorry, I took away your high-glycemic-index carbs and didn't offer you any replacements! Sweet potatoes and yams are good...if you must have rice, go with what the Thais call "red rice" (no self-respecting Thai eats it, since it's what they feed prisoners and pigs, but it's great stuff, and you can find it in Villa, Tops, etc., even Lotus). You can find couscous in Villa Sukh soi 5. Unfortunately, millet and quinoa are probably unavailable in Thailand, I bring them for friends in BKK from the US!

Stevia is probably the best option if you want something that is not sugar but is sugar like. It is a herb isn't it.

What about honey that is certainly better than refined sugar although you would want a good natural honey?

Stevia extract is from a plant of the same name, but it doesn't taste very nice in coffee... even when I'm using what is claimed to be an extra good formula with no after taste it spoils the coffee. There's no point paying big money for quality coffee and then messing it up with artificial sweeteners. Equal is the best sweetener for coffee I've found among the artificial sweeteners.

I use the stevia to sweeten other things though - such as my oats.

I could die from many things, but I don't think a couple of teaspoons of sugar everyday will hasten my end. I also take sugar with my chocolate.biggrin.png

Have you seen the price of good honey here in Thailand? I wouldn't waste it as a coffee sweetener.

Edited by tropo

No rice.

No potatoes.

No bread.

"lifting weights will not help you lose fat"?

The reality is that no exercise will help you lose fat if you're not on a calorie deficit. At least when you do weight training you've got a good chance of holding onto your muscle mass while you're in calorie deficit whereas running you'll lose the muscle too.

There are 100's of different ways to "lift weights" too. Some ways burn more calories than others. Fast weight training is nearly the same as HIIT (sprinting) with the benefit of keeping the muscles in good condition.

Sprinting is not an old person's exercise.... and most of the people on this forum are getting a bit long in the tooth for that.

It is like Joe Pesci said in Raging Bull, "you wanna lose weight you fat <deleted>, stop eatin..... it's simple, just stop eatin". I already posted my opinion, but the most efficacious dieters I have come across (women) swear by coming home some evenings and having only a bottle of wine for dinner.

No rice.

No potatoes.

No bread.

I agree with your food ideas but I beg to differ regarding exercise. Lifting weights will help lose fat as much as any other exercise will. Losing fat comes from a calorie deficit diet. Someone could run his arse off for 2 hours a day, burning 2000+ calories doing so, but if he eats more than those spent calories, the weight will not come off, and vice versa, if someone expends 2000 calories lifting weights, and only consumes 1500 calories, then the fat will come off.

• Like 1

No rice.

No potatoes.

No bread.

Sprinting is nice but not for everyone especially those with a little extra weight to loose. Lifting will help you loose fat just as any other exercise and help you hold on to muscle. There is also a nice extra bonus the muscle that is damaged need to be repaired too and that cost calories too.

But like others have said its about the caloric deficit not about the exercise.

I sometimes do the sprinting thing on the rowing machine.. some call it HIIT or the tabata method, there is no denying its effectiveness. Though now some seem to think long low tense cardio is better as the afterburn of HIIT is not that much. I am not sure either way but I do know this sprinting and stuff like that does strain the central nervous system you can't do it as much as a normal jog. I still like to do it at times to mix things up and it is the best thing to increase your VOMAX

Many people recommend fruit, most fruit has a lot of sugar. If you want to lose wweight cut the white things from your diet; sugar, flour, rice, and I mean sugar in all its forms fruits and there juices are a major source of sugar.

• Like 1

There is a simple analogy that can help some folk - it's easier to put less in your tank than to spend hours in the gym. Too often we can eat our orses orf, akin to continually filling up your fuel tank in your car, but it's already full and you hardly drive it/use the fuel. I've successfully lost 13 kg from taking notes on blood group food association. Ever wondered why most Asians can eat all day and more and not get fat, yet you try do the same and pile it on? Most are not exercise freaks either. There are some great reading materials online and in bookstores about what foods certain blood types can digest more readily than others.

Can also take discussion on fried foods Asians consume and cholesterol etc, nutrition is another discussion entirely!

There is a simple analogy that can help some folk - it's easier to put less in your tank than to spend hours in the gym. Too often we can eat our orses orf, akin to continually filling up your fuel tank in your car, but it's already full and you hardly drive it/use the fuel. I've successfully lost 13 kg from taking notes on blood group food association. Ever wondered why most Asians can eat all day and more and not get fat, yet you try do the same and pile it on? Most are not exercise freaks either. There are some great reading materials online and in bookstores about what foods certain blood types can digest more readily than others. Can also take discussion on fried foods Asians consume and cholesterol etc, nutrition is another discussion entirely!

Too be honest i feel that theory is a total fraud, it might work because it limits certain things but the bases is totally wrong. I have read up on it and read what medical people say about it and they call it a fraud too. That is not an attack just my opinion.

But i do agree its easier to eat less then to burn it in the gym.

Edited by robblok

There is one surgeon I saw world famous for treating obesity whose analysis is initially on blood types (I was technically obese on the very lower end). It makes sense given the history of mankind and where the main groups of folk came from and what they were raised on. But everyone's different. Worked for me and the wife.

No rice.

No potatoes.

No bread.

Oops, sorry, I took away your high-glycemic-index carbs and didn't offer you any replacements! Sweet potatoes and yams are good...if you must have rice, go with what the Thais call "red rice" (no self-respecting Thai eats it, since it's what they feed prisoners and pigs, but it's great stuff, and you can find it in Villa, Tops, etc., even Lotus). You can find couscous in Villa Sukh soi 5. Unfortunately, millet and quinoa are probably unavailable in Thailand, I bring them for friends in BKK from the US!

The Foodland by my house has millet, quinoa, flax seed, etc. I would assume any other decent sized Foodland would stock it too.

There is one surgeon I saw world famous for treating obesity whose analysis is initially on blood types (I was technically obese on the very lower end). It makes sense given the history of mankind and where the main groups of folk came from and what they were raised on. But everyone's different. Worked for me and the wife.

If you look a bit deeper some real scientist poke holes in the theory, i was interested at first but after having read that i understood it was just a gimmic.

That it works is not because of the blood group but about making sure each blood groop limits a few things you would normally eat.

http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2010/12/blood-type-diet-primal-perspective.html

just one of many

Edited by robblok