What To Eat To Lose Weight In Thailand?

MrHammer

The thread has become a dogs dinner, surely appetite reaction depends on the individual and their training on that particular day? Tropo is of the opinion that exercising suppresses his appetite, what's true for him won't necessarily be true for others.

There is no doubt that resistance training is crucial for success but there's virtually no way you're average dieter is going to commit the time and effort that the weight training contingent on this thread do.

I reckon you guys should go start individual threads as to how to use weight training for weight loss, I would be interested in seeing what you come up with.

The thread will go the way it goes - no need to continually complain about it. It's still on topic even if you don't like the direction.

I'm not of the OPINION that exercise suppresses my appetite - it's a fact - I've been doing this a very long time. Whether it suppresses your appetite will depend on how hard you train.

I'll comment on threads, but I'm not about to offer free programs to internet strangers. That would be turning a pastime into a non-paying job. You can hire personal trainers for that.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thread has become a dogs dinner, surely appetite reaction depends on the individual and their training on that particular day? Tropo is of the opinion that exercising suppresses his appetite, what's true for him won't necessarily be true for others.

There is no doubt that resistance training is crucial for success but there's virtually no way you're average dieter is going to commit the time and effort that the weight training contingent on this thread do.

I reckon you guys should go start individual threads as to how to use weight training for weight loss, I would be interested in seeing what you come up with.

The thread will go the way it goes - no need to continually complain about it. It's still on topic even if you don't like the direction.

I'm not of the OPINION that exercise suppresses my appetite - it's a fact - I've been doing this a very long time. Whether it suppresses your appetite will depend on how hard you train.

I'll comment on threads, but I'm not about to offer free programs to internet strangers. That would be turning a pastime into a non-paying job. You can hire personal trainers for that.

The topic is What To Eat To Lose Weight In Thailand?

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

I see weight training during a diet more as a way to conserve your muscle (else you are sabotaging yourself) while loosing fat. You loose more lean body mass if you don't weight lift on a diet. That is a given, so just add it to not loose muscle and keep it up else your metabolic rate will suffer.

I did real lost 24kg last year by doing weight training and cardio (rowing) combined with a caloric deficit. It worked good it took me a year and I got in great shape. Now I am gaining a bit muscle and will try to go even lower in body fat but I am already way past normal people fat % wise now its just to see if i can get abs as in the pictures.

Thanks to Tropo i started believing in what was possible again, i always thought that after a certain age your doomed. At the moment i stopped the diet and eat a bit more to gain a bit of muscle.. but just a little bit not overeating not unhealthy stuff. Its also good to give my body a bit of a rest from constantly being in a caloric deficit. So later the last bit of fat loss might go faster.

Threads here always go this way from one subject to an other its hard to stay on subject anyway and posting it in a new thread often wont attract the attention.

I read about you being in a muay thai training camp and trying to shed a bit of weight if you want some info you can always post a topic and i will reply and help you to the best of my knowledge and wont get insulted if you don't like it as some things are not for everyone.

Less

Less

LOL. Yes, we debated that for quite a few pages at the start of this thread.

It basically still is eating healthy, lean proteins healthy fats, some people go low carb others not.

You can eat laab moo or gai if you want but have to make sure they dont put sugar or msg in it. There are quite a few things you can eat here but if you are already eating healthy and not drinking too much then it all comes down to lowering what you eat.

I still don't believe in magic ratio's and stuff, if you are already eating healthy and have cut out stuff like sugars (added ones) its just a question of reducing what you eat.

• Like 1

I see weight training during a diet more as a way to conserve your muscle (else you are sabotaging yourself) while loosing fat. You loose more lean body mass if you don't weight lift on a diet. That is a given, so just add it to not loose muscle and keep it up else your metabolic rate will suffer.

I did real lost 24kg last year by doing weight training and cardio (rowing) combined with a caloric deficit. It worked good it took me a year and I got in great shape. Now I am gaining a bit muscle and will try to go even lower in body fat but I am already way past normal people fat % wise now its just to see if i can get abs as in the pictures.

Thanks to Tropo i started believing in what was possible again, i always thought that after a certain age your doomed. At the moment i stopped the diet and eat a bit more to gain a bit of muscle.. but just a little bit not overeating not unhealthy stuff. Its also good to give my body a bit of a rest from constantly being in a caloric deficit. So later the last bit of fat loss might go faster.

Threads here always go this way from one subject to an other its hard to stay on subject anyway and posting it in a new thread often wont attract the attention.

I read about you being in a muay thai training camp and trying to shed a bit of weight if you want some info you can always post a topic and i will reply and help you to the best of my knowledge and wont get insulted if you don't like it as some things are not for everyone.

I'll go start the topic now robblok, I've been reluctant to tell the whole story as I attract more than my fair share of trolls. I am in full agreement with your post here and I was aware of the sabotage issue which is why I asked that you guys started your won threads in regards to weight training for weight loss, or possibly more accurately described as weight loss management.

I know I've got half a chance of you putting forward a programme that I can understand and follow, the other guy is a write off. I would take pride in helping others, I really would. smile.png

Most people don't train like you and especially middle aged people.

You wanted some evidence re cardio and resistance about appetite training and I have provided it which is what we were discussing.

I happen to agree with this based on my experience.

Until you come up with your own research and survey that proves otherwise I will stick with this study.

Perhaps, but a lot of people train harder than they do in these studies.

The only reason that I brought this up was to suggest that HARD weight sessions do have a significant impact on appetite. You're not going to see the studies about hard weight workouts because in the studies you linked they only use wimpy workout programs. Hard weight sessions would be considered inhumane by most of these study participants.

Maybe one day you'll actually do a hard weight session for 2 hours to test the difference.

This whole debate started when you questioned what I posted about aerobic activity and studies that linked it to eating less or supressing appetite. You didn't believe it and I provided the study via the link and that is that as far as I am concerned.

As you are aware I believe in doing cardio and resistance training for the best overall health results. I don't worry about weight too much because if you eat right and exercise regularly you wont have weight issues anyway.

This whole debate started when you questioned what I posted about aerobic activity and studies that linked it to eating less or supressing appetite. You didn't believe it and I provided the study via the link and that is that as far as I am concerned.

As you are aware I believe in doing cardio and resistance training for the best overall health results. I don't worry about weight too much because if you eat right and exercise regularly you wont have weight issues anyway.

I believe your studies showed results that pertained to the activities undertaken by unfit, obese people. The results were the results, however they don't have any relevance to advanced levels of training, either aerobic or weight training.

Secondly, weight training if performed at a reasonable pace is more aerobic than the "aerobic activities" the participants of the study were performing. They even consider walking to be an aerobic activity... so the whole concept of what is considered aerobic and non-aerobic is not adequately defined.

Basically the studies are meaningless for many reasons that I covered earlier.

You wanted some evidence re cardio and resistance about appetite training and I have provided it which is what we were discussing.

Until you come up with your own research and survey that proves otherwise I will stick with this study.

The only reason that I brought this up was to suggest that HARD weight sessions do have a significant impact on appetite. You're not going to see the studies about hard weight workouts because in the studies you linked they only use wimpy workout programs. Hard weight sessions would be considered inhumane by most of these study participants.

Maybe one day you'll actually do a hard weight session for 2 hours to test the difference.

I'm not sure that two hours of weights a day is necessarily healthy for you. I do about 45 minutes every other day and have gotten excellent results.

I'm not sure that two hours of weights a day is necessarily healthy for you. I do about 45 minutes every other day and have gotten excellent results.

When you've been working out this way for many years your body adapts, but this wasn't a discussion about what length of training time is optimum. I was discussing how my training sessions dull my appetite. I'm sure if I cut my sessions down to 45 minutes there wouldn't be much affect on my appetite.

Many say that the optimum is around 45 minutes because of cortisol. I used to do 2 hour workouts too now they are more like an hour. But i can workout fast as i don't have to wait for others and everything is near. Usually an hour or a bit more. I guess its all personal and you have to find what works for you.

I believe your studies showed results that pertained to the activities undertaken by unfit, obese people. The results were the results, however they don't have any relevance to advanced levels of training, either aerobic or weight training.

Secondly, weight training if performed at a reasonable pace is more aerobic than the "aerobic activities" the participants of the study were performing. They even consider walking to be an aerobic activity... so the whole concept of what is considered aerobic and non-aerobic is not adequately defined.

Basically the studies are meaningless for many reasons that I covered earlier.

People who are doing advanced training don't have to worry about losing weight because they are already fit and in good condition otherwise they couldn't do advanced training as they wouldn't be physically capable.

This thread is about losing weight and in that context information provided in those studies could be quite useful for people who are trying to lose weight quickly.

In other words advanced training means nothing for the vast majority of people who just want to lose some weight and do it as quickly as possible.

Edited by Tolley

In other words advanced training means nothing for the vast majority of people who just want to lose some weight and do it as quickly as possible.

Yes, but I know of at least 2 of the contributors to this forum who could be considered as advanced trainers and needed/wanted to lose fat. Being advanced does not necessarily mean being lean. I see advanced trainers everyday who are quite fat.

Do weight training at an steady pace, keeping heart rate moderate for the duration, and you don't need to do separate cardio sessions. In some circles this is called "circuit training". Probably one of the best ways to keep fit and strong.

Many say that the optimum is around 45 minutes because of cortisol. I used to do 2 hour workouts too now they are more like an hour. But i can workout fast as i don't have to wait for others and everything is near. Usually an hour or a bit more. I guess its all personal and you have to find what works for you.

Yeah, there's lot of reasons put forward to keep workouts short. GH, testosterone, cortisol....

You're suggesting that because I workout in a public gym that I'm training slower than you are... and that's why I need more time?

I never wait for anything. If something I want is occupied I immediately move onto something else. I train at a very steady pace. The limiting factor is my recovery, not people getting in the way.

20 - 30 minutes or so could be considered warmup/preparation time. I'm fastidious in this regard, always have been.

If I trained only an hour I would have to come into the gym nearly everyday. I did that most of last year - it's a drag. 2 hour training for me is 3 times per week. There's lots of time to rest and grow. Despite the shorter workout times, more frequent training can more easily lead to overuse injuries.

Yes, but I know of at least 2 of the contributors to this forum who could be considered as advanced trainers and needed/wanted to lose fat. Being advanced does not necessarily mean being lean. I see advanced trainers everyday who are quite fat.

Do weight training at an steady pace, keeping heart rate moderate for the duration, and you don't need to do separate cardio sessions. In some circles this is called "circuit training". Probably one of the best ways to keep fit and strong.

I like circuit training but haven't done it for years. I used to do it when I was playing competitive squash. I do my weights reasonably quickly and do supersets if I am in the mood but you really need to do a class for circuits so that you have all the equipment reserved and also to keep the motivation up. It was certainly good for me back in the day because I didn't want to get big just get stronger and have more endurance.

I like circuit training but haven't done it for years. I used to do it when I was playing competitive squash. I do my weights reasonably quickly and do supersets if I am in the mood but you really need to do a class for circuits so that you have all the equipment reserved and also to keep the motivation up. It was certainly good for me back in the day because I didn't want to get big just get stronger and have more endurance.

You can do circuit training in Tony's if you really want to. Just keep moving along from machine to machine. Upstairs in Sport World has a good selection of machines which usually aren't too busy. Just skip the ones which are occupied.

Yeah, there's lot of reasons put forward to keep workouts short. GH, testosterone, cortisol....

You're suggesting that because I workout in a public gym that I'm training slower than you are... and that's why I need more time?

I never wait for anything. If something I want is occupied I immediately move onto something else. I train at a very steady pace. The limiting factor is my recovery, not people getting in the way.

20 - 30 minutes or so could be considered warmup/preparation time. I'm fastidious in this regard, always have been.

If I trained only an hour I would have to come into the gym nearly everyday. I did that most of last year - it's a drag. 2 hour training for me is 3 times per week. There's lots of time to rest and grow. Despite the shorter workout times, more frequent training can more easily lead to overuse injuries.

Its choosing what you like more plus what is more likely to affect you and to be honest I would not know for sure either way. What is worse training too long or like you said too many days. In the end just do what it is you like best and if you have progress then its ok.

That is the thing many things are individual and if you think 3 times a week is more bearable for you then go for it. If I think 4-5 times is better for me I would do that as in the end doing it in a way you like and keeping it up would be better as stopping prematurely.

I think consistency beats it all. Most of us who trained know that as we almost all have had our off time and the less you have of that is the better.

That is the thing many things are individual and if you think 3 times a week is more bearable for you then go for it. If I think 4-5 times is better for me I would do that as in the end doing it in a way you like and keeping it up would be better as stopping prematurely.

I don't train the way I do because it's more bearable. I'm training the way I do because I believe it is more effective. If I was convinced that 4 - 5 times per week was better, that's the way I would do it. I'll bear the system which I feel is optimum and I've tried it both ways. You'd be surprised how good the joints feel with longer rests between hard workouts.

Of course, as you know I'm rowing in between 3 x per week too, so that adds to my overall conditioning without having too much impact on recovery.

I don't train the way I do because it's more bearable. I'm training the way I do because I believe it is more effective. If I was convinced that 4 - 5 times per week was better, that's the way I would do it. I'll bear the system which I feel is optimum and I've tried it both ways. You'd be surprised how good the joints feel with longer rests between hard workouts.

Of course, as you know I'm rowing in between 3 x per week too, so that adds to my overall conditioning without having too much impact on recovery.

So its more bearable the other system taxed your joint to much this is optimum for the joints.. if its optimum for the muscles that is not yet proven and probably wont be.biggrin.png

So its more bearable the other system taxed your joint to much this is optimum for the joints.. if its optimum for the muscles that is not yet proven and probably wont be.biggrin.png

By default, if the joints are in better condition then the muscles will be gaining maximally. Once the joints go, you won't be developing any muscle, in fact they will shrink. They work as a team. By "joints" I'm also considering all the connective tissue - ligaments and tendons - that hold the bones and muscles together.

You'll appreciate this more if you ever develop arthritis in the joints. Your strength will drop off dramatically as well as your muscle mass around the diseased joints.

Edited by tropo

By default, if the joints are in better condition then the muscles will be gaining maximally. Once the joints go, you won't be developing any muscle, in fact they will shrink. They work as a team. By "joints" I'm also considering all the connective tissue - ligaments and tendons - that hold the bones and muscles together.

You'll appreciate this more if you ever develop arthritis in the joints. Your strength will drop off dramatically as well as your muscle mass around those diseased joints.

I thought the smilie was clear enough i was joking.

Anyway like i said before many things are just personal in how we train and what works best for us (within certain limits of course) You only know it once you try it and you have.

• Like 1

When you've been working out this way for many years your body adapts, but this wasn't a discussion about what length of training time is optimum. I was discussing how my training sessions dull my appetite. I'm sure if I cut my sessions down to 45 minutes there wouldn't be much affect on my appetite.
ok

Yeah, I hit my FF at a slow hour of the day so I have free reign more or less over the free weights. Burn it up for 45-60 minutes and then hit the sauna. smile.png

Anyway like i said before many things are just personal in how we train and what works best for us (within certain limits of course) You only know it once you try it and you have.

I did see the smiley... it's just that I'm passionate about joint recovery from hard weight training. When I structure my weekly workouts I consider the rest days joints get between workouts. This doesn't get enough attention in most programs... hence rotator cuff and elbow injuries are all too common.

• Like 1

I did see the smiley... it's just that I'm passionate about joint recovery from hard weight training. When I structure my weekly workouts I consider the rest days joints get between workouts. This doesn't get enough attention in most programs... hence rotator cuff and elbow injuries are all too common.

I know too well about this....got bad elbow joint pain before when working out, now I take recovery and rehabilitation time much more seriously! Same with running, I sued to try to run through ankle pain which only made it worse. Now I just walk if the ankle feels bad...which is less and less.

Edited by tominbkk