Forum upgrade in progress! ×

What To Eat To Lose Weight In Thailand?

MrHammer

There's a common belief that exercise increases the appetite. I find the opposite to be true. On days that I exercise I eat less and the harder I push myself the less I eat. It can be a real struggle to get the correct number of calories on some days. I'm sure this is why I can easily keep my fat levels low despite not being strict about food intake.

Cashew nuts (raw) - that's the way to suppress the appetite. I have them available 24/7.

When I play squash I am completely exhausted and dont eat much for the next 24 hours. If i do weights I tend to eat quite a lot a couple of hours after.

For nuts I recommend almonds even thou cashews are lower in fat and have lots of benefits nutritionally they tend to collect mould quite easily so in some people that can be a problem.

Obviously the intensity and length of a workout will be the deciding factor, not what exercise you do. A hard cardio session or a hard weight session both affect me the same. Hard is hard.

Re cashews: All nuts will go moldy. If you've eaten a few cashews you'll soon know when they are fresh and when they've gone are moldy. The most important thing for me is that I enjoy eating cashews but don't enjoy eating almonds. I'm nuts about cashew nuts.biggrin.png

Edited by tropo

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a common belief that exercise increases the appetite. I find the opposite to be true. On days that I exercise I eat less and the harder I push myself the less I eat. It can be a real struggle to get the correct number of calories on some days. I'm sure this is why I can easily keep my fat levels low despite not being strict about food intake.

Cashew nuts (raw) - that's the way to suppress the appetite. I have them available 24/7.

When I play squash I am completely exhausted and dont eat much for the next 24 hours. If i do weights I tend to eat quite a lot a couple of hours after.

For nuts I recommend almonds even thou cashews are lower in fat and have lots of benefits nutritionally they tend to collect mould quite easily so in some people that can be a problem.

Obviously the intensity and length of a workout will be the deciding factor, not what exercise you do. A hard cardio session or a hard weight session both affect me the same. Hard is hard.

Re cashews: All nuts will go moldy. If you've eaten a few cashews you'll soon know when they are fresh and when they've gone are moldy. The most important thing for me is that I enjoy eating cashews but don't enjoy eating almonds. I'm nuts about cashew nuts.biggrin.png

A hard weight session and I am really hungry whereas a hard cardio session not hungry. That also fits with a lot of research that suggests you lose more weight doing cardio as you tend to eat less after cardio sessions than weight sessions.

Cashews do taste better but if you roast the almonds they are pretty tasty too.

i had to lose 3stone about 20kilo before i had heart surgery although i cut down on butter,used less oil when frying i found i lost more lbs.by not eating after 5pm.when i did want something i would have an apple or orange.

A hard weight session and I am really hungry whereas a hard cardio session not hungry. That also fits with a lot of research that suggests you lose more weight doing cardio as you tend to eat less after cardio sessions than weight sessions.

Seriously - how could you do "research" on this? It would be totally meaningless because there are a myriad of different ways to do "cardio" and "weights"... and then to cap it off, appetite is totally subjective.

I would be certain that none of the research subjects train like I do. I would also be certain the two of us train completely differently.

However, if I trained like most people I see at the gym, then I would be quite hungry afterward too.

Anyway, this is one "justification" for my power WPC/carb drink at the end of a session. I get a good hit of carbs and protein immediately post workout when I'm not feeling hungry.

Edited by tropo

Seriously - how could you do "research" on this? It would be totally meaningless because there are a myriad of different ways to do "cardio" and "weights"... and then to cap it off, appetite is totally subjective.

I would be certain that none of the research subjects train like I do. I would also be certain the two of us train completely differently.

However, if I trained like most people I see at the gym, then I would be quite hungry afterward too.

Anyway, this is one "justification" for my power WPC/carb drink at the end of a session. I get a good hit of carbs and protein immediately post workout when I'm not feeling hungry.

You can see exactly how they do research on this by reading the link below.

There are quite a few studies that get the same findings.

We are all know nobody trains as hard and as long as you ........whistling.gif

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/12/121215151506.htm

At 6’4” (194cm), I’ve weighed 95kg for most of the past 25 years (I’m 54 this year). Following a road accident last year, my weight increased to 101kg. I decided to reduce my weight to around 90kg. In fact, I got it down to 86kg relatively quickly and quite easily – been there for a few months now. People often ask how but are disappointed with my answer: eat less!

I was used to drinking around 7 litres of beer per week, which I cut out completely until I brought my weight down; probably now average around 2 litres per week. I continued to eat most of my usual meals but reduced the quantity, eating only 50-60% of previous quantities. To kick-start my weight loss, I jogged around my house for around 15-20 minutes each day for the first couple of weeks, then just walked a little more often.

I am now used to the smaller portions (meals and beer) and feel filled by them. I can now enjoy occasional treats (cake, ice-cream, chocolate, etc.) and moderate alcohol without gaining weight.

All that was required was a little will-power. Unfortunately, that is lacking in my 17yo daughter who weighs in at 82kg despite her height of only 5’3” (160cm).

• Like 1

I dont want to sound funny but i have the same feeling.. no hunger after a hard workout. All thoughts of food are gone.

(I didn't say that nobody trains as hard as I do... maybe you train harder)

That article says nothing about appetite, which is what I was discussing.

From your link:

"resistance training (three days per week of weight lifting, three sets per day, 8-12 repetitions per set)"

What is that? You call that a workout? Obese people pretending to lift weights?cheesy.gif

I'm talking about hard yaka mate. Workouts that require motivation.... and you can't wait for them to end because they're so brutal.

Edited by tropo

@tolly,

Did you actually read the study ?

They were looking at weight loss only here.. the guys who did both lost the same amount of fat and most around the waist but were not considered the winner because they did not loose the most weight. Duhhh they gained lean body mass.

Then.. 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps 3 days a week.. come one that is nothing.

I can say a lot about this study but it has nothing to do with people who really exercise.

Raging hunger is often my limit how long i can go on, feels like i'm gonna faint if i cant feed soon.

this is clearly individual

If you've eaten a decent meal an hour or 2 before a workout and you get so hungry you're going to faint while you train, then you've got some problem with your metabolism - i.e. you're not burning fat. Once you've run out of carbs you need to tap into your fat stores for energy. You did have your blood sugar checked, and that was normal, so I don't know what the problem could be.

I would suggest that you bring along some liquid food with protein and carbs to sip on throughout your workout.

Good workout for me:

5x5 sets of squats at 80-90% of max

1x5 deadlifts or 5x3 powercleans

3x6 benchpress

3x6 overhead press

3x6 bicep curls or lateral raises

3x8 weighted ab crunches

20 minutes of medium intensity cardio

3 times a week and add 2 days of sports.

Unfortunately I haven't trained like that for 2 years, but slowly and surely will get there again.

From your link:

"resistance training (three days per week of weight lifting, three sets per day, 8-12 repetitions per set)"

What is that? You call that a workout? Obese people pretending to lift weights?cheesy.gif

I'm talking about hard yaka mate. Workouts that require motivation.... and you can't wait for them to end because they're so brutal.

I was under the impression the topic was about weight loss, not ridiculing people who are trying to lose weight.

The type of exercise that you are talking about can be severely counter productive for obese people.

Good on you for being in the physical condition and having the mental strength to train as you say you do, however it's a bit off in this thread eh?

I was under the impression the topic was about weight loss, not ridiculing people who are trying to lose weight.

The type of exercise that you are talking about can be severely counter productive for obese people.

Good on you for being in the physical condition and having the mental strength to train as you say you do, however it's a bit off in this thread eh?

Please try to keep up.

This particular line of discussion was about appetite and how exercise affects it, which is quite relevant to fat loss.

Edited by tropo

From your link:

http://greatist.com/health/aerobic-training-burn-fat-121712

Suppressent of appetite for aerobic activity over resistance training is specifically mentioned as a factor here.

Also the level of resistance training is okay for the target group of middle aged men being 8 activities of 8-12 reps three times a week.

It's well proven that resistance training gives you a higher dormant energy expenditure for up to 48 hours while the same effect from cardio is only 5-7 hours. However, the problem with resistance training is that you may not move much if you're legs are busted from doing heavy squats the day before. But the only thing for me that has consistently kept my weight down in the past has been heavy weightraining. As for not feeling hungry after training, I feel it's with both cardio and weights, probably crave healthy food more after weights. Need those proteins.

Suppressent of appetite for aerobic activity over resistance training is specifically mentioned as a factor here.

Also the level of resistance training is okay for the target group of middle aged men being 8 activities of 8-12 reps three times a week.

You can send these links all day long but they mean nothing because everyone trains differently. Different intensities, durations and rest periods.

What they consider as weight workouts for purposes of their experiments I would call warmups. All they are finding is that the workouts they set for the purposes of their experiment don't have as much effect on the appetite as the cardio workouts.

It's quite possible to train with weights and get a cardio effect at the same time, by keeping the speed of the workout fast.

For example, I don't usually rest long as I superset (alternate) most exercises. eg. A chest exercise immediately followed by a back exercise. A biceps exercise followed by a triceps exercise. A shoulder movement followed by a back movement. A quad exercise followed by a hamstring exercise and so on....

The rest period is as long as it takes to get my breath (and motivation) back for the next set. The fitter you are the faster you can train.

This is just one example of many ways to train with weights.

I was specifically referring to how my workouts diminish my appetite. I wouldn't expect anyone to train as I do. I only train like this about 3 times per week, but I definitely feel like eating less on these days. I make up for the deficit by consuming liquid meals and calorie dense food such as nuts, fruit etc... so I don't actually eat fewer calories... but it would be easy to if my goal was to lose fat.

Edited by tropo

You can send these links all day long but they mean nothing because everyone trains differently. Different intensities, durations and rest periods.

What they consider as weight workouts for purposes of their experiments I would call warmups. All they are finding is that the workouts they set for the purposes of their experiment don't have as much effect on the appetite as the cardio workouts.

It's quite possible to train with weights and get a cardio effect at the same time, by keeping the speed of the workout fast.

For example, I don't usually rest long as I superset (alternate) most exercises. eg. A chest exercise immediately followed by a back exercise. A biceps exercise followed by a triceps exercise. A shoulder movement followed by a back movement. A quad exercise followed by a hamstring exercise and so on....

The rest period is as long as it takes to get my breath (and motivation) back for the next set. The fitter you are the faster you can train.

This is just one example of many ways to train with weights.

I was specifically referring to how my workouts diminish my appetite. I wouldn't expect anyone to train as I do. I only train like this about 3 times per week, but I definitely feel like eating less on these days. I make up for the deficit by consuming liquid meals and calorie dense food such as nuts, fruit etc... so I don't actually eat fewer calories... but it would be easy to if my goal was to lose fat.

Most people don't train like you and especially middle aged people.

You wanted some evidence re cardio and resistance about appetite training and I have provided it which is what we were discussing.

I happen to agree with this based on my experience.

Until you come up with your own research and survey that proves otherwise I will stick with this study.

Most people don't train like you and especially middle aged people.

You wanted some evidence re cardio and resistance about appetite training and I have provided it which is what we were discussing.

I happen to agree with this based on my experience.

Until you come up with your own research and survey that proves otherwise I will stick with this study.

Perhaps, but a lot of people train harder than they do in these studies.

The only reason that I brought this up was to suggest that HARD weight sessions do have a significant impact on appetite. You're not going to see the studies about hard weight workouts because in the studies you linked they only use wimpy workout programs. Hard weight sessions would be considered inhumane by most of these study participants.

Maybe one day you'll actually do a hard weight session for 2 hours to test the difference.

• Like 2

Actually Tropo as i know your program and you know mine we do both.. aerobic and lifting weights and that study showed it was the most effective.

But what it all boils down to is how hard do you train, personal preference (it does not really matter what is the best if you get bored and stop it)

As for the appetite I have similar experiences as you that im NOT hungry after a session actually if i start out hungry i end without hunger. But this could be really individual.

But in the end i just advise people to select what they do on bases what they like and can keep up for a long time. Its better to loose half a kg per week for a year then 3 kg per week for 8 weeks.

Don't forget lifting has other advantages too like keeping bone density, and we still need to do our cardio for again other benefits. So i just do them both but mostly lifting.

@Tropo

I fail to see any relevance in this line........

But I can't be bothered getting into an argument about it. thumbsup.gif

Actually it was more about the study that was done, and the sub-sequential result that weight lifting was less good at burning fat ect ect. There is a big difference how someone does a workout who has done it for years and someone who just begins. Also the results will be totally different.

I wont deny that you loose weight from cardio and it has other benefits, its just that this study took obese people and put them on a workout people who had no experience with it. It takes a while to really learn how to workout and that was one of the things that was not taken into account.

@Tropo

I fail to see any relevance in this line........

But I can't be bothered getting into an argument about it. thumbsup.gif

There's no need to argue.

... but you've taken a quote out of context - shame on you.... that's a pretty good way to start an argument.thumbsup.gif

Allow me to clear up your confusion.

This quote from a study: "resistance training (three days per week of weight lifting, three sets per day, 8-12 repetitions per set)"

....was put forward as evidence that cardio suppressed the appetite more than weight training.

Apart from not even being relevant to the debate, that's a pretty poor excuse for resistance training, hence the cheesy.gif

Edited by tropo

@tropo in the second article that is quoted by Tolly it ads that its 8 exercises. Now that makes it a bit more real though i still keep my stand that it takes time to learn how to workout properly and to get the most out of a training session. You don't have that problem with the cardio stuff as we know most of those movements.

Id rather see a study of people who have worked out for a while and who have done cardio for a while and compare those findings.

Still as I do both and most studies show that a combination of both is best i win either way.

@tropo in the second article that is quoted by Tolly it ads that its 8 exercises. Now that makes it a bit more real though i still keep my stand that it takes time to learn how to workout properly and to get the most out of a training session. You don't have that problem with the cardio stuff as we know most of those movements.

Id rather see a study of people who have worked out for a while and who have done cardio for a while and compare those findings.

Still as I do both and most studies show that a combination of both is best i win either way.

I agree, but our mini-debate was about how cardio vs weights affect the appetite.

It would be very difficult to prove because both are so different. For example, I never do 2 hours of cardio but often train that long with weights.... also, when I do cardio I'm doing rather low intensity whereas when I hit the weights I leave everything in the gym.

Just to get this debate back on track:

I said in my earlier post: quote: "There's a common belief that exercise increases the appetite. I find the opposite to be true. On days that I exercise I eat less and the harder I push myself the less I eat"

To set the record straight, I did not differential between cardio or weights. I merely said "on the days that I exercise". It was Tolley who started the cardio vs weights debate.

The appetite suppression is probably about equal if my intensity is equal. If I did a 2 hour cardio session I'd be wiped out and certainly not feeling hungry..

Edited by tropo

I so totally agree with Rob on doing what you can appreciate or at least stand doing,

rather than something you just don't like at all

I disagree with this - one must do a lot of exercises one doesn't like to develop a good physique. Crunches or situps for abs would be a good example of an exercise which is important but rarely liked.

Squats is a good example of an exercise most people hate and it shows in lack of leg development in most punters. Now days it's easier to get away with skinny legs because most people wear very baggy, long shorts. Back in the 70's and 80's short shorts were the fashion and it was embarrassing to get around on toothpicks. These days hardly anyone sees them.

I'm sure we could come up with a long list of exercises which are essential to developing a good physique and balanced strength that few people like to perform.

I so totally agree with Rob on doing what you can appreciate or at least stand doing,

rather than something you just don't like at all

I disagree with this - one must do a lot of exercises one doesn't like to develop a good physique. Crunches or situps for abs would be a good example of an exercise which is important but rarely liked.

Squats is a good example of an exercise most people hate and it shows in lack of leg development in most punters. Now days it's easier to get away with skinny legs because most people wear very baggy, long shorts. Back in the 70's and 80's short shorts were the fashion and it was embarrassing to get around on toothpicks. These days hardly anyone sees them.

I'm sure we could come up with a long list of exercises which are essential to developing a good physique and balanced strength that few people like to perform.

I was talking about fat burning here, not weight lifting. I am still saying that for "normal people" that kinda excludes people like you and me are better of doing something they like and keep doing it for a long time then go for the most effective thing and stop prematurely.

I was of course talking about fat burning for developing muscles id go for a balanced physique and that means you will have to do it all.

The thread has become a dogs dinner, surely appetite reaction depends on the individual and their training on that particular day? Tropo is of the opinion that exercising suppresses his appetite, what's true for him won't necessarily be true for others.

There is no doubt that resistance training is crucial for success but there's virtually no way you're average dieter is going to commit the time and effort that the weight training contingent on this thread do.

I reckon you guys should go start individual threads as to how to use weight training for weight loss, I would be interested in seeing what you come up with.