Lpg Car Fire In Front Of North Pattaya Apartment

Rimmer

LPG Car Fire in front of North Pattaya Apartment

fire-31.jpg
PATTAYA:--Just before 6pm on Saturday Pattaya Fire Rescue Services were called to the Nontiwat Apartments in Soi Sukhumvit 41 in Naklua to deal with a car fire.

The driver of the vehicle was Khun Ploy aged 25 who was returning to her apartment in her Silver Nissan Cefiro and had just started to enter the complex when a smell of gas filled the inside of the car and smoke was seen coming from the engine compartment.

Full Story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/78315/lpg-car-fire-front-north-pattaya-apartment/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-03-10

It's the fourth car with LPG that went up in smoke in Pattaya this year, plus the minibus in which 7 people burned to death. Maybe it's not quite safe after all.

Nothing to do with the fuel, but rather the installation.

I know of two very reputable places in Pattaya, and yes they are quite a bit more expensive then the single shophouse/Somchai workshops.

Unfortunately very little regulation, so you really have to rely on recommendations, and pay a bit more for the proper imported stuff.

And at least with the minivan accident, I'm pretty sure it was a petrol fueled fire and not gas fueled.

Remember, most if not all gas (lpg/cng) powered vehicles are dual fuel, so retain the full petrol system.

Actually very much to do with the fuel and the installation.

No matter how it is installed, LPG ignites more readily than petrol and petrol ignites more readily than diesel.

If you have a leak in your diesel circuit you should just drive to a garage.

If you have a leak in your petrol circuit you should get out and call the garage from a safe distance.

If you have a leak in your LPG circuit just pray you have time to run away.

Actually very much to do with the fuel and the installation.

No matter how it is installed, LPG ignites more readily than petrol and petrol ignites more readily than diesel.

If you have a leak in your diesel circuit you should just drive to a garage.

If you have a leak in your petrol circuit you should get out and call the garage from a safe distance.

If you have a leak in your LPG circuit just pray you have time to run away.

Utter misinformation.

I'm simply not getting it.

If it were so dangerous, all the nanny European states would have banned it already, especially seeing as tax/excise income on lpg is way lower then what they make on regular fuels.

Yes, lpg is an inherently more dangerous product, it is compensated by systems which are a multiple more safe then any other fuel.

As I stated before, those systems do depend on being properly installed. Which might (sorry, likely) is an issue in Thailand.

But please do not blame the fuel.

Diesel is indeed the safest out there, but generally a petrol operated vehicle is a fair bit more dangerous then an lpg fueled vehicle, due to weak systems and total lack of safety systems.

• Like 1

Like it or not LPG will ignite with something approaching explosive force if given half a chance.

Diesel will not, and the petrol in your tank isn't under pressure even if it is much more volatile than diesel.

My objection to LPG tanks is that they are specifically designed to blow off excess pressure and this results in what I would describe as a fireball. If the tank and valve are in some remote part of the vehicle then this may not be too much of an issue but I still prefer to take my chances with diesel, thanks.

I might consider using an LPG vehicle if the tank and valve were situated in an open area of the vehicle, such as the flat-bed of a pickup truck, but never in a car or van. YMMV.

• Like 1

You're correct, lpg will easily ignite.

However the blow-of valve theory doesn't hold, an lpg tank has to be sitting several minutes in the middle of a blazing fire before the blow of valve releases pressure.

By then any occupants will be toast already, and the lpg will be the least of their worries...

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree :D

Oh, btw, half the world is walking around with a pressurized plastic lpg container in their pockets, with enough caloric energy in it to pretty much set any person on fire!

Called a lighter.

Not much reports of casualties with them either!