Versys Beak

Hog Head

A BMW - GS style beak has been kicking around Malaysia for a while so I purchased one only to discover that it is an ill
fitting, substandard POS with sub-standard mounting brackets. In the typical Asian business model the Seller refused to refund my money which
sent me on a quest to do it right

Here is the finished product, attached with the same Kawi screws as the side panels. Paint is a rattle can for these pics and does not match but gives you the general idea. It does not look bad in black, although I think I will paint mine red.

It is a 3 piece part - the 2 side filler panels and the beak. One can run just the side panels or c/w beak as the style strikes you
Mounting screws are the same Kawi fairing screws

I made a few extras should anyone fancy one
Side faring panels only 3300 B
Side fairings c/w beak 4500 B

I am going to run my bike like this, less beak:

post-5915-0-38516200-1362896293_thumb.jp

post-5915-0-05762200-1362896324_thumb.jp

post-5915-0-43447900-1362896337_thumb.jp

And for those that like the beak look:

post-5915-0-97187700-1362896371_thumb.jp

post-5915-0-14127100-1362896385_thumb.jp

post-5915-0-75183600-1362896401_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Side panels look really good and an improvement on the original design aesthetically, but I don't like the beak. Not just this specific design I should add, I think the beak on all of these style bikes looks bad. These are not the prettiest bikes anyway, but making it look like a bird is just rubbing salt in the wound.

• Like 1

Side fairings are nice.

The beak - too fake. With the GS, at least one can pretend the beak is for aerodynamic purposes - that's what they claim, anyway. But this one would just be added farkle, to imitate the mighty GS... like the "Lexus" badge kit you can get for your Fortuner. I have to object to that for that reason alone.

I do not care for the beak for various reasons, and am going to run my own bike with the side filler panels only. I was hoping that the Versys anteater nose would wear on me but after 3 years now it is as ugly as ever. It looks like the designer had a few beers at lunch and when he came back, forgot his place in the project, then sent it off to production.

These side filler panels finish off the job, and get away from the anteater nose

Cooling is not affected by the side panels and if anything will funnel more air into the rad. I have tested it WFO and idling at 39C and no apparent difference, or at least that I can tell without a temperature guage. The fan did not come on more than usual

With the beak I also ran it on hot days, without any apparent difference to cooling. I did not have a good road to test WFO but did to 160 Kph for a decent stretch

The Malaysians have had this for some time now and their highways are much better than ours, allowing high speed runs and the beak does not pose any additional cooling issues

I have had mine pinned with the side fairings on and, using my butt sensor there was no change to the stability of the bike. There are not any good straight stretches near me that I can test it WFO as the Versys needs a long pull to reach top speed - worse for me with a 44T rear. No issues for me to 160 Kph, and once again the Malaysian high speed experience would indicate that it is fine.

• 3 months later...

that is an Acropovic exhaust

Whatever the brand, i think it looks out of place on the bike. would look good under a nissan micra though

Don't get me wrong, even with that crazy.gif on it it is still one of the best looking Versys because of that beak.

Edited by pokerkid

I like the flush mounts looks good.

The beak....errrr...I never really understood it.

Does it have a purpose? Looks like a high fender but the tire is wrapped already with the low fender

so what the story with these? It is not just Kawasaki either

I like the flush mounts looks good.

The beak....errrr...I never really understood it.

Does it have a purpose? Looks like a high fender but the tire is wrapped already with the low fender

so what the story with these? It is not just Kawasaki either

When the low fender is fitted its only for looks, makes the bike look like it has some enduro adventure dna.

Edited by pokerkid
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...