Australia Offers Indonesia Schapelle Corby Parole Guarantees

webfact

Australia offers Indonesia Corby parole guarantees

SYDNEY (AFP) -- Australia on Sunday said it had offered Indonesia a formal guarantee that drug trafficker Schapelle Corby would comply with parole in a letter supporting her release from prison.

Foreign Minister Bob Carr said Australia had written to the governor of Kerobokan jail, where Corby has been imprisoned on marijuana smuggling offences since 2005.

"We've advised Indonesian authorities the Australian government supports the granting of parole to Ms Corby," Carr said.

"This letter of guarantee, backed by strict reporting requirements, is necessary in order for the parole application to proceed."

Carr said Corby would be required to report regularly to Australian consular officials on the holiday island of Bali and keep them updated on her whereabouts. Corby's sister, Mercedes, lives in Bali.

Indonesian officials would retain her passport and any other travel documents.

Gusti Ngurah Wiratna, chief of Kerobokan prison, confirmed that the letter -- "a form of guarantee by the Australian government that Corby will adhere to all prison regulations" -- had been received a few days ago.

"The letter is not an intervention by Australian government to hasten the parole process," he told AFP.

Wiratna said Corby's lawyers had yet to apply for parole.

"Once I receive their application, I will form a special team comprising of seven prison officials to evaluate if Corby deserves a parole or not," he said.

"The government will then make a decision based on the team's evaluation."

Carr said the government's guarantees would not mean Corby was automatically offered parole, but it was an important step forward in her bid for release.

"Ms Corby was convicted and sentenced in accordance with Indonesian law," said Carr.

"However, most Australians would agree she has served a substantial term in jail and deserves the chance to plead her case before parole authorities."

Corby received a 20-year jail sentence in 2005 for smuggling 4.1 kilograms (nine pounds) of marijuana into Bali, but she had five years shaved from her term last year following a clemency appeal as well as several remissions for good behaviour.

She was eligible for parole in September under Indonesian law.

Carr said 16 foreigners had been paroled in Indonesia, but none yet in Bali.

Australia was also pressing a prisoner transfer agreement with Jakarta, he added, in the hope that Corby could serve out her parole back home.

Indonesia enforces stiff penalties for drug trafficking, including life imprisonment and death.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-03-11

Obviously an election year. Government offering the guarrantee to help garner support amongst the bogan vote.

Decisions decisions, the Welsh witch or the mad monk?

Wheres little Johnny when he is needed, cometh the hour cometh the man etc etc.

• Like 2

It's certainly made news here in Australia ...

Australia has offered an official guarantee to the Indonesian government that convicted drug smuggler Schapelle Corby would not breach parole if released from jail.

Corby was sentenced to 20 years in jail for drug trafficking in 2005 but her term has been cut by five years after a clemency appeal.

On Friday a letter from Australian officials was delivered to the governor's office at Kerobokan Prison guaranteeing Corby would not breach parole conditions if released from jail.

ABC News

/Photo removed

/Text reduced to fair use

//Admin

Edited by webfact

If she is paroled, she will be required to stay in Bali for approx 4 years and who is going to pay for her stay, the Australian Tax Payer? If the Australian Government is putting itself up as a garantor then they will have to organise housing and a means of support.

If she is paroled, she will be required to stay in Bali for approx 4 years and who is going to pay for her stay, the Australian Tax Payer? If the Australian Government is putting itself up as a garantor then they will have to organise housing and a means of support.

Her sister Mercedes, the white trashy one, lives in Bali and I believe previously gave an undertaking that she would take care of her.

The govt goes to this extent for a convicted drug trafficker but does sweet FA for a person that hasn't even been charged with anything.

Edited by FDog
  • Like 2

Corby promise to be queried in parliament
Tim Clarke

The unprecedented government guarantee offered to try to secure parole for convicted drug trafficker Schapelle Corby will be queried when federal parliament resumes this week.

Federal deputy opposition leader Julie Bishop has promised questions will be asked of Foreign Minister Bob Carr over the formal guarantee to Indonesia that Corby won't breach parole conditions if released from Kerobokan Prison.

The Australian consulate in Bali delivered the document to the governor's office at the notorious jail on March 8, guaranteeing Corby will conform to whatever parole conditions are imposed.

But Ms Bishop said questions remained about exactly what the government had promised and what would happen if that guarantee was called upon.

"Senator Carr must make it very clear the status of this guarantee," Ms Bishop said.

Full story: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/corby-promise-to-be-queried-in-parliament-20130311-2fvk8.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2013-03-11

Her sister Mercedes, the white trashy one, lives in Bali and I believe previously gave an undertaking that she would take care of her.The govt goes to this extent for a convicted drug trafficker but does sweet FA for a person that hasn't even been charged with anything.
Well, if you are talking about who I think you are, they did bring along some lovely muffins. A great effort that.
  • Like 2

Is this more of that Aussie "pulling for the underdog" sort of thing?wink.png

I doubt that very much, she is a drug running scumbag convicted of the offence. This Parole the Aust Gov have guranteed under strict conditions may not come to fruition yet, as Corby will have to show remorse and that she is sorry for what she did and was convicted of. This would be an admission of guilt. blink.png That would throw a new light on her not guilty plea. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Bali and indonesia i would advise anyone thinking of visiting to avoid. The people are very nice on the whole but the government are so corrupt and mafia infested.

Corby 20 years for weed, reduced to 15 years, has served already 8 years. Will probally serve another 4 years, total 12 years

Tommy Suharto 15 years for cold blooded murder, jumping bail and weapons possession, reduced to 10 years, and only served 4 years.

so who wants to argue that this is fair or in anyway right?

I don't give my investment dollars to scum governments like this and will advise any one i know to stay away, it's not just this issue but a whole raft of corruption and murder of innocent people going on there.

• Like 1

Love that every time an Australian is convicted of doing something overseas they start bleating that the government is not doing enough for them. Well, maybe if you didn't get in trouble in the first place then they wouldn't have to. And why should they anyway, it's not the laws of Australia that have been broken or that there is some kind of human rights violation. Oh, I know what some people, especially Corby's family will say, that someone else put the drugs there. Strange that people who support her have nothing to say when it's pointed out anyone can say that. And reasonable doubt does not mean that there is a chance, however laughable, that some unnamed person may be responsible.

Too bad she wasn't going to Malaysia. This would have all been forgotten by now.

Love that every time an Australian is convicted of doing something overseas they start bleating that the government is not doing enough for them. Well, maybe if you didn't get in trouble in the first place then they wouldn't have to. And why should they anyway, it's not the laws of Australia that have been broken or that there is some kind of human rights violation. Oh, I know what some people, especially Corby's family will say, that someone else put the drugs there. Strange that people who support her have nothing to say when it's pointed out anyone can say that. And reasonable doubt does not mean that there is a chance, however laughable, that some unnamed person may be responsible.

Too bad she wasn't going to Malaysia. This would have all been forgotten by now.

I really don't see anyone here defending her, quite the opposite. In any event the govt is actually SUPPOSED to support any of its citizens overseas regardless of what they did. Just that it annoys many aussies they jump through hoops to help a convicted drug courier but leave others such as Assange and David Hicks to rot.

There is speculation, quite justified, that it was in fact her brother that had the weed and she just grabbed the bodyboard bag as it was all part of the same luggage. The brother is a real scumbag. Also mentioned that the father was of the same type so could have been the father and brother involved.

If that is true then they are the lowest of low to allow one of their family to take the fall for them. The father is dead now anyway. But the brother is really a piece of shit.

• Like 2

Bali and indonesia i would advise anyone thinking of visiting to avoid. The people are very nice on the whole but the government are so corrupt and mafia infested.

Corby 20 years for weed, reduced to 15 years, has served already 8 years. Will probally serve another 4 years, total 12 years

Tommy Suharto 15 years for cold blooded murder, jumping bail and weapons possession, reduced to 10 years, and only served 4 years.

I don't give my investment dollars to scum governments like this and will advise any one i know to stay away, it's not just this issue but a whole raft of corruption and murder of innocent people going on there.

Same in Thailand - we all know this. As for Bali I have had to go there three times in my life and hated every minute. No attraction for me whatsoever. Seems you have to be part of the great unwashed or have shitloads of money to buy a condo and impress all your hi-so friends. But taking hooch to Bali, that has to be a set up. Surely no one is that stupid....

• Like 1

Same in Thailand - we all know this. As for Bali I have had to go there three times in my life and hated every minute. No attraction for me whatsoever. Seems you have to be part of the great unwashed or have shitloads of money to buy a condo and impress all your hi-so friends. But taking hooch to Bali, that has to be a set up. Surely no one is that stupid....

Plenty of stupid Westerners in jail on Bali for using/importing/exporting illegal drugs. 40 Westerners on death row in Indonesia

Agree Bali is a shithole but for the schoolies and early twenties it is a great party. Watched a news report 3 days ago on the ABC and they say an aussie dies in bali on average every 9 days.

Corby is not very bright at all

Australian Gov have guaranteed that Corby will stick to her Parole conditions when she is released.

The Indonesian Gov have said she has to show remorse and admit her guilt.

My opinion is the OZ Gov should keep their nose out of Parole conditions, for the very reason if she breaks one.

First what action will the Indonesian gov take against OZ for the guarantee.

Corby will go back to prison to serve the rest of her time.

Secondly will she show remorse and admit guilt, I don't know why not as she was found guilty of the offence and sentenced.

• Like 1

I really don't see anyone here defending her, quite the opposite. In any event the govt is actually SUPPOSED to support any of its citizens overseas regardless of what they did. Just that it annoys many aussies they jump through hoops to help a convicted drug courier but leave others such as Assange and David Hicks to rot.

There is speculation, quite justified, that it was in fact her brother that had the weed and she just grabbed the bodyboard bag as it was all part of the same luggage. The brother is a real scumbag. Also mentioned that the father was of the same type so could have been the father and brother involved.

If that is true then they are the lowest of low to allow one of their family to take the fall for them. The father is dead now anyway. But the brother is really a piece of shit.

The way our lovely government treats/ed Assange and Hicks is simply disgusting . . . especially when one looks at the lengths they go to for scum like this

• Like 2

Her sister Mercedes, the white trashy one, lives in Bali and I believe previously gave an undertaking that she would take care of her.

The govt goes to this extent for a convicted drug trafficker but does sweet FA for a person that hasn't even been charged with anything.

isn't this raciest...."the white trashy one "

The way our lovely government treats/ed Assange and Hicks is simply disgusting . . . especially when one looks at the lengths they go to for scum like this

The Australian Government showed little support for Assange & Hicks because they wanted to keep the US happy.

The Corby show cuts different with the public. Maybe because she is young and female and her sister is always garnering publicity.

• Like 1

isn't this raciest...."the white trashy one "

Mercedes Corby certainly thinks she is the 'raciest' chick , for sure tongue.png

Give the girl a break. She's done enough time, let her go.

She's probably gonna make a fortune for her story.

Part 1 - Nope. She should sit out her sentence

Part 2 - Probably, but she'll hopefully have to wait a few years before she can enjoy the fruits of her crime