Thais Cant Understand Two And Three In English ?

BuffaloRescue

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to work out if there is some hidden joke or something in your post that should be funny...... never had the problem myself. Where are you from?

No hidden joke unless its on their part!. Im from south England. Got an estuary accent most people think i speak clearly maybe a bit quietly. Ill try talking louder when i say TWO

You have a British accent. Thais are more familiar with American English.

I speak fairly well, but have difficulties understand British English when spoken.

BuffaloRescue, on 12 Mar 2013 - 16:29, said:

lovelaos, on 12 Mar 2013 - 16:24, said:

I'm trying to work out if there is some hidden joke or something in your post that should be funny...... never had the problem myself. Where are you from?

No hidden joke unless its on their part!. Im from south England. Got an estuary accent most people think i speak clearly maybe a bit quietly. Ill try talking louder when i say TWO

I find people from South England hard to understand. Don't you miss out the 'r' in many words?

Faam instead of farm for example.

works for americans

I speak fairly well, but have difficulties understand British English when spoken.

"British English"??? Its just English, the Language originates from there.

Reminds me of a conversation i heard in Loas last week at breakfast.

American man says to Loatian man. "Wow you speak really good English! You dont sound like the English, they have an accent"

Loatian man. "What? You have an accent, they ARE English!"

^

Sorry, I doubt about the veracity of this story.

I'm a non native English speaker, 99% of the English people understand very well my English, I also understand very well the English spoken on the BBC, unfortunately I have often problems to understand the English spoken by English people here in Pattaya, problem I don't have with Americans.

works for americans

Does being pissy work for you?

Our lad is 17, goes to a farang school. Cannot count to 10. coffee1.gif

This hardly something to be proud of. My kids could count to 10 when they were 2 or 3.What language do you speak to him?

He's only 4, Transam can't count either smile.png

Well, perhaps this will enlighten some. The lad will not talk to in English cos I am not Thai. sad.png Very sad, but his low life father is held in great regard though l take care of him. Yeh, lots to learn about LOS stuff.

BuffaloRescue, on 12 Mar 2013 - 16:29, said:

lovelaos, on 12 Mar 2013 - 16:24, said:

I find people from South England hard to understand. Don't you miss out the 'r' in many words?

Faam instead of farm for example.

So I said to the lass "you are Scottish, are you not"?

She replied "Aye, how can ye tell"?

I said "It's the way you roll your rrrrrs"

"Och" she replied..."That's me high heeled shoes does thaat"

Subtle, but cute.

I was on a bus to Mae Sai and there were two British blokes talking beside me. One sat beside me and the other across the aisle. They were talking a language I didn't recognize and it was 20 minutes before I realized they were speaking English. They were both Cockneys from London. I'm Canadian, but have a sister who lives in London. I am quite familiar with many dialects of the English language.

Our lad is 17, goes to a farang school. Cannot count to 10. coffee1.gif

This hardly something to be proud of. My kids could count to 10 when they were 2 or 3.What language do you speak to him?
He's only 4, Transam can't count either smile.png
Well, perhaps this will enlighten some. The lad will not talk to in English cos I am not Thai. sad.png Very sad, but his low life father is held in great regard though l take care of him. Yeh, lots to learn about LOS stuff.
He'd be out on his arse if I was in that situation. You support this guy and he disrespects you - man do you know the message this gives to the people around you? I have a friend who kicked his stepson out of his house as the kid refused to wai him, total lack of respect.

What you allow you condone.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

That's nothing

When I stop at a petrol station and ask for 'gair-so-hol' they seem to think I wanted 'ben-seen'

How in hell can they confuse those two words in their own language.

You won't have that problem if you buy a dee-sen.

Ga So Hon works for me everytime.

Half the time, it aint their language, some of these people are Burmese.

That's nothing

When I stop at a petrol station and ask for 'gair-so-hol' they seem to think I wanted 'ben-seen'

How in hell can they confuse those two words in their own language.

You won't have that problem if you buy a dee-sen.

Guess the engine might have a problem with it.

• Like 1

I often hear Americans say "trey" instead of three. What's that all about. Where I come from NE Scotland we say 'een' , 'twa' , 'thra', 'fair'.

Incidentally, the Hindi words for 1,2 are ek, dto Which is used in the Thai writing system for the tonal marks - mai ek(looks like a 1), mai dto(looks like a 2) .

<deleted> is an estuary accent?

Google's to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estuary_English

I'd never heard of that which surprised me since I originate from that neck of the woods. Then I scrolled to the bottom of the wikki page and saw "This page was last modified on 28 February 2013 at 02:35." - well that explains it - only existed for a couple of weeks no wonder....

biggrin.png one, two 333,345,535,535,523,875,333

So what does that mean? Do you question the validity of the explanation/definition?

I often hear Americans say "trey" instead of three. What's that all about. Where I come from NE Scotland we say 'een' , 'twa' , 'thra', 'fair'.

Incidentally, the Hindi words for 1,2 are ek, dto Which is used in the Thai writing system for the tonal marks - mai ek(looks like a 1), mai dto(looks like a 2) .

Often?

Damn, I lived there for 50 years and never heard one say trey.

But then, I don't gamble.

"British English"??? Its just English, the Language originates from there.

Reminds me of a conversation i heard in Loas last week at breakfast.

American man says to Loatian man. "Wow you speak really good English! You dont sound like the English, they have an accent"

Loatian man. "What? You have an accent, they ARE English!"

No, everyone who knows about history knows its the Brits who stole the English language from the Americans. Duh...

I know many British people are upset by the fact that American accent is so much more popular and common these days, but it does not change the fact, British English with its thick accent (just added it for fun), is for most people much more difficult to understand, than regular (ok, I just added that for fun too) English, that is American English.

^

I'm a non native English speaker, 99% of the English people understand very well my English, I also understand very well the English spoken on the BBC, unfortunately I have often problems to understand the English spoken by English people here in Pattaya, problem I don't have with Americans.

This is exactly the same thing with me, and the rest of us.

Always put your 'trey' in an upright position before landing. smile.png

Actually, some older Americans might use the term when they play cards.

Did someone say something?

<deleted> is an estuary accent?

Essex boy.

^

This is exactly the same thing with me, and the rest of us.

Because English spoken in the UK is often spoken with a very strong dialect / accent.

If you are a native of the UK and speak English, then you will probably have no problem with all the different accent because the ear is tuned from birth.

My problem is spelling the bloody language.

Edited by nevets