Thai Health Ministry Considering Plan To Force Foreign Tourists To Buy Insurance

webfact

Schengen Countries already have this requirement for Thai, and other nationalities, as a prerequisite for those who require a visa to enter the Schengen Area.

I don't see this as any sort of scam.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

You call it a prerequisite? There is another term that is more accurate...extortion. It is MY choice pal whether I want insurance or not..

You mean it's your choice not to travel somewhere that requires it, right?

But my point explained, make me buy it at 71 years, compulsery GOOD now WHERE do I get it. ????

http://www.insureforall.com/over-70-travel-insurance.cfm

Google is your friend.

Next whinge, please?

Travel ins is not the problem it's long term ins for over 70s that's the problem and they help Thailand just as much as anyone else I despair at a lot of comments on here from younger members about old guys who have been coming here for decades .

Peter Pan lives in never never land I can't find it on Google earth

• Like 1

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First they ned to change how visas are achieved and decide what a tourist is ( 3 week or 3 year tourist )then demand proof of insurance to be granted a Visa.......but there are clearly money in the immigration system so....

It's already pretty clear.

If you arrive with no visa or a tourist visa, you're a tourist.

If you arrive on a non-immigrant visa of any type, you're not a tourist.

• Like 1

Well, usually if you pay your ticket with a credit card , there is always an insurance included no ?

No, there is not. You can buy it as an option.

What about foreigners living here who arrange for private heath insurance in Thailand? Like me?

Maybe in all depends on "what country --what card "---my Visa Card here in N.Z gives me 90 days cover --if I pay fare with it--that saves me $200-$500--depending how long I stay

Bucko it would be of benefit to you if you check the small print regarding the cover you have with your visa card. You will find that they exclude all 'pre existing conditions' and 'those conditions which you are aware of or could have been aware of before travelling'. You would find them very reluctant to pay out for anything other than an accident, and with plenty of wriggle room for their medical advisors to deny any claim. Also beware age restrictions.

Westpac Gold Card gives you 90 days, Platinum card 6 months and Black card 1 yr medical and travel ins cover.

You must purchase the airfare in OZ and it must be return flight to any where in the world, except where there is trouble of course. Eash claim is $250.00, wether it is stolen cards, gold, bags damaged or whatever. They cover everything EXCEPT Pre-Existing conditions.

This insurance is included in your airfare when you purchase it on the credit card.

Hospitals count cost of foreigners’ bills

State hospitals in the southern province are shouldering a heavy burden for treating elderly foreigners who cannot afford to pay their medical bills.

The state-run Vachira Phuket Hospital admitted a record 377 foreign patients, mostly Britons, in the 12 months to Sept 30, 2010. There were also cases of foreigners who died outside of hospital but were brought in for autopsies. They died of causes ranging from road accidents to drowning and suicide. The hospital last year spent 1.3 million baht treating 17 penniless foreigners. It was the third consecutive year that the hospital had logged unpaid bills. The hospital bore costs of more than 1.2 million baht in 2009 for 22 foreign patients, a 50% rise from the 800,000 baht in costs to treat 17 patients in 2008, the centre said.

“These patients are mostly European men,” the source said. “They didn’t take out health insurance. They renew their visas every year and have no savings.” Some of them produced fake financial statements to have their visas renewed. Each foreign national seeking the renewal of his or her retirement visa must have at least 800,000 baht in their bank account or show they have earnings of at least 65,000 baht a month.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2011/01/20/hospitals-count-cost-of-foreigners-bills/

So the Phuket hospital incurred cost of a staggering 1.2 million bht,that's about £24,000

for a whole year,lets get real this is peanuts.They say that this is mostly due to Brits,

OK anybody know of the cost,to the NHS,for treating Thai citizens visiting or living in the UK?,

I've no idea,but I would't be surprised if it came to 10,000 times more than the cost of unpaid bills here in Thailand,remember that Thai's can obtain free medical care in the UK, as I would imagine that few Thai's will go to the expense of paying for private UK medical care.

But there again us Brits are a soft touch.

• Like 1

Actually I agree with the principle of this, seeing as Thailand is one of the most hazardous places to visit (I don't say dangerous, but those in the know, know what I mean...). If there is a place on the planet where visitors should be insured, it is here, and of course the US. But the US is for different reasons.

I am living here 10 yrs, and have always been insured to the hilt. I would not allow a gap in coverage, the risks are too great. I wish I could insure against being a victim of corruption. Perhaps insurance companies could offer that as an add-on to my global health cover .....

• Like 1

Stupid is, Stupid does.

Make sure the Swampy's runway doesn't have a hole in it, (shut down more times than any airport in the world)

Make sure the Red Shirts aren't doing something to discourage tourism,

Make sure the Yellow Shirts aren't sitting in the airport,

Make sure you have insurance....

Ask Thailand if they really want you to visit as a tourist.

Careful with the Jet Ski's

Watch out for the Baht Bus drivers holding onto your hand as they drive away.

Don't fall off a balcony,

Pay the extra money to the Taxi because you are a tourist. ( why have a taxi meter )

Don't leave your drink unattended when in a bar.

Etc....................................

................................etc................................

etc..................................................

• Like 1

Been here a fair old while and I have always maintained a healthy bank balance in order to negate any possible problems from being ill.It has proved sufficient up to now, but I must admit, some form of cover may well be a good idea as I approach the old 50.

But isn't "the old 50" sick.gif the "new 30"? w00t.gifwhistling.gif

Just get retirees to pay 1000 baht a month into the social security fund. That equates to about what they would take if they were salaried at 35k per month.

A fabulous idea, in fact.
Sorry to say the price will be near than 30,000 a month You are not a Thai and over 55 who will insured you so cheap stop dreaming

I do think some kids come to Thailand and behave in riskier behavior than in own country, so they should be covered. and if too expensive, well, then maybe question traveling entirely. "oh, I don't have insurance, but let's go to Thailand and drink and ride a motorbike and act crazy like on spring break......" hmmmmmm.

but, there are many, many people in Thailand who stay here because it is super, super cheap. even a small extra charge will likely have them going to another country. and they will likely go to different countries until every country requires insurance. but, this might be the intent....

or maybe just have their home country get the bill if they cannot pay, and deal with them when they get back....

hip

Just get retirees to pay 1000 baht a month into the social security fund. That equates to about what they would take if they were salaried at 35k per month.

Sorry to say the price will be near than 30,000 a month You are not a Thai and over 55 who will insured you so cheap stop dreaming

That would be private. This would insure that like any employed Thai, you can access the domestic national system. Of course, you can't get access to brumrungrad, but at least you are covered.

The system as it stands doesn't add up. Government employees get ludicrously good coverage, normal employees get middle, and millions of poor access for 30 baht having paid in nothing.

At the end if the issue is uninsured foreigners, paying into the social system at 1000 baht a month, may not get you heart surgery, but covers more than basic eventuality in the state system.

Getting coverage in the private sector over 60 is very expensive, so, pay in to the state system. Why not.

My father in law right now, as a retired government employee, is receiving over 30k per month in medicine. I assure you, he is taking out 10 times more than he ever paid in.

But, why can't this be solved by encouraging retired expats to pay into the social system to a reasonable level. It might just break even?

40 % of this hospital visits is made by expats living in the country. A higher fee on air fare and hotels does not effect the expats living in Thailand.

But if these fees are implemented does that mean as an expat living in the Kingdom we get free medical care?

Or will the next rule be: A proof of medical insurance when you apply for a visa?

And your source and proof of the 40% is?

I don't know of many people who have been able to get out of a hospital without paying, if they didn't pay, they don;t release them or give back their passport, this sounds more like a plan to charge higher prices to not have to tax locals higher for their medical care

I've been to a few hospitals here and was always surprised that I didn't receive the bill until the very end. The hospital staff didn't keep my passport either so, theoretically, I could have simply walked out the front door after the treatment and they wouldn't really have been able to do much about it...

Like a previous member stated, "make 'em pay in advance". I don't understand how people can travel abroad and not have insurance or enough money to pay for emergencies...

• Like 1

Your talking through you hat or alcohol infused brain.. 30,000 bahts a month x 12 = 360,000 bahts or approx $12,000. At age 65 and staying 6 months a years in the USA and no health problems. My insurance cost for $5,000,000 coverage was $546.00 for 6 months..

Guess I should edit my above reply somewhat... The $546.00 for 6 months was I presume because I lived in Canada where we have free health coverage and I presume the insurance company was assuming that if I became sick the government health insurance would cover what they would pay if I became sick in Canada.

Another money money making idea of Mr. T's goverment. Almost all Europeans have insurance anyway. Not even the very strict homeland security ask me for insurance, when i entered the US. BTW, i was in Cambo last week. Its getting better and better. Peaple in Phnom Penh speak english and i was suprised. Some students speak fluently french as well. Peaple in Phnom Penh drive Lexus instead of Vios or D Max. Another5 year. Lets see whats going on. Sometime i get the feeling that they think Thailand is the only and Nr. 1 Tourist destination in this world. Did they ever been in miami, the caribean islands, Rio or somewhere else to get an idea how for examle, a beachroad should look?

I would imagine it's the massive numbers of Chinese, Indian, Russian and Asian tourists that they're concerned about, not the relatively few European tourists. It seems a bit rich for you to be criticising the level of English in Thailand when your own written English is not exactly perfect!

The English in the post is better than most Thai proffessors with a Phd in English.

If that were to happen then for many ex-pats it would be either a one-way ticket home or a premium membership subscription to the euthanasia club.

But you do make a good point. For retirees this would need to be something practical budget wise.

Try getting treatment with no insurance and no means to pay....

I didn't know you could. Do you go in for treatment and then tell them when they make the bill up when you check out that you can't pay?

The Philippines is rough. You have to pay before you go in.

• Like 1

I don't understand how people can travel abroad and not have insurance or enough money to pay for emergencies...

It's called living dangerously. Fortunately for insurance companies the majority of insured people don't need it -- or more to the point, that's they only way they can exist in the first place. They are not charities.

Edited by tropo

Another money money making idea of Mr. T's goverment. Almost all Europeans have insurance anyway. Not even the very strict homeland security ask me for insurance, when i entered the US. BTW, i was in Cambo last week. Its getting better and better. Peaple in Phnom Penh speak english and i was suprised. Some students speak fluently french as well. Peaple in Phnom Penh drive Lexus instead of Vios or D Max. Another5 year. Lets see whats going on. Sometime i get the feeling that they think Thailand is the only and Nr. 1 Tourist destination in this world. Did they ever been in miami, the caribean islands, Rio or somewhere else to get an idea how for examle, a beachroad should look?

To answer your question, No, they don't have a clue what a beach or beachroad should look like.. They've only seen one. If they saw Miami or the Caribbean beaches, they wouldn't report back what they saw, face you know. coffee1.gif

If its meant to help extort cash, I don't think it will work.

Who has tried to buy health insurance for over 60 from a Thai Co.?

Chances are (99%) they'll refuse anyone over 60.

Is this the kind of stuff you want to advertize your country with?

Age discrimination?

The Thai companies (as others) like a sure bet.

Consider these little gems of the Ins Biz in Thai

I asked my house insurance rep. about insuring a laptop.

She said yes but only valid if it was in my house ????

A laptop...it's made for mobility for f&6%s sake.

No longer insured!

Another, related to health ins.:

You buy HI and go to the hospital stated in your policy

They're invariably full, cannot take another patient...unless he pays cash

Bozo ends up paying at least 2 or 3 times what he would have if he paid cash when required to

Given he thinks he'll be better off at a private inst., he ends up paying about 10-12 times what I pay at a gov.t hospital

I was sick a number of times last year, a few emergency trips,2-3 week stays

Doesn't cost me more than HI policy which is probably not worth the paper its written on.

"Oh, did you not read the fine print ? ...we only pay if you were hospitalized on a Sunday, Tuesday or Thursday...You were? Ah but those days were even-numbered days, we only pay...and if it was a non-raining but cloudy odd-numbered day..."

I would prefer put my money in the toilet and flush than deal with those guys.

My odds would be better that the toilet would pay off like a Vegas slot machine.

I don't own wheels so I have no ins.of any kind, pay as you go, so far I've saved a lot.

Over 60 would be forced to buy HI outside Thailand.

Not cheap and, frankly I don't think that much better, unless we're talkin non-American.

Am I being harsh on US companies?

..just look at what Big Pharma and HI do to ordinary Americans.

Why not export those successful techniques?

Guess that's where the Thai co. got their inspiration.

As for hospitals, I not longer do the Bumrungrad shuffle, a good university (govt.) hospital will cost me about 20% with the same diagnosis, treatment and meds. I will do without the pastel walls, private rooms, TV (sheet, I don't watch it at home, gimme morphine and I'll make my own Panorama) and other non-essentials if I pay for health care vs health insurance.

Yeah, I know, they look more like real Drs. but haven't you learnt anything about looks, appearances in Thai Yet?

In time, the cheaper Gulf Arabs will figure out you get as good or better HC in Chennai than BKK at a much cheaper rate, with as good if not better professionals and with less flying time.

DB