Baht Rise A Sign Of Confidence

Thats the way to keep the tourist away... With the Pound the Euro and the Dollar Exchange rate No one can afford to come to Thailand on Holiday. So many other countries the rate is Much better. Thailand is hurting it's self.... Wake the F&*% up!!!!!!!

Given who the majority of tourist are

maybe not really much of a concern ?

GBP just barely made the top 10

USD & EURO did not

attachicon.giftourism Thailand.jpg

Also This,

>A study of tourism 'leakage' in Thailand estimated that 70% of all money spent by tourists ended up leaving Thailand (via foreign-owned tour operators, airlines, hotels, imported drinks and food, etc.). Estimates for other Third World countries range from 80% in the Caribbean to 40% in India.

http://www.unep.org/resourceefficiency/Business/SectoralActivities/Tourism/FactsandFiguresaboutTourism/ImpactsofTourism/EconomicImpactsofTourism/NegativeEconomicImpactsofTourism/tabid/78784/Default.aspx

Notice the Chinese tourists went up by over a million from a year ago. I can attest to that, Chinese who have never been outside of China, you ask them "where you'd like to go?", "Thailand" is the answer. he he, I fear for the future of Thailand.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wild broad-brush predictions that make no allowances for the fact that Thailand has significant infrastructure which Vietnam does not. As for the Chinese tourist thing, why would you 'fear for Thailand' if more tourists are on their way ? Xenophobic, IMO.

It is not only a loss of revenue to Thailand by the tourists who have a set amount of money put by for their holiday only to find that they can now buy about 20% less (if GBP) now than say 3 months ago but one will also find due to general price rises there is even less goods to purchase with your amount of Dollar, Euro, Yen or GBP.

How many guys overseas are sending money to their wives/girlfriends.(Thankfully not me now as I live here) Quite a few I reckon, and now they will finding it hard to make the payments they agreed on. This I am sure will be causing them a lot of headaches and a lot earache from the ladies of the men who cannot find a further 20% of funds.

Overall this means that generally shop keepers will find their turnover/profit margins will be way down as less money spent by those living here whose pension/income are severely effected, plus those that come on holiday and amount of cash sent to their other half.

I can definetely see it effecting tourism in the future.

Nonsense.

The tourist/retiree inflow will just come from elsewhere in the future.

If the country's central bank were to effect measures to weaken the baht, it would have far more to do with wanting to protect the export sector than any desire to keep Thailand cheap for tourists and expats from countries with debased currencies.

For my sins, I live in Asoke, a major tourism hub with shopping, adult entertainment, bars and clubs aplenty. I can say without reservation that there's been a huge increase in visitors from India, Korea, Africa, China and Russia. Furthermore, contrary to popular consensus, they are spending money.

Are there any Bing Halls in the area, thats the sort of adult enetertainment I missgiggle.gif

Wild broad-brush predictions that make no allowances for the fact that Thailand has significant infrastructure which Vietnam does not. As for the Chinese tourist thing, why would you 'fear for Thailand' if more tourists are on their way ? Xenophobic, IMO.

Vietnam does have a high speed rail link from Hanoi to Ho Chi Min City. Thailands claim this last few days that it will have its own high speed rail link from Bangkok to Pattaya by 2018 shows they have no idea what is invovled in building a high speed line, it will take much longer than that. Thailands infrastructure needs improving, it may be ok in the big population centres but in between the quality drops dramatically from what I have observed, Vietnam I have no comment on other than the rail line.

I do wonder if the powers that be in Thailand realize that a strong bht is something to proud of, surely the penny will drop that its a 2 edged sword and needs to watched.

Any attempts to intervene in currency movements is also a 2 edged sword taking UK for example which long defended the GBP against downward pressure until that pressure became overwhelming. How much of UK government debt came from defence of GBP in the era when Tony B Lair was running around with GBPs falling out of his over-stuffed pockets shouting loudly FIGJAM!

I do wonder if the powers that be in Thailand realize that a strong bht is something to proud of, surely the penny will drop that its a 2 edged sword and needs to watched.

Any attempts to intervene in currency movements is also a 2 edged sword taking UK for example which long defended the GBP against downward pressure until that pressure became overwhelming. How much of UK government debt came from defence of GBP in the era when Tony B Lair was running around with GBPs falling out of his over-stuffed pockets shouting loudly FIGJAM!

I think the present incumbents think its great that the baht is so strong, "look at us we are strong, our currency is strong and rising, everything is going well, tell the people!" But what about the cost of Thailand's exports? What about them? I'm for some karaoke!!

If they did get it would they know how to deal with it? Does anyone or is it out of the control of one country alone?

I think the present incumbents think its great that the baht is so strong, "look at us we are strong, our currency is strong and rising, everything is going well, tell the people!" But what about the cost of Thailand's exports? What about them? I'm for some karaoke!!

If they did get it would they know how to deal with it? Does anyone or is it out of the control of one country alone?

GBP holders are despairing at the downward trajectory of the GBP and the upward trajectory of the THB. Wishing for the demise of the THB will not get you far. You should prepare to tighten your belt for about 20 years.

This has been discussed, at great length, in each of the threads on this subject - by my count, there are at least five such threads. Ultimately, unless you have a crystal ball, no-one knows when market forces will impact exports or tourism or the price of Som Tam on Soi 4 at 5pm on a Friday night. My own experience tells me that any reaction to said impact, if and when it does happen, will be slower than most here would like to see. Most economists are conservative - they seem to look for two consecutive quarters of a rise or fall in a given metric before making any pronouncements. I have no idea if Thailand has a 'Financial Review', but it may be a better source of information than this thread - just my two satangs worth.

This has been discussed, at great length, in each of the threads on this subject - by my count, there are at least five such threads. Ultimately, unless you have a crystal ball, no-one knows when market forces will impact exports or tourism or the price of Som Tam on Soi 4 at 5pm on a Friday night. My own experience tells me that any reaction to said impact, if and when it does happen, will be slower than most here would like to see. Most economists are conservative - they seem to look for two consecutive quarters of a rise or fall in a given metric before making any pronouncements. I have no idea if Thailand has a 'Financial Review', but it may be a better source of information than this thread - just my two satangs worth.

That's not even a UK penny (44 Satang) for your thoughts.

Edited by Svengali

Mr. Worldwide, can you name the places you have actually lived in? Presently, I live in China, for 3 years now, so can I speak about anything Chinese with more authority than you? you bet. If you actually need me to explain what I meant, then you don't know much about China. But you ask and I can inform.

be careful , a Thai Bath ,too strong will be a problem for Export and Tourism , which are the 2 major currency income for the country.

Exactly.. Mexico is having the same problems right now. a strong Peso is hurting their exports.. and tourism.. same will happen to Thailand..

Norway, Switzerland and other non-Euro northern nations, Singapore, Australia would be where I personally would be parking any liquidity if I had it, happy with maybe 3-4% returns for those requiring security. (WAGing here, input from those more knowledgeable than I most welcome).

I would not put too many bets on Switzerland... we are heavily dependent on the European and US economy and the Swiss National Bank had to invest Billions into keeping the Swiss Franc over 1.20 to the Euro, otherwise our economy would have gone down the hill completely. Look at the CHF-THB exchange rate, it is closely following the EUR-THB / GBP-THB exchange rates on their way down, no matter the current strength of our (still growing) economy

Also, a possible US-Europe free trade agreement (currently in preparation) could give a devastating blow to our export industry...

Wouldn't the Swiss bank just have to print billions to keep the Franc of 1.2 to the Euro?

That's not investing billions.

Mr. Worldwide, can you name the places you have actually lived in? Presently, I live in China, for 3 years now, so can I speak about anything Chinese with more authority than you? you bet. If you actually need me to explain what I meant, then you don't know much about China. But you ask and I can inform.

Wait - I have to *live* in China to question the statement 'I fear for Thailand', prefaced by a 'he he' ? Clearly, that trip to Guilin was a total waste of time - all those folk going about their business was just a smokescreen for the Yellow Horde massing at the border. Thanks for the heads up - I'll stay away from that nasty Thailand for the next 50 or so years.

The statistics of the thai tourism industry says, that every year the number of foreign tourists is higher then the year before!

On the other hand, some say Thailand will be become to expensive !

We should also take a eye, how much the prices of the daily food go up, within the last 2 years, one time I found a nice website showing the monthly price diffrence of the daily food living coasts etc!

How high the bath must rise, and the euro fall, that we have the same coasts like in the eu another 30 procent?

I still save a lot, when I stay here, not must pay 3500€ for a oil tank to heat up my house for 6 month!

For food, I pay here less then the half!

In other words 2 people , can live here for the price that I pay alone ,in my homecountry!

The inflation in Thailand is much lower then in the eu !

If the euro go down to 30 bath,what I beloved at end of this year, then it's another story,we will see what happen,we must be optimistic!